Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 13:01   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
The link you shared shows place in Gujrat. Curious to know because we never enter Chitradurga and always took bypass earlier except Harihar and Davanagere.
That's a wrong link that got pasted may be because I may be responding elsewhere for queries on Gujarat too. So ignore that.

You can refer to the bypass here:

Dropped pin
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8bkjAtJjYqSC2rpy6

However, the bypass being referred to here for Chitradurga here is the "new" and "longer" bypass that actually justifies the word bypass. It is also 3+3 lanes as you can notice from the images shared in previous posts.

What we have been travelling so far is the old bypass whicj became fully operational only around 2010-11 when the dreaded Chitradurga Haveri section became fully 4 lane after a long gap. It was during this time most of us wondered why Chitradurga bypass actually is just 4 lane and not really far away from the main city while the entire Golden Quadrilateral was then designed in such a way that most bridges were already 6 lane to make it easier when roads get expanded (and that's really helping today).

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th September 2021 at 13:02.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 18:51   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_boundaries View Post
Apart from this, MH traffic cops stopped my KA regd car 2 times and ran my plates through their handled device. They requested for documents, verified and let me go. I wasn't sure why they stopped me and I asked if there was a problem and I didn't get any response.
This is quite normal. I have seen this happen on both sides of the fence. MH vehicles get randomly stopped by KA cops and KA vehicles by MH cops. What they (the cops) are essentially looking for is your PUC. This is commonly the most ignored item when people travel interstate!
normaltusker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 13:57   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Some good news for folks with CNG cars.

Managed to do the entire Bangalore-Navi Mumbai stretch just on CNG. In the Navi Mumbai to Bangalore stretch we managed to do about 75% on cng. Took about 18 hrs each way

That said, it takes a whole while long to wait for CNG. At one pump in MH, we went and had dinner while one of us waited in line.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 14:27   #2974
BHPian

How are the road conditions from Chitradurga to Davangere, especially the WIP sections and the diversions?

I remember it is to be a massive pain in the rear, especially for a low slung hatchback like mine.

Happy to note the diversions being complete from Davangere to Hubli, but equally disheartened to see the RT-PCR being asked despite folks being jabbed twice.

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 2nd October 2021 at 14:29.
Old 4th October 2021, 20:26   #2975
BHPian

Route update:
The new Toll counters at Bankapur Toll plaza are now operational but they are yet to raze down the old ones.

The road quality of the still remaining diversions has further deteriorated due to the recent torrential rains and one needs to be very careful while negotiating them.

They have also closed the Hubbali to Bengaluru side section of the flyover next to the Gujrat Ambuja cement plant. Is anyone aware of the reason? The flyover looked fine and neither did I observe any repair work going on.So another diversion added
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
How are the road conditions from Chitradurga to Davangere, especially the WIP sections and the diversions?
Heading from Chitradurga to Davangere I think there is only one diversion left.There are two diversions between Davangere and Hubbali.There are less diversions on the north bound side than south since they have opened the north bound sections of some flyovers between Chitradurga and Davangere

The road conditions of the diversions are pathetic but the completed sections are really good and smooth,all exits and lanes are well marked.
alokn87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 16:39   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
(1) Yes
(2) RT-PCR negative report is required to enter from MH to KA regardless of fully vaccinated.
I'm planning to drive from Bangalore to Pune with family on Saturday. Adults (Dad, Wife and me) are all doubly vaccinated long back and will carry the same. Both kids are below 12 (hence obviously not vaccinated as yet). Would the kids also need to have RT-PCR negative reports? Any idea?

On the return, I suppose all of us would have to have it.
Old 5th October 2021, 17:48   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
On the return, I suppose all of us would have to have it.
There is no requirement for negative RTPCR for entering into Maharashtra. However, when you enter into Karnataka from Maharashtra, you are required to produce negative RTPCR certificate.

Someone who I know travelled few days back and he mentioned that the authorities did not ask for negative RTPCR for kids once they confirmed the adults having the same.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 15:35   #2978
BHPian

Possible relief for travellers-The collector of Belgavi district of Karnataka has appealed to the state government to withdraw the RTPCR requirement to enter karnataka from Maharashtra.

Last edited by alokn87 : 13th October 2021 at 15:41.
alokn87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:33   #2979
BHPian

Did Bangalore - Pune on Saturday, 09-Sep-2021. After aiming to leave at 04:00 ish, managed to actually leave (Cooke Town) at around 05:45. Daybreak was by the time we reached Yeshwantpur (wanted it to be around Tumkur).

Roads were very busy with lots of private cars and truck traffic, making overtaking difficult till about Tumkur. Road surfaces were bad around Tumkur, esp. the flyovers.

After Tumkur the roads were really good and the traffic reduced too, making the drive fast and comfortable. And then the Chitradurga bypass was truly amazing!

Post monsoon landscape was green and refreshing throughout! What beauty!

Did only 3 stops. Breakfast at VRL after Tumkur (nice, fresh South Indian fare, very tasty and reasonable and also good place to stretch). Our second time there.

Second for lunch at Hotel Ramdev (inside Belgaum city, slightly off the bypass). Was recommended by my cousin who remembered it from the bus trips to Mangalore decades ago (and his Goa trips nowadays). The vegetarian restaurant Panchvati was very nice. Good food, superfast, efficient and friendly service and very reasonable. More than made up for the few minutes lost in getting off the highway and into the city.

3rd and final stop was a short 5 minute refuelling stop at Hattagiri (which is now IOCL and not BPCL, but good)!

On entering Maharashtra (where I have lived for 18 years) the scenery changes and road surface around Kolhapur is not too good, with a lot of traffic. That said, it improves by the time you are closer to Satara, right till Pune. Enabling good high speed runs. Also the painted rumble strips (that get closer as you proceed) in Maharashtra before every junction / toll booth are tad annoying and bone jarring! But we understand why they are there!

Touched Pune by around 18:30 hrs (12.75+ hours including breaks).

Since we had to visit and drop dad off at his brother's place in Pune (in Wanowrie) and stay the night there, we had to enter the city. On reaching the Katraj Tunnel, it poured. Lots of two wheeler riders took refuge from the deluge in the tunnel and hence narrowed it down, creating a mini jam. But the rain really slowed us down with the traffic through the flooded roads. Finally reaching uncle's home at 19:20 hrs.

Next morning left leisurely and by the time we finished shopping on MG Road (for Budhani / Kayani (closed on Sundays) stuff and navigated the aah-so-bumpy Pune roads (esp. along the BRTS) it was noon. Luckily my cousin had warned me of the speed cams on the expressway. Hence stayed below 100 throughout. Did not see anyone zooming on the Expressway, now I know the reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There is no requirement for negative RTPCR for entering into Maharashtra. However, when you enter into Karnataka from Maharashtra, you are required to produce negative RTPCR certificate.
Thanks a bunch! Entering Maharashtra was effortless. No barriers, nothing. Just drive through.

But on the opposite side vehicles had lined up entering Karnataka awaiting the RT-PCR confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokn87 View Post
Possible relief for travellers-The collector of Belgavi district of Karnataka has appealed to the state government to withdraw the RTPCR requirement to enter karnataka from Maharashtra.
I hope this comes through by next weekend by the time we return! Wondering how I can track this info and save the cost (and pain) of undertaking the RT-PCR for the whole family!

Last edited by Glifford : 14th October 2021 at 09:42. Reason: Added a line
Glifford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 13:44   #2980

Hello, can some recent travellers confirm if negative RT PCR report is required to enter Karwar from Goa. I will be returning to Bangalore via this route on Sunday.

We are fully vaccinate and carried certificates 2 weeks back to enter Goa. Only certificates were aksed for while entering Goa. Entry was quiet smooth and just took couple of minutes.
Old 15th October 2021, 14:51   #2981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimz_blr View Post
Hello, can some recent travellers confirm if negative RT PCR report is required to enter Karwar from Goa. I will be returning to Bangalore via this route on Sunday.

We are fully vaccinate and carried certificates 2 weeks back to enter Goa. Only certificates were aksed for while entering Goa. Entry was quiet smooth and just took couple of minutes.
I have posted this in a relevant thread. We returned from Goa entering Karnataka at Karwar yesterday and we were stopped and asked to produce vaccination reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just a quick update since we returned back to Bangalore yesterday.

Cops are asking for full vaccination report even when entering into Karnataka from Goa. We along with all the other vehicles were stopped at the Karnataka entry checkpost before Karwar and asked to produce details of full vaccination reports, details noted and allowed entry.

I am not sure if this is a new development or a temporary measure due to vacation season and extended weekend or even a tit for tat but nevertheless, expect this also to be a time consumer if you are returning back on Sunday.
Old 18th October 2021, 11:33   #2982
BHPian

We are planning to visit Coorg next month, driving down from Pune.

I know the Pune<>Bangalore route pretty well, having done this many times. However this time, due to the extra time/distance to Coorg, we plan to stop on the way, don't really mind where but it must be a decent 4/5 star hotel if possible.

The best 2 I could find were in Hubli, the Fortune Hotel near Hubli Airport (ITC), and the Naveen Lakeside Palace. Any recommendations on these? Ideally looking for something like a JW Marriott level but I know that may not be possible in these areas, so something as close as possible.

Also, does anyone know how the roads are from Hubli to Coorg? Google Maps gives 3 recommendations:

1. Take a right at Davangere and follow the road to Kadur>Hassan>Madikere.
2. Take a right at Chitradurga and follow the road to Hosadurga>Hassan>Madikere
3. Go all the way to Tumkur and take the Kunigal>Channarayapattanna>Madikere route (which I guess is the normal route from Bangalore?)

Any thoughts on the road conditions for these? I don't mind extra distance but looking at ease of driving and minimal traffic and potholes.

Thanks!
Old 18th October 2021, 12:38   #2983

Hello BHPians,

Last November I did Bangalore-Rajkot trip (~1800 kms) in a couple of days with your valuable inputs. I am now returning back to Bangalore, and this time I have a 9-month labrador puppy with me in the car as well.

Could someone help me with the route, stay (pet-friendly hotels) etc.? If I make an overnight stay near Vapi (Gujarat) and next day enter Karnataka, will they still ask for an RTPCR even if I have traveled from GJ? If someone has travelled with dogs, your tips would be really helpful. My dog has done a few 5-6 hour journeys very comfortably in my car, but this time it could be close to 24-26 hours and multiple overnight breaks as well, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, cheers!
Old 18th October 2021, 13:09   #2984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik_2810 View Post
will they still ask for an RTPCR even if I have traveled from GJ?
For those manning the check-post your car has still entered from Maharashtra, so needless to say, you will need to comply with the negative RTPCR requirements.

There is no escape from that.
Old 18th October 2021, 15:49   #2985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
We are planning to visit Coorg next month, driving down from Pune.

Thanks!
Hi

You won’t find the Marriott type properties at Hubli.

I’ve stayed at Naveen Lake Side twice. Decent place. Clean rooms and linen and hot breakfast with an ok spread. Ample parking.

On the route, I think option 2/3 makes sense and the roads are good in both options, I do feel that option 2 may be faster than 3

Enjoy the drive, enjoy Coorg.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed