Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:57   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
I already spoke to dealer on the discount part to reduce at least another 20-30K if the mfg date is more than 3 months old, but none of them agreeing. Will it be ok if I go for 6 months old car, of course car will be coming from factory itself. If nothing goes well, will wait till next year or year-end to check other new launches :-)

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Ideally a car is like a shoe. It is made to be used regularly and not to sit idle for a long period of time. The first thing to do is a proper pdi. Check the tyres carefully as if the car has been left exposed to the elements there are risks of cracks in the sidewall. The paint job and the electricals are also important to check along with things like door sills etc which may be a bit more rust prone being exposed. If all is well the car shouldnt be a problem.

It looks like all honda's will have diesel engines soon if the diesel brio being tested is anything to go by.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:12   #197
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel car for ~10 Lakh? Vento vs Verna vs Rapid vs Fiesta vs Linea vs Othe

Quote:
YashD, going for diesel Linea Emotion, after all discounts OTR is 10.65 L. Dealer offered 8.6 L for Linea T-Jet +, asked for 8L , but he didn't accept. Hence going to Linea-D.
Congrats buddy! Linea is an excellent vehicle. Actually one of the best vehicle available in the segment.
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:17   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Hence going to Linea-D.
Good choice the linea is the best in the ride and handling department.

I have personally seen lineas being driven on the Highways and have been fascinated by the car stability at high speed rides.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:15   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Given that you may now be waiting for a while, consider a car that is rumoured to be coming out around Diwali. The diesel Honda Jazz. It ticks all the boxes though its goodie list is not as impressive as the Fiat. However, it may well be the cheapest option
Diesel Honda Jazz around Diwali ??

I had recently read a news item saying Honda is scheduled to launch its first Diesel car only in March 2014, and if i am not wrong the first Diesel from the Honda stable is probably going to be the Brio (though am not sure about this)

Source

Quote:
I already spoke to dealer on the discount part to reduce at least another 20-30K if the mfg date is more than 3 months old, but none of them agreeing. Will it be ok if I go for 6 months old car, of course car will be coming from factory itself. If nothing goes well, will wait till next year or year-end to check other new launches :-)

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
3 months old cars is nearly the norm with Fiat, one of my friends had purchased the 2011 Linea in January this year & he got a July 2011 manufactured model. Tata's & Fiat's are known to have huge inventory levels.

Correct me if am wrong barring MSIL, Honda & Hyundai most of the car manufacturer's in India have a whole lot of inventories & most of the cars are more than 3 months old.
The only way out i believe is a thorough PDI
Old 24th September 2012, 10:47   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Congrats buddy! Linea is an excellent vehicle. Actually one of the best vehicle available in the segment.
Thank you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Good choice the linea is the best in the ride and handling department.

I have personally seen lineas being driven on the Highways and have been fascinated by the car stability at high speed rides.
Yes, Linea and New Fiesta both have good ride and handling, but top end Fiesta is costing 12L. Almost the same features will be coming in Linea (may be except cruise control) at much less price point (10.65 L)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post

3 months old cars is nearly the norm with Fiat, one of my friends had purchased the 2011 Linea in January this year & he got a July 2011 manufactured model. Tata's & Fiat's are known to have huge inventory levels.

I have read it somewhere that Jazz-D will be launched by Diwali, 2012. Yes, one of the sales guy told me they are still selling 2011 model Vistas :-).If the car is found to be not good during PDI, can I cancel the booking ? Dealers here say, cancellation is not possible and car will be fine as it comes directly from factory.

Will update you guys based on the news from dealers today.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 24th September 2012, 14:30   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post

I had recently read a news item saying Honda is scheduled to launch its first Diesel car only in March 2014, and if i am not wrong the first Diesel from the Honda stable is probably going to be the Brio (though am not sure about this)

Source

Correct me if am wrong barring MSIL, Honda & Hyundai most of the car manufacturer's in India have a whole lot of inventories & most of the cars are more than 3 months old.
My bad. I know Honda is testing diesel cars and I know they are launching an AT brio in Diwali. I must have put those together and assumed so, or someone assumed so and mentioned it, don't remember which. Anyway, I assume if they launch the brio, the jazz can be launched simultaneously in diesel as they must have a similar engine set up for attachments etc as they both use the same 1.2 ltr petrol engine.

Maruti's are at a max 3 months old, usually less. One of the benefits of buying a fast moving vehicle is that the car rarely sits in the dealership or factory unless you get things like that strike at manesar plant. It is not profitable for Maruti to delay it. After all that is what inspired the JIT philosophy in production.
Old 24th September 2012, 15:31   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Hi Srinivas,

Which color are you opting for. Is the dealer mentioning his stock or the factory ones? If the dealer is offering you a six month old stock, simply reject it and request for a newer piece from the factory. The newer ones wont be more than 3-4 months old. Let me know the color you are willing to book, I will give the details of the stock position at the plant in terms of the oldest one available at the plant.

Regards,
KRISHNA
Old 24th September 2012, 15:47   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Hi Srinivas,

Which color are you opting for. Is the dealer mentioning his stock or the factory ones? If the dealer is offering you a six month old stock, simply reject it and request for a newer piece from the factory. The newer ones wont be more than 3-4 months old. Let me know the color you are willing to book, I will give the details of the stock position at the plant in terms of the oldest one available at the plant.

Regards,
KRISHNA
Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the help, I have opted for Sun Beam Beige color, please let me know the stock position available at the plant? Today, one of the dealer told me that he can get a June or July 2012 make from the factory. Planning to book it tomorrow. Let me know your inputs.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 24th September 2012, 18:55   #204
BHPian

I have some queries regarding the mileage factor for the vento/Rapid (1.6TDi) and the Sx4/Linea(1.3Mjd-90Bhp).

On the highways when there is need to maintain a constant speed of 100-120km/hr , i get a better mileage on the 1.6 TDi than compared to the 1.3 Mjd.

The 1.3 Mjd gives a better mileage when running at 80-100Km/hr(2 to 2.5 K RPM)

Has anyone noticed this or has any reasoning on the same.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:06   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
The 1.3 Mjd gives a better mileage when running at 80-100Km/hr(2 to 2.5 K RPM)
Has anyone noticed this or has any reasoning on the same.
I think thats more to do with the tall gear ratios for Rapid/Vento compared to the shorter gear ratios for 1.3 MJD. The 1.3 90hp is average for a heavy car like Linea and Fiat has compensated for it by the shorter ratios.
You can feel the 1.3 getting strained past 120km/h (higher rpm compared to 1.6 TDi in same gear) while the 1.6 TDi is still at ease, even at 130-140.

At 70 km/h, the 1.6 TDi is just near the 1500 RPM mark, it should give best efficiency around 1800-1900 rpm (turbo zone)
Old 27th September 2012, 21:59   #206
BHPian

Hello Team BHP! I just got my membership approved and I'm thrilled and filled with pride for being part of this family of car and bike lovers! I have been going through this thread and I'm still perplexed about which car our family should buy!

You see, my family of four is planning to buy a diesel sedan to be kept as a long term vehicle for at least 5 years. It is to be used mostly on the highways of Kerala which has a mix of good high speed roads and dangerously uneven and curvy ones as well. The car has to be capable of maintaining decent speeds without having to work the gear box a lot. High speed stability and good fuel economy are a necessity. We have short listed on the new Vento and the Verna owing to their powerful, yet frugal diesel engines. We like the Vento better because of its superior driving dynamics and build quality over the Verna even though the latter has more features. We ignored the new Fiesta altogether owing to its cramped rear seats and a rather odd rear end design (seating at least 4 people in comfort is a must for us!). Which will be a better choice? Also we were considering the new Chevy Cruze because of its bigger engine, road presence and features. Will it suit our requirements better? Is it worth the extra lakhs or should we stick to the lower segment? I'm desperate for suggestions Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for posting this here but I saw a a lot of threads pertaining to the cars mentioned above and I didn't want to add one more, in case anyone else has my exact same doubt!
Old 28th September 2012, 00:13   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan
Hello Team BHP! I just got my membership approved and I'm thrilled and filled with pride for being part of this family of car and bike lovers! I have been going through this thread and I'm still perplexed about which car our family should buy!

You see, my family of four is planning to buy a diesel sedan to be kept as a long term vehicle for at least 5 years. It is to be used mostly on the highways of Kerala which has a mix of good high speed roads and dangerously uneven and curvy ones as well. The car has to be capable of maintaining decent speeds without having to work the gear box a lot. High speed stability and good fuel economy are a necessity. We have short listed on the new Vento and the Verna owing to their powerful, yet frugal diesel engines.
For the requirements listed by you, the Vento seems to be the perfect choice. I wouldn't pick the Verna, it's high speed dynamics as well as ride quality aren't realty great. Th steering is pretty mediocre too. The Vento will provide all the attributes you need for your usage. The cruze is a tempting proposition too. Whether its worth the extra moolah is really your call depending on budget. No point event looking at the Sunny / Scala from what you've outlined.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 00:26   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan

You see, my family of four is planning to buy a diesel sedan to be kept as a long term vehicle for at least 5 years. It is to be used mostly on the highways of Kerala which has a mix of good high speed roads and dangerously uneven and curvy ones as well. The car has to be capable of maintaining decent speeds without having to work the gear box a lot. High speed stability and good fuel economy are a necessity. We have short listed on the new Vento and the Verna owing to their powerful, yet frugal diesel engines. We like the Vento better because of its superior driving dynamics and build quality over the Verna even though the latter has more features. We ignored the new Fiesta altogether owing to its cramped rear seats and a rather odd rear end design (seating at least 4 people in comfort is a must for us!). Which will be a better choice? Also we were considering the new Chevy Cruze because of its bigger engine, road presence and features. Will it suit our requirements better? Is it worth the extra lakhs or should we stick to the lower segment? I'm desperate for suggestions Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for posting this here but I saw a a lot of threads pertaining to the cars mentioned above and I didn't want to add one more, in case anyone else has my exact same doubt!
I too would suggest you to go for the Vento. Its the best car for highway driving, would have suggested you Verna for city usage but for highway driving and cornering nothing beats the Vento. As you can spend till Cruze do check out new Elantra and Laura too. You might get some good offers in laura currently. Avoid Cruze, the handling is really pathetic of the car according to a lot of owners I know it has reliability issues too.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 01:32   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Hello Team BHP! I just got my membership approved and I'm thrilled and filled with pride for being part of this family of car and bike lovers!
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Welcome aboard TBHP Vivek. With regards to your car, do consider the Chevy Optra. Yes, it is not as modern as the Cruze but is cheaper and more spacious as well. Am not sure about the reliability as someone mentioned that the Cruze does have some reliability concerns.

The one thing I would suggest you do also consider when buying a car is the A.S.S. Both VW and Skoda seem to making a mess of it and spoiling their own names for some unfathomable reason.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 02:10   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
With regards to your car, do consider the Chevy Optra. Yes, it is not as modern as the Cruze but is cheaper and more spacious as well. Am not sure about the reliability as someone mentioned that the Cruze does have some reliability concerns.
Optra is phased out. Chevy has already stopped the production of Optra. Even if you get one that would have been manufactured in early 2012. Why would we want to select a car which is phased out.

Personally, I like Optra TCDI for its raw power and space inside the vehicle. But, it has terribly outdated interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks