Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 09:45   #3016
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
With a break of 30-45 minutes, you are looking at around 5.5 to 6 hours till Tumkur. These timings can still be bettered but what is posted is realistic.

With a break of 30-45 minutes, Tumkur to Madikeri via Hassan highway will take you 5.5/6 hours.

In summary, you should be budgeting anywhere from 11.5/13 hours for Belgaum to Madikeri via : Dharwad - Hubli - Haveri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Holenarasipura - Arkalgud - Kushalnagar - Madikeri.

The above route is all dual carriageway except after Channarayapatna all the way till Madikeri.
Our trip is this coming weekend but still having a few doubts on the best route for Pune>Madikere.

Our accommodation is actually a little past Madikere in Kanoor, this is where we plan to stay (we are driving from Pune): https://goo.gl/maps/4Hbrb617pTTwpkGi8

As I am the only one driving and prefer not to do more than 10 hours in a day, and absolutely no night driving, I was thinking of driving Pune>Tumkur on day 1 (I have done Pune>Bangalore many times and am somehow more confident about this stretch), and then Tumkur>Kanoor on Day 2. As this will then be amazing roads pretty much all the way, avoiding single lane carriageways as much as possible.

Are there any 4/5 star hotels in Tumkur or nearby that anyone recommends? Really looking for a JW Marriott or equivalent, don't mind a little bit before or after Tumkur as well but ideally don't want to enter Bangalore of course as well.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:20   #3017
BHPian

If I were to do this drive, I would look at a stopover at Belgaum (Fairfield Marriott) or Hubli (Fortune Park by ITC, Denissons, or Naveen Lakeside) which would satisfy both the hotel quality as well as daily driving duration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Our trip is this coming weekend but still having a few doubts on the best route for Pune>Madikere.

Our accommodation is actually a little past Madikere in Kanoor, this is where we plan to stay (we are driving from Pune): https://goo.gl/maps/4Hbrb617pTTwpkGi8

As I am the only one driving and prefer not to do more than 10 hours in a day, and absolutely no night driving, I was thinking of driving Pune>Tumkur on day 1 (I have done Pune>Bangalore many times and am somehow more confident about this stretch), and then Tumkur>Kanoor on Day 2. As this will then be amazing roads pretty much all the way, avoiding single lane carriageways as much as possible.

Are there any 4/5 star hotels in Tumkur or nearby that anyone recommends? Really looking for a JW Marriott or equivalent, don't mind a little bit before or after Tumkur as well but ideally don't want to enter Bangalore of course as well.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.
ccnarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:31   #3018
Distinguished - BHPian

Update | Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Hubli Bangalore |

As part of my drive to Rajkot from Bangalore and back over the last week, I happened to drive on Mumbai-Pune-Kolhapur-Hubli-Bangalore route during my return leg and here are some updates regarding the route conditions.

Since I had started from Rajkot on Saturday morning and dropped my folks at Gandhinagar and continued my drive towards Bangalore, I had entered Thane around 20:45, met and greeted few friends here spending 45 minutes before heading towards Pune after a refuel at HPCL, Kalamboli.
  • Kalamboli, Panvel | 22:50
  • Pune Bypass, Wakad | 00:20
  • Kognoli. Entry to Karnataka | 03:40
  • Bangalore, Yelahanka | 11:15
  • Total Travel time from Panvel to Bangalore - 11 Hours & 25 minutes
Breaks Taken:
  • Wakad Junction, Pune Bypass : 15 minutes
  • Hattaragi Toll Plaza for windscreen cleaning : 5 minutes
  • Breakfast & refueling at Chitradurga : 20 minutes
  • Cruising speeds: 110-120 kmph
Route conditions:
  • Mumbai - Pune Expressway had decent traffic including GJ cars heading towards Goa/Konkan post Diwali. I had good company of these cars all the way till Nippani. Condition of expressway remains good for the amount of traffic and age of this very road. No complaints

• Pune bypass was better with hardly 2 diversions and overall a clean affair

• Khedshivpur to Satara is only bumpy and uneven with 3 diversions. The bone of contention is the uneven road surface itself that slows you down and not the surface of the road as such. This coupled with misc traffic can make the driving experience miserable during the day. But when I drove this section at night, I was able to reach Satara from Pune bypass in 90 minutes!

• Satara to Kolhapur is excellent as always. The concrete section has held up absolutely very well

• Kolhapur to Belgaum remains good though there are small sections that have become bumpy but this is a point to make only because the said section has been one of the very best on this entire highway

• I was greeted with thick blanket of fog few kms before Belgaum that lasted all the way till Ranebennur. This slowed down my pace drastically as I had to reduce my cruising speeds due to hampered visibility.

• Dharwad-Hubli Bypass remains good with occasional rumble strips (small speedbreakers) and this 30km single carriageway stretch costs 90 bucks!

• Hubli to Chitradurga has 3 diversions but the entire road is now fully done. The only diversion that was in deplorable state was one passing Motebennur. Otherwise, this entire section is a runway.

• Chitradurga Bypass to Tumkur is excellent all the way

• Tumkur bypass that I had reported as pothole ridden 3 weeks back is now fully patched up on both sides. The patchwork isn't anything great (Since this section is not maintained by NHAI), but much better than the potholes that existed few days back

• Tumkur (Khyatasandra) to Nelamangala, good roads, mad driving by usual suspects returning back to Bangalore

• I diverted off Tumkur road towards Doddaballapura at Dabaspete to avoid irritation and impatience for the last part of my marathon drive. Realised that Dabaspete to Doddaballapura roadwork has gained a lot of momentum now with lot of road widening, bridge construction, pillar erection etc taking place.
Status on Covid related checks at Karnataka entry point:

I had very clearly decided that I won't be taking negative RTPCR as I was driving straight from Rajkot, merely transiting MH and then entering Karnataka. Since I was also solo, I was ready to take the risk and explain the cops at the checkpost that I am driving straight without halting in MH with the proof on my FASTag app. Luckily, the border checkpost was clear as you notice from this video:

Here's a dashcam grab that shows the foggy conditions from Sankeshwar. This was the same scene all the way till Ranebennur:
Total toll paid between Panvel and Dabaspete:

Name:  MumbaiBnagalore Toll.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  218.9 KB

Refueling at HPCL, Kalamboli, before expressway start:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20211106_225000.jpg

Fog somewhere around Ranebennur:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-fog.jpg

Total trip meter reading after the marathon non-stop drive from Rajkot to Bangalore:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-20211107_112244.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th November 2021 at 10:32.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:39   #3019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
If I were to do this drive, I would look at a stopover at Belgaum (Fairfield Marriott) or Hubli (Fortune Park by ITC, Denissons, or Naveen Lakeside) which would satisfy both the hotel quality as well as daily driving duration.
Thanks for your reply.

The original plan was to stay at Fairfield Marriott in Belgaum, however as I prefer to take the Tumkur>Madikere highway rather than diverting off at Davangere to Madikere via single lane state highways, I feel that Belgaum>Tumkur>Madikere may just be too much for a one day drive. Especially as are staying in an estate with no paved roads so really want to get there in daylight.

So suggestions for similar quality hotels anywhere around Tumkur? Don't mind even if it is before by an hour or 2 or just after. Thanks!

Ps. All the fuss about driving only on decent 3/4 laned roads is that I've done most of my driving in Europe and so really want to avoid single lane highways as honestly find them too too stressful! Sorry in advance for being fussy.
Old 9th November 2021, 10:43   #3020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So suggestions for similar quality hotels anywhere around Tumkur? Don't mind even if it is before by an hour or 2 or just after. Thanks!
Tumkur as of today my not have anything good that I can help with. Even the famed Naveen Regency has lost its popularity over the years, thanks to proximity of Tumkur to Bangalore.

Your only choice would be few resorts closer to Nelamangala towards Hassan, something like this one : Ankit Vista Resorts
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 10:44   #3021
MCR
BHPian

Had to travel to Pune fron Bangalore for an official trip and decided to drive (Decided not to take a flight due to COVID-19 fear).

After driving on butter smooth and 3 laned NH4 till Karnataka Border, was in for a shock as soon as we entered Maharashtra.

Since we were driving on Sunday evening post Deepavali, the traffic inside Maharashtra was absolutely crazy. Add to it the below average road conditions (by expressway standards), >1km traffic jams at toll booths we could reach Pune only by 1.15AM.

Even with Fastag, the toll booths were clogged (especially one near Karad, which is right after a bridge) and we wasted close to 3 hours just to clear the same. Even with the huge rush the barriers were not lifted and people allowed to pass freely.
There seems to be some major administrative problem in MH which is leading to this Chaos.

Anyways, the only good point of the drive inside MH was some good food at Amar Dabha near Satara.

Return was on Monday afternoon (yesterday) and though the traffic was sparse, we spent at least 10 minutes at each toll booth.

We hit Karnataka border at around 7.30PM and were stopped by "Marathi" speaking staff asking for a reason for travel. Had to literally shout back in Kannada saying we are returning from Pune after a Business trip and they let us pass immediately.
This "stopping" and "checking" was random and not all cars were stopped, including MH registered cars. We were in a KA registered car.

Was happy to be back on Smooth 3 laned NH4 once in Karnataka.

Lesson learnt : Do not enter MH from KA side during evening times and on Sunday evening, especially after a long festival Vacation.

I seriously hope NHAI works on improving the road condition upto Pune.

Last edited by MCR : 9th November 2021 at 10:47. Reason: Typo
MCR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:05   #3022
BHPian

You can consider splitting the journey at Hubli since that would make the driving time nearly equal on both days.

I don't know of anything good in Tumkur. Another aspect is even in Tumkur, you will start feeling the heat of Bangalore traffic.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

The original plan was to stay at Fairfield Marriott in Belgaum, however as I prefer to take the Tumkur>Madikere highway rather than diverting off at Davangere to Madikere via single lane state highways, I feel that Belgaum>Tumkur>Madikere may just be too much for a one day drive. Especially as are staying in an estate with no paved roads so really want to get there in daylight.

Ps. All the fuss about driving only on decent 3/4 laned roads is that I've done most of my driving in Europe and so really want to avoid single lane highways as honestly find them too too stressful! Sorry in advance for being fussy.
ccnarayanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:35   #3023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Lesson learnt : Do not enter MH from KA side during evening times and on Sunday evening, especially after a long festival Vacation.

I seriously hope NHAI works on improving the road condition upto Pune.
THis has been an issue since so many years, crossing Khed Shivpur toll plaza is like attaining Nirvana. For some reason, people in MH never follow lane discipline while waiting to pay toll, they simply try to barge in between. Its best avoided to enter MH (especially Pune) on Sundays or as Parag does, drive at graveyard shift.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 14:45   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Tumkur as of today my not have anything good that I can help with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
You can consider splitting the journey at Hubli since that would make the driving time nearly equal on both days.

I don't know of anything good in Tumkur. Another aspect is even in Tumkur, you will start feeling the heat of Bangalore traffic.
Mulling over another option, of doing Pune>Bangalore direct, staying at Sheraton in Brigade Gateway, Orion Mall. Stopping for a night meeting some friends, and then heading the next day to Madikere via Tumkur.

How is the Tumkur<>Yeshwanthpur stretch now? Google Maps says approx an hour from Tumkur toll to Sheraton - is that really reliable? I remember a few years ago that this stretch was horrible with construction and traffic and really tested your patience after a long drive.

If I were to leave Pune city around 6am, what time could we reasonably expect to get to Sheraton, Brigade Gateway with just brief fuel/toilet stops on the way?

Thanks again for all the inputs, really, really appreciate it.
Old 9th November 2021, 15:01   #3025
BHPian

Quote:
Mulling over another option, of doing Pune>Bangalore direct, staying at Sheraton in Brigade Gateway, Orion Mall. Stopping for a night meeting some friends, and then heading the next day to Madikere via Tumkur.

How is the Tumkur<>Yeshwanthpur stretch now? Google Maps says approx an hour from Tumkur toll to Sheraton - is that really reliable? I remember a few years ago that this stretch was horrible with construction and traffic and really tested your patience after a long drive.

If I were to leave Pune city around 6am, what time could we reasonably expect to get to Sheraton, Brigade Gateway with just brief fuel/toilet stops on the way?

Thanks again for all the inputs, really, really appreciate it.
That timeline is reasonable as in maps. Until the first signal, it is toll road which is not as fast as highways, but you will not get stalled as in past.
If you are planning Sheraton, Taj Yeshwantpur is even closer to the toll section.

I guess for Madikeri, you mean the Blr-Mangalore road, which you need to divert at Nelamagala.

I am expecting a 12 hour drive, it might be better with a 5AM start to get ahead of Karad-Kolhapur industrial area traffic ?
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:54   #3026
Senior - BHPian

If you are driving inside city, there is a Taj at Yeshwantpur bang on Pune-Bangalore road itself after the Nelamngala-Yeshwantpur elevated section.

If you are starting at 6am Pune, you'll end up in Kolhapur at morning peak traffic and Bangalore in evening peak traffic. Expect about 14 hours drive.

You don't need to goto Tumkur for Madikeri from Bangalore.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 08:27   #3027
BHPian

Quote:

Update | Mumbai Pune Kolhapur Hubli Bangalore |

...before heading towards Pune after a refuel at HPCL, Kalamboli.
  • Kalamboli, Panvel | 22:50
  • Pune Bypass, Wakad | 00:20
  • Kognoli. Entry to Karnataka | 03:40
  • Bangalore, Yelahanka | 11:15
  • Total Travel time from Panvel to Bangalore - 11 Hours & 25 minutes
Breaks Taken:
  • Wakad Junction, Pune Bypass : 15 minutes
  • Hattaragi Toll Plaza for windscreen cleaning : 5 minutes
  • Breakfast & refueling at Chitradurga : 20 minutes
  • Cruising speeds: 110-120 kmph
This is some inspiration. I happen to do my long drive from Panvel to Mysore and the route will be more or less the same for some stretch.
This will be my first long drive (1000kms approx). The maximum I had last time was a 250km distance(Panvel to Satara) covered in approx 5 hours. I mostly avoid night driving that too on isolated internal roads. I prefer to start early in the morning.

Any advice for me considering this is my first long drive?
Old 10th November 2021, 09:55   #3028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshift View Post
Any advice for me considering this is my first long drive?
While I have been regularly doing Mumbai-Pune-Bangalore or even Rajkot/Ahmedabad - Bangalore since more than 15 years, I always say that I learn more and more from each of these drives. Here are some of the tips that I can give you to prepare yourself for the long drive:
  • Start very early, 0400am types - This will help you get the best average speeds and cover longer distances before everyone else gets on the road
  • Drive at steady speeds and merit of roads
  • Do not have a set target to reach a specific destination or break point
  • Don't constantly keep looking at Googlemap's ETA - It can show delays or faster progress and that can alter your mindset and driving depending on whether you are too late (and hence will drive faster) or early (and would want to reach even earlier)
  • Expect the unexpected - Traffic jams, roadblocks, delays to cross the booth
  • Expect the expected - Unruly drivers, misc town and village traffic, traffic police flagging you down during the day to check documents etc
  • Keep yourself hydrated all the times
  • As your family regularly if they need a break and take one (or many) if needed
  • Have at least 2-3 options for both your refueling as well as food breaks - This helps you whenever you have made better progress or are delayed. Feed these locations onto the maps or share them with your fellow passengers over a text message/whatsapp so it is handy and you dont have to spend time searching for one
  • Accept the fact that you can be delayed to reach your destination and no 2 drives on such long stretches can be the same in terms of timing and can vary significantly
  • When you are closer to reaching your destination, try to exercise extreme patience for it is natural to get irritated by the behavior of fellow road users when you have another 2 hours to reach. You don't want to rush to reach that destination and this rush should not be a reason for any untoward incident that can spoil your trip
  • Lastly, drive in such a way that the energy and enthusiasm levels remain consistent throughout the journey - I have often seen drivers overtake at superfast speeds and then somewhere ahead they are driving dead slow only because they are either tired or have lost interest due to driving all day. This can be done well only when you drive at a consistent speed than rush
paragsachania is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:45   #3029
BHPian

Some respite to MH short term travelers into KA with regards to RT-PCR, conditions apply

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le37391409.ece
Awaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 18:25   #3030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaz View Post
Some respite to MH short term travelers into KA with regards to RT-PCR, conditions apply

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le37391409.ece
And some confusion (as always) too!

Most Viewed