Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 06:25   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Are there any good restaurants on Kanakapura road?
There are a few places before Kanakpura when you are traveling from Bangalore. Route 31 is one place ~15km before Kanakpura. One more dhabha kind of place few km ahead and a place (i think called Sargam) just before Kanakpura Town. Nothing worthwhile post that.

Edit: Definition of good is a reasonably clean looking place with ok food.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 13th October 2017 at 06:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 08:51   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Are there any good restaurants on Kanakapura road?
Found this halfway between Kanakpura & Harohalli. Did not stop but there was quiet a bit of crowd judging by the cars that had stopped.
https://goo.gl/maps/UiLkMXyLerT2
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 15:29   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Route 31 is one place ~15km before Kanakpura.
Drove through this morning. Root 31 though looks decent and a nice stopeover, no breakfast options. Only fried rice, noodles and stuffs like that and no much lighter options. We stopped by and then came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Found this halfway between Kanakpura & Harohalli.
https://goo.gl/maps/UiLkMXyLerT2
Yes, found this is just after Root 31. Got in here for breakfast and a good and probably the only option on this route for a decent breakfast. Nice ambience and menu.

Driving between Bangalore and Mysore-img_20171014_121317315.jpg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 14th October 2017 at 15:31.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 22:14   #769
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Mysore to Bangalore on NH275. All the bad sections between Srirangapatna and Mandya have fresh tarmac! Its not just a patch job but both lanes on both sides have got a layer of fresh tar.

Mandya to Maddur has patch work and work was in progress in patching.

There was a very very bad stretch, here . The bad patch starts before the bridge have to take this at crawling speeds. . Here's a video of the same
Another bad stretch was in front of kamat lokaruchi.

Traffic wasn't that bad though, reached Bangalore in under 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
There was a very very bad stretch, from this point just when the bridge ends You have to take this at crawling speeds.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st October 2017 at 12:31.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 14:58   #770
BHPian

I did the dreaded Mysore - Bangalore trip yesterday evening, took the Kanakapura route instead of the Mandya, Maddur route. In the end it was a great decision even though I don't prefer to drive during dusk via Kanakapura.
Encountered couple of triple riding imbeciles near Malavalli but overall it was a pleasant journey.Left Mysore at 6 PM and reached our house in Jayanagar by 9:25 PM without any breaks.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:22   #771
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Recent Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore trip update:
Traveled at short notice and totally unplanned. Took NH 275/erstwhile SH 17 both ways.
Onward:Started at 2pm, reached Mysore ring road/Columbia Asia junction around 5:30pm with a 20 minute break at Thimmadas, Maddur for coffee. Took the route via the Bangalore city CBD, but traffic wasn't bad. Nearing Ramanagara, there was a 10 minute jam due to traffic being diverted to the oncoming side due to asphalting work. As usual, the impatient vehicles took to off-roading on the muddy shoulder to overtake other vehicles. There was also widening work in progress (dug up portions for a new lane) between Ramangara and Channapatna.

Return:Started at 4am from Mysore to beat the Bangalore city traffic. Rain made progress very slow for the first 30Km or so, then settled down to a drizzle almost all the way till Bidadi. With just one 10 minute break for tea at a roadside stall, managed to reach Bangalore by 7am. Kengeri-BHEL/Chord Road junction is a mess due to metro construction and has a maze of narrow lanes, easy to get stuck behind buses/trucks and impatient cabbies keep tailing and honking (can't understand how they expect someone following a bigger vehicle in a narrow lane with no scope for overtaking to let them pass). Took this route only because it was early morning, otherwise better to avoid and take NICE road instead.

Last edited by NPV : 17th November 2017 at 09:25.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 11:30   #772
BHPian

I avoid the Bangalore - Mysore highway after an incident between Maddur and Mandya. A localite chased my car and kept forcing me to stop, claiming that I had hit him. With family in tow, I had no intention of stopping and kept driving on. Halted in a well-lit parking lot of a restaurant and I see a few more bikes with triple riding zoom past. All a part of the gang no doubt. This happened a few months back.
My doubts about their motives were confirmed when my uncle along with his friends in three different cars had gone to Mysore. They experienced a similar incident in exactly the same stretch.
The goons stopped a car and started asking money for apparently hitting a bike. When the other two cars pulled up and people got down, they got on their bikes and fled.
Both incidents happened at the same time. Somewhere between 7-8pm. And no, the heavy traffic doesn't seem to bother them.
abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 06:12   #773
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Mysore today Morning. Left at 4am which is my usual start time.
The number of vehicles were quite high for this time of the day.
Just a couple of years ago, I would have hardly encounter 20-30 vehicles between Bangalore and Mysore for a 4am start, but now it has increased a lot.
There goes my window of peaceful driving.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 11:01   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Drove to Mysore today Morning. Left at 4am which is my usual start time
Nowdays, if you cross NICE road Mysore road junction after ~ 4.30 am you will encounter considerable traffic till Ramanagar at least.
Old 21st November 2017, 17:49   #775
Senior - BHPian

Does it makes sense to use the usual Mysore highway via Maddur post 12 pm on Friday ?

I'm headed to Coorg and not sure how the traffic situation will be around that time or if I need to use the Kanakapura route
Old 21st November 2017, 18:46   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Does it makes sense to use the usual Mysore highway via Maddur post 12 pm on Friday ?
Post afternoon time on weekday should be relatively free. You will only encounter lot of 2 wheeler traffic when you are nearing the Maddur-Mandya stretch. Also since you may hit these towns at the time when the schools would close, you may find children on the streets in the town and lot of school bus traffic. Otherwise it should be easily doable without having to take the detour via Kanakapura. If you are headed to Coorg and dont have to make it to Mysore for any work or to meet someone, then you can also chose the Bangalore- Chennarayapatna-Holenarsipura-KRNagara- Hunsur-Coorg route. Though you may pay some tolls and also it is slightly longer route, it has very less traffic and the drive will be calmer for both driver and passenger. If i am headed to Coorg, I dont go via Mysore at all once I experienced this route. Only issue on this route is the lack of suitable places for restroom breaks and food after you cross Chennarayapatna.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 19:27   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Bangalore- Chennarayapatna-Holenarsipura-KRNagara- Hunsur-Coorg route.

If i am headed to Coorg, I dont go via Mysore at all once I experienced this route. .
+1
There are few windey bits after CRpatna that are really sweet.
A note though, there are road works going on between Nelamangla and Swati Delicacy on the onward direction. The top layer is being removed and redone. One can maintain pace though as there are no ditches or potholes as such. The ride will be a bit noisier.
Return direction roadworks had been completed and the lines were yet to be painted. The road was sublime! I could hear my watch tick. Rolls experience in the A-Star
I did a Blore-Swati Delicacy run two weeks back so no info of road condition beyond that stretch.
A word of caution : If you are staying in one of the estate homestays it is best to reach before dark. It is difficult to find places in the dark unless they are in populated sections.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 21st November 2017 at 19:33.
rajathv8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 19:48   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Post afternoon time on weekday should be relatively free. You will only encounter lot of 2 wheeler traffic when you are nearing the Maddur-Mandya stretch. Also since you may hit these towns at the time when the schools would close, you may find children on the streets in the town and lot of school bus traffic. Otherwise it should be easily doable without having to take the detour via Kanakapura. If you are headed to Coorg and dont have to make it to Mysore for any work or to meet someone, then you can also chose the Bangalore- Chennarayapatna-Holenarsipura-KRNagara- Hunsur-Coorg route. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
+1

A word of caution : If you are staying in one of the estate homestays it is best to reach before dark. It is difficult to find places in the dark unless they are in populated sections.
I'll probably do this route on the return. Don't want to take the risk of driving on unknown roads in the dark.
I am headed to Thittimathi which is not too far from Hunsur.
Old 21st November 2017, 19:53   #779
BHPian

Yes that makes sense. Some of the roads between CR patna and Kushal Nagar are through fields and are desolate even during daytime.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 19:57   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am headed to Thittimathi which is not too far from Hunsur.
Cool, you should reach there well before dark and if you are driving till the end of Thittimathi forest area then the forest roads are open even during the late evenings and night as well on this route and has no restriction like the Bandipur forest route. So even if you're slightly delayed on the Blr-Mys road, you can reach your destination.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks