Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 17:42   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving between Bangalore and Mysore

Took the Kanakapura road to Malavalli, Kollegal and Chamarajnagar, and then onwards to Gundlupet last Friday.

Road surface to Chamrajanagar is very good, most of it almost new dark tar! Only a couple of villages enroute have narrow width for passing through - but hey if you're going to drive on the hills of Ooty or other locations, you have to negotiate much narrower and sloped roads! I found it a non-issue.

From Chamarajanagar to Gundlupet, there was a bit of rough surfaces, a few shallow pot holes here and there, but I didn't need to reduce speed in my drive. Since the roads are undivided, one anyways cannot do high triple digit speeds like on GQ!

Traffic in the morning (7:30AM-11AM) was sparse, and much better than Mysore-Gundlupet, so driving is mostly a pleasure. I recommend this route.
Old 29th September 2012, 18:36   #137
Senior - BHPian

Heard from friend that SH-17 might be blocked tomorrow due to Cauvery protests. Not how how true it is, but plan accordingly.
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:58   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updates on bangalore mysore route? I am planning my return from calicut through mysore - mandya route if things fine. Else will have to take kollegal - kanakpura route from gundelpet. Please update status on both these roads. Will be reaching mysore around 7pm today
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:45   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Any updates on bangalore mysore route? I am planning my return from calicut through mysore - mandya route if things fine. Else will have to take kollegal - kanakpura route from gundelpet. Please update status on both these roads. Will be reaching mysore around 7pm today
I read in today's Kannada newspapers that the agitators had blocked the Mysore-Bangalore highway thru the day. Didn't read anything specific about the Malavalli route, though read that there were protests in Chamarajanagar and Malavalli too. Driving via Kollegal-Mallavalli is a better bet.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:52   #140
Senior - BHPian

Just saw on a Kannada news channel. Traffic between Malavalli-Kanakapura has been disrupted because of protests.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:01   #141
BHPian

there is one more road, it is a 2 lane sh, absolutely no traffic, ben using this to reach mysore since last 2 months. it is longer by 30kms, but definitely faster.
Mysore-pandavpura-melukote cross- Nagamangala- ediyur- kunigal- bangalore, the last 60kms is express way
s.prashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:40   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Did Calicut - Mysore - Bangalore trip yesterday afternoon. Thanks to prasad14 and addyhemmige, had checked this thread on way.
Since Kollegal route was mentioned as blocked took SH-17- Mandya route itself. We crossed Mysore around 8:30 PM. Traffic was sparse and no buses and there was no blockages at Mandya by time we reached. Guess road was cleared around 5 PM or so since I saw few buses from Bangalore in opposite direction while crossing Nanjagaud.

@s.prashanth : Yes, I had done that route once in bike, on way back from Coorg, had loved that road. Was thinking of taking that if SH-17 was found blocked.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:19   #143
BHPian

Hi,

Planning to travel to Calicut on Sat morning.

Will start from Bangalore by 4:00am. Will this early start help in avoiding the troubles in the 4 lane road? I think they have called for a "bandh" on saturday. But by 7 we should reach gundlupet.

Cheers

Vinod
Old 4th October 2012, 20:22   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Hi,

Will start from Bangalore by 4:00am. Will this early start help in avoiding the troubles in the 4 lane road?
I think they have called for a "bandh" on saturday. But by 7 we should reach gundlupet.

Cheers

Vinod
The earlier the better. If you start by 4 and take Kanakpura road its about 200km to Gundlupet. You can do 200km in 3 hours on a 4 lane.
But not sure on 2-lanes. May be add another 30 minutes to an hour. (Add traffic truck from Bangalore-Kanakpura too)
Old 4th October 2012, 21:28   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Will start from Bangalore by 4:00am. Will this early start help in avoiding the troubles in the 4 lane road? I think they have called for a "bandh" on saturday. But by 7 we should reach gundlupet.

Cheers

Vinod
Dont risk it, but since you are driving all the way to Calicut ensure that you cross Mandya as early as possible. Maybe even before 7:00am, last weekend I was at the receiving end with a road block at channapatna as early as 8:00am.
Old 5th October 2012, 00:01   #146
BHPian

Ampere and RJ

I am planning to start at 4:00 am and will take the 4 lane road via Mandya. We should cross Mandya in an hour (I stay near Nice road). That should be fine right?

Cheers
Old 5th October 2012, 00:14   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere and RJ

I am planning to start at 4:00 am and will take the 4 lane road via Mandya. We should cross Mandya in an hour (I stay near Nice road). That should be fine right?

Cheers
I would say bypass that problem and go through Kanakpura-Chamarajanagar,
That should a bit easier.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:17   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ampere and RJ

Cheers
Go for it,at that hour Mandya is doable in like 90 minutes flat with sedate driving.
Old 28th October 2012, 10:30   #149
BHPian

On Duessehra weekend, coming back from Wayanad, I decided to give a try to Mysore - Bennur - Malavalli - Kanakapura (NH 209) - Bangalore route instead of usual Mandaya route.

There are hardly any direction boards on the road. At Malavalli, I checked with locals who guided me to go in a particular direction which ultimately took me to Maddur itself (Maddur is on Mysore - Bangalore highway). I could not go to Kanakapura and reach Bangalore.

Again, the condition of this road till Malavalli in my personal opinion is not good that it can be recommended. Roads are strictly 2 landed in terms of width. There are one or two streches of around 3-4 kms where there is hardly any asphalt on the surface.

Even if there are delays, Mysore road itself is better because you can drive consistently around 60 kmph in that route.

Last edited by B103 : 28th October 2012 at 10:37.
Old 28th October 2012, 10:59   #150
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
On Duessehra weekend, coming back from Wayanad, I decided to give a try to Mysore - Bennur - Malavalli - Kanakapura (NH 209) - Bangalore route instead of usual Mandaya route.

There are hardly any direction boards on the road. At Malavalli, I checked with locals who guided me to go in a particular direction which ultimately took me to Maddur itself (Maddur is on Mysore - Bangalore highway). I could not go to Kanakapura and reach Bangalore.
If you took the Bannur-Malavalli Road, it will hit the Maddur-Malavall road and then merge onto Kanakpura-Chamarajnagar NH209 so at Malavalli you should have made a right turn and then in about less than a Kilometre you should turn left to go towards Kanakpura (Straight goes towards Chamarajanagar).
You must have turned left at Malavalli junction which led you back to Maddur!
Also, the condition of Maddur-Malavalli has been average (from very bad to good in stretches, etc) for sometime now and discussed often in the forum.
Alternatively, when coming from Wayanad, as soon as you get to Gundlupet make a right turn (if you see Coffee Day you've missed this turn) and at Chamarajanagar follow the signboards to Kanakpura and you will reach Malavalli junction where you turn right towards Kanakpura.

Last edited by NPV : 28th October 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Added Gundlupet directions
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks