Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2020, 19:28   #2626
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Are you sure there are 100kmph signages on the Mumbai--Pune Expressway ??

I did not get any SMS for any of my violations. I simply logged into the Mumbai traffic app one fine day and got the shock of my life. I think these speed guns work very well at night as well.

I am driving Belgaum to Bombay tomorrow morning and have decided to stick to max 85 kmph once I enter Maharashtra at Kagal, all the way upto Bombay. Will update here post my drive.
I too was surprised to see them, big green with reflective paint on the left hand side. I also thought that i had misread it, but then a second one came along and i reconfirmed it to myself. It was there somewhere before khalapur if my memory serves me right.

So no SMS notifications. I did check at parivahan website a couple of days ago nothing as of then. But then i do not know the typical cycle time for these to reflect.

85 seems a safe bet.
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:44   #2627
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Belgaum - Bangalore over weekend.

Road conditions in general has improved from what was there few months back.

6 laning work has been completed at many places, however diversions remain. Road surface of diversions are also much better, hence nothing to be concerned about as such.

Stopped for lunch at a new place on way back, located next to Hubli- Dharwad bye-pass.

Food was tasty however restrooms though clean was bit rudimentary. If with family, would suggest Ganesh or Sugar & spice itself.

Harihar bye-pass work seems to be progressing in good speed. This along with Chitradurga bye-pass once done will easily save some half hour I hope.

Hubli bye-pass with new speed hump is taking things to a next level.

The newly constructed Shell bunk next to BPCOCO north of Dharward is yet to be open fully. They are working only for few hours a day on trial basis as of now.

Fastag / toll experience was okay all throughout. Bankapura toll which always had issues with tag detection suddenly is working all fine, also noticed that there was some work ongoing at booth. Looks like they are adding more lanes.

Hubli byepass still got the 'Fastag coming in a while' signboard which Parag had mentioned earlier.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:36   #2628
BHPian

Quote:

I am driving Belgaum to Bombay tomorrow morning and have decided to stick to max 85 kmph once I enter Maharashtra at Kagal, all the way upto Bombay. Will update here post my drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
I too was surprised to see them, big green with reflective paint on the left hand side. I also thought that i had misread it, but then a second one came along and i reconfirmed it to myself. It was there somewhere before khalapur if my memory serves me right.

85 seems a safe bet.
So, I drove from Belgaum to Mumbai today, departed at 11:00 a.m and reached at 7:40pm ( Bhagyanagar, Belgaum to Kopar Khairane, Navi Mumbai -- 470 kms ). This was inclusive of a total of 55 mins stop enroute. Road conditions remain excellent and Fastag worked seamlessly at all the 8 tolls.

The traffic between Kolhapur and Satara was moderately high, so I was hardly able to drive above 90kmph, it mostly ranged between 40--90kmph. There were moments though when the straight stretches were open and relatively empty and I still tried to stick to 90kmph max. Must say, 90 seemed very slow on that wide open 4 lane with a smooth tarmac. I gave up and pushed till 110 kmph.

I was constantly on the look out for speed guns. What I figured out was that, there are no cameras installed yet on the 4 laned section of Kagal--Kolhapur--Satara. But please note, I might have missed spotting them. However, once the 6 lane starts at Satara, you will conspicuously spot these speed guns installed on a pole by the side of the road, check the pics below. Camera is yet to be fixed in the second one.
Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20200303221839__01__01.jpg

Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries-screenshot_20200303222246__01__01__01.jpg

I spotted them at atleast 5 locations today, on the carriageway heading towards Pune -
1. Satara city bypass ( speed limit 80 around this camera)
2. Panchwad town flyover ( limit 80 )
3. Bhuinj town flyover ( limit 80 )
4. End of Khambatki ghat, at the last right handed curve ( limit 60 )
5. Shirwal town ( limit 60 )

I might have missed if there were some more although I was watching out for them keenly. I did not drive beyond 100 kmph at any point between Satara and Pune on the 6 laner today.

On the Mumbai--Pune Expressway, between Khalapur toll and Panvel, heading towards Mumbai, there are indeed new sign boards that categorise the vehicles and speed limits accordingly. For HMV and LCV it is 80, for LMV and Cars it is 100. These boards are painted in blue.

P. S - I am not promoting driving beyond the speed limits but 80 and 90 on the Expressway/6 lane highways are really very slow. 100-110 kmph is a safe limit for cars.
vivek95 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 20:11   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians, Any good places to stay at Tumkur?
Old 4th March 2020, 20:50   #2630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Bhpians, Any good places to stay at Tumkur?
Not much except Naveen at Tumkur but off late not hearing great reviews about it. Best bet would be around Nelamangala around NICE road where few hotels have come up to cater to many events that take place at BIEC here.

If Palakkad is your destination, I would suggest re-plan the journey such that you have those extra 2 hours that you can directly hit Hosur and settle at one of the many good places to stay there.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 13:38   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not much except Naveen at Tumkur but off late not hearing great reviews about it. Best bet would be around Nelamangala around NICE road where few hotels have come up to cater to many events that take place at BIEC here.

If Palakkad is your destination, I would suggest re-plan the journey such that you have those extra 2 hours that you can directly hit Hosur and settle at one of the many good places to stay there.
Yes sir, it's my yearly "Home town Pilgrimage" drive. Most probably will push towards E-City.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 06:50   #2632
BHPian

Need to travel from Blore to Mumbai (alone) next week, and return back to Blore with my parents 2 weeks after that (parents are stationed in Mumbai; Thane actually).

In the light of the virus issue nowadays, some people have cautioned me against flying at this time (enclosed limited space, recirculating air etc in aircraft, so chances of catching the virus)

Therefore as a backup, I'm considering ditching air travel and driving to and fro (am I being too paranoid?)

Or should I drop the plan of getting my parents here altogether at this time (dad is aged 81).

Anyway, in case I drive, then for the onward journey I was planning to leave Blore at 1 pm and take a night halt at Belgaum (non-AC hotel, to avoid air recirculation issue), then resume driving at 5 am next day to reach Mumbai in time for lunch at 1 pm.

On the return, I was planning to leave Mumbai with my parents at 1 pm and take a night halt at Hubli (again, non-AC hotel), then resume driving at 6 am next day to reach Blore in time for lunch at 2 pm.

Does the backup road plan sounds reasonable, including the halts and estimated drive times? Or is it all too paranoid and flight is better?
Old 14th March 2020, 07:19   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Or is it all too paranoid and flight is better?
I feel, considering the age of your parents and also the distance, flying is much better.
Off-course, you need to take all precautions, the hygiene at airport entry/exit and in-flight should follow the prescribed guidelines.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:42   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Need to travel from Blore to Mumbai (alone) next week, and return back to Blore with my parents 2 weeks after that (parents are stationed in Mumbai; Thane actually).

In the light of the virus issue nowadays, some people have cautioned me against flying
Incidentally, my situation is very similar to yours and speaking from experience we always prefer air travel. But,considering the present circumstances it’s better to postpone their travel if possible. I understand summers are sort of brutal in Mumbai vis a vis bangalore . Your back up plan is good but we don’t prefer driving due to the stress of having aged passengers make a possibly 16 hours journey. In fact another option would be a train travel as well.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 08:48   #2635
BHPian

Train would be much, much, much worse from an infection PoV, I'd imagine.
Old 14th March 2020, 12:26   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Train would be much, much, much worse from an infection PoV, I'd imagine.
Might be , but haven’t heard any disruption or cases from Railways.
Old 15th March 2020, 10:38   #2637
BHPian

Guys, is there any data to support that flight travel is unsafe?

Is there any data to support that AC hotels are unsafe? If that was the case all IT ops in Bangalore and elsewhere would be converted to WFH. I don't think that's the case.

Is there any government/IMA advisory?

Looking at the Flight Radar 24 chart, there is no cancellation of any kind at least at Bangalore airport.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 11:58   #2638
BHPian

Quote:

In the light of the virus issue nowadays, some people have cautioned me against flying at this time (enclosed limited space, recirculating air etc in aircraft, so chances of catching the virus)

Therefore as a backup, I'm considering ditching air travel and driving to and fro (am I being too paranoid?)

Or should I drop the plan of getting my parents here altogether at this time (dad is aged 81).

Anyway, in case I drive, then for the onward journey I was planning to leave Blore at 1 pm and take a night halt at Belgaum (non-AC hotel, to avoid air recirculation issue), then resume driving at 5 am next day to reach Mumbai in time for lunch at 1 pm.

On the return, I was planning to leave Mumbai with my parents at 1 pm and take a night halt at Hubli (again, non-AC hotel), then resume driving at 6 am next day to reach Blore in time for lunch at 2 pm.

Does the backup road plan sounds reasonable, including the halts and estimated drive times? Or is it all too paranoid and flight is better?
Flying in a better option rather than driving considering your parents age. Now I m no doctor but I have received this advisory from a doctor( Dr. Manjunath Desai) in the family who works in Goa Medical College hospital. While flying its better to wear a 3M mask and also carry rubbing alcohol rather than hand sanitizers. It's reported that rubbing alcohol or 75% alcohol based cleaning solution helps in dissolving the outer protein (lipid) layer of the coronavirus this killing it. Constantly use the rubbing alcohol to clean hands and avoid touching your face, nose eyes. (Average human touches the face 2000-3000 times a day). Face touching is advised against as it aids in transmitting the virus which one's hands might pick into your body.
Hope this helps and safe travels.
Laidbackakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 00:33   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
1. Satara city bypass ( speed limit 80 around this camera)
2. Panchwad town flyover ( limit 80 )
3. Bhuinj town flyover ( limit 80 )
4. End of Khambatki ghat, at the last right handed curve ( limit 60 )
5. Shirwal town ( limit 60 )
I drove back from bengaluru over the last couple of days. Your detailed observations were helpful.

1. Though i was explicitly looking out for the satara bypass camera post, i noticed it only at the last moment, it is a slope so ended up slightly above the limit.
2. There is one more installed on the flyover above the road to Wai/Panchgani few km after Panchwad town
4. Speed limit at end of Kambhatki ghat is 50 kmph.. For the first time have been driving with my eyes wide open to observe the speed restrictions. I usually drive sedately around 90 - 100 kmph and reduce wherever required.
5. Missed to locate the shirwal camera post but i am sure it is very much there.

I did not locate any camera posts on the karnataka side but there are mobile vans with speed guns stationed on the Chitradurga - Davengere - Hubli stretch,.

Overall driving at 80 kmph seems to be much more strenuous than driving at 90 - 100 kmph. Only upside is better fuel efficiency -- i managed a 19.5 kmpl between BPCL CoCo kelewade and end of expressway at Kalamboli.

Quote:
If you do plan to drive, then these points might be of use to you

1. Plan a maximum of 7 to 8 hours of drive time per day, This is same as door to door time if you take a flight. Start early if possible and wind up the day before sun down and ensure a good nights rest.
2. Plan your stopovers for food/breaks on the way. Though there are a number of eateries on the way in this section not all are elderly friendly.
3. Have a seat free so that there is sufficient room for them to exercise their limbs and are not seated in a cramped/fixed position for long.
4. Drive sedately with a constant speed.

On your journey from bengaluru, stopover at kolhapur - around 600 km form bengaluru. You may have to start slightly earlier from bengaluru. Ideally start early morning if possible, if you do so, you will be able to reach kolhapur by 4pm. If you leave kolhapur at 5 am the next day you will be able to make it to thane by 1 pm. Traffic on the Maharastra side is higher and maximum speed is now effectively capped by the speed cameras.

For your return journey i would recommend to break it over 3 days.
Day 1 - Start late afternoon Thane - Satara .
Day 2 - Start after breakfast Satara - Davengere
Day 3 - Start after breakfast - Davengere - Bengaluru, you will reach by 1 pm in time for lunch.

Alternatively you can start early morning on day 1 and reach Dharwad and head to bengaluru from Dharwad on day 2. If you start around 8 am, you should be able to reach outskirts (NICE road beginning) around 4 pm.

The ability of the Wuhan/China virus to stay "alive" for significant periods on inert surfaces like door handles, lift buttons, table tops, magazine covers, news papers, menu cards, currency notes, upholstery etc is downright scary. I am not sure if transmission by air has been confirmed so A/C non A/C might not make a big difference in the overall scheme of things. All sorts of information is floating around.

Bottom line - traveling today by public transport - air, rail, road has it's risks. Since bulk of incidents have been detected from people flying in into the country, the odds are that flying will pose a greater risk of coming in contact with someone or something that has been contaminated at airports and in airplanes. If this pandemic is not contained, it is only a matter of time that all public places will carry substantial risks.

Hope this helps

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 16th March 2020 at 00:43.
cyberwhizs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 16:31   #2640
BHPian

I am planning to go by road from Bangalore to Ahmedabad in this week. I am familiar with Satara-Ahmedabad route. However I need info on Bangalore-Satara route. Assuming I start at 7 am from north Bangalore I think I should be able to cross Davangere by 12 pm. Is there a good highway eatery with clean washrooms around this stretch for a lunch break? I am planning halt at Kolhapur and then continue for onward journey the following day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks