Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 23:12   #5221
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
We are open to going via sagar/honnavar or Shimoga/Agumbe or via Shiradi. Now that the shiradi route is fine, we are more keen to take this route. We do not want any options in Mangalore though because it will take away from the "touristiness" of the trip
Shimoga is your best bet. I don't know of any hotels in 2K budget. But for 4-5K you have Royal Orchid and Jewel Rock.

The best option via road Shimoga/Thirthahalli/Agumbe/Someshwar/Vandse/Kollur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 06:15   #5222
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All. I need a suggestion. We are heading to Kollur on Saturday from Bangalore. I want to break the journey about 2 hours short of Kollur and need suggestions. Our only criteria is that the hotel has to be clean and about 2k per room. We are open to going via sagar/honnavar or Shimoga/Agumbe or via Shiradi. Now that the shiradi route is fine, we are more keen to take this route. We do not want any options in Mangalore though because it will take away from the "touristiness" of the trip

Do you have any recommendations for a good clean hotel about 100 kms or so from Kollur? Ofcourse, there should be some place to visit etc.. a beach, ancient monument, river.. anything will do.
Even a break at Udupi should be fine. You have good stay options there at Rs.2000 budget. Malpe beach, lot of water bodies, Krishna temple and an evening stroll at Manipal are some options to explore.
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:52   #5223
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for a good clean hotel about 100 kms or so from Kollur? Ofcourse, there should be some place to visit etc.. a beach, ancient monument, river.. anything will do.

Hotel Sharon on the NH at Kundapur is a good bet. Budget hotel and its pretty decent. There are places to visit around Kundapur(Marvante beach etc)
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 11:55   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Hotel Sharon on the NH at Kundapur is a good bet. Budget hotel and its pretty decent. There are places to visit around Kundapur(Marvante beach etc)
I second that. Have stayed there a couple of nights. Good clean budget hotel
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:17   #5225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Even a break at Udupi should be fine. You have good stay options there at Rs.2000 budget. Malpe beach, lot of water bodies, Krishna temple and an evening stroll at Manipal are some options to explore.
I was browsing to figure out some stay options near Udupi and found this.
http://www.thebluematsya.com/ (on Kaup beach)
Unfortunately I have already confirmed my booking with a homestay at Manipal, I thought this to be of some use here
Old 29th May 2014, 16:24   #5226

I travelled from Udupi to Bangalore today morning through Karkala, Belthangadi, Ujire, Charmadi, Kottigehara, Mudigere, Belur, Hassan - Bangalore. Roads were excellent throughout and I completed the journey in 6 hours + a half hour break for breakfast at Belthangadi. I have become a great fan of this route now - less traffic, good roads, excellent scenery.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:01   #5227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi View Post
I travelled from Udupi to Bangalore today morning through Karkala, Belthangadi, Ujire, Charmadi, Kottigehara, Mudigere, Belur, Hassan - Bangalore. Roads were excellent throughout and I completed the journey in 6 hours + a half hour break for breakfast at Belthangadi. I have become a great fan of this route now - less traffic, good roads, excellent scenery.
Have they fixed pot holes around Kottigehara? It used to be quite bad some time back.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:26   #5228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Have they fixed pot holes around Kottigehara? It used to be quite bad some time back.
Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi was good since a long time as I can recall. was fully good even last June as well and never heard anyone reporting that to be bad.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:42   #5229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
I was browsing to figure out some stay options near Udupi and found this.
http://www.thebluematsya.com/ (on Kaup beach)
I did talk to the owner a few months ago when I was planning my trip. Even though the property is on the beach, it doesn't seem to be value for money. Food is a problem as you will need to talk to the local help there and come to an arrangement or drive 5-6km to the nearest hotel. Also read somewhere that the sea is pretty rough around this area and hence a deal breaker for me as my 3 year old loves to jump around in the water.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:42   #5230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmadi was good since a long time as I can recall. was fully good even last June as well and never heard anyone reporting that to be bad.
It was bad during last December. But now it has got a fresh layer of asphalt and is in very good condition. Don't know the status after the recent spell of rains though.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 17:58   #5231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
It was bad during last December. But now it has got a fresh layer of asphalt and is in very good condition. Don't know the status after the recent spell of rains though.
I guess what was bad is the section soon after entering Dakshina Kannada District after that Temple on the Ghats where the countdown for the Hairpin curves start.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:03   #5232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I guess what was bad is the section soon after entering Dakshina Kannada District after that Temple on the Ghats where the countdown for the Hairpin curves start.
I thought about 15-20 km before the Balehonnur/Kalasa turning was bad. It was quite bumpy and rough.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:08   #5233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought about 15-20 km before the Balehonnur/Kalasa turning was bad. It was quite bumpy and rough.
Thats Mudigere Handpost-Banakal-Kottigehara which itself is around 17 kms IIRC. This section was earlier one of the worst but only a couple of years before. Off late, this sections remains motorable even when it turns bad during rains.

Way back before 2012 era, there was no road here at all. In fact even after Kottigehara till you crossed onto Dakshina Kannada border it was in Shambles.

I have noticed that Charmadi has been consistent in terms or ensuring good roads over the last 2-3 years overall and thanks to narrow roads, this will seldom witness freight traffic in coming years unless the NH status tagged to this road will result in expansion!
Old 29th May 2014, 19:18   #5234
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All. I need a suggestion. We are heading to Kollur on Saturday from Bangalore. I want to break the journey about 2 hours short of Kollur and need suggestions. Our only criteria is that the hotel has to be clean and about 2k per room. We are open to going via sagar/honnavar or Shimoga/Agumbe or via Shiradi. Now that the shiradi route is fine, we are more keen to take this route. We do not want any options in Mangalore though because it will take away from the "touristiness" of the trip

Take Shiradi.
You can halt at any of the hotels in Udupi and drive to Kollur which is around 80 kms. Or drive further down to kundapur and stay at Sharon or J.K Towers. Will cost you around 1000rs for Double AC . Clean and nice hotel with very good non-veg food at both the hotels.

For sight seeing you have numerous temples (Krishna temple, aanegudde, kundeshwar, ambalpady etc) and couple of beaches (malpe, kodi, marvanthe).
Old 29th May 2014, 21:38   #5235
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the pointers. We called Sharon hotel and it was full. Then I did a bit of searching around and could not zero in on a good option at 2k or so. We went with Turtle beach resort now at about 3500 per room, inclusive of bf. A little OT, but there is 15% cashback for Citibank cards on all yatra.com bookings!

I am so happy to hear the roads are good in this section of Karnataka. I remember around 5-8 years ago, I toured this region a few times in my Zen. And I don't have fond memories of Shiradi Ghats at all. And even that NH13 around kudremukh. The Charmadi area was not far behind in trying to tear apart the tiny car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks