Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 17:08   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
That's exactly why I wanted to take NH45 over ECR.
BTW, isn't Ulunderpet-Virudhachalam a bit longer than the usual Vikaravandi-Neyveli? Any reasons for suggesting the former?

I'd like to know how the road is between Vikaravandi-Neyveli-Chidambaram.
Sorry for the typo. I meant not to take Vikaravandi-Neyveli route.
Yes Ulundurpet route is about 30-40km longer. But the route via Vikravandi-Panruti is typically in bad conditions all the times.
Old 13th August 2012, 17:26   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, isn't Ulunderpet-Virudhachalam a bit longer than the usual Vikaravandi-Neyveli? Any reasons for suggesting the former?
Something like 25 km, but Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam-Jayamkondam is in good condition. Panruti-Neyveli-Kumbakonam hasn't been in good condition for quite some time now. Panruti route is 275 km and Ulundurpet is like 300 km.
Old 18th August 2012, 21:02   #123
BHPian

Completed the long awaiting Thirukadaiyur trip today. I'd to take the ECR :( as there was an accident near Mamandur which created a huge pile up in the GST road. I reached Mamandur around 0530 and had to wait till 0620 to get back to Chengelpet (so that I can take the ECR).

Pondy-Cuddalore was full of traffic with the OT stretch at its worst. And the single lane road from Putthur (some place after Sirkazhi) till Thirukadaiyur was demanding! Every time I slot into 3rd, comes a lorry on the opposite side - I'd to move out (read out of tarmac) so that he can pass. Also, the place where Chidambaram bypass lands you onto the Sirkazhi road is a disaster waiting to happen. There were no speed breakers, no lane markings, no dividers and not even a sign board. If you're exiting the bypass you just barge into the oncoming traffic.

But then, we had a great time at the temple. Dharshan was good and that's is all we need, isn't?
hdnivara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 11:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Ampere / Venkibala,

I am taking Chennai - ulundurpet - Vridhachalam - Jayamkondan - kumbakonam.

Google maps is not allowing me / showing me to travel via Jayamkondan - t.Palur - karaikuruchi - Neerathanallur - Thirunallur

It is asking me to go via Jayankondam - Meensurutty - thathuvancherry - thirupananthal - kalambaram

Is there any issue with the bridge between karaikuruchi and neerathanallur
Old 19th August 2012, 12:44   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Ampere / Venkibala,

Google maps is not allowing me / showing me to travel via Jayamkondan - t.Palur - karaikuruchi - Neerathanallur - Thirunallur

It is asking me to go via Jayankondam - Meensurutty - thathuvancherry - thirupananthal - kalambaram

Is there any issue with the bridge between karaikuruchi and neerathanallur
Please avoid Jayamkondan - T palur route. Very badly maintained highway. lots of potholes. I am not sure about the bridge condition.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 13:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please avoid Jayamkondan - T palur route. Very badly maintained highway. lots of potholes. I am not sure about the bridge condition.
Thank you Venki Bala. Could you please suggest to me which route i could take from Jayamkondan/vridhachalam to reach Kumbakonam/Tirukkarugavur?
Old 19th August 2012, 16:51   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Venki Bala. Could you please suggest to me which route i could take from Jayamkondan/vridhachalam to reach Kumbakonam/Tirukkarugavur?
The best would be go through Meensurity - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam bypass - papanasam - Thriukarugavur. It would be great if you stop at Jayamkondam and check if the T-Palur route and the bridge across cauver at thirunallur. when i had gone 2years ago, the anaikarai bridge was closed and I was diverted to Thirukarugavur through T- palur - Ariyalur road till paluvur and then to Thiruvaiyaru to papanasam to thirukarugavur. It was in horrible condition because there is a cement factory and limestone from the quarry was taken across this road and potholes were like craters.

If you confirm that there is a bridge across thirunallur and the road is good, it is a good news, but you will have to get it confirmed at Jayamkondam with good sources like cab/bus drivers. Sorry could not help you further.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 19:51   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
The best would be go through Meensurity - Anaikarai - Kumbakonam bypass - papanasam - Thriukarugavur. It would be great if you stop at Jayamkondam and check if the T-Palur route and the bridge across cauver at thirunallur. when i had gone 2years ago, the anaikarai bridge was closed and I was diverted to Thirukarugavur through T- palur - Ariyalur road till paluvur and then to Thiruvaiyaru to papanasam to thirukarugavur. It was in horrible condition because there is a cement factory and limestone from the quarry was taken across this road and potholes were like craters.
Venki has already answered all the questions. I dont know the status from Jayamkondam to Anaikarai.

But I read on the forum that the Anaikarai bridge is open and the traffic is controlled as only way can pass.
Nonetheless, it would be good to confirm at Jayamkondam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 17:55   #129
BHPian

Quote:

If you confirm that there is a bridge across thirunallur and the road is good, it is a good news, but you will have to get it confirmed at Jayamkondam with good sources like cab/bus drivers. Sorry could not help you further.
Quote:
Venki has already answered all the questions. I dont know the status from Jayamkondam to Anaikarai.

But I read on the forum that the Anaikarai bridge is open and the traffic is controlled as only way can pass.
Nonetheless, it would be good to confirm at Jayamkondam.
The bridge at Anakarai is well moderated by local police. I am getting unconfirmed info that the route past Jayamkondam (bridge on Cauvery) to Neerathanallur is now open. Some one has to venture to find out.

An useful tip for folks travelling via Virudhachalam-Jayamkondam towards Mayiladuthurai, Chidambaram (bypassing Kumbakonam) -
From Thirupanandal (on the regular chennai-kmu highway), you can take a detour to Aduthurai on the Chidambaram-Mayailaduthurai-Kumbakonam route, this road is good and you can enjoy a scenic ride thru paddy fields.

It will be a shortcut for folks who want to visit Govindapuram or Thiruvidaimaruthur, Kanjanoor and Suriyanar koil.

Thirukarugavoor is best reached thru Kumbakonam Bypass onto swamimalai, papanasam. At Papanasam town, cross the railway gate and go for few kms, cross the "Vattaru" bridge and take a left for the temple. In case you miss that, go further a km and you will find a small "kappi" road leading directly to the temple.

Cheers !

Last edited by polopm : 30th August 2012 at 18:02. Reason: Added tkvoor details
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 01:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

I drove to Kumbakonam from Chennai 2 weeks back.

I took the route, Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Jayamkondam-Tirunallar-Kumbakonam. The bridge after T.Palur is indeed completed and open. The roads are in pristine condition till you cross this new bridge. Past this bridge, the roads becomes narrow and the condition is very average but manageable.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 08:46   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
The bridge at Anakarai is well moderated by local police. I am getting unconfirmed info that the route past Jayamkondam (bridge on Cauvery) to Neerathanallur is now open. Some one has to venture to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I drove to Kumbakonam from Chennai 2 weeks back.
I took the route, Chennai-Ulundurpet-Vridachalam-Jayamkondam-Tirunallar-Kumbakonam. The bridge after T.Palur is indeed completed and open. The roads are in pristine condition till you cross this new bridge. Past this bridge, the roads becomes narrow and the condition is very average but manageable.
So we have both bridges up? Use the one via Palur, if one is heading to Kumbakonam.
Where as, the Anakarai helps, if one is heading to Mayavaram/Chidambaram etc. Because via Anaikarai, one can bypass Kumbakonam (@polopm mentioned)

And both the routes are doable right?
Old 31st August 2012, 13:36   #132
BHPian

Quote:
So we have both bridges up? Use the one via Palur, if one is heading to Kumbakonam.
Where as, the Anakarai helps, if one is heading to Mayavaram/Chidambaram etc. Because via Anaikarai, one can bypass Kumbakonam (@polopm mentioned)

And both the routes are doable right?
Both of them are doable ( as I understand from the post from Rameshnanda).
and they will join at the Kumbakonam - Tanjore byepass.
Makes life easier to skip KMU town and proceed towards other destinations.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:31   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Completed the long awaiting Thirukadaiyur trip today. I'd to take the ECR :( as there was an accident near Mamandur which created a huge pile up in the GST road. I reached Mamandur around 0530 and had to wait till 0620 to get back to Chengelpet (so that I can take the ECR).
hdnivara, I'am planning for thirukadaiyur tomm. The route i'am considering is Chennai-Thindivanam-Pondy-cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthirai-Thirukadaiyur.

I've been in this route till pondy,but really apprehensive about the Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai-Thirukadaiyur stretch.

Would be of great help if you can share the below details with respect to Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai-Thirukadaiyur stretch.

1) How good is road in each of the stretch?
2) How many lanes in each stretch and do they have proper divider in place?
3) Traffic in these stretches.
4) I'll be driving my jazz , Since you've mentioned that its single lane after sirkazhi till Thirukadaiyur and you've to get down from road quite often,i'am worried about the underbelly getting scrapped. is it that bad or can it be managed?

Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 15:51   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-e View Post
hdnivara, I'am planning for thirukadaiyur tomm. The route i'am considering is Chennai-Thindivanam-Pondy-cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthirai-Thirukadaiyur.

I've been in this route till pondy,but really apprehensive about the Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai-Thirukadaiyur stretch.

Would be of great help if you can share the below details with respect to Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Mayiladuthurai-Thirukadaiyur stretch.

1) How good is road in each of the stretch?
2) How many lanes in each stretch and do they have proper divider in place?
3) Traffic in these stretches.
4) I'll be driving my jazz , Since you've mentioned that its single lane after sirkazhi till Thirukadaiyur and you've to get down from road quite often,i'am worried about the underbelly getting scrapped. is it that bad or can it be managed?

Thanks
Pondy-Cuddalore: Road is good, but, heavy local traffic.
Cudalore-Chidambaram: Cuddalore OT stretch is in pretty bad state. You can avoid Chidambaram town as there is a bypass.
Chidambaram-Sirkazhi: Decent road and again there you can skip Sirkazhi town by taking the bypass.
Sirkazhi-Thirukdaiyur: Good road till some 20KMs before T'yur (forgot the village name), after that it's single lane. Full of villages and local traffic. A little scenic, too
It's manageable, though.

None of the above said roads have dividers except Chidambaram & Sirkazhi bypasses.
hdnivara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 12:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
//
Quote:
//
I completed the Trip and a Big Thank you to Venki.Bala and Ampere, without whose inputs, i would have really suffered

From chennai took the GST Road Tambaram - Chengalpet - Ulundurpet. Lookout for 4 toll plazas (Rupees 25, 25, 62 and 40) at each of the toll posts. After the 4th toll plaza (the one where you would pay 40/-) keep continuing straight and you would pass Hotel Arya Bhavan on your left. Just after that hotel, there is a "Left" turn, a tarred road. Take that left and its a straight road to Jayankondam and Kumbakonam. This left is not so good and my santro bumped a lot in this road. This is hardly a 4 kms stretch, after which it is a state highway in decent condition.

It took me 5/5.5 hours to reach kumbakonam with a tea break at the 4th toll plaza for about 20 mins. I drove at speeds of 80kmph and very rarely touched 100kmph on straight stretches. Mentioning speed to just give fellow bhpians an idea of the speed to time ratio.

Update on Tirukarugavur:
The Kumbakonam by-pass to PApanasam suits very well and reached Tirukkaruavur temple in around 45 mins from the bypass. I could drive at 60 kmph at the MAX. I averaged 30 kmph approx. The Bridge IS Complete and we can park the car at the temple gate directly.

Autos are available from Papanasam Station to the temple at Rs 150/- for the 6 km distance(one way) It is 200/- for 4 passengers with one seated next to the driver. (Way too expensive. AC cabs costs much lesser).

Last edited by scopriobharath : 1st September 2012 at 12:11.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks