Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 19:06   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Price of XLD is now 9.9L and XV diesel is 10.9L
(this includes extended warranty)
Perhaps its due to octroi in mumbai! In Delhi the OTR price would still come to 9.2L.

Quote:
I agree. The interior quality of the sunny bothers me. I am m going to be behind the wheel all the time. And I felt the quality was not in the league of other cars in the same price bracket (10L). Drivability, space and other things are quite good.
The interiors are plain and functional. They surely lack the premium feeling but then there is only so much you can expect from Nissan at that price point. Choose wisely between interiors and every day running costs. Interiors might look refreshed with some good seat covers etc.
Old 19th August 2012, 12:44   #107
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Hello All,
I'm back for car shopping since my Reliable Polo Tdi HL met with a fatal accident. Here is the thread:

Just couple of weeks ago I had taken a passive test drive (i.e. sitting on the co-drivers seat) in Rapid Petrol Manual top model. I liked the refinement of the car (which I know it would be since I'm used to a 3 cylinder diesel in Polo). I could notice subtle differences, but otherwise the feel of my friends brand new rapid (2 months old) was equal in terms of ride quality or overall feel as compared to Polo. Overall I liked the car in all aspects.

My main concern after reading this thread is - many seem to be mentioning that Rapid AC is weak? Somewhere someone mentioned even Vento AC is weak!
I'm surprised, I used to swear by my Polo Tdi's AC as it could chill the cabin in minutes and for the first time in my life I have driven without loosing a sweat (the real one). Please also check GTO's & Chethan BG's first Polo Tdi owner thread and all other mentions where they say Polo's AC is a chiller. I now logically expect that the same AC is working on Vento and ofcourse mated to a bigger engine - and I can expect the same on Rapid. Is this not the fact? Does anybody know the capacity of the AC in CC or Tons or whatever the metric is for these cars and other cars in comparison. I also felt the Polo cabin by itself never got that hot when parked in summer under hot sun when you get in - good insulation - and when you get in, very nice!
What would be the difference now between Rapid TDI Top model and Polo Tdi top model.
This could be my sole deal breaker point. Everything else ticks all the boxes in Rapid.
Thank you!
Old 19th August 2012, 13:14   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
My main concern after reading this thread is - many seem to be mentioning that Rapid AC is weak? Somewhere someone mentioned even Vento AC is weak!
I'm surprised, I used to swear by my Polo Tdi's AC as it could chill the cabin in minutes and for the first time in my life I have driven without loosing a sweat (the real one). Please also check GTO's & Chethan BG's first Polo Tdi owner thread and all other mentions where they say Polo's AC is a chiller. I now logically expect that the same AC is working on Vento and ofcourse mated to a bigger engine - and I can expect the same on Rapid. Is this not the fact? Does anybody know the capacity of the AC in CC or Tons or whatever the metric is for these cars and other cars in comparison. I also felt the Polo cabin by itself never got that hot when parked in summer under hot sun when you get in - good insulation - and when you get in, very nice!
What would be the difference now between Rapid TDI Top model and Polo Tdi top model.
This could be my sole deal breaker point. Everything else ticks all the boxes in Rapid.
Thank you!
The Vento & Rapid's AC is strong enough - what are the negatives is that the rear ac vents do not do the same job as the front ac vents; eventually you have to wait for the front vents to cool the entire cabin.

In comparison to other C segment sedans, the AC might be a tad weaker (or stronger depending on which car you are comparing to). However the cooling effectiveness should be as good as the Polo; considering you were satisfied with the Polo's AC, the system on the Vento or Rapid should fulfil your needs.

There are quite a few differences between Rapid & Polo tdi(s) - but mostly +ves on part of the Rapid.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:02   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Vento & Rapid's AC is strong enough - what are the negatives is that the rear ac vents do not do the same job as the front ac vents; eventually you have to wait for the front vents to cool the entire cabin.
It may be because there is no separate fan for the rear AC vents.
Partially closing the front AC vents should make the rear AC vents more effective.

The only grouse is, the rear AC vents can't be turned off. 90% times, the rear bench is empty & it is just a wastage if you cant shut the vent.
Old 20th August 2012, 10:58   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
It may be because there is no separate fan for the rear AC vents.
Partially closing the front AC vents should make the rear AC vents more effective.

The only grouse is, the rear AC vents can't be turned off. 90% times, the rear bench is empty & it is just a wastage if you cant shut the vent.
Yup, that is one problem. Another one *wishlist* is that the ACC should have an option for directing all the AC flow towards the rear vents only, keeping the flow for the forwards vents to be minimal.

Actually the main reason I raised this point to @Frontosa is because when people see rear AC vents in the Vento/Rapid, their expectations go up for the rear seat cooling. One starts expecting immediate effects/extra strong cooling just because there are extra vents! But due to the reason correctly mentioned by you, there is no additional blower or fan, so the cooling effect is actually the same as a car without the rear vents. And hence (probably) the reports on "weak" AC for this car.

Quote:
@Frontosa, quoting you just to involve you in the conversation
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 11:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Yup, that is one problem. Another one *wishlist* is that the ACC should have an option for directing all the AC flow towards the rear vents only, keeping the flow for the forwards vents to be minimal.

Actually the main reason I raised this point to @Frontosa is because when people see rear AC vents in the Vento/Rapid, their expectations go up for the rear seat cooling. One starts expecting immediate effects/extra strong cooling just because there are extra vents! But due to the reason correctly mentioned by you, there is no additional blower or fan, so the cooling effect is actually the same as a car without the rear vents. And hence (probably) the reports on "weak" AC for this car.

@Frontosa, quoting you just to involve you in the conversation

Thank you buddy! My Polo cabin chilled within minutes even with 5 occupants without having a rear vent. My only concern is whether Skoda Rapid's AC is as good as Polo (with or without the rear vents) - forgetting the expectations part on that rear chiller. If it is then its just great - if not I have to rethink on which new car to buy.
Old 20th August 2012, 11:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you buddy! My Polo cabin chilled within minutes even with 5 occupants without having a rear vent. My only concern is whether Skoda Rapid's AC is as good as Polo (with or without the rear vents) - forgetting the expectations part on that rear chiller. If it is then its just great - if not I have to rethink on which new car to buy.
If I had a Polo, I would not upgrade to a Vento. Yes, the engine is different but that is where the list ends. It looks same, feels same & handles the same (or may be a bit worse due to the extra weight in the front and an overhand boot at the back).I would have bought maybe the Rapid or the Cruze (If i am able so spend more).

However AC is not a problem as far as I see it. Calcutta has one of the most brutal summers in India, I had had not have a chance to complain.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 11:48   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
If I had a Polo, I would not upgrade to a Vento. Yes, the engine is different but that is where the list ends. It looks same, feels same & handles the same (or may be a bit worse due to the extra weight in the front and an overhand boot at the back).I would have bought maybe the Rapid or the Cruze (If i am able so spend more).

However AC is not a problem as far as I see it. Calcutta has one of the most brutal summers in India, I had had not have a chance to complain.
Yes I m not keen on Vento as I would like a slightly different car, so the Rapid I guess, and lesser NVH is welcome with ACC and other stuff inside. Also the 80K savings on the price gives me some cash for ICE upgrade. I would like to keep the stock HU same & get amplifier with a good SQ speakers/component system with that money saved. I mean AC would have been a deal breaker if it was bad - but thanks for allaying my fears.
Old 20th August 2012, 12:41   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Why dont you wait and look at renault scala? i think it is a sturdier car t.oo.if you are very particular about european/german cars then i think Rapid is the way to go.

Did you like new fiesta?
Old 20th August 2012, 17:42   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Why dont you wait and look at renault scala? i think it is a sturdier car t.oo.if you are very particular about european/german cars then i think Rapid is the way to go.

Did you like new fiesta?
Honestly I was looking for Renault Duster, but it is a baggage of really good vs really bad things together + waiting period which I dont need right now . I dont have confidence in them to bring in a sedan which has something that is not irritating.
Fiesta, i didnt like the looks and too jazzy - but Yes I'm going to certainly test drive.
Old 20th August 2012, 19:03   #116
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Why dont you wait and look at renault scala? i think it is a sturdier car too ?
The Nissan Sunny/Renault scala is a very light weight vehicle. I think it's weighs only some 1000 kg. VW, Skoda, Fiat and Ford are very much studier car than Sunny.
Quote:
Honestly I was looking for Renault Duster, but it is a baggage of really good vs really bad things together + waiting period which I dont need right now . I dont have confidence in them to bring in a sedan which has something that is not irritating.
Fiesta, i didnt like the looks and too jazzy - but Yes I'm going to certainly test drive.
Renault Duster has got a very bad NCAP rating of 3.0 Do you want to buy it?
Ford Fiesta is a very safe car. It is well build and has got the best ride, handling and stability. NCAP rating of 5.0 ABS , EBD and dual airbags are standard across the variant. Sadly ESP only available in petrol variants. Rapid and Linea are also very good choices..

Last edited by anb : 20th August 2012 at 19:10.
anb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 13:33   #117
BHPian

Ok guys an update from my side.
After much thought and considerations, I've decided to not consider the Sunny, chiefly because I'll be the one driving it and this is going to be the ONLY car in the house.
Main two negatives:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An enthusiast should never buy the Sunny as his only car as he'll get too bored driving it.
At speed, and especially on typically undulating Indian highways, the Sunny feels very "floaty". Passengers won't enjoy the experience either.
So I've decided to stretch a little and decide between the Verna SX Diesel and Vento Diesel Highline. Am gonna test drive the diesel versions this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I really wouldn't consider the Verna at all. IMHO its an average overpriced car that doesn't excel on the basics and instead offers bling and is feature packed.
Agreed it is overpriced and focuses mainly on features but it is surely the best selling. I've been seeing consistent sales number of >4.5K every month since launch. Surely there must be something right about this car.
I am not really that bothered about high speed cornering coz I usually slow down before turns. My concern is the floating feeling above 110-120kmph. If it is anything similar to my santro, this would be a big minus.
Plus I observed during my petrol version TD, the rear seat middle seat is significantly raised so there is a little hump on the seat in the middle whereas the vento seat is flatter (but has a floor hump).
Verna owners - can you please share your thoughts on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Only if you want absolutely the segment best "diesel" performer AND are willing to shell out the extra cash that's above your preferred budget, you should consider the Rapid / Vento.
The Vento is a strong contender now. However the news about the vento refresh means I might have to wait a bit but then the sword of govt levying extra duty on diesel cars starts hanging. But if there is a updated vento I would rather wait for it to materialize coz I dont want to end up buying one and seeing a refresh next week.

Between the two (Verna D and Vento D) which one and why?

Last edited by surd_biker : 21st August 2012 at 13:37.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:19   #118
BHPian

I am really confused in deciding what to buy a diesel sedan with all safety features around 10-11 lakhs , Aft so much of thoughts i have narrowed down my choices to two Nissan Sunny XV(10.39L) Vs Fluidic Verna 1.6 SX CRDI(11.42L) both giving more or less same mileage but looks of Verna are simply superb to my Eyes at-least, now my concern is about the after sales service and maintenance cost. Is is really worthy to shell out the extra 1L for Verna. To be frank i really love the looks of Verna.

Fluidic Verna Owners please give your views about the Service and maintenance cost , price and availability of spares.

Last edited by crazyjeeperk : 21st August 2012 at 15:21.
Old 21st August 2012, 15:22   #119
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Between the two (Verna D and Vento D) which one and why?
I am also in the same dilemma as you are.

1. Verna :
I just loved the interiors and the features available on the Verna. The upholstery is plush and the soft touch plastics do add to the visual appeal. However driving it is a completely different story all together! Its supple and comfortable at city speeds but once you hit the highway speeds its a bit unstable. The highway character is very similar to i20! the rear seat passengers will defenitely not enjoy the undulations on the road!

2. Vento:
The interiors are just about ok and are typical German. The hump in the middle and the rear legroom make you squirm and bit. However the highway character of the car is excellent as well as the behaviour inside the city. You can confidently cruise all day at 130 KMPH without a worry! Its a rock solid and stable car. The feature is not exhautive and its not a VFM car IMHO!

I would recommend Vento considering you will out on the highway more often (the car being a Diesel) and since the roads in India are ever improving and most of the BHPians being roadies!

Last edited by MCR : 21st August 2012 at 15:24.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 17:23   #120
BHPian

Another one in the same dilemma!

I want the best driver's car south of 10 lakhs. I'm willing to shell out some more for something exceptional but I doubt anything in this range will have that much of a difference.

I drive a Petrol Palio 1.6 right now and am looking to upgrade to a Sedan. I'm looking for basic safety features (Airbags, ABS/EBD) and some creature comforts (USB, Aux, Bluetooth). I'd also like a car with a decent FE, low cost of ownership and no hassles. I plan to keep this car for the next 6-8 years so want reliability and good *** support. I've been using the Palio since 5-1/2 years and haven't really faced any problems with the TASS but with them you never know.

From what I've read, the best drivers cars in this segment are the NFF, Linea, Vento and Rapid. Am I missing some ?

I've TDed the New Fiesta and wasn't very impressed. I think the problem was that I TDed the NFF Automatic first and then the diesel. The automatic was an almost new car and I liked it but the Diesel seemed quite abused. Hated the vibrations that could be felt on the steering wheel!

The drive was alright, though, and the handling/suspension pretty good. I loved the seats and the cabin feel. The back seat looked as if they are from atleast a generation below. The top end Titanium is about 11.25lakh OTR in Gurgaon.

The second car I TDed was the Linea 1.3MJD. Compared to the Fiesta, the cabin seemed a bit *normal*. Loved the feel of the steering and when I started the engine, there were some vibrations but not too much to be a bother.

I didn't really think the car was underpowered. There was some turbo lag but it wasn't too bad and once I was past ~1700RPM, it was amazing.

The steering feel, handling, ride quality all quite good. The rear seats felt quite plush. I drove the Emotion top end variant which has leather interiors. Overall, I liked the Linea more than the Fiesta. I'll take another TD of both because I think the Ford TD car wasn't great. The Linea top end is about 10.25 lakhs, but with the Linea I can even take the middle variant and lose only the leather seats and 16" alloys. So, it's significantly cheaper than the Ford.

I'm yet to TD the Rapid or the Vento but I'm wary of the high cost of ownership that I've been hearing about.

I like the Linea but can I hope for Fiat to be around supporting it for the next 8 years? Is the Fiesta a safe bet or should I go the Vento/Rapid route (I know the Rapid doesn't satisfy the creature comfort criterion)?

Last edited by sharninder : 21st August 2012 at 17:27. Reason: Added more info for Linea

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks