Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 16:32   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinurao View Post
+1

Wanted to know if Shell on Mysore road will be open at 4 in the morning. Any idea?
Why take a chance? Fill it up tonight.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:36   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know if Shell on Mysore road will be open at 4 in the morning. Any idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Why take a chance? Fill it up tonight.
+1.

Fill up tonight and also check on the tyre pressures considering bad roads.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:41   #1158
Senior - BHPian

I guess Shell bunks on Mysore road is 24hrs, same with the one on Peenya road...

But yes always fill the previous night..

Quote:
+1

Will be leaving early morning at around 4a.m. to Udupi. Going via the least "worst" road, if that makes sense -
Magadi - Kunigal - Hassana - Belur- Chikmagalur - Aldur -Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi
Swift Zxi with team-bhp stickers all around

Last edited by lohithrao : 1st October 2009 at 16:43.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:44   #1159
BHPian

Silver VDi

We would be on silky silver swift VDi. The route plan as of now is, JP Nagar > Tollgate > Magadi > Kunigal > Sakleshpur > Kukke.

Then from Kukke > Gundya > BC Road > M'lore. Heard BC road stretch has seen some improvements.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:58   #1160
Senior - BHPian

@Fast_Elegance: Congrats on the century!

@Aswinurao: Swift ZXi with T-BHP stickers all around; roger that. (PS: I am planning to tank up tomorrow morning at Shell! Brought the wrong vehicle to office today!!!)

@JMaruru: Silky silver Swift VDi; roger that too. What time do you plan to start?
Old 1st October 2009, 17:13   #1161
BHPian

Thanks Happywheels.

Mine is silver Santro without the team-bhp stickers. I am yet to stick the team bhp stickers.

My front windshield is due for replacement (small stone dropped from construction site) and some touchups on the bumpers as well next week. Will be sticking them after that.

But will surely honk and wave on spotting a bhpian .
Old 1st October 2009, 17:24   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Then from Kukke > Gundya > BC Road > M'lore. Heard BC road stretch has seen some improvements.
Not really, i came on Mangalore-BC Road stretch this Monday. Road condition is a mix of newly laid roads and extremely potholed stretches. Took me an hour from Mannagudda to BC Road.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:50   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I guess Shell bunks on Mysore road is 24hrs, same with the one on Peenya road...

But yes always fill the previous night..
Quote:
I think only one of the Shell bunks on Mysore road is open 24 hrs. I had seen it open late in the night when I was coming back from Mysore. The bunk is on your left towards Mysore. I'm not sure about it now though. Better to fill up the previous day
Old 1st October 2009, 17:53   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I had a visitor from Bangalore who came via Agumbe. He reached Agumbe by 6PM and took 3 more hours to reach Manipal, a mere distance of 49Kms. The reason... zero visibility due to fog.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:31   #1165
BHPian

100.. it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@JMaruru: Silky silver Swift VDi; roger that too. What time do you plan to start?
Okie guys... this is my 100th post.

I would be starting in the early hours.. always plan for around 5AM, but invariably will take some more time. But magadi road should help me out. I am expecting it to be much better than the usual t'kur road. Fingers crossed...
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:36   #1166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I had a visitor from Bangalore who came via Agumbe. He reached Agumbe by 6PM and took 3 more hours to reach Manipal, a mere distance of 49Kms. The reason... zero visibility due to fog.
That has me concerned. I am planning to leave Udupi at 6am tomorrow morning via Agumbe- Kudremukh- Horanadu. Plan is to stay in Horanadu for the night and leave for Bangalore early Sunday morning. I called a Lodge in Horanadu and they said it is raining heavily there. I may change plans depending on weather conditions tomorrow morning.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:17   #1167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roameo View Post
I called a Lodge in Horanadu and they said it is raining heavily there. I may change plans depending on weather conditions tomorrow morning.
Cough, cough, I just did a fine piece of investigation into the matter. I just visited Agumbe and came back.

A water fall on the road side.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-pa023699.jpg

Now, what did I find out? Read here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post1511628 (Cooling system test in Agumbe Ghats - Part II)

I don't think it should affect you much as long as you drive carefully. I didn't see any sign of flooding or road blockage.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd October 2009 at 18:23.
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:56   #1168
MCR
BHPian

@Roameo,
Other option would be to drive upto Karkala from Udupi. From Karkala drive on NH13.
Take a right around 36kms after karkala towards Kudremukh. The roads are good on the entire stretch.
Old 4th October 2009, 23:34   #1169
BHPian

I proceeded as planned via Agumbe yesterday morning. The climb up was simply one of the most wonderful experiences in my life. There was a trace of a drizzle and a light fog. It was magical.

@Samurai- I too noticed the waterfall in your pic and spent about 15 minutes on that spot with the family. We were charmed.

Returned to Bangalore today via Kudremkukh. I broke journey at Kalasa yesterday evening. There seems to have been a landslide in the Kudremukh forest, but I was that it was being cleared using earthmovers.
Old 5th October 2009, 15:00   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Back from a trip to Mangalore yesterday.

Went thru Magadi - Kunigal - Shiradi ghat - BC road - Mangalore. Return was almost the same, except that I took the Nelamangala - Nice road to reach home.

It is better not to mention about the road conditions! Most of the stretch has pathetic or no roads. Shiradi ghat section - you will have to search for tar! Add the land slides, perfect recipe. (Have to appreciate the people involved in clearing those land slides! Great work by them).

NH48 is a shame! Of all the thing, why does a NH have to be like this? It is worse than the village roads we see now a days!

Previously, when traveling to Ooty, I was under the wrong assumption that the final stretch towards Bandipur was not being laid due to vested interests, but then, seems like that is the norm!

Mangalore and the surrounding areas are such a great natural tourist spots; seems like the tourism department has gone on leave!!!

I felt sorry for people who would need to do this route regularly! Hope things change for the better!

And yes, spotted Aswinurao and his Swift. Tailed him for sometime on the Magadi road. Guess I gave him the creeps - he reduced speed and signaled me to overtake. I over took and waved my hand. Not sure if he got it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks