Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:42   #3571
Team-BHP Support

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
and even a 30 minute nap in the middle. Had very little sleep last night, had to compensate on the road.
What kind of spots do you pick for your cat naps? Close to towns with people walking by or in the middle of nowhere? Under a tree or next to a petrol pump?
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:59   #3572
Senior - BHPian

I will have to visit Kukke in 1st week of Sep. I have the train tickets confirmed. But I was think about this route as a leisure trip: Bangalore - Holenarasipura - Arakalagud - Kukke via Bisile Ghat (done here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...angundi-4.html)

Has anybody done this recently?
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:07   #3573
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What kind of spots do you pick for your cat naps? Close to towns with people walking by or in the middle of nowhere? Under a tree or next to a petrol pump?
Closer to some human habitation, but away from the crowd. It has to feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
But I was think about this route as a leisure trip: Bangalore - Holenarasipura - Arakalagud - Kukke via Bisile Ghat (done here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...angundi-4.html)

Has anybody done this recently?
That travelogue was done during dry season, Bisle is a totally different animal during rains. I have done it multiple times in monsoons, I fear and respect this ghat. I would not dare travel in in night even in my Jeep. The edges are often eroded, I did fall out of the road last year when I yielded to a rare oncoming vehicle. The fog can be blinding even in day, so night is a suicide since edges can't be seen.

Bisle in Monsoon:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...isle-ghat.html (Monsoon Offroading/Trail-driving in Sakleshpur and Bisle Ghat)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...ml#post2293345

If you have a SUV, you can try it, don't even bother with a sedan/hatch. If you encounter a rare oncoming bus in a narrow stretch, it can be a real pain. You will have to reverse until you find a wider road.

I will mostly be driving on it this weekend in my Jeep, shall report the status.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 09:08   #3574
BHPian

So Shiradi ghat section is back to the old status...bad?? I am driving to Udupi on 29th evening at around 6PM from Bangalore. If the ghat section is really bad then I would start from Bangalore around 2.00 am so that I can reach the ghat section early morning. So do let me know what would be ideal? Alternatively please advice me on Madikeri and Charmadi routes.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:59   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
So Shiradi ghat section is back to the old status...bad?? I am driving to Udupi on 29th evening at around 6PM from Bangalore. If the ghat section is really bad then I would start from Bangalore around 2.00 am so that I can reach the ghat section early morning. So do let me know what would be ideal? Alternatively please advice me on Madikeri and Charmadi routes.
Ghat section is bad, but traffic is not. mining trucks are missing, only those slow moving LPG tankers and busses.

roads are bad, but on a dry day, i could spot all the potholes and could manage on the edges of the road(center is bad).

So i dont think you really need to hit the ghats early, unless you want to reach your destination early.

I left Bangalore at 8, and reached udupi at 12 via ujire-karkala route.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:20   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I left Bangalore at 8, and reached udupi at 12 via ujire-karkala route.
Did you do this stretch all within 4 hours?

What is your ride?
Old 25th August 2011, 10:35   #3577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

What is your ride?
Opps .. Huge Correction , i was trying to say i did it within 8 hours that too with 30 min breakfast and 2-3 10 min break for my little one. (Was in hurry to reach office..bad Jams on ORR)

Started at 4AM, reached at 12PM in 8 hours.

My Ride is my pic.

Is this the first time you are driving to udupi ?
Have you driven same time last year and a year before ? roads are in much better shape now. but it is really bad for those who want to start new.

Samurai was suppose to give us feedback on his return journey. hope to see it soon
Old 25th August 2011, 10:43   #3578
BHPian

Quote:
Opps .. Huge Correction , i was trying to say i did it within 8 hours that too with 30 min breakfast and 2-3 10 min break for my little one. (Was in hurry to reach office..bad Jams on ORR)

Started at 4AM, reached at 12PM in 8 hours.

My Ride is my pic.

Is this the first time you are driving to udupi ?
Have you driven same time last year and a year before ? roads are in much better shape now. but it is really bad for those who want to start new.

Samurai was suppose to give us feedback on his return journey. hope to see it soon
Well, for this year am doing b'lore - m'lore every month. Had been on ujire - karkala couple of times. Usually, it is around 7 - 8 hours for me. Now with shiradi, being what it is can easily add another hour.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:23   #3579
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

What is your ride?
I had instantly assumed Bowler Wild Cat.

Quote:
You mean feedback on alternate route? I will mostly take Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-CKM, my old favourite. It doesn't get too bad even by end of monsoon. No truck traffic you see.

Tomorrow I have to drive to Somwarpet, I am conflicted between Bisle or Shiradi. In an doorless Jeep, Shiradi can get messy, passing vehicles will spray whole lot of muddy water on me. Bisle will be lot shorter, but support vehicle (Swift) may not be able to deal with it.

BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction. Wonder how many poor souls will fall for that joke.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:34   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrow I have to drive to Somwarpet, I am conflicted between Bisle or Shiradi. In an doorless Jeep, Shiradi can get messy, passing vehicles will spray whole lot of muddy water on me. Bisle will be lot shorter, but support vehicle (Swift) may not be able to deal with it.
If you are travelling via Handalli-Kundalli, the swift should make it although the going might be slow. The worst parts come after this junction, right? I'm assuming that you will be coming from Sakleshpur side.

Quote:
BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction. Wonder how many poor souls will fall for that joke.
It had its fair share of poor souls without the help of Google and now I really pity the new guys. Seriously, when the govt is struggling to keep the Shiradi ghat in good condition, I really doubt that Bisle will get the attention it deserves atleast for the next few years
Old 25th August 2011, 11:46   #3581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction.
MMI doesn't have this road in their maps. After Mallipatna, it routes right towards NH 48 & joins that road after Manjurabad Fort.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:43   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
MMI doesn't have this road in their maps. After Mallipatna, it routes right towards NH 48 & joins that road after Manjurabad Fort.
You don't have to go to Mallipatna to take the Bisle ghat road. It is a very big roundabout. Yes, MMI does not show this route. There are 3 options to reach Bisle from Mallipatna. All 3 are not shown.

1. Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle
2. Mallipatna-Kodlipet-Yeslur-Igoor-Hethur-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle
3. Mallipatna-Kodlipet-Shukravarasante-Byakaravalli-Hethur-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle

Option 1 is the shortest and 3 is the longest.
Old 26th August 2011, 08:22   #3583
Team-BHP Support

Is there no direct route from Handalli-Kudige to Sanivarsante? Consider the following map from Wikimapia. I have marked Handalli-Kudige in red circle and Sanivarsante in blue circle. It looks like one has to take a long roundabout either way.

I have to go to Sanivarsante via Bisle ghat, and this is not making me happy. I might as well take Shiradi if there is no direct route to Sanivarsante.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fullscreen-capture-8262011-124502-am.bmp.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fullscreen-capture-8262011-124530-am.bmp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you are travelling via Handalli-Kundalli, the swift should make it although the going might be slow. The worst parts come after this junction, right? I'm assuming that you will be coming from Sakleshpur side.
Um, no. Why would I need Bisle if I am coming from Sakleshpur side? I will be coming from Subramanya side. Bisle is the shortest route between Mangalore and north Coorg.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:30   #3584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there no direct route from Handalli-Kudige to Sanivarsante? Consider the following map from Wikimapia. I have marked Handalli-Kudige in red circle and Sanivarsante in blue circle. It looks like one has to take a long roundabout either way.
AFAIK, there is no direct route between Handalli Kudige and Shanivarasante. But, there is a direct road from Vanagur Koodu Raste to Shanivarsante. I forget the name of the villages it passes through (I can confirm later in the evening though), but I have no idea regarding the road conditions. I have mentioned this route in my previous post as well. This road is also shown in Google maps.

Quote:
Um, no. Why would I need Bisle if I am coming from Sakleshpur side? I will be coming from Subramanya side. Bisle is the shortest route between Mangalore and north Coorg.
Agreed. I had thought you might be starting from Bangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 11:01   #3585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
AFAIK, there is no direct route between Handalli Kudige and Shanivarasante. But, there is a direct road from Vanagur Koodu Raste to Shanivarsante. I forget the name of the villages it passes through (I can confirm later in the evening though), but I have no idea regarding the road conditions. I have mentioned this route in my previous post as well. This road is also shown in Google maps.
Yes, I see that now. But Wikimapia image I posted above has the road between Handalli-Kudige to Kundalli, but nothing between Koodu Raste to Sanivarsanthe. But I remember seeing 3 roads converge at Koodu Raste, when I passed there two years back.

Now google map has that road, but totally misses the Somvarpet road and has no marking for most towns.

Bisle Ghat Rd, Karnataka - Google Maps

Anyway, now I know Koodu Raste to Sanivarsante is a straight road. Good enough for me.

Condition of the road is not important considering the vehicle. Besides, it can't be worse than Bisle ghat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks