Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 16:23   #61
J.Ravi

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What is the current condition of roads between Cuddalore - Sirkazhi?
I drove in my Linea from Chennai to Velankanni via Pondy and Sirkazhi on NH 45/66/45A on 19 August 2011. The roads were fine except near Cuddalore where the entire road was dug up due to drainage/water-supply pipeline works that were in progress in some towns resulting in traffic blockade during peak hours. Sirkazhi bypass is also complete.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th August 2011 at 16:31.
  (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 16:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I drove in my Linea from Chennai to Velankanni via Pondy and Sirkazhi on NH 45/66/45A on 19 August 2011. The roads are fine except near Cuddalore where the entire road was dug up due to drainage/water-supply pipeline works that were in progress in some towns resulting in traffic blockade during peak hours. Sirkazhi bypass is also complete.
I have to dash to Sirkazhi and back in one day. Were these diggings too bothersome?

Last edited by Gansan : 25th August 2011 at 16:33.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:37   #63
J.Ravi

Quote:
I have to dash to Sirkazhi and back in one day. Were these diggings too bothersome?
Your query and my editing the post took place simultaneously! I drove this stretch on Friday [19 August 2011]. I left my Royapettah home by 6:30 am, reached Manakkula Vinayakar temple by 9:00 am, left Pondy by 10:00 am and reached Velankanni by 2:00 pm on the same day. Nothing to worry about the messy roads near Cuddalore, but you have to drive slowly and carefully. Driving Chennai>Sirkazhi>Chennai in one day is very much possible.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th August 2011 at 16:40.

Old 18th October 2011, 08:56   #64
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

Any status updates on the Anaikarai bridge repairs? is it still closed or opened for the traffic?

Thanks.
Venkatesh
Old 18th October 2011, 11:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Hello Everyone,

Any status updates on the Anaikarai bridge repairs? is it still closed or opened for the traffic?

Thanks.
Venkatesh
A temporary bridge is in use for Light vehicles (Cars/Vans).. But No major work is going on in main bridge.. God only knows about the completion..
Old 18th October 2011, 18:07   #66
BHPian

Thanks Saabasheer. I hope something positive happens to this bridge soon.
Old 4th November 2011, 20:07   #67
BHPian

I may be driving to Kumbakonam and back on Sunday/Monday. Please advise on the route. Options are

1. Tindivanam - Pondy - Cuddalore - Chidambaram -Mayavaram - Kumbakonam

2. Tindivanam - Pondy - Cuddalore - Bhuvanagiri - Sethiatope - Kumbakonam (if the temporary bridge at Anaikari is open)

3. Ulundurpet - Jayamkondan - Kumbakonam (if bridge is open)

4. Via Trichy - Thanjavur - though longer will provide the best roads particularly after the rains this week
Old 4th November 2011, 20:44   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I may be driving to Kumbakonam and back on Sunday/Monday. Please advise on the route. Options are
There is a fifth option as well.

Chennai-Tindivanam-Vikravandi-Panruti-Sethiyarthope-Chidambaram-Sirkazi-Mayavaram-Kumbakonam.

The Anaikarai bridge I think is still not open so you still need to go via Chidambaram.
Now compared to Pondi/Cuddalore this may provide an option with less traffic. But I think roads are not as good as ECR.
Old 4th November 2011, 21:02   #69
BHPian

We did Chennai - Chidambaram by this route by Force traveller 20 days back. The road was bad in quite a few stretches and could have become worse due to the recent rains. If the Chidambaram - Mayavaram route is to be taken, better via Pondy - Cuddalore
Old 21st November 2011, 10:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

I did a day trip to Pondy and back yesterday, via Tindivanam. The NH 45 till Tindivanam was good as always, but what took me by surprise was the Tindivanam - Pondy road, as I had not taken this route since May'10. Just one word to describe it - SUPERB! The toll booths are ready, but not yet operational.

There is some confusion to enter this road from Tindivanam. The flyover has been made one-way so I had to proceed on the road under the flyover and climb from the opposite end.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:42   #71
BHPian

yes that stretch between Tindivanam and Pondy is superb. But lot of accidents occur due to our fellow citizens visiting Pondy on weekends for " Obvious reasons" and driving back in 2 wheeler using this road... My colleagues family had a very miraculous escape 2 months back when a 2 wheeler with 3 people in " Obvious conditions " decided to take a u-turn all of a sudden... my friends car toppled over as he tried avoiding a direct hit. the 2 wheeler escaped, didn't even bothered to call ambulance.. a truck fellow coming behind stopped and helped the family and called the ambulance... be careful when driving this highway in weekends especially.

Quote:
I did a day trip to Pondy and back yesterday, via Tindivanam. The NH 45 till Tindivanam was good as always, but what took me by surprise was the Tindivanam - Pondy road, as I had not taken this route since May'10. Just one word to describe it - SUPERB! The toll booths are ready, but not yet operational.

There is some confusion to enter this road from Tindivanam. The flyover has been made one-way so I had to proceed on the road under the flyover and climb from the opposite end.
Old 16th December 2011, 00:10   #72
BHPian

A Sr. friend is travelling from BLR - Chennai - Pondy - Chidambaram.

He was planning Chennai - Pondy via ECR. Seems like the route via Thindivanam seems to be better (except for the safety concern).

Should I be recommending ECR or Thindivanam route?

And need help with, between Pondy - Chidambaram:
1. which route to take?
2. how is the road condition?
3. anything to watch out in these areas?
Old 16th December 2011, 01:07   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
A Sr. friend is travelling from BLR - Chennai - Pondy - Chidambaram.
He was planning Chennai - Pondy via ECR. Seems like the route via Thindivanam seems to be better (except for the safety concern).
Anytime the 4L option is better. The route via Tindivanam (GST) followed by NH66 is 4LL all the way

Quote:
1. which route to take?
2. how is the road condition?
3. anything to watch out in these areas?
- This has to be ECR only. (Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram)
- Decent road condition, but lots of traffic
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 09:28   #74
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
I recommend NH 45/66 to Pondy via Tindivanam. It's nice 4 lane all the way. I heard that they started collecting toll for Tindivanam - Pondy stretch.
Quote:
Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram on NH 45A is okay except heavy traffic between Pondy and Cuddalore. Bad stretches due to underground drainage works which were in progress in Cuddalore and nearby areas when I drove on that route in August 2011.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 16th December 2011 at 09:29.
  (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 19:38   #75
BHPian

My dad did a Chennai-Thirunallar-Thiruvarur, Mannargudi-Kumbakonam-anaikarai-panruti-Chennai trip last week. Per him, Chennai-Tindivanam-Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Thirunallar is usual (not bad) but Anaikarai-Vikravandi was very bad with the Vadalur -panruti stretch horrible. The Anaikarai bridge has been beefed up, signals installed to allow up and down alternative movement and expected to be opened for buses shortly.

Just returned from Chennai -Samayapuram- Tanjavur trip via Tiruchi bypass. Took 5 4.50 minutes on the return including a 10 mins break at Ulundurpettai. The only bottleneck experienced was the Tiruchi bypass-Thiruverumbur stretch.

Stayed at hotel Ramnath in Thanjavur near the new bus stand, had food in their restaurant and the experience was very good.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks