Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 14:48   #2791
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai : Route updates & Eateries

Planning to do Pune -- > Bangalore -- > Pune next week.
Any one travelled on this route recently. Any checking on state border?

Recently there is spike in Covid cases in Karnataka so any new restriction/Covid related checks on state border?
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 14:53   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Planning to do Pune -- > Bangalore -- > Pune next week.
Any one travelled on this route recently. Any checking on state border?

Recently there is spike in Covid cases in Karnataka so any new restriction/Covid related checks on state border?
Absolutely none. I did Mumbai--Pune--Belgaum--Mumbai recently ( Bombay--Manipal drive ) and its absolutely hassle free all the way. Routine document checking happens in Maharashtra nearby tolls especially Kini after Kolhapur and very often at Khed Shivapur toll at Pune. No covid related checks though, however masks are a must even if you are alone inside a car with windows up.
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 17:14   #2793

Thank you for giving me the confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

*In case the need arises - Hope you can handle an emergency like a flat tyre enroute, so carry a tubeless puncture kit and the vehicle's tool kit and the spare tyre of course!
This is good advice, definitely will keep these handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi TRGT - Definitely doable. Like NPV says , do an early morning start. If you can do a 3.30 am - 4 am start , nothing like it.

If your dates are flexible , then , do this on a Saturday or a week day. Avoid the Sunday , given the very heavy traffic that you’ll encounter from Kolhapur onwards in the late noon / early evenings.
Thanks, I do have the flexibility to choose the day. Will definitely stick to weekdays to avoid the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
I will also be travelling back to Pune post Diwali from Bangalore. I was also a novice driver with maximum experience of 250km in single stretch, but was able to manage my Pune Bangalore trip easily with break in Davangere. You can plan your stay in recommended hotels like Sankam Residency or Fairfield in Belgaum in case you feel too tired to drive. These hotels have good level of cleanliness.
Thanks, these are good suggestions for hotels.

I read about the road conditions in the previous few pages and the roads seem to hold up pretty good. Is there any specific stretch which might be difficult?
Old 27th October 2020, 10:36   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgt2013 View Post

I read about the road conditions in the previous few pages and the roads seem to hold up pretty good. Is there any specific stretch which might be difficult?
The Chitradurga to Hubli stretch will have lot of diversions with speed breaker due to on going 6 laning work. As soon you enter MH be ready for jump in local traffic as the MH stretch hardly has service roads leading to heavy traffic on main highway. Satara- to Pune stretch might have broken tarmac in few areas unless patched up post rains.
autoweirdo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:25   #2795
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In addition to the 6 Laning work, the Hubli-Dharwad bypass is a pain sometimes since it's the only undivided 2 lane stretch during the entire journey and there are toll plazas in between (not sure if they have started accepting Fastag recently). Just drive cautiously and patiently on the stretch since you may get stuck behind a slow moving truck and there may be cattle and shepherds too blocking off a portion of the road!
Old 27th October 2020, 14:29   #2796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
(not sure if they have started accepting Fastag recently).
Hubli Dharwad bypass is FASTag enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Hubli--Dharwad bypass is now Fastag enabled although I ended up paying manually due to scanner issue.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 15:17   #2797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoweirdo View Post
As soon you enter MH be ready for jump in local traffic as the MH stretch hardly has service roads leading to heavy traffic on main highway. Satara- to Pune stretch might have broken tarmac in few areas unless patched up post rains.
The Satar-Pune stretch continues to remain in its worst conditions, don't understand what the local authorities are upto. Pune-Satara has always been a pain to drive.
Old 29th October 2020, 10:38   #2798
SRN

@DeepeshKarnik - Keep an eye out for a white XUV bearing a KA04 number plate (with a TeamBHP Sticker!) Planning a BLR - Pune trip on 30th Oct. Starting round about the same time.
Old 29th October 2020, 20:26   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for giving me the confidence.

This is good advice, definitely will keep these handy.
Hey, I just did my onward from MUM to BLR,and it was my first.. the guidance on this thread from all the regulars is spot on..

I chose Monday (last) to drive down, left Kandivali at 4.20am, and reached Bangalore at 7.30 pm (door to door). The distance shows 1009kms, with a ride time of 14hrs and about 1hr for breaks.

The road conditions are absolutely gorgeous except for the Pune-Satara stretch and the Hubli-Chitradurg stretch, both of which slowed me down quite a bit.

The fuel stops, as someone pointed out, go with Parag's opening post onthis thread. I saved them onto my gmaps both ways.

Heading back to MUM tomorrow morning, will be starting out at about 3.30am. Will share an update later !!
prasanna.sub82 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 20:56   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
The road conditions are absolutely gorgeous except for the Pune-Satara stretch and the Hubli-Chitradurg stretch, both of which slowed me down quite a bit.
Wow!
So the Pune Satara stretch is still bad! Wow!
It has been so since 2014 (at a minimum).
Are they still charging toll for that patch?
Old 30th October 2020, 10:54   #2801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Wow!
So the Pune Satara stretch is still bad! Wow!
It has been so since 2014 (at a minimum).
Are they still charging toll for that patch?
They are charging toll at every possible point, I counted about 15-16 tolls, paying up about 1500 bucks door to door one way
Old 31st October 2020, 00:45   #2802

Thank you for this thread, it's a savior for several people like me. Planning to drive down from Bangalore to Mumbai this week with an overnight halt in Belgaum as we are traveling with a kid. Our car is a Baleno & I do not intend to do triple-digit speeds. Any specific pointers? My daughter does get motion sickness so intend to start early around 6 am to try & have her asleep during the initial hours of the journey.

What I would like to know of a is a decent breakfast & lunch place. And do all of us need to wear a mask while in the car?
Old 1st November 2020, 08:23   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshtulsiani View Post
Thank you for this thread, it's a savior for several people like me. Planning to drive down from Bangalore to Mumbai this week with an overnight halt in Belgaum as we are traveling with a kid. Our car is a Baleno & I do not intend to do triple-digit speeds. Any specific pointers? My daughter does get motion sickness so intend to start early around 6 am to try & have her asleep during the initial hours of the journey.

What I would like to know of a is a decent breakfast & lunch place. And do all of us need to wear a mask while in the car?
Hi Yogesh, I just came a day back..

> With the Covid situation, I was very particular about avoiding a night halt in a hotel, but if u must do it, I guess Belgaum being the mid point at about 500km is a good place. I saw some suggestions on this thread and I believe one of them is the Marriott which I noticed is right on the highway.

> Lunch / breakfast: I would definitely avoid having outside. I carried food along. U get these MTR ready to eat stuff to cover for breakfast lunch or dinner.. I carried an electric kettle that I used at petrol pumps to simply heat water with the food packets in it, works very well. Also carried flask with coffee.

> BLR to MUM took me about 15hrs with a 4am start, with an avg. of about 75kmph. I guess this is what u would get give or take about 2-3hrs, and u can achieve it without really speeding too much.
prasanna.sub82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 13:27   #2804

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.sub82 View Post
Hi Yogesh, I just came a day back..

> With the Covid situation, I was very particular about avoiding a night halt in a hotel, but if u must do it, I guess Belgaum being the mid point at about 500km is a good place. I saw some suggestions on this thread and I believe one of them is the Marriott which I noticed is right on the highway.

> Lunch / breakfast: I would definitely avoid having outside. I carried food along. U get these MTR ready to eat stuff to cover for breakfast lunch or dinner.. I carried an electric kettle that I used at petrol pumps to simply heat water with the food packets in it, works very well. Also carried flask with coffee.

> BLR to MUM took me about 15hrs with a 4am start, with an avg. of about 75kmph. I guess this is what u would get give or take about 2-3hrs, and u can achieve it without really speeding too much.
Thank you.
> I got a sweet deal on UK 27 by Fern which has some good reviews.
> I could look at carrying a flask however not fond of ready-to-eat. Maybe will carry some fruits.
> I might have to start around 6 considering the need for 6-8 hours of sleep before the journey.
Old 1st November 2020, 16:40   #2805
BHPian

Travelling in a non FASTag car to Belgaum in a few days. Do the toll booths have cash only lanes on this route?

I read online that one has to pay twice if they enter a FASTag lane without one or with a non functioning FASTag. So, I am guessing cash only lanes would be fine to use?

Please advise!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks