Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2006, 19:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

mclaren, you are right. It was 94 and not 95 as I said. I took a better look at figures and it appears that Maruti has tweaked the engine.

Old bhp : 94 @ 6000 rpm
New bhp : 91 @ 5500 rpm (Changed top rpm?)
Old Torque : 132 NM
New Torque : 130.5 NM. (Small change).
Old Compression: 9.2
New Compression: 9.0

Top speed (company claimed) remains the same at 175 kmph. Though it has marginally dropped figures, I am happy that it is greener car.

Last edited by RX135 : 17th February 2006 at 19:48.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
New Baleno has reduced power from 95->91 BHP, thanks to BS-III. How does it affect its performance?
Except the test drive car, I haven't really driven any BS-II Baleno. Wait, I did drive iceman's Baleno, but that can't be considered here. I am happy with the performance, in fact I am not really thinking about any more performance mods like automech, etc.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I am happy with the performance, in fact I am not really thinking about any more performance mods like automech, etc.
I guess, that is what matters most at the end of the day.
Old 17th February 2006, 19:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you want performance , good handling , good A.S.S , decently priced spare ---> Baleno

if you want Looks , better handling ----> lancer.

i am in a similar situation as you.i already own a baleno but may get another car.my heart tells me to go for the lancer but my minds says Baleno.so think of what you really want and then go for it.

rev
Old 17th February 2006, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Looks are subjective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
Go for the lancer it has that looks and dont go for baleno because it is the worst looking car in the country.
Buddy, that is too bold a statement. More so when discussing looks, which can be subjective. Do agree that the Baleno's back view is drab and maybe even boring. But stare it in the face and you get a mean, python-like look back. Have a look at the side profile and the curves are much better than other cars (you could try checking out how better the side view is when compared to an Accent, for example, which is considered a better looking car than the Baleno).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vbpicg...?do=view&g=212
Old 17th February 2006, 20:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

lancer sfx is not available as a company product anymore.

Now only one model is available i.e. lancer lx. With proper modifications nothin looks as killer as a lancer. power is adequate for both city and highways. More spacious than the baleno

baleno is more powerful but I really dont see a 4bhp difference making a huge impact. And as some like the looks let count it subjective. Interiors are a bit better looking than the baleno.

and while many have the notion that FE is better on baleno its not. Ask the lancer owners and baleno owners to verify.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th February 2006 at 20:59.
Old 17th February 2006, 21:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

For cost of spares and performance, Baleno. For everything else, Lancer. It's more classy than the Baleno and would be my choice.
Old 17th February 2006, 21:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
For cost of spares and performance, Baleno. For everything else, Lancer. It's more classy than the Baleno and would be my choice.

Sorry to say but I dunno why people have this notion that HM spares are expensive.

They are priced more than those of baleno but are long lasting too.

and with the reduction in power and similar torque I dont see baleno gaining any new grounds.
Old 17th February 2006, 23:27   #24
BHPian

Go for the lancer , you already have a baleno. try modding the engine to be as fast as a baleno then you have a good looking car which runs like a Baleno.
(Baleno may not look so bad as compared to other cars but it definately doesn't look as good as a lancer with a EVO 5 or 6 type body kit)
Old 18th February 2006, 00:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
Go for the lancer , you already have a baleno. try modding the engine to be as fast as a baleno then you have a good looking car which runs like a Baleno.
(Baleno may not look so bad as compared to other cars but it definately doesn't look as good as a lancer with a EVO 5 or 6 type body kit)

The difference between baleno and lancer's power figures is 4bhp. Torque is higher for lancer by 5nm.How much difference will that make?

lancer is 87bhp and baleno is 91bhp.
torque for lancer is higher at 135nm while baleno is 130nm
Old 18th February 2006, 16:58   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
i think thats quite a bold statement knowing that there are a lot of baleno fans here out on the forum .. But looks are subjective , to me the baleno looks good specially the side profile but u might differ on the same .. However to be on the safer side u can put it in a much better/sedate way, bcoz i can see a lot of guys breathing down fumes now .. Given a choice between the baleno and the lancer i would anyday get myself a baleno with my eyes closed .. Yes , but ofcourse i want performance .. Had the lancer a better engine then it would have been lancer anyday .. To me performance comes 1st and then the looks ..

PS : Sunith cant u convince ur dad to buy a new car and u pick up the baleno ???

i dont really mind the looks of a baleno .... but the point is the lancer sfx esp the yellow one looks hot.
and correct me if i am wrong but doesnt the lancer sfx pump out 120 bhp?

also yeah i could try asking my dad to take a new car and pick up the baleno for myself instead. But the thing is i was planning to buy something myself and i doubt if i can buy him a new car big enough to replace a baleno.
that s why i was thinking of going for a used car.
Old 18th February 2006, 17:05   #27
BHPian

btw just to clear this up i am not talking about a lancer 1.5
i am referring to the lancer 1.8. and that too a used one.
another thing is mine is a 94bhp baleno
Old 18th February 2006, 18:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

1.8 Lancer comes only with the auto Invecs box. Bloody slow thing, and also guzzles fuel. If you want to be stuck driving an auto, then it's ok, otherwise...
Old 18th February 2006, 19:27   #29
BHPian

Take the Baleno I just bought a used one for my son and pretty good performance.Mileage is also nearly 11 when driven hard.You also get maruti ASS which in my opinion is much better than lancer's(HM)
Old 18th February 2006, 21:10   #30
BHPian

ok now whats ASS?
ok i could probably buy a used lancer
hand it over to my dad
or for that matter a used honda City
and take the baleno.
let me see ....
by the way ... really the lancer 1.8 comes with the auto ???
isnt there like an option for manual.
cant we get it changed?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks