Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 16:26   #3721
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi Team,

I was trying to understand the best route from Chennai to Kundapur. Read many pages in this log and got confused as I not well versed with Karnataka roads -

can someone with patience answer me the best route to take from Bangalore to Kundapur?

What will be the timeline? I am visiting between Dec 24-27. I read in the blog about TurtleBay resort and called them, they are all booked!!! My bad!!!!

Trying to search other places, but I am sure someone here knows other good places?

Please help so that i can do the bookings quickly!!!!

Please note I m driving this time with my baby who will be 10 months old.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:39   #3722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
I was trying to understand the best route from Chennai to Kundapur. Read many pages in this log and got confused as I not well versed with Karnataka roads -

can someone with patience answer me the best route to take from Bangalore to Kundapur?

What will be the timeline? I am visiting between Dec 24-27. I read in the blog about TurtleBay resort and called them, they are all booked!!! My bad!!!!
Hi, since you're looking at Dec 24th, the road situation could be very different then from what it is now.

As of now, the best route from B'lore to Kundapura is thru' Mangalore i.e. Bangalore - NH4 - Shiradi ghats - Mangalore - NH17 - Kundapura.

But, but, the road condition of a more direct route (through Agumbe/Chikamagalur) could be better post-monsoons.

You could stay in Udupi/Manipal, they are about 30kms from Kundapura. Bhatkal's an option too (it's around 30kms from Kundapura too; but on the other side as Udupi/Manipal).

Can you mention the rough agenda for your trip; we'd then be better placed to suggest.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:53   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hi, since you're looking at Dec 24th, the road situation could be very different then from what it is now.

As of now, the best route from B'lore to Kundapura is thru' Mangalore i.e. Bangalore - NH4 - Shiradi ghats - Mangalore - NH17 - Kundapura.

But, but, the road condition of a more direct route (through Agumbe/Chikamagalur) could be better post-monsoons.

You could stay in Udupi/Manipal, they are about 30kms from Kundapura. Bhatkal's an option too (it's around 30kms from Kundapura too; but on the other side as Udupi/Manipal).

Can you mention the rough agenda for your trip; we'd then be better placed to suggest.
Hi - thanks for the quick response!!!

agenda is simple, all my childhood friends wanted to have a get together and I chose Kundapur from T-BHP. I thought we can drive from Kundapur to Gokarna in a day and come back as we dont want to check-in and checkout from too many places.

After reading few more logs here, found Murudeshwar temple and Jog falls near by (i may be wrong). Thought we can cover these as well.

But the main idea is to hand out at one place, near beach and talk talk talk!!!!

I am dependent on whatever route is best suggested here!!!!
Old 13th October 2011, 16:59   #3724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After reading few more logs here, found Murudeshwar temple and Jog falls near by (i may be wrong). Thought we can cover these as well.
You'd rather stay at Udupi then.

The route along NH17 is like this : Udupi - Kundapura (30kms) - Murudeshwar (100kms) - Gokarna (180kms). You can do Murudeshwar on the way up or down.

Jog Falls is slightly off; it would have to be done on a diff. day.

There's nothing to do in Kundapura; at least with base as Udupi, you can head to Kapu one evening (Kapu has a light-house). Plus, Malpe beach is around 5kms from Udupi.

PS : Nothing like a night out at Gokarna; a cozy shack, a good bon-fire and a unexploited beach!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th October 2011 at 17:00.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 17:17   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You'd rather stay at Udupi then.

The route along NH17 is like this : Udupi - Kundapura (30kms) - Murudeshwar (100kms) - Gokarna (180kms). You can do Murudeshwar on the way up or down.

Jog Falls is slightly off; it would have to be done on a diff. day.

There's nothing to do in Kundapura; at least with base as Udupi, you can head to Kapu one evening (Kapu has a light-house). Plus, Malpe beach is around 5kms from Udupi.

PS : Nothing like a night out at Gokarna; a cozy shack, a good bon-fire and a unexploited beach!
Hi - thank you!!! So are you suggesting, we stay at Gokarna for a night?

how are road conditions from Udupi to Gokarna? How long do you think this stretch will take? Why I am asking is since small baby on board, need to consider a lot of things.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 17:25   #3726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi - thank you!!! So are you suggesting, we stay at Gokarna for a night?

how are road conditions from Udupi to Gokarna? How long do you think this stretch will take? Why I am asking is since small baby on board, need to consider a lot of things.
Yep, a night halt at Gokarna will be something you'll remember for a long long time. Just that with the baby in picture and the christmas weekend, you might have to do your booking well in advance. Will find out good accommodations and let you know.

Udupi - Gokarna, NH17 is bad right now. So, can't say how it's going to be in Dec - should be better as repairs would hopefully be done after monsoons. Plus, there are a couple of express trains and a passenger train so that option is there too. The station is Gokarna rd.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th October 2011 at 17:26.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:31   #3727
BHPian

Hi - Just to reconfirm- route being suggested is -

Bengaluru - NH4 till Tumkur - NH 206 Arasikere- NH 234 - Belur - Charmadi - Moodabidri - Mulki - Udupi?
Old 13th October 2011, 17:31   #3728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
agenda is simple, all my childhood friends wanted to have a get together and I chose Kundapur from T-BHP. I thought we can drive from Kundapur to Gokarna in a day and come back as we dont want to check-in and checkout from too many places.

But the main idea is to hand out at one place, near beach and talk talk talk!!!!

I am dependent on whatever route is best suggested here!!!!
I would suggest you to stay at Murdeshwar since you would be planning to visit Gokarna and Jog. Murdeshwar is midway between Kundapur and Gokarna. Jog is around 100 kms from Murdeshwar. There is a resort called Naveen Beach Resort in Murdeshwar, but have no idea how good it is.

AFAIK, Kundapur does not have beach side accommodation, your only beach side options are in Murdeshwar, Turtle Bay (Maravanthe) and in Gokarna. I have no idea about beach side resorts in Honnavar (between Murdeshwar and Gokarna)

Quote:

Bengaluru - NH4 till Tumkur - NH 206 Arasikere- NH 234 - Belur - Charmadi - Moodabidri - Mulki - Udupi?
Take this route. It is much more easier, better and shorter than the above.

Bangalore-NH4 till Nelamangala-Turn left on NH48-Kunigal-Hassan-Shiradi ghats-Mangalore-Join NH17-Udupi-Kundapur

The road is bad in the Shiradi ghats though.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 13th October 2011 at 17:40. Reason: added quote
Old 13th October 2011, 17:46   #3729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Bangalore-NH4 till Nelamangala-Turn left on NH48-Kunigal-Hassan-Shiradi ghats-Mangalore-Join NH17-Udupi-Kundapur
The road suggested by Addy is the best (among the worst) but I suggest you post a query a week before your intended travel and find out the best at that time.

The way the B'lore - M'lore roads are, they can go from the best to worst in a matter of days and the worst can become slightly better.

The reason I say this is, the Kudremukh and Chikmagalur routes are very scenic so you'll enjoy them more. If they are in a good condition by Dec-end, you might as well take them.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:48   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I would suggest you to stay at Murdeshwar since you would be planning to visit Gokarna and Jog. Murdeshwar is midway between Kundapur and Gokarna. Jog is around 100 kms from Murdeshwar. There is a resort called Naveen Beach Resort in Murdeshwar, but have no idea how good it is.

AFAIK, Kundapur does not have beach side accommodation, your only beach side options are in Murdeshwar, Turtle Bay (Maravanthe) and in Gokarna. I have no idea about beach side resorts in Honnavar (between Murdeshwar and Gokarna)

Take this route. It is much more easier, better and shorter than the above.

The road is bad in the Shiradi ghats though.
Thanks again for the quick update, how bad are Shiradi Ghats? In this route how long it will take from B'lore to Murudeshwar?
Old 13th October 2011, 17:51   #3731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again for the quick update, how bad are Shiradi Ghats? In this route how long it will take from B'lore to Murudeshwar?
The 30kms Shiradi ghats stretch will take about 1.5-2hrs depending on when you travel. Don't even think of passing thru' it after sunset.

The whole stretch is a dust-bath and if you're car has a low GC, it's gonna bottom out regularly.

B'lore - Manipal took me 7 hrs (~80-90 km/hr); so B'lore - Murudeshwar should take 8 hrs at max.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:36   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Srikanth, you can stay in "Paradise Isle" which is on Malpe beach, this is few kms from udupi town...

I would suggest you to stick to NH48 i,e kunigal - Hassana - Sakleshpura - Shiradi ghat - uppinagdi- BC road -Mangalore - Surathkal - Mulky -Kaupu - Udupi

Quote:
Hi Team,

Trying to search other places, but I am sure someone here knows other good places?

Please help so that i can do the bookings quickly!!!!

Last edited by lohithrao : 13th October 2011 at 19:39.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:10   #3733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Some unsolicited advice -

If you have time on your side, I'd strongly recommend a stopover somewhere in the middle between Bangalore & Kundapur. 10 month old babies generally get cranky after darkness.

But if you want to do the Bangalore Kundapur stretch at one go, leave early. If it gets dark, you can reduce the baby's crankiness to some extent by switching on the cabin lights.

Feed/change diapers when the car is moving. If the baby is being breastfed, buy two (or four) towels and cover the side windows to give mom & chotu some privacy. Do not stop the car unless it is absolutely necessary - because too many stops will add up 1 or 2 hours to the driving time.
Also, buy some new toys that the baby has not seen before. Take it out during the trip - that will stop the crying for some time.

Anyway, during long trips like this one, babies do "sleep like a baby" most of the time

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th October 2011 at 13:12.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:23   #3734
BHPian

thanks alot for the advice Smartcat!!!! looks like we need to drop north karnataka for a while. one thanks to the advice from members, roads are not so great, two - i called every possible resort which i felt was good and all & i mean all are booked.

Paradise isle have doubled the rates for dec and jan - damn!!! i dont think its worth paying them twise just because of christmas and new year.

I am booking at Kabini so that our overall travel will less and baby will not get tired.

thanks again for all the members to help me out asap decide the place.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:40   #3735
BHPian

Folks,
Need an urgent advice. I'm no stranger to Shiradi ghat but this time it is a different situation. The last time I travelled over Shiradi ghat was in June when the patch work was almost done.

I'll be leaving to Mangalore in this coming weekend with my wife and she is carrying( 7 mths). Is it ok to go via Shiradi in a Safari or do you think it is too much of a hassle. She prefers travelling in a car rather than any other mode of transport for compelling reasons.

Could anyone share the present condition of the road via B'lore -Hassan

Belur--Gendehally---Mudigere---Charmadi---Dharmasthala--Joining back again to NH48.

Based on some previous posts, I understand that Belur--Gendehally- Mudigere is a better option then via Cheekanhally. Is it still the case? How is the road further down from Kottigehaara- Charmaadi --Dharmasthala.

I assume it is only the Shiradi road which is a mess and the road either side of Shiradi is good and that is the reason i want to join NH48 rather than proceeding from Charmadi--Ujire--BC road route.

Any inputs are much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks