Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:55   #1681
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Drove down from Ahmedabad to Bangalore on 8th of this month. Had issues bypassing Mumbai, from Ghodbunder road to Pune expressway it was frustrating. It was even more frustrating after we left the Mumbai-Pune expressway. Till we crossed Satara we never felt we were on a National Highway. This stretch was full of two wheelers, diversions & potholes.

IRB is looting not only in Mumbai but all across Maharashtra where they have toll booths. Roads under IRB management are horrible. After Satara nearing Karad (don't recollect the exact distance) the roads maintained by MSRDC are awesome. Then the entire stretch upto Bangalore is very good. Nothing to complain about on this stretch

After driving 900 KMS we decided against proceeding further. Stayed at Hotel Tanwani just off the highway on the entry road to Kolhapur. Good clean hotel, felt it was value for money @1K for double room. Comparable to many hotels charging @3K in other cities.

In Kolhapur price of petrol we realized was 3 rupees higher/ liter in the city than on highway. The attendant told us it is because of some local taxes.

Have to thank paragsachania for all his updates especially on the speed breakers.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:31   #1682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
In Kolhapur price of petrol we realized was 3 rupees higher/ liter in the city than on highway. The attendant told us it is because of some local taxes.
I have been telling it here many a times - Fuel is cheaper in Karnataka than Maharashtra. Another 18 kms ahead, you had Nippani BPCL COCO waiting for you .

For a full tank - you may have saved more than 100 bucks!
Old 23rd January 2015, 01:01   #1683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Thanks Parag!! Your comments are always valuable.
I have listed down the COCO outlets, speed humps details etc.

Leaving tomorrow, will update once I reach.
It was a pleasure driving on a weekday.
Left Bangalore at 05:00 PM on Tuesday and reached Kalyan (980 kms) by 06:00 AM ( 13 hours) with a dinner break at Kamat Rannebennur, refueling in Dharwad, short snacks break at MCD Kolhapur.
There was absolutely no delay at the toll booths in Maharashtra. Diversions after Satara was a little irritating but manageable.
Icing on the cake was predicting the speed breakers in Karnataka (courtesy Parag)
Old 30th January 2015, 09:42   #1684
BHPian

Returned back to Bangalore this Tuesday. Started from Kalyan at 11:00 PM and reached home at 12:00 PM. Some Observations :-
  • Leaving on a week day specially in the night meant a traffic free drive in Maharashtra
  • Did not found truck or Bus traffic, low private cars. most of them on the Pune expressway.
  • Driving in the night without traffic was breeze, though eating options were limited. Usually I take a break at Kailash Bhel @ Khed Shivpur but found it closed in the night.
  • A coffee break at MCD did not go well, as I found a bunch of drunk hooligans and had to quickly wrap up and leave (~03:00 AM)
  • No waiting at the toll booths, maximum I waited at a booth was 3-4 mins
  • Driving within Karnataka was event free.
  • Completed 980 kms in 13 hours, may be for the last time, looking back I fell I should have done it more peacefully.
Old 4th February 2015, 10:23   #1685
BHPian

I have a family trip coming up to Kolhapur in April. Will it be advisable to drive down from Bombay to Kolhapur in a WagonR with a 1 year old kid in tow ?
Old 4th February 2015, 11:35   #1686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I have a family trip coming up to Kolhapur in April. Will it be advisable to drive down from Bombay to Kolhapur in a WagonR with a 1 year old kid in tow ?
April would just be getting hotter. Ideally good to reach your destination before Sun begins to show tantrums. I know its difficult to start at planned time when you have a toddler but you can always try.

If you can plan an early start around 5AM from Mumbai, you can be in Kolhapur 5.5-6 Hours max with all your breaks.

There is nothing specific to worry either about the car or the fact that you have a 1 year toddler accompanying you. I only picked up the Ertiga last year before which I have been driving with my daughter when she was 3 months to Pune and back from Bangalore on a regular basis in my WagonR itself.

On Roads:
  • Expressway needs no specific mention on its conditions. Good all the way
  • Early start from Mumbai can also help you get out of the hectic Pune (bypass) in less than 30 minutes (8-10am is peak)
  • Pune-Satara is where 6 lane expansion is in progress but this in no way makes the road non motorable with kids - Just keep a pace such that you are able to slow down in time for those diversions (Diversions are patched well now)
  • After Satara Bypass all the way till Kolhapur its a concrete good quality road

Breaks: I would advise as long as the baby is asleep, simply keep driving. Some of the options for you to stop will be:
  1. McDonalds after Khedshivpur Toll
  2. Parth Food Court - This houses Dominos, CCD and more and on the left hand side
  3. Vittal Kamat (Exactly 100 kms from Khedshivpur Toll)
  4. Sai International - This one Approx 30 kms after crossing Karad Town Bypass

On Traveling with a toddler:

Ensure to carry everything that is related to Baby (& travel) - Pick up Bottle Warmer which will help keep that Milk bottle contents hot all through when plugged, Electric Kettle that can help you prepare hot milk or liquid solution at any Hotel or a Fuel station by plugging in for less than a minute.

Refer this thread for more on Mumbai-Kolhapur Belt.

A lot of threads on Traveling with Infants (Car seats, Travelogue and more):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-goa-106.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bies-kids.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ift-dzire.html

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th February 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Added more details on Breaks
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 11:17   #1687
Senior - BHPian

I have a Pune-Bangalore-Mysore trip coming up during the Holi weekend. Will be driving my 50K+ run 2010 Swift Vdi. Planning to Start by 5-6 ish in the morning. Will be travelling with my Parents and wifey.
1-Is this a good time to start or should I start earlier?
2-Anything in particular I need to take care Off during the trip.
3-How is the situation in KA in terms of the RTO stopping non KA cars? I already carry all original docs of the car + my company I card + recent car service reciept + will preserve all toll receipts+ fuel bills etc.
4- Road conditions (If anything has been changed apart from what paragsachania has mentioned)
Old 16th February 2015, 11:28   #1688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have a Pune-Bangalore-Mysore trip coming up during the Holi weekend. Will be driving my 50K+ run 2010 Swift Vdi. Planning to Start by 5-6 ish in the morning. Will be travelling with my Parents and wifey.

Is Bangalore a must stop? Else you should do:

Hiriyur - Huliyar - Neligere - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna-Mysore

Much better an option. More details available here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...option-10.html

Last edited by ampere : 16th February 2015 at 11:29.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 11:34   #1689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is Bangalore a must stop? Else you should do:

Hiriyur - Huliyar - Neligere - Nagamangala - Srirangapatna-Mysore

Much better an option. More details available here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...option-10.html
I will be visiting my cousins in Bangalore plus some sightseeing ,hence.
Old 16th February 2015, 13:04   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
1-Is this a good time to start or should I start earlier?
2-Anything in particular I need to take care Off during the trip.
3-How is the situation in KA in terms of the RTO stopping non KA cars? I already carry all original docs of the car + my company I card + recent car service reciept + will preserve all toll receipts+ fuel bills etc.
4- Road conditions (If anything has been changed apart from what paragsachania has mentioned)
1. 5 AM should be good, as you can travel as much as possible before it gets noon.
2. As this would be onset of summer, one should carry plenty of fluids. Fuel should be cheaper in KA.
3. RTO would not bother white board vehicles. Just have original docs of car + Insurance.
4. On KA side, road conditions have been as good as it has been the recent past.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 20:48   #1691
BHPian

Hello all,
Planning a Mumbai-Bangalore soon. Besides BPCL coco, how are the HPCL pumps? Reliable? Credit cards? Any info on location would also be very beneficial. There will be a stopover at Belgaum.
Thanks.
Old 19th February 2015, 21:24   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Hello all,
Planning a Mumbai-Bangalore soon. Besides BPCL coco, how are the HPCL pumps? Reliable? Credit cards? Any info on location would also be very beneficial. There will be a stopover at Belgaum.
Thanks.
Scroll back a few pages for the location of COCO fuel stations. You will get all the info required.
Old 21st February 2015, 20:32   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Scroll back a few pages for the location of COCO fuel stations. You will get all the info required.
Thanks Parag. Any pointers on peak traffic hours for entry into Bangalore? Destination is Mekhri Circle thereabouts.
Old 21st February 2015, 23:04   #1694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Thanks Parag. Any pointers on peak traffic hours for entry into Bangalore? Destination is Mekhri Circle thereabouts.
8 to 11am and 6 to 8pm. Strictly avoid reaching end of NTBL (Goreguntepalya) between these times.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 20:12   #1695
BHPian

I'm not sure if the prevalence of fog has been covered in the earlier posts in this thread, but the entire stretch between Belgaum and Dharwad/Hubli was encased in thick fog this morning. Several occasions when on the 2-lane bypass we had two sets of lights blinking at us with less than 100 m to go!

Also, has anyone noticed a weird wheel noise in the stretch between Motibennur and Ranibennur? The different shades of the tarmac create sounds of different types, but never before have I heard a humming noise that gives you the feeling that your brakes are binding! We actually got off to inspect. Apparently, it isn't an uncommon experience, according to the locals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks