Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 12:22   #166
BHPian

re: Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wow! Amazing SH there! That would have been a brilliant drive between the two towns. TN sure does not disappoint in terms of roads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
wow. excellent snap. thanks polopm. what were the travel times? were you able to save some in the regular neyveli route when compared with the jayamkondam route?
Yes, the road is good. Actually there isn't much in terms of time saving as you can't blitz this road due to occasional presence of 4 legged and sometimes the 2 legged version driving the pulsar or Splendor in the middle of the road

What you get is a very smooth road with zero potholes.
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:07   #167
BHPian

Can some team-folks propose good hotels at Kumbakonam. One of my colleagues is making a trip this week. (I have always stayed at Relatives' places).
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:35   #168
Senior - BHPian

RAYA's is good at Kumbakonam. I believe they have now opened a new wing and the rooms are new. Had been there 2 years back, and came back with a good experience. Didnt have food at all there, but the stay in their deluxe A/C room was pleasant.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 15:41   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Can some team-folks propose good hotels at Kumbakonam. One of my colleagues is making a trip this week. (I have always stayed at Relatives' places).
If price is not an issue. I would suggest Paradise Resort. It is expensive. It is located in swamimalai darasuram road but excellent resort in terms of facilities. My dad is suggesting Venkataramana Lodge for budget hotel.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 16:00   #170
BHPian

I went to my cousins house at peralam last saturday. Tried 2 routes and here is the
Route Update.

Onward: Chennai - Vikravandi - Panruti - Vadalur - Sethiarthope - Bhvanagiri - Chidambaram - Mayiladuthurai - Peralam.

Vikravandi - Panruti: Road condition is superb. Newly laid stretch.
Panruti - Vadalur: Very bad. surface has detoriated.
Vadalur - Neyveli - Sethiarthope: Good at some places and extremely bad at some.
Sethiarthope - Bhvanagiri - Chidambaram: Very good. took chidambaram bypass which is great.
Chidamabaram - Sirkazhi bypass - Mayiladuthurai: Chidambaram till sirkazhi by pass is decent. But very bad after that till mayiladuthurai.
Mayiladuthurai - peralam( Halt) - Tiruvarur - Tiruthuraipoondi: Awesome newly laid road. Travelled to my native near thiruthuraipoondi.

Overall Journey time: Ashoknagar 12.15 pm - peralam 6.30 pm.

Also had a chance to travel to Nagapattinam from peralam.

Peralam - Ambagarathur - Thirunallar - Karaikal ( SH): Very bad till Ambagarathur after that its a beauty.

Karaikal - Nagapattinam: Excellent.

Return journey: Peralam - Mayiladuthurai - Chidambaram - Pondy - Tindivanam - Chennai.

Except the Mayiladuthurai - Sirkazhi stretch. Route is in excellent condition. Was particularly impressed with Chidambaram - Cuddalore section, superb.
Old 30th May 2013, 17:58   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vikravandi - Panruti: Road condition is superb. Newly laid stretch.
Panruti - Vadalur: Very bad. surface has detoriated.
Vadalur - Neyveli - Sethiarthope: Good at some places and extremely bad at some.
Any signs of work south of Panruti? I am hoping this straight to Kumbakonam gets done!

Quote:
Sethiarthope - Bhvanagiri - Chidambaram: Very good. took chidambaram bypass which is great.
Chidamabaram - Sirkazhi bypass - Mayiladuthurai: Chidambaram till sirkazhi by pass is decent. But very bad after that till mayiladuthurai.
Mayiladuthurai - peralam( Halt) - Tiruvarur - Tiruthuraipoondi: Awesome newly laid road. Travelled to my native near thiruthuraipoondi.
Does it have high traffic? I suspect, roads are not repaired many a times. But they run into pretty high passenger traffic, thanks to temples.

Quote:
Except the Mayiladuthurai - Sirkazhi stretch. Route is in excellent condition. Was particularly impressed with Chidambaram - Cuddalore section, superb.
Again is ECR south of Pondi traffic prone? Roads were always good except for towns. But I always kept hearing that traffic is pretty bad south of Pondi. Did you witness the same?
Old 30th May 2013, 18:13   #172
BHPian

Ampere sir,

1: No signs of work after Panruti. I saw many trucks carrying gravel stones but not for any road works in this stretch.

2: Chidambaram to Mayiladuthurai: Heavy traffic, yes. But till sirkazhi it is ok. but beyond that till mayavaram is very bad.

3: while going Chidambaram till Mayiladuthurai took about an hour and 15 mins. i was covering this stretch at around 4.30 Pm to 5.45. The stretch also has lots of turns and twists.

In the return

Peralam: 12.30 - Chidambarambypass: 1.50 pm - Cuddalore- 2.45 PM - Pondy 3.30 PM. Traffic was not bad this could significantly change during mornings and evenings. I drive very sedately never crossed 80 at any point of time.

Mayavaram - tiruvarur - thiruthuraipoondi : has light traffic at any point of time.
venki.bala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 18:22   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Ampere sir,

1: No signs of work after Panruti. I saw many trucks carrying gravel stones but not for any road works in this stretch.

2: Chidambaram to Mayiladuthurai: Heavy traffic, yes. But till sirkazhi it is ok. but beyond that till mayavaram is very bad.

3: while going Chidambaram till Mayiladuthurai took about an hour and 15 mins. i was covering this stretch at around 4.30 Pm to 5.45. The stretch also has lots of turns and twists.

In the return

Peralam: 12.30 - Chidambarambypass: 1.50 pm - Cuddalore- 2.45 PM - Pondy 3.30 PM. Traffic was not bad this could significantly change during mornings and evenings. I drive very sedately never crossed 80 at any point of time.

Mayavaram - tiruvarur - thiruthuraipoondi : has light traffic at any point of time.
I guess the "original" routes don't feature in any of the Highways department files for relay/renovation. We don't need double roads , just good roads with the canopy which is already there. A leisurely drive will do.

I still remember the good old canopy which existed in the Kalpakkam-Pondy route near Marakkanam before the ECR was built. ECR is great, but I prefer the old one for its rustic charm...
polopm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:42   #174
BHPian

Went to our family temple near Nagapattinam/Thiruvarur and few other temples this weekend. We stayed at Kumbakonam.

This is the route that we took for both onward and return journey.

Chennai (Ramapuram)-Tindivanam-Pondy-Cuddalore-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Mayiluduthurai-Kumbakonam

Excellent road from Chennai to Sirkazhi. But the route from Sirkazhi to Kumbakonam was pathetic. Due to the recent rains, the roads have developed huge pot holes.

Kumbakonam-Saakotai-Thiruvarur - Excellent road

Kumbakonam - Kollumanangudi - Thirumaichur (Goddess Lalitha temple) - Kuthanoor (Saraswati temple) - Excellent road except for few potholes in the last 5 kms.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 23:09   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning for a trip to Kumbakonam next week end. Would like to hear about the best route option and condition of roads after this rain.
Old 13th October 2013, 07:12   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Planning for a trip to Kumbakonam next week end. Would like to hear about the best route option and condition of roads after this rain.
Chennai-Tindivanam-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Anaikarai-Kumbakonam.

To confirm : The Status of the bridge at Anaikarai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 14:03   #177
BHPian

What is the fastest route to vaitheeswaran kovil from chennai? Is it via tindivanam Pondicherry cuddalore chidambaram sirkazhi? Would like to avoid bad stretches as am taking my son for his tonsure, and want the drive to be smooth. Please suggest.
Old 24th November 2013, 15:27   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
What is the fastest route to vaitheeswaran kovil from chennai? Is it via tindivanam Pondicherry cuddalore chidambaram sirkazhi? Would like to avoid bad stretches as am taking my son for his tonsure, and want the drive to be smooth. Please suggest.
Yes, that would be fastest & roads are good.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 16:23   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, that would be fastest & roads are good.
I think a better route might be to drive past Ulundurpet on 4-lane. And take the road via Virudhachalam/Sethiyarthope/Chidambaram.

Roads south of Pondicherry should be quite crowded. The more avoided the better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 17:32   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think a better route might be to drive past Ulundurpet on 4-lane. And take the road via Virudhachalam/Sethiyarthope/Chidambaram. Roads south of Pondicherry should be quite crowded. The more avoided the better.
Thank you. I am planning to do this on a Monday morning. Leave chennai by around 5 AM. I read that pondy cuddalore is good. Will 4.5 hours be enough? And with a break 5 hrs perhaps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks