Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 22:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

If given a choice, i will go with Nissan Sunny or Fiat Linea. If "Driving pleasure" is not a consideration, it is Nissan Sunny, other wise Fiat Linea, Whether with or with out Tata, Linea is going to be here.
Old 12th June 2012, 13:25   #17
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

I was in the same boat 3 months back and finally decided on Vento TDI Higline. I love to drive and hence, needed a drivers car which could also suffice my daily needs. So cars like Manza, Sunny were not even considered.

SX4- Old and outdated. Did not even TD it.

Linea- Not considered due to lack of power. No TD for this either.

Vento- In the 10-11L segment this car gives the perfect mix of driving pleasure with comfort and all necessary features.

Skoda- Better driving dynamics than Vento but the interior design was a let down for me. Outdated black digital display with green background. Plus lack of few features like USB, Steering mounted controls, reverse parking sensors.

Verna- Fully loaded but as mentioned previously by other, poor driving dynamics. Though, on paper it has the maximum power but somehow, I have this feeling with Hyundai's that this power does not translate into reality on road.

Overall, Vento came out to be the obvious choice with all features coupled with great cabin feel and good driving dynamics, though the engine is noisy, but I can live with it as I am going to be inside the cabin

In my opinion, nothing beats the Vento TDI in this price range. It has just the right mix of all ingredients resulting in a perfect product. Good high speed dynamics, a little soft suspension (as compared to Rapid) for that comfortable city drive, punchy 250nm torque, high quality interiors and a solid build quality.

(Wrote about the cars I TDed in this segment only. Otherwise, I had TDed Cedia Sports, Laura and Yeti also.)

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arununo View Post
Arun
Me too from Raipur/Bilaspur. PM me your details and we shall connect sometime. I have a trip planned to Raipur/Bilaspur in July. May be we can plan and catch up.

Regards,
Aniket

Last edited by aniket.tiwari27 : 12th June 2012 at 13:36. Reason: Typo correction and added quote.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Linea MJD Emotion Vs Skoda Rapid TDI Elegance

Quote:
Discussion: Heart says Fiat, Mind says Skoda. What do you have to say?
Arun, How is Skoda dealership in Raipur. I do not recall hearing good stories of them when i drove to RPR last December and we went looking for a car for one of my relatives.

Fiat is another, may not be very peaceful ownership story. Have you progressed any further in your hunt for wheels.

I am driving down up to Raipur sometime end of June, will be there around 24/25 June.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:45   #19
BHPian

I thank you all for your precious time spent on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Confused on what Diesel car to buy for ~10 lakh Rupees with so many choices around? Please use this thread for discussion on Diesel cars from this segment.
Dear Anshuman, Thanks for starting a whole new thread. Happy to know i have triggered something here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Arun,How can a FIAT guy jump ship and that too for Skoda??
Dear Lloyd, I am not jumping yet. Just weighing options. And I am not selling that Uno too. Skoda Rapid is a splendid car indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Both linea and rapid are on par with each other, while one excels in one department, other excels in another.
I am holding linea above Rapid because I am most comfortable driving it.
If you remember GTO's review on the T-Jet

( GTO-"The Linea is clearly geared for long-armed short-legged Italians. Even after spending 3 days in the car, I just could not arrive at the perfect driving position. The ergonomics are a mixed bag. For instance, the power window controls are placed so far forward (remember...long-armed Italians!) I lose count of the number of times I opened the rear windows, when I actually wanted to roll down the fronts.")

I am perfectly fit for this car, for my arm span as almost as tall as my height. However, in the Rapid, I had to struggle to get a good position.

Where I live, I do not expect bumper to bumper traffic nor good roads to floor the accelerator. Hence, a Linea would do just well as a Rapid. A probable situation where I would probably need the Rapid, is when I have to rush to the hospital to attend to emergencies. But then I don't drive like Schumi.

It's been a big headache to decide between these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Another car to check out is the new Fiesta.
Parts availability-I spoke to a few friends who own linea's and they didnt mention the lack of spares. So, I guess, it must be good now. As for Skoda, I am yet to confirm

Will check the Fiesta as advised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
One car missed out here is the Logan
I am from Bangalore & Chennai. The car's image as a taxi put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
@.anshuman / @arununo - I will be glued to this thread.hoping to 'decide well'.
Glad you have the time to wait. Will help you make an informed decision

Good Luck Mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
The Fiat ticks all the boxes for you. Lower maintenance costs. Nice discounts and freebies on Fiat Good luck with your purchase.
Thanks! Lower maintenance is what attracts me. Skoda maintenance seems to be on the higher side. Haggling like a housewife with the Fiat dealer for discounts. Lets see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
"Driving pleasure" Fiat Linea, Whether with or with out Tata, Linea is going to be here.
You bet. I felt at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post

Linea- Not considered due to lack of power. No TD for this either.

Vento- In the 10-11L segment this car gives the perfect mix of driving pleasure with comfort and all necessary features.

Skoda- interior design was a let down for me.

nothing beats the Vento TDI in this price range

OT:

Me too from Raipur/Bilaspur.
OTR for Vento TDI Highline is 11+ . Goes out of my financial radar. Will check again.

The interiors of the Rapid did not impress at all

Will PM shortly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Arun, How is Skoda dealership in Raipur.
Fiat is another, may not be very peaceful ownership story. Have you progressed any further in your hunt for wheels.I am driving down up to Raipur sometime end of June, will be there around 24/25 June.
The test drive went without a hitch. I don't have friends with skoda's here, so I am really in the dark and there is a single dealer to deal with.

Will PM you.

Tail piece - THE T-JET!
The dealer got back as I was typing this. Its a Bossa Nova T jet Plus with all the discounts. What to do?
PLEASE HELP!

Arun
Old 12th June 2012, 20:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tail piece - THE T-JET!
The dealer got back as I was typing this. Its a Bossa Nova T jet Plus with all the discounts. What to do?
PLEASE HELP!
Hi Dear,
It is not surprising to see the mention of T-Jet on a thread dedicated exclusively to Diesel cars.
The price at which it is being offered is simply too irresistible. Considering your monthly usage (600kms/month) it can be considered without too much of botheration.
This is the best driver's car and is really fully loaded at this price point.
You will never regret your decision.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 21:12   #21
BHPian

Here comes the death knell.

Govt may slap Rs 1.7 lakh tax on small diesel vehicles - The Economic Times

"Rs 255,000 on medium and large diesel vehicles to check dieselization of economy due to wide gap between petrol and diesel prices"

Now the whole discussion has to go the drawing board if it is true. I should rather hurry up with my decision now. Will probably take the plunge tomorrow.
My wife is pitching for the T jet now since she loves the Bossa Nova colour.

Arun
Old 12th June 2012, 21:38   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Glad you have the time to wait. Will help you make an informed decision.
Good Luck Mate!
Thanks ! But.

Quote:
Govt may slap Rs 1.7 lakh tax on small diesel vehicles - The Economic Times
"Rs 255,000 on medium and large diesel vehicles to check dieselization of economy due to wide gap between petrol and diesel prices"

I should rather hurry up with my decision now.
Guess I do not have much time too. Have to rearrange/manage my finances. Need to hurry up.

Thanks Again ! (for keeping the group informed)
Old 12th June 2012, 22:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I should rather hurry up with my decision now. Will probably take the plunge tomorrow.
My wife is pitching for the T jet now since she loves the Bossa Nova colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Thanks ! But.
Guess I do not have much time too. Have to rearrange/manage my finances. Need to hurry up.
Am I missing something!!!
T-Jet is Petrol car!!!
Old 13th June 2012, 07:29   #24
BHPian

No one mentioned Optra yet.
Not surprising given the dated design and GM strategy but IMO its still one of the best VFM offerings in this segment. The cabin space and the engine spec is unmatched by the competition.
Old 13th June 2012, 07:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
T-Jet is Petrol car!!!
That's why its called "crime against logic". and its not 110%, its somewhere around 220%. Cant let go of such mouthwatering deals that come by once in a blue moon. It also makes sense. Savings of 3 lac rupees, can be used to buy petrol for 30k liters assuming a price of rs.100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Not surprising given the dated design and GM strategy but IMO its still one of the best VFM offerings in this segment. The cabin space and the engine spec is unmatched by the competition.
Its being produced on demand and the dealer was not keen on ordering one.
arununo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 08:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
T-Jet is Petrol car!!!
Quote:
mouthwatering deal - once in a blue moon. Savings of 3 lac rupees, can be used to buy petrol for 30k liters assuming a price of rs.100.
@carwatcher: Nope. You are good. The T-Jet is still a petrol car.
Remember this is a Diesel car thread.
However as @arununo mentioned the deal quotient sometimes tilts the decision in favor of Petrol. All the best @arununo !

For me though - I need a Diesel Car. & nothing else. Hence my hurry.
Hope the news dies down like the 80K proposed increase last time.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 08:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
petrol for 30k liters assuming a price of rs.100.
A mistake there. It should read 3K liters. I am leaning more towards the T jet now. If anything goes wrong with this one, I will get the Linea MJD, before Mr. Jaipal Reddy has his way.

Arun
Old 13th June 2012, 15:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Had called kropex today to enquire on the optra , and i was informed that they are no longer selling optra. It seems to have been discontinued since last month. Can someone confirm this news. Also checked if there was a replacement due for this price range and the guy told me there is no such plans in near future.
Old 13th June 2012, 18:25   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Its being produced on demand and the dealer was not keen on ordering one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Had called kropex today to enquire on the optra , and i was informed that they are no longer selling optra. It seems to have been discontinued since last month. Can someone confirm this news. Also checked if there was a replacement due for this price range and the guy told me there is no such plans in near future.

Thats a surprise. Thanks for sharing. Looks like GM has quietly discontinued the beast.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:04   #30
BHPian

Hi All,

After lot of forum pages & lots of discussion reading (Total of 3 months) yesterday I started a test drive day & was almost sold to one car & was totally confused. Need your help urgently as the matter is almost bottleneck.

I own an accent (Petrol) GVS 2002 & it is too well maintained so family is at most comfortable when I am driving it. They have experience of Manza of my cousin but they got down at end saying thanks it ended.
Etios, father refused to continue after few kilometers of another cousin.
Rapid test drive was liked to an extent.
LINEA was not on the list because my brother in law's car,
had a clutch issue, company replaced twice in first 4 months, then there was a problem with reverse gear (it was not engaging) and they had to replace gear box (again in warranty) but with many mails going to actual FIAT Italy.
Body rust in 6 months and then parts replaced and anti rust coating given free.
The windshield was broken on the day of delivery and was replaced and given.
And after all this my brother in law told all the story and I said you got a piece from long storage & not a new one & you never verified. But the car got rejected flag in my mind at that point.

Like the story went for most of us I started with
RAPID: - Found it good but the rare hump was disturbing & family was OK (Just OK with that hump) with the car.

ETIOS: - I went to SINARI a vehicle was offered for a test drive & after few meters I knew I am not going to buy it. Completely unsatisfied.
Family alread told me no, but trusting brand I wanted a test drive but results were straight.

MANZA: - Again found it good, but since I have read too much could identify all things which should be corrected. Family liked for the space but not the drive feel.

LINEA 2012: - What actually happened is MANZA was not available for test drive at that very moment and we were looking around. I found a LINEA & thought of understanding if the same car is still doing good. (Poor experience, but first my dilemma then complaints) and the test drive was available & my wife asked to try. So we are for a drive & all of a sudden (Just like HARRY POTTER PART 1) the WAND felt like it is made for me, but just before a year it was not even thought of. The new 2012 has improved ground clearance, the clutch was toooooo smooth, the wipers has rain sensors, the seats were leather and too comfortable, backbenchers were happy with personal care taking AC for them, suspension was too good, drive quality was nice, the steering feel was solid, I was breaking and reached a speed of 20 and the car was in 3rd gear and just to check i pressed the accelerator and the car moved as if it was not at all needed anything extra to the situation it was smooth, the accelerator did not required any hard push or anything it was butter smooth. The alloys were 16 inches & the tire width was 205.
NOW MY MAIN PROBLEM, AM GETTING SOLD TO SOMETHING WHICH ACTUALLY DOES NOT EXIST OR ITS A REALITY.
PLEASE CLARIFY SOON AS MY FAMILY IS FORCING ME TO CLOSE THE DEAL IN THIS OR MAX NEXT WEEK.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks