Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2012, 12:27   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The Kumbakonam by-pass to PApanasam suits very well and reached Tirukkaruavur temple in around 45 mins from the bypass. I could drive at 60 kmph at the MAX. I averaged 30 kmph approx. The Bridge IS Complete and we can park the car at the temple gate directly.
I had a scare when I went 2-3 years back. The bridge was broken and at 7PM it was getting pitch dark. We had to park on the other side and walk
through a hanging foot bridge, with water levels perilously close to the bridge! (And that it was quite a flowing water)

Auto guys had a good business that day ferrying passengers too and fro from the temple to the other end of the bridge and they were charging what they liked.

We some how finished and made it back by 8.30PM to Kumbakonam.

Really good to hear that the bridge is up and one can drive all the way to the temple.
(I think I read this earlier too about the bridge completion work, but not sure).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:28   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

I completed the Trip and a Big Thank you to Venki.Bala and Ampere, without whose inputs, i would have really suffered

From chennai took the GST Road Tambaram - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet. Lookout for 4 toll plazas (Rupees 25, 25, 62 and 40) at each of the toll posts. After the 4th toll plaza (the one where you would pay 40/-) keep continuing straight and you would pass Hotel Arya Bhavan on your left. Just after that hotel, there is a "Left" turn, a tarred road. Take that left and its a straight road to Jayankondam and Kumbakonam. This left is not so good and my santro bumped a lot in this road. This is hardly a 4 kms stretch, after which it is a state highway in decent condition.

It took me 5/5.5 hours to reach kumbakonam with a tea break at the 4th toll plaza for about 20 mins. I drove at speeds of 80kmph and very rarely touched 100kmph on straight stretches. Mentioning speed to just give fellow bhpians an idea of the speed to time ratio.
Bharath that's great update. How did you go from jayamkondan straight to meensurity or through bridge at palur.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:37   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I had a scare when I went 2-3 years back. The bridge was broken and at 7PM it was getting pitch dark. We had to park on the other side and walk
through a hanging foot bridge, with water levels perilously close to the bridge! (And that it was quite a flowing water)

Auto guys had a good business that day ferrying passengers too and fro from the temple to the other end of the bridge and they were charging what they liked.

We some how finished and made it back by 8.30PM to Kumbakonam.

Really good to hear that the bridge is up and one can drive all the way to the temple.
(I think I read this earlier too about the bridge completion work, but not sure).
Yep - The bridge is completed and is motorable. I parked right at the gate of the temple. Autos in Tamil NAdu are so horrible that the lesser spoken the better. Charging 25 per km is so much robbery given the fact that AC innovas charge lesser than 25 per km . It is really a boon to have a car and drive there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Bharath that's great update. How did you go from jayamkondan straight to meensurity or through bridge at palur.
Venki - I took the Meensurutty - Anaikarai bridge. The Anaikarai bridge is repaired and Policemen are co-ordinating the one-way movement of vehicles on the bridge using Walky-talkies. This is the only place where i saw 4 wheelers queing up one behind the other patiently and not trying to honk / push their way. I inquired with a local and he suggested to go via anaikarai instead of T.Palur so went with the local's advice.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st September 2012 at 12:39.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:49   #139
BHPian

Just returned from Chennai-Kumbakonam-Chennai round trip on a Force traveller. Took the Ulundurpet - Jayamkondan-Anaikarai onward (total of 6 hrs include a 45 mins break at Villupuram Aryas). Return was via T. Palur bridge as there was a traffic diversion blocking the Anaikarai route. The bridge is great but the approach road though motorable is narrow. It is better to avoid it if you are driving through this stretch in the dark.

Stayed at Paradise resort in Darasuram and visited the folllowing temples
1) Thiruvalanchuzhi
2) Batteswaram
3) Avoor
4) Kozhi Kothi - Vanam mutti perumal temple
5) Indhalur -Parimala rangathana temple
6) Thirucherai
7) Srivanchiyam
8) Nachiyar Koil
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 09:45   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Just returned from Chennai-Kumbakonam-Chennai round trip on a Force traveller. Took the Ulundurpet - Jayamkondan-Anaikarai onward (total of 6 hrs include a 45 mins break at Villupuram Aryas). Return was via T. Palur bridge as there was a traffic diversion blocking the Anaikarai route. The bridge is great but the approach road though motorable is narrow. It is better to avoid it if you are driving through this stretch in the dark.

Stayed at Paradise resort in Darasuram and visited the folllowing temples
1) Thiruvalanchuzhi
2) Batteswaram
3) Avoor
4) Kozhi Kothi - Vanam mutti perumal temple
5) Indhalur -Parimala rangathana temple
6) Thirucherai
7) Srivanchiyam
8) Nachiyar Koil
Good update. Can you please eloborate little as to how to reach T.palur bridge and where exactly the deviation starts/ends from the Kumbakonam side and jayamkondam road.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:41   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Good update. Can you please eloborate little as to how to reach T.palur bridge and where exactly the deviation starts/ends from the Kumbakonam side and jayamkondam road.
Unfortunately, I did not take part in the return leg of the journey and learnt from mother that they were diverted via the T Palur road. The diversion was a temporary one this Sunday due to a protest march which turned violent. Will check with somebody who takes the route regularly and post back.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

Can someone update the current condition of roads between Cuddalore and Seerkaazhi? Have to make a trip in another couple of weeks. I last drove on this route during third week of July and the road for a few KM out of Cuddalore was bad, after that it was OK. Is the Cuddalore bypass open now?
Old 10th December 2012, 15:56   #143
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Planning to do a kumbakonam trip during last week this month.

@scorpiobarath, Ampere, Venki -- Want some clarifications

1. Did scorpiobarath took a left before Ulundurpet (Last time in January I went to Ulundurpet and took virudachalam route)
2. How is T.Palur road. Is it better than Gangakonda Cholapuram - Anaikarai - Thirupanathal route.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:06   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
1. Did scorpiobarath took a left before Ulundurpet (Last time in January I went to Ulundurpet and took virudachalam route)
This is what I think you should take to go past Ulundurpet to go to Vridhachalam.

Route Link

Quote:
2. How is T.Palur road. Is it better than Gangakonda Cholapuram - Anaikarai - Thirupanathal route.
I am not sure about it. It would be good to confirm. I think you should take the Vridhachalam-Sethiarthoppe-Anaikarai option.
That way you also bypass Jayamkondam if you plan to go via Anaikarai.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:30   #145
BHPian

Quote:

You can go ahead with T.palur road. Road is decent. Few rough surfaces and potholes but nothing bad. This way you can bypass anakarai altogether. Ulundurpet - Jayamkondam route is good. Most of the buses take this route now. Nevertheless you can confirm the road conditions in Jayamkondam and then proceed accordingly. The road that Ampere sir has shown is the right way to bypass Ulundurpet.

Last edited by venki.bala : 10th December 2012 at 17:34. Reason: Forgot to mention
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 18:31   #146
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Got it. I will byepass ulundurpet (not taking right to get into the town), and take the Pullur route to hit Mangalampettai on the Jayamgondam road.

@ Ampere - I doubt whether Seithathope to Anaikarai is in good condition.

I will take a decision at Jayamkondam whether to take Gangakondacholapuram (it was very good till Anaikarai last time) or T.Palur route as suggested by Venki.

Thanks again.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:37   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
+1. Go by what Venki says. He knows the best as he is a regular on
that route.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got it. I will byepass ulundurpet (not taking right to get into the town), and take the Pullur route to hit Mangalampettai on the Jayamgondam road.

I will take a decision at Jayamkondam whether to take Gangakondacholapuram (it was very good till Anaikarai last time) or T.Palur route as suggested by Venki.

Thanks again.
When i was in Kumbakonam in October, I went to Gangaikonda chozhapuram and the roads are excellent all throughout.
Only thing is, you have to wait in Anaikarai bridge for couple of minutes as it is made one way, and traffic copy will signal you when to go and when to stop.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 01:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I continued on the Highway till i crossed the 4th Toll (Ulundurpet toll). There will be a hotel to your left and just beyond that you have a small left. The left is narrow but well marked with white lines. Take that left. The roads are bad but doable in any car other than a civic. The bad roads are for 6 kms at the best i guess. After that the roads are all good upto kumbakonam. Anaikarai bridge is repaired and well cooordinated by Policemen using walkie talkies.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 06:54   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The left is narrow but well marked with white lines. Take that left. The bad roads are for 6 kms at the best i guess. After that the roads are all good upto kumbakonam. Anaikarai bridge is repaired and well cooordinated by Policemen using walkie talkies.
As far as I am concerned, Kumbakonam and its surroundings are a nightmare for cars with strictly average roads all around. I once traveled in the road that you have mentioned in my Santro 2 years back and got the shock of my life. The Anaikarai bridge was closed and I was forced to take a long detour. The road was pretty bad too, the car pitched and bobbed over the uneven surfaces and that was the end of it. Since then, I have driven to Kumbakonam thrice and every time, I go to Trichy and take the superb Trichy-Thanjavur Highway, which takes us close to Kumbakonam (35 km) in beautiful four-lane roads. The last 35 km is still horrible though.
Quote:
The roads are bad but doable in any car other than a civic.
I vouch for this statement. Though you were specific about the road, I would say this is applicable on all the approach roads of Kumbakonam. All the 3 recent instances that I mentioned were done in Civic and Taveras, Sumos, Innovas, Santros and even TNSTC buses were overtaking me left, right and center. A few of the private mofussil buses started harassing me in fact, as they thought I am slowing down their progress over bad patches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks