Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 21:43   #4126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Hmm, just 33? What about the next toll booth? I paid 33/- at both toll booths, did I make a mistake? Also the peenya flyover toll has jumped to 20 bucks. Last time I paid just 15 bucks toll for the whole trip, this time 86 bucks.
I've travelled on this route only once since the toll collection started. I showed the toll receipt at the other end & he let me go. Now, I'm a bit confused.
Old 11th July 2012, 13:23   #4127
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

I drove in this route this Saturday. The Shirady has started breaking up, expect some potholes here and there. Otherwise the route is mostly fine.
Hmmm, I wonder if I should then take the Mudigere-Charmadi route or probably even the Adlur-Sringeri-Agumbe route. Any updates on Charmadi?
Old 11th July 2012, 13:36   #4128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Mangalore people: Is it just me or has anybody else noticed an unusually high number of Maruti Ritz on the Mangalore-Udupi road?
Yes . It is.Looks like the whole of DK is obessessed with the Ritz . We also have 2 in the family

I know people who wanted to buy the new Swift , but ended up buying the Ritz because of lower waiting periods .

A friend just did a one day Bangalore - Sakleshpur- Mudigere- Charmadi - Dharmasthala- Nelyadi - Sakleshpur - Hassan - Bangalore in his R15 bike . He said except for the usual bad stretches between Mudigere - Charmadi and the Shiradi , the drive was awesome.

B9Rs consistently do Bangalore ( Majestic) to Mangalore in around 6 hours
Old 14th July 2012, 12:32   #4129
BHPian

I travelled to Udupi on Monday and came back on Thursday! This time I took Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Shiradi - Mangalore - Udupi. The Magadi town stretch has been completely fixed and it was a pleasure to drive very early in the morming.

I had to pay toll of Rs.33/- for the Kunigal -Devihalli stretch. For people travelling from south of Bangalore this route would be ideal. Shiradi ghat section has started to break apart inspite of poor monsoon! Wonder what will happen if the rains catch up!!
Old 16th July 2012, 10:03   #4130
Distinguished - BHPian

Drove to Mangalore from Bangalore on Friday afternoon and drove back yesterday morning (in an Alto). Route is still in great shape.

A couple of potholes here and there on Shiradi, as compared to how it was in May, but nothing major. The route is still in the best shape that I can recall seeing it over the past 10 years.
Old 18th July 2012, 16:44   #4131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
Drove to Mangalore from Bangalore on Friday afternoon and drove back yesterday morning (in an Alto). Route is still in great shape.
You were lucky to cross Sakaleshpur by morning. I reached there at around 3 in the afternoon on the same day and saw some policemen and many vehicles stranded just before Sakaleshpur town. When enquired, they said that an accident had taken place inside the town earlier in the noon which resulted in the death of a youth. So the angry mob had pelted stones on buses and blocked the highway from 1 pm. Then I took the Sakaleshpur - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan route. The stretch between Sakaleshpur and Mudigere was not that great but Mudigere - Belur - Hassan was in excellent condition. Later came to know that they opened the highway only at 6 30 pm.
guyfrmblr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 04:06   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
... but Mudigere - Belur - Hassan was in excellent condition. Later came to know that they opened the highway only at 6 30 pm.
Are you referring to the normal road between Mudigere and Belur, or the circuitous one via Gendehalli?

When you say they 'opened' the highway, do you mean the road has been re-surfaced now?
Old 21st July 2012, 09:14   #4133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere

Are you referring to the normal road between Mudigere and Belur, or the circuitous one via Gendehalli?

When you say they 'opened' the highway, do you mean the road has been re-surfaced now?
Its the normal road between Mudigere and Belur. It's the first time I travelled on that road.

The Mangalore - Bangalore highway wasn't closed for resurfacing. The locals of Sakaleshpur had blocked it for venting out anger on the Government for not widening the road or something like that. They unblocked the road only in the evening.
Old 21st July 2012, 16:07   #4134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr
Then I took the Sakaleshpur - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan route. The stretch between Sakaleshpur and Mudigere was not that great but Mudigere - Belur - Hassan was in excellent condition. Later came to know that they opened the highway only at 6 30 pm.
I presume you had to take a left turn before Sakleshpur town if I'm right. That is the Hanbal route. If this is the route you took, you would not have reached Mudigere because you would have reached the Mudigere-Belur road about 10 kms before Mudigere. This junction is called Jannapura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere

The Mudigere-Gendehalli-Belur route is not at all circuitous. It is in fact a couple of kms shorter than the Cheeknally route and reaches Mudigere town directly.

But, in guyfrmblr's case, it would have been circuitous for him. I guess you meant this
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 12:01   #4135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
You were lucky to cross Sakaleshpur by morning. I reached there at around 3 in the afternoon on the same day and saw some policemen and many vehicles stranded just before Sakaleshpur town.
Whew! Lucky indeed. We were also lucky to miss the traffic generated by the political rally when we entered Bangalore, by avoiding Palace Road that day.

As far as traveling by road goes, it's always best to leave as early as possible. In fact a friend on that trip was suggesting we leave "aaram se" after lunch, but fortunately I insisted we leave early.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:52   #4136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige

I presume you had to take a left turn before Sakleshpur town if I'm right. That is the Hanbal route. If this is the route you took, you would not have reached Mudigere because you would have reached the Mudigere-Belur road about 10 kms before Mudigere. This junction is called Jannapura.
Exactly. I had forgotten the name of that junction. We took a right at Jannapura. The stretch between Sakaleshpur and Jannapura was not that great but very scenic with Western Ghats to the left and coffee estates to the right.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 23rd July 2012 at 13:54.
guyfrmblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:01   #4137
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday I drove back to Manipal. Encountered very heavy rains throughout Shiradi ghats, I could hardly see the road at noon time. Witnessed lots of rolled over vehicles on the way.
Old 23rd July 2012, 18:45   #4138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I drove back to Manipal. Encountered very heavy rains throughout Shiradi ghats, I could hardly see the road at noon time. Witnessed lots of rolled over vehicles on the way.
Rolled over?? Sounds scary. Were they all lorries, and why would they have rolled over?
Old 1st August 2012, 23:49   #4139
BHPian

Can anyone of the frequent travelers update the conditions of shiradi ghat? Its been almost a month since the last update on the conditions. I know there have been some rains and am hoping the roads are still allright. I have a trip coming up next week and worried about the condition.
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:27   #4140
BHPian

Re: Kundapur - Goa border

IRB Infra has won the NHAI contract for 4 laning from kundapura until goa border. The construction period has been set at 900 odd days. Hope, they do a good job on this stretch in time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks