Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2017, 06:20   #2071
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
No need to worry about the road conditions. They are holding up very well for all the rains that battered in past few weeks/month.

With an early morning start like 0400-0430 & typical cruising between 110-120 along with breaks for breakfast and lunch and refuel, 11 Hours to 11.5 Hours till Pune bypass is good enough even today.
Thanks for the advise. We had good drives to Bangalore and back. Of course we took a break at Hubli both ways as we are both senior citizens and wife had a back strain. Took us total drive time of around 11-11:30 hrs, road was good with off stretches of bad stretches and lot of diversions between Satara and Pune. This stretch will at least another year for completion as work seems to have stopped and fly overs are to be done

Our sincere thanks to all the wonderful pots by members of teamBhp.
Old 11th March 2017, 23:21   #2072
BHPian

Its pretty surprising to see no updates on this most popular route for more than a month ! Anyways here are some minor updates on Belgaum--Pune--Mumbai stretch of NH4 -

1. Kolhapur to Satara - The entire stretch has been freshly laid with new tarmac with immaculate markings and is one heck of an awesome road to drive ( ofcourse sans the high traffic levels). I had been updating regarding this in the past when the road was under process of asphalting. Opp. carriageway i.e Satara to Kolhapur remains the good old smooth concrete stretch.

2. Old Katraj ghat in Pune too ( 8 km long ), is getting freshly asphalted. It should be done by another fortnight or so, half of it is already done up. A short stretch of it was newly laid down last year but this time the entire ghat is taken up for the same. Mind you, its after so many years that this road is getting relaid.

3. Satara - Pune - Satara -> The infamous 6 laning of this stretch is still being carried out at a pathetically slow pace. Completed stretches are more in number as compared to last year and are superb but full completion of the entire 136 kms ( couple of kms before Satara to Dehu road,Pune) will easily take another 12 months from now. Incomplete stretches and diversions are good though.

Last edited by vivek95 : 11th March 2017 at 23:23.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 11:45   #2073
BHPian

hey guys this is a very informative post for travelers on the Mumbai Bangalore route . While most of the restaurant options are available I was wondering if there is a list of fuel bunks on the route especially HP both for northbound and southbound travel. Sorry if i have missed a post on same earlier.
Thanks!
Vinitbhavi
Old 20th March 2017, 12:12   #2074
BHPian

Checkout the first post of this thread. It has been modified to accommodate all the decent hotels and good fuel stations in both directions
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 13:56   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
Checkout the first post of this thread. It has been modified to accommodate all the decent hotels and good fuel stations in both directions
thanks for the info bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Hello Car Ethusiasts!
I am planning a road trip from Bangalore to Mumbai somewhere in 1st week of august and would like to have some inputs from people who have done that stretch. I have a few queries based on my research

EDIT: Thanks to Parag Sachania for this awesome update!
wow superb information on the POI!!! will mark them all on my map!

u sir @paragsachania are too good and such detailed information and guidance is a boon for first time on this route travelers like me! Appreciate all the many hours of painstaking work this must have taken.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:29   #2076
BHPian

Hello All,

I am planning for a road trip from Navi Mumbai to Kodaikanal and Munnar and back in second week of May. I know this may not be the best season but this is the only time available for the entire family to go on a trip together. I checked the weather in May, temperature is around 22-24 degrees during day time. Hopefully it will be pleasant when compared to our cities, since these 2 places are hill stations.

We will be 4 of us, my dad, mom, sister (who also drives) and me myself. Although I have done a few 1000 kms round trips on my own this is the first time with my family members.

We will be traveling in my Maruti Celerio (Petrol+CNG). Or I have the option of taking the Alto but I think the Celerio will be better. Please comment.

Since its a road trip with family, I was thinking of planning a few things in advance. Also some queries came to my mind so I thought of taking help from fellow TBHPians! I will post my tentative road trip itinerary followed by my queries.

Road Trip Itinerary - Days & Distances

Day 1 -
Navi Mumbai to Belgaum (night halt)
473 kms - 7 hrs 15 mins + breaks

Day 2 -
Belgaum to Bangalore (night halt)
507 kms - 7 hrs 20 mins driving time + breaks

Day 3 -
Bangalore to Kodaikanal
464 kms - 8 hrs driving time + breaks

Day 4 -
Kodaikanal sightseeing

Day 5 -
Kodaikanal to Munnar
163 kms - 4 hrs 30 mins + breaks

Day 6 -
Munnar sightseeing

Day 7 -
Munnar to Bangalore (night halt)

Day 8 -
Bangalore to Hubli (night halt)

Day 9 -
Hubli to Navi Mumbai

I had the following queries:

1. Is the itinerary alright or does it need minor/major changes?
2. Suggestions for decent budget hotels suitable for family for overnight halts at Belgaum (preferably near highway) and Bangalore bypass (NICE Ring Road, toll road)
3. Approximately between Navi Mumbai and Kodaikanal how many toll posts will I encounter? Any way I can find out how much toll needs to be paid during the entire trip?
4. Any restrictions on movement on any of the roads in kodaikanal and munnar, any permits required to visit any place or any wildlife sanctuaries to be crossed for which there are any specific timings when to pass through them?
5. We plan to drive only during the day with early morning starts and reaching destination by evening. Any safety concerns at any point on this route?
6. What all preparations need to be done for the car considering we are going to cover around 3100 kms?

It would be great if someone can help me with these queries.
Old 20th March 2017, 21:05   #2077
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar.abc View Post
I am planning for a road trip from Navi Mumbai to Kodaikanal and Munnar and back in second week of May
It would be great if someone can help me with these queries.
I think you'd do better with the Celerio than the Alto on this trip.

On such long trips, I'd prefer to do as much driving on the first day as possible, with an early start say 4am at least and without night driving (which is what you prefer anyways). This way, you can avoid staying overnight at Bangalore, it's not worth it unless you intend to visit places or people in Bangalore.

You also don't want to be constantly driving longer distances almost everyday and spending very less time at your destinations Kodaikanal and Munnar.

So, I'd tweak as follows:
1. Day 1 - Navi Mumbai - Tumkur, stay overnight. With a 4am start, you should be able to reach Tumkur between 4-6pm, will be perfect.

2. Day 2 - Start early, say 5am, drive from Tumkur towards Bangalore and from outskirts of Bangalore, take the NICE Road and exit at Hosur Road (exit towards Hosur, not Bangalore City again!). You can stop for breakfast on the way anywhere between Shoolagiri & Thoppur, quote a few good options available.

Drive via Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Namakkal-Dindigul (NH7/44 all the way)-exit towards Batlagundu-Batlagundu-Kodaikanal. By later afternoon say 3pm you should be in Kodaikanal

3. Day 3 & 4 - Kodaikanal

4. Day 5 - Drive from Kodaikanal to Munnar

5. Day 6 & 7 - Munnar

6. Day 8 - Start early, drive Munnar to Tumkur, stay overnight

7. Day 9 - Tumkur to Navi Mumbai

There are no forest sections, etc on this entire route (that need any specific timing to be planned), so nothing to worry on that front.

On things to carry (at the minimum) - tubeless tyre repair/puncture kit, 12V tyre inflator, sufficient water and snacks. There are other popular threads dedicated to this topic, do look them up.

*For food stops and fuel stations, look up Parag's excellent post (added to opening post of this thread as well).

Last edited by NPV : 20th March 2017 at 21:09.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:10   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
We will be 4 of us, my dad, mom, sister (who also drives) and me myself. Although I have done a few 1000 kms round trips on my own this is the first time with my family members.
We will be traveling in my Maruti Celerio (Petrol+CNG). Or I have the option of taking the Alto but I think the Celerio will be better. Please comment.
Roads are perfectly in good shape. With two drivers, it is much more comfortable. I think CNG availability also is there(not an expert on it though)

Quote:
Day 1 -
Navi Mumbai to Belgaum (night halt)
473 kms - 7 hrs 15 mins + breaks
If you have an early start, you can make it to Hubli comfortably.

Quote:
Day 2 -
Belgaum to Bangalore (night halt)
507 kms - 7 hrs 20 mins driving time + breaks
Again, with an early start, can beat peak time traffic of Bangalore, cross Blr and plan to stay in Hosur or beyond. It might be a stretch to make it it Salem, but if you can make progress on Day 1, have a good night sleep and start early, try to make it to Salem

Quote:
Day 7 -
Munnar to Bangalore (night halt)
Again, with a packed previous few days, your start may get delayed with breakfast etc. If coming via Mysore side, would suggest a Mysore halt rather than Blr.
As with previous things, you would save higher hotel costs with smaller towns unless you have other plans in Blr

Quote:

Day 8 -
Bangalore to Hubli (night halt)
This stretch is normally fast, you should be able to make it to Kolhapur as well with an early start.
The key is to escape city traffic in Blr, if you can make it at right time, you can make it.
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 21:47   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
3. Approximately between Navi Mumbai and Kodaikanal how many toll posts will I encounter? Any way I can find out how much toll needs to be paid during the entire trip?
http://www.nhtis.org/nhai/index.html
If interested, you can get fastag from ICICI/Axis bank for electronic toll payments.
There is a separate fastag thread for more details on it.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:27   #2080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Or I have the option of taking the Alto but I think the Celerio will be better. Please comment.
Space (& More comfort) for all means Celerio is a better option for this trip. No brainer there.
Quote:
2. Suggestions for decent budget hotels suitable for family for overnight halts at Belgaum (preferably near highway)
For Belgaum :
  • Fairfield by Marriott: - Bang on the highway, before Belgaum. Not bad with the current rates on popular portals too.

• Sankam Residency: Quite a popular among BHPians, located off NH4 but not a huge detour

• Hotel Ramdev:One of the popular hotels again, been there since many decades and have served many travelers, happily.

Quote:
Bangalore bypass (NICE Ring Road, toll road)
Ideally, you must either stay at Tumkur or at Hosur. There is simply no point in staying around NICE Road.
  1. It is only 30 minutes from Tumkur
  2. NICE road itself is a 30 minutes drive from End to End and you are on Hosur Road
  3. Lastly, Once you hit Hosur Road, it is a matter of another 30 minutes before you reach Hosur bypassing all of Bangalore traffic - Entry and Exit

Your best bet is Hosur and there are quite a few options that folks here recommend. One of them of course is Sarovar Portico located bang on the highway.

Quote:
Assuming you stick to Navi Mumbai - Hubli - Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul route to reach Kodai, here are the tolls you will pass along with the rates applicable for Car/Jeep/Vans:

Name:  Toll Rates.png
Views: 4073
Size:  17.4 KB

Quote:
6. What all preparations need to be done for the car considering we are going to cover around 3100 kms?
Irrespective of whether you intend to give your vehicle for service or it has been recently serviced, check for the following:
  • All Fluid levels : Engine oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid

• Mechanicals : All belts, health of Brake Pads and Brake Drums

• Electricals: Functional Bulbs (all), Wipers, Horn

• Air Conditioning (HVAC) system: Knowing that its summer, better check the cooling and refrigerant. Also check the condition of AC Filter

• Condition of all the Tires: It is better to check if the present condition of the tires; Tread wear, Unusual damages, uneven wear

• Wheel Balancing and Alignment: Since you will do speeds around the 3 digit mark, you may want to get the wheels balanced if you are facing wobbling at these speeds. At the same time, get the wheels aligned as well

• Window Shades: Very important that you must not ignore. When you drive up or down Mumbai-Bangalore highway, the first half of the day, sun rays will directly hit your arms and shoulders (either sides depending on the direction you are driving) and the second half on the other side (Co-pax). Having window shades will immensely help

• Some Essentials:Lots of news papers, Water bottles (to drink) a bottle to clean windscreen, Puncture repair kit, Portable Tire inflator, Torch etc

Note: On your onward or return leg, based on your start time, opt to halt for the night strictly depending on the progress that you have made and your fatique levels and not because you have a target to reach your destination for that day. The Key to cover longer distance is to have a very early morning start where you will cover more distance without the need to speed at all.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st March 2017 at 10:30.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 10:40   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
http://www.nhtis.org/nhai/index.html
If interested, you can get fastag from ICICI/Axis bank for electronic toll payments.
There is a separate fastag thread for more details on it.
Hi planning to get the fastag prior mumbai-bangalore drive. Is a single tag applicable for all tolls across all the highways and withing city entry/exit points as well.
Also are both banks giving out the same card or are there some differences.
Is it possible to share the link for the fastag thread.
Thanks.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:45   #2082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Is a single tag applicable for all tolls across all the highways and withing city entry/exit points as well.
Yes but the FASTag is not applicable for Dharwad-Hubli Bypass (61/-) as well as NICE Road (155/-) as these are not part of FASTag and are operated privately.

Quote:
Also are both banks giving out the same card or are there some differences.
There are 4 Banks that are issuing FASTags : ICICI, AXIS, IDFC & SBI. The first 2 are quite popular here. And there are no differences and all work on FASTag lanes albeit few operational glitches that folks have reported.

Quote:
Is it possible to share the link for the fastag thread.
Thanks.
Here you go: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ing-using.html

The last few pages will have some latest inputs & developments.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st March 2017 at 10:46.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 17:59   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On such long trips, I'd prefer to do as much driving on the first day as possible, with an early start say 4am at least and without night driving (which is what you prefer anyways). This way, you can avoid staying overnight at Bangalore, it's not worth it unless you intend to visit places or people in Bangalore.

Thank you so much sir. I completely agree with you on not driving long distances everyday. However, I have split the driving time each day such that we dont spend more than 9 and half hrs on the road considering I have my parents aged 56 and 62 with traveling with me. But I will discuss your suggested driving plan with family. 2 extra days, 1 each at Kodai and Munnar is definitely better. I think max I can stretch on Day 1 is Hubli. Let me give it a thought once again.

I will skip staying in Bangalore. I can make a halt at Hosur (if needed). It is very close. Thanks for this advice too!

I have referred Parag sir's excellent post! Hats off to him! I have saved it and I had once referred it last year during my Kolhapur drive.

Thanks once again for all the advice.

Quote:
Roads are perfectly in good shape. With two drivers, it is much more comfortable. I think CNG availability also is there(not an expert on it though)

Thanks for the valuable advice. Nav Mum-Hubli-Hosur-Kodai seems doable for me especially considering parents will be traveling along. Although I would still think again about Nav Mum-Tumkur-Kodai.

The return journey advice via mysore is great. Will explore that option! Thanks again.

Quote:
Thanks Parag sir for all the advice. The toll booth list and the rates is very helpful. Also thanks for the hotel suggestions. I might plan a night halt at Hubli if I can cover distance faster on Day 1. But I will keep your advice in mind always. Will plan the night halt as per fatigue levels and not set a destination in mind! Cant thank you enough. Really appreciate.

Mod Note: Please avoid full quotes when responding. Also please use multi-quote features of the forum, instead creating multiple posts

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2017 at 21:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:24   #2084
Distinguished - BHPian

I had driven to Aurangabad and back over the last weekend between Friday and Sunday and here are a couple of updates from my side on that route, limited to Satara - Bangalore as I deviated after Satara and skipped Pune intentionally to try a new detour. I will keep the post information limited to this sector only.

FASTag on this route:
  • As posted any times before by others, all the tolls except Dharwad Bypass are FASTag enabled

• However, not all the toll booths have dedicated FASTag lanes while all booths have FASTag lanes, they are not exclusive to just FASTag equipped vehicles alone

• JAS toll at Nelamangala during onward journey had a automated barrier at the Khyatasandra end (Tumkur) which validated my tag but I still had to pass the booth at Nelamangala side and tell the attendant that I had a tag and he let me pass. On return, the same toll at Khyatasandra had a manual scanner that allowed me to pass but on the other side it was super chaotic with a barrier in place and no one manning that and at least 10 trucks resulting in a huge queue until someone in a Ford Ecosport walked out and pulled the barricade himself and we all passed (I know that the Ecosport had a Tag as we were driving together from Haveri)

• There are many booths where you may not find a FASTag banner on the lane board (Or its too small to notice till you get closer) and the easy way to identify it from a distance is with an Inverted U and an Amber or a Green light like this on top of it to differentiate it from other lanes

• In Maharasthra, I passed only 2 FASTag lanes - Taswade & Kini of which only Taswade has dedicated & exclusive FASTag lane while Kini toll has a dedicated lane which is open to cash as well

• In Karnataka - All Toll booths except Bankapura have dedicated and exclusive FASTag lanes

On route conditions:

Overall good to very good
  • Speedbreakers have reduced although the ones which can break you and your car at Tumkur (Khyatasandra), Harihar Bypass, Bankapura, Byadagi remain while the rest can be passed without any damage at same speeds
  • Bangalore - Tumkur - Ranebennur : Usual Good

• Ranebennur - Bankapura - Shiggaon - Hubli : Been the same, uneven surfaces at many places due to molten tarmac and undulations formed by heavy vehicles on their path. Exercise caution when changing lanes and during rains (Due to water logging on these dips)

• Kolhapur - Satara has a fresh layer, well marked and smooth - It was a wonderful drive

• Return route conditions from Satara to Bangalore also remained same throughout including the uneven patches which are bit lesser compared to North bound corridor

• Toll rates for the entire trip is mentioned in my previous post here in this post - Row 1 - 16

On Average speeds in each sector:

Since I was logging my entire drive from Bangalore to Aurangabad via Lonand - Shirur option, I had some interesting bits to share in terms of the average speeds that one can do in each of the 5 hours of my 15 hours drive one way.

Onward Journey with 0420am start ended at 1930 that included:

>1039 Kms
>15 Hours & 11 Minutes of cumulative time
>Breakfast - 30m
>Refueling at Nippani - 10m
>Lunch at Satara - 60m
>Snack Break at Smilestone - 30m
>Total of 2 Hours & 10 Minutes in Breaks

Bangalore to Aurangabad:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-blraurangabad-full.jpg

Return Journey with 1200 Noon start ended at 0300 that included:

>1035 Kms
>15 Hours of cumulative time
>Lunch break - 20m
>Snack break - 20m
>Refueling at Nippani - 10m
>Dinner Break at Dharwad - 30m
>Total of 1 Hour & 20 Minutes in Breaks

Aurangabad - Bangalore:

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-aurangabad-blr-full.jpg

In both the directions, the fastest average speeds undoubtedly was in the Belgaum - Bangalore sector and slowest were between Satara and Aurangabad that included ~140 kms of single carriageway road without a median.

I have split the logs into 5 hours each and you can very well relate to what I am referring above:

BANGALORE - AURANGABAD:

First 5 Hours, 407 kms, 1 Break

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-blraurangabadleg-01.jpg

Second 5 Hours, 350 Kms, 2 Breaks

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-blraurangabadleg-02.jpg

Last 5 Hours, 264 Kms, 1 Break, 140 kms of single carriageway

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-blraurangabadleg-03.jpg

AURANGABAD - BANGALORE

First 5 Hours, 296 kms, 1 Break, 140 kms of Single carriageway

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-aurangabad-blr-leg-01.jpg

Second 5 Hours, 312 kms, 3 Breaks

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-aurangabad-blr-leg-02.jpg

Last 5 Hours, 431 kms, No Breaks

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-aurangabad-blr-leg-03.jpg

During both onward and return journeys the cruising speeds remained between 100-120 KMPH most of the times except few places for a very brief period.

Note:

Dedicated FASTag lanes: clearly marked FASTag lane where even non FASTag vehicles are allowed
Exclusive FASTag lanes: clearly marked FASTag lane where only FASTag vehicles are allowed

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd March 2017 at 19:32.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:50   #2085
BHPian

hii guys I plan to drive from Mumbai-Bangalore on the 18th of April and following is the itinerary keeping in mind we are travelling with 1.5 year old twins, kindly advise
DRIVING ON ALL DAYS WILL BE BETWEEN 08:00 -16:00 BROADLY SPEAKING AND WHEREVER PRACTICAL TRY TO REACH ON TIME FOR LUNCH/ CHECK -IN
DAY 1: 18TH APRIL 2017 (TUE) – MUMBAI -KOLHAPUR- APPROX 385 KMS- AROUND 6 HRS
STAY -
DAY 2: 19TH APRIL 2017 (WED) –KOLHAPUR- DAVENGERE - APPROX 360 KMS- AROUND 5 HRS
STAY - REST FOR THE DAY
DAY 3: 20TH APRIL 2017 (THU) –- DAVENGERE - BANGALORE - APPROX 270 KMS- AROUND 4 HRS
REST FOR THE DAY AT AIRBNB , EVENING- MTR DINNER MAYBE
DAY 4: 21ST APRIL 2017 (FRI) – WORK
DAY 5: 22ND APRIL 2017 (SAT) – VISIT NEARBY AREAS/MANGALURU/ PICNIC – HALF DAY
DAY 6: 23RD APRIL 2017 (SUN) – XUV BANGALORE MEET
DAY 7: 24TH APRIL 2017 (MON) – BANGALURU – HUBBALI – APPROX 425 KMS- AROUND 6 HRS
STAY –
DAY 8: 25TH APRIL 2017 (TUE) – HUBBALI – GOKAK (STOP FOR PIC) - KOLHAPUR- APPROX 250 KMS- AROUND 4 HRS
DAY 9: 26TH APRIL 2017 (WED) – KOLHAPUR -MUMBAI- APPROX 380 KMS- AROUND 6 HRS

Most of the fuel bunks are covered superbly by Parag
the hotels planned are Apoorva at Davengere and Clarks Inn at Hubbali. Please suggest the best website for booking and/ or better hotel choices for stay.
Thanks in advance
Vinit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks