Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 17:22   #3061
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Are there any other localities that has good hotels and close to the highway and if you can suggest any names of accommodations as well.
We have broken our journey several times at Hotel or at a relative's place near the Pune Bypass while heading to Goa or other southerly locations and have previously stayed at the Holiday Inn (now Ramada) and the Orchid Hotel, Wakad. Both were good, clean and comfortable options and are right on the highway. You will just have to take a u-turn for both since they are located on the north / Mumbai bound lane, but this is a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninadtarambale View Post
Latest govt guidelines from Maharashtra (released on 1st Dec) state RTPCR test within 48 hours of arrival is compulsory without exceptions. Has anyone travelled between yesterday / today? Are they expecting RTPCR reports or would they test on arrival? .....To be safe, I'll carry hard copies of the vaccine certificate & RTPCR reports.
We travelled last weekend so of course cannot be sure with the new guidelines, but at that time there was absolutely no checking whatsoever at KA - MH border and all the check posts / nakas were empty with no one manning them. I agree that it is better to be safe and carry a PCR report just in case, which is also what we did.
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 18:58   #3062
BHPian

Hi. I am planning a drive to Coorg from Pune in the last week of December. I wanted to understand the latest rules for Vaccination / RTPCR for both KA and MH.

I understand that I need an RTPCR when I enter KA from MH. However will I need to get another RTPCR done when I returning back after 1 week? I am a resident of Pune.

Also - what are the rules with respect to children (age 14 years), since he is not vaccinated.
Old 5th December 2021, 19:37   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
However will I need to get another RTPCR done when I returning back after 1 week? I am a resident of Pune.
If you are fully vaccinated, then you don't need a RT-PCR negative report while returning to Pune.

Quote:
Also - what are the rules with respect to children (age 14 years), since he is not vaccinated.
I would play safe and get it done for the child too. At least that's what I am going to do when I travel to Goa soon.

As with everything related to Covid, this situation might change overnight, so keep scanning the news on and off. The Mumbai-Pune-Goa route query and Interstate travel restrictions threads have useful updates on this topic too.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th December 2021 at 19:48.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 10:08   #3064

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Sorry mate. Only God knows what the MH govt is upto.

I’d just carry the latest rt pcr and get on with it. Have a safe and smooth journey.
Thanks Trooper. Yeah, that's exactly what we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
We travelled last weekend so of course cannot be sure with the new guidelines, but at that time there was absolutely no checking whatsoever at KA - MH border and all the check posts / nakas were empty with no one manning them. I agree that it is better to be safe and carry a PCR report just in case, which is also what we did.

Quote:
I understand that I need an RTPCR when I enter KA from MH. However will I need to get another RTPCR done when I returning back after 1 week? I am a resident of Pune.
We passed the KA - MH border check post around midnight of 4th Dec. A few cops stopped us, looked at my KA registered Thar & asked in Hindi if we had taken the vaccine, when I replied back in Marathi telling him that we had both the vaccine certificate & the negative test reports, he let us through without even having a look at either docs. It didn't look like they were checking any documents at all though, another GJ registered Duster also went through the check post quite quickly.
ninadtarambale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:04   #3065
BHPian

Guys, Maharashtra has made RTPCR compulsory only for air travellers, not for road travel whereas Karnataka has again made the same mandatory even for road travel. For a change, instead of driving down my Polo, I travelled by bus - VRL Volvo B11R multiaxle semisleeper on 4th Dec from Mumbai to Belgaum. RTPCR was duly chekced of all 53 passengers onboard by the cops. Forget cops, the bus crew checks it very strictly (much stricter than cops ) right at Mumbai before boarding.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 12:20   #3066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Forget cops, the bus crew checks it very strictly (much stricter than cops ) right at Mumbai before boarding.
This has been the case ever since negative RTPCR was made mandatory and I had mentioned it too that the first level of checks happen during boarding itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I know for a fact that the conductors, especially for an interstate journey ask for vaccination certificate before even looking at the e-ticket SMS or print-out and only then allow you to board the bus.
What is sad is this rule itself - A rule that is simply a kneejerk reaction and is passing the buck to travelers from other states who are responsible to spread Covid.

In fact, newspapers also reports how even the daily travelers who cross Kognoli checkpost to work in the border districts were also asked to return if they had no certificate.

Karnataka residents entering Maharashtra sans vaccine cert or RT-PCR report sent back

The same newspapers also have deleted the word Covid/Corona from their dictionary and have added Omicron now that they have started to report it as "new case of Omicron detected in xx state" giving us a glimpse of how it all started in Feb/March 2020 .

I also expect a tit for tat reaction due to this now:

Omicron patients in Karnataka: Maharashtra puts bordering villages on alert

Quote:
After two people in Karnataka have tested positive for the Omicron coronavirus variant, the State government has put bordering villages in Maharashtra on alert. Especially, vehicular movement from Karnataka is under strict vigilance in Kolhapur and Sangli districts.

In Kolhapur, the district administration was keeping a check on passengers coming from Karnataka. The police administration checked RT-PCR test results and vaccination certificates of travellers.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th December 2021 at 12:24.
Old 6th December 2021, 21:00   #3067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Sorry mate. Only God knows what the MH govt is upto.

I’d just carry the latest rt pcr and get on with it. Have a safe and smooth journey.
We are planning to start on 17th December afternoon for Mumbai with a night halt at Davangere. Now that means we need to give sample on 16th for RTPCR and get data on 16th evening. With 48 hours rule this test is invalid on 18th December when we will cross into MH, in case it is mandatory. Other choice is to give sample post noon on 16th so that it is valid even for 18th for most of the day.
All this makes sense only if MH mandates the test for road travelers.
Old 7th December 2021, 13:01   #3068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
All this makes sense only if MH mandates the test for road travelers.
As of today, the rule for incoming domestic travelers to MH is fully vaccinated OR negative RT-PCR with 72 hours validity. So, if you are fully vaccinated I think you can skip the negative RT-PCR. Mostly this rule will remain unless the situation worsens, so do keep on scanning the news on & off.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 13:13   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Maharashtra has made RTPCR compulsory only for air travellers, not for road travel whereas Karnataka has again made the same mandatory even for road travel. For a change, instead of driving down my Polo, I travelled by bus - VRL Volvo B11R multiaxle semisleeper on 4th Dec from Mumbai to Belgaum. RTPCR was duly chekced of all 53 passengers onboard by the cops. Forget cops, the bus crew checks it very strictly (much stricter than cops ) right at Mumbai before boarding.
So last night, I travelled back to Mumbai from Belgaum, KA by VRL Volvo B11R again. That was a Bangalore--Pune--Mumbai bus. Neither RTPCR nor vaccination certificate was checked on our entry into Maharashtra Infact didn't realise when we crossed over into MH. This is the level of stupidity happening in our country currently. MH cops are not bothered about people travelling by bus, may be they don't spread Covid ,
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:03   #3070

Quote:
I wanted to understand the latest rules for Vaccination / RTPCR for both KA and MH.

Hi.
The new rules are pretty clear now. However, please allow me to share my experience.

I drove down from Mumbai to Kerala, starting on 4th December early morning. I was accompanied by my 14 year old son & our 4 year old pet dog.
I'm fully vaccinated (both doses) and my son being <18 is not.

I was carrying the following documents in a file with me:
1. My final vaccination certificate.
2. My son's & my RT-PCR negative report (sample taken on 3rd morning 9 AM)
3. Since we were transiting Tamil Nadu, the TN state travel pass.
4. Kerala state entry & travel pass.

We do undertake this travel quite often (less so during Covid-19 times) & it's been our practice to break the entire 1500+ km journey at Hubli and Bangalore. We could do the entire journey with one break as well, but as parents (of the human & the pet) we find it comfortable for all, if we break the journey as BOM-HUB, HUB-BLR, BLR-KL.

We were stopped at the MH-KL border and asked two questions,
1: Where are you coming from: "Mumbai".
2: Where are you going to: "Kerala".

Before any further conversation, we were waived off hurriedly. The file with all the test reports & vaccination certificate, unopened in my hand.

On hindsight, had I mentioned my destination to be Hubli, the documents perhaps would have been checked.

I did see about 3 cars being asked to park on the broad median near the temporary check post. Not sure why? but I suspect their final destinations were within KA & they were perhaps without the RT PCR. I'm just speculating here.

No other checks anywhere.
My observation in Hubli was that 1% of general population was wearing masks. Bangalore was tad better. TN & KL were way better in wearing of masks.

No further checks for anything in either KA-TN border or TN-KL border.

Hope this helps.
Yatra Moksha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 17:11   #3071
BHPian

Drove down to Mumbai from Bangalore on the 4th Dec. We started around 4:45 AM (We were late to start by 1 hr 45 mins). Below are my observations:
  1. The total number of diversions on this route until Belgaum has come down to 2!
  2. The roads between Chitradurga to Satara seem to have random bad patches. The potholes are not back breakers but then they may get bigger as the days pass.
  3. Expect mileage to improve as you drive towards Maharashtra. No idea why but I observed this.
  4. There are sufficient diversions in place on the Mum-Pun expressway. This is because those stretches are under repair / concrete work.
  5. there is a check for RT-PCR / Vaccination when travelling towards Maharashtra, however, it is very cursory and nobody bothers to check your actual papers.
Old 9th December 2021, 07:50   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So last night, I travelled back to Mumbai from Belgaum, KA by VRL Volvo B11R again. That was a Bangalore--Pune--Mumbai bus. Neither RTPCR nor vaccination certificate was checked on our entry into Maharashtra Infact didn't realise when we crossed over into MH. This is the level of stupidity happening in our country currently. MH cops are not bothered about people travelling by bus, may be they don't spread Covid ,
Please keep on updating here if you happen to cross borders either side. I am starting on 17th Dec and will be entering MH on 18th.
Old 9th December 2021, 09:12   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
Drove down to Mumbai from Bangalore on the 4th Dec. We started around 4:45 AM (We were late to start by 1 hr 45 mins). Below are my observations: until Belgaum has come down to 2!
[*] Expect mileage to improve as you drive towards Maharashtra. No idea why but I observed this.[*]
One hypothesis is that the elevation between the two cities. You keep going down towards Maharashtra and into Mumbai which is almost sea level, compared to Bangalore that’s elevated. You will notice many stretches that are declines. From Mumbai, towards Bangalore, you’ll see many stretches that are slight inclines. Similar stuff happens when driving to Madras where you get better mileage than coming into Bangalore from Madras.
Old 9th December 2021, 09:28   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
One hypothesis is that the elevation between the two cities. You keep going down towards Maharashtra and into Mumbai which is almost sea level, compared to Bangalore that’s elevated. You will notice many stretches that are declines. From Mumbai, towards Bangalore, you’ll see many stretches that are slight inclines. Similar stuff happens when driving to Madras where you get better mileage than coming into Bangalore from Madras.
I feel it has a dependency on where you are from. Usually when you return from your hometown the car will be full of stuff (atleast my personal experience and with many people around) and it will reduce the mileage
Old 9th December 2021, 10:13   #3075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normaltusker View Post
[*] Expect mileage to improve as you drive towards Maharashtra. No idea why but I observed this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
One hypothesis is that the elevation between the two cities. You keep going down towards Maharashtra and into Mumbai which is almost sea level, compared to Bangalore that’s elevated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
I feel it has a dependency on where you are from. Usually when you return from your hometown the car will be full of stuff (atleast my personal experience and with many people around) and it will reduce the mileage
From my experience, I will attribute this gain in mileage due to the following factors:
  • Once you hit Maharashtra, the traffic increases multifold and that invariably keeps your speeds in check. No matter what, you will get very less straight long stretches where you can maintain anything above 100 kmph. Even if you do, you will need to brake ahead due to some reason or the other

• There are 2 wheelers and misc traffic on the left lane. Then there are MSRTC buses and private cars on the other lane. All of them usually maintain 80-90 kmph and that means you will mostly drive "along" with this traffic with little chances to overtake with ease unless you get a clean view and good stretch. In summary, traffic flow here is like a herd of sheep maintaining the same pace

• You cross quite a few busy clusters starting with Kagal, Kolhapur Bypass, Islampur Industrial area, Karad & Satara bypass followed by Shirval to Katraj. These clusters also ensure that due to misc traffic your speeds remain in control even if you want to drive fast

• A combination of descent from Khambhatki, Katraj and Lonavala Ghats certainly influence the FE figures because on these ghats during onward journey to Pune/Mumbai, you will get a lot of stretches where your car will keep gliding at 80-100 kmph without throttle input

• The Pune - Mumbai Expressway all the way till Panvel too will aid immensely in bettering that FE because the traffic on this 100+ km stretch maintains steady pace (especially cars), has very less instances where you have to brake to near zero speeds and start all over again. The stretch from Expressway entry till Lonavala and then the other one from Khalapur toll till Panvel are the ones where you keep maintaining steady speeds without touching your brakes even once

Compare these with the runway between Chitradurga and Hubli - This is where you will certainly do very good speeds no matter what.

Hubli - Dharwad bypass is another section where there will be a lot of instances in those 30 km where you will have to shift to 2nd gear to manage overtakes.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th December 2021 at 10:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks