Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2017, 12:52   #181
BHPian

Re: C Segment Sedan Confusion, upgrading from Beat

I would suggest either go for Ciaz Petrol or with City V MT. Both are very good cars for their price.

Don't put so much stress on 6 month service intervals. And you only have to follow this till warranty period. So that means, 8 services in 4 years instead of 4 services in 4 years. 4 days in 4 years difference should not have such a big impact on your buying decision. Infact consistency of A.S.S is where the Japs win a point over the Europeans,

If you can wait for new Verna, do it, though I doubt Hyundai would price its car much less than City.

I, personally would get City if its in my budget or wait for Diwali which is not too far away, and see what updated Verna, updated S-Cross, Tata Nexon bring to the table.

EDIT: If you really want a well priced nice to drive diesel sedan, go with Aspire. The engine is a scorcher and you would get a much better deal than any of these above, and you can easily afford the top most variant with 6 airbags.

Last edited by autorahul : 27th May 2017 at 12:56.
Old 27th May 2017, 13:23   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I am a sedate driver and generally stick to 80km/h on highways with the Beat so i'm assuming i will be happy with the Vento P.

Thanks for your inputs!

Agreed!

We are biased against the ciaz only because it is from Maruti. I am circumspect about its highway performance and turbo lag both of which i am sure are not issues with the Europeans.

Had Ciaz been a lakh cheaper, it would have been in our Parking already!

Thanks
I currently have an S-Cross (diesel), an Elite i20 (petrol) and a Vento (diesel). I would choose the Suzuki over the VW for both city and highway commutes. I don't drive at particularly high speeds, so this is not an issue for me. I haven't had the opportunity to drive the Ciaz, but having spoken to multiple owners - they tell me it is excellent. But yes, the badge value is diminished.
Old 27th May 2017, 13:52   #183
BHPian

Let me add to your confusion

Buying new, check out the following cars

- Maruti Ciaz (Value for money)
- Honda City (i-VTEC performance and economy)
- VW Vento (Build quality)

My pick would be the Ciaz or City, depending on your budget. Your running doesn't really warrant a diesel, so petrol would be the way to go IMHO. The City is much better to drive than the Ciaz and more comfortable, but the Ciaz is pretty okay too and its a lot cheaper. The i-VTEC is just something else though.

Also, if you're keen on a compact SUV, consider

- Ford EcoSport
- Maruti Vitara Brezza
- Maruti S-Cross

Buying pre-worshipped, you should consider

- Toyota Corolla
- Honda Civic
- Hyundai Elantra

Last edited by Aaron:) : 27th May 2017 at 13:56.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 14:30   #184
BHPian

Let me throw in a practical VFM choice you have not considered. . Ertiga petrol. Specially if you have senior citizen passengers /tall passengers. Check out the numerous threads on the forum. My parents refuse to use the Linea back seat since I've bought a wagon R this month. The Ertiga is also a very practical upgrade from a Beat. Same peppy engine as the Ciaz.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 16:38   #185
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements:
a. Ride Quality and Safety
b. VFM
c. Fuel Economy
d. Reliability
New SCross 1.3 Zeta all the way if you are OK with diesel. It rides better than all the options you mentioned. And high speed ride is top notch. Build of Vento/Rapid is better than SCross, but SCross rides better than both of them. Have a test drive to test true potential of SCross. If you still want to go for Vento/Rapid, go for Rapid diesel. It has better suspension, better NVH and looks better than Vento in my opinion.
sups is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 23:12   #186
BHPian

Test Drove a Ciaz Petrol and it is a better driving experience than the Diesel which comes with the turbo lag. I am not considering other cars like SCross or Ertiga because of some reasons. The race seems to be now with Ciaz Vs Used Vento (6.5) vs Rapid Diesel (11.2) unless i see a gem in the used car market.

+ ve for Ciaz
1. Maruti
2. FE
3. Space
4. Chiller A/C
5. Resale Value ( Once bitten twice shy)

+ ve for Vento/Rapid
1. Fit and Finish Quality
2. Better Handling at high speeds

I am not comfortable buying a very old car hence the filter for the used car market is max 3 years and 25,000 kms which doesn't get me a D segment sedan at a good price.
Old 28th May 2017, 00:15   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Test Drove a Ciaz Petrol and it is a better driving experience than the Diesel which comes with the turbo lag.
You sure its not the other way around? The Diesel has 50% more torque (200 Nm vs 130 Nm) and just 2 bhp less (89 vs 91) Also peak torque is delivered as just 1750 rpm for the diesel vs 4000 rpm for the petrol.

I took delivery of a Ciaz Alpha Diesel exactly two weeks back. My running is hardly 3-4k a a year, I bought the Diesel since I felt its pickup was better

Also if you are worried about resale value and service costs there is no point in considering VW and Skoda. I was very keen in picking up a used Laura TSI run only 34k for 5L until I found out the rear suspension repairs would cost 1L !

Last edited by Foxbat : 28th May 2017 at 00:18.
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 00:44   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
You sure its not the other way around? The Diesel has 50% more torque (200 Nm vs 130 Nm) and just 2 bhp less (89 vs 91) Also peak torque is delivered as just 1750 rpm for the diesel vs 4000 rpm for the petrol.
Hi Foxbat, the difference was that in diesel you have to wait until 1750 for the torque while the petrol delivers a very linear performance. The same test drive had me make more downshifts in diesel or at times wait for 1700 RPM while the petrol was very nimble and easy to drive. At 1700+ RPMs though the two cars are very different with the diesel being very solid.

I am looking to stay away as well as advised all over the forum.

Off topic: How much FE have you got with the diesel motor?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old 28th May 2017, 00:49   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Foxbat, the difference was that in diesel you have to wait until 1750 for the torque while the petrol delivers a very linear performance. The same test drive had me make more downshifts in diesel or at times wait for 1700 RPM while the petrol was very nimble and easy to drive. At 1700+ RPMs though the two cars are very different with the diesel being very solid.

I am looking to stay away as well as advised all over the forum.

Thanks for your inputs!
The display is showing about 16.5 km/l but I think its not really fair to judge as the car has only done 550 km and is only used for late night joyrides
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 02:04   #190
BHPian

Since i do own a 3.5 year old Vento P, I can definitely say, that maintenance is not much higher than the equivalent japs. In terms of service bills, its been cheaper than my 2012 honda city, which goes in every 6 months.
The costs of spares have also come down with increased localisation.
The only issue ive had is that the front suspension went bad a little soon : costed me 12k at an FNG in Pune, with OEM sourced parts since i was out of warranty.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 09:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember a very recent post where one gentlemen having to put in 30-40k every year to maintain his Jetta is good condition.
My Jetta is nearing 8 years. It has seen more than 2 years of minimal running when i was out of the country. The car feels and runs like how it was when i got it. Whatever you need for a 8 year old car is what we are talking about maintenance. Hence i mentioned with the discontinued status, picking this car with say 50-70k kms is nothing but a babied german car for these car have proven track records to run over 200k easilly.

Things will need attention include suspension,belts. bearings, water pump, fly wheel and clutch, filters and may be wheels and tyres. So a 5-6 l buy price with all these will cost you less than 10L which will run another 40K kms. Anyway i just wanted to alleviate the fear factor of running low increasing maintenance cost.

Above list is pretty much same for any car with 4-5 years of running on it. I recommend jetta to buyers simply because of availability of parts every where, performance tuning availability, and actually a heavy car that comes with 8 air bags, abs, tsc, ebd, 10 speaker system with RCD 510 which is a steal.

Last edited by VW2010 : 28th May 2017 at 09:06.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 10:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The race seems to be now with Ciaz Vs Used Vento (6.5) vs Rapid Diesel (11.2) unless i see a gem in the used car market.
At around 6L I suggest you go for the used Vento. With the money saved on even a new Ciaz, you will have several years of running.

The 2015 Highline is pretty well loaded with the essential features, and based on my experience with a petrol Rapid, fuel efficiency in city is acceptable with the AC on (10-14), and on the highway it is quite amazing (18-19kmpl) for a 1.6. For reference, I don't speed on the highway although I do like the acceleration.

I've also found that while the petrol is not as refined as one from Maruti or Hyundai, it is not a slouch. One just has to get used to the sound at higher RPMs, and the performance is more than acceptable. Post startup the engine is super silent, and only becomes audible/vocal above 2.5k rpm.

Finally maintenance - with my Rapid it comes to around 6-10k per year, due to the fact that mine is 3.5 years old and has run about 45k kms. If your running is anywhere in this range, service costs should be similar because you have a long way to go before the 60k service where the costs are higher.

Take a good look at the Vento, and if acceptable (consistent with the current Odo reading), then go for it
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 23:57   #193
BHPian

Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Thanks for all the suggestions via replies and PM! I ended up buying the Ciaz Delta DDis variant Grey color while the confusion was with Ciaz Zeta Petrol vs Vento Highline Petrol.

The reason being Vento Highline was a 2016 August car which means it is almost a year old and costs us similar price as Ciaz Zeta which would be a newer model affecting the resale value. Also while driving the Ciaz vs the Vento, i did not notice much of a difference in terms of highway stability at 100km/hr and hence made my mind up for Ciaz.

Ciaz Petrol became Diesel due to availability issues. Petrol would take 4-6 weeks to arrive and the delivery date was not certain. The requirement of car being urgent we asked them to check stock for diesel and thankfully they did have stock which means i will get the car in 7 working days.

Thanks everyone!
Old 5th June 2017, 23:25   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your inputs!
I went to Bangalore from Hyderabad and back and got 21 km/liter.

This was with luggage, 4 people , 100% AC on and some driving in peak traffic in Bangalore. I was driving mostly between 80-100 km/hr. The car had only done about 700 km at the start of the trip.

Just saw you bought a Diesel Ciaz, Congratulations! Welcome to the club.
Old 25th June 2017, 16:31   #195
BHPian

Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

All,
With a very heavy heart, sold my 4.5yr old Figo Diesel. But very happy at the same time as I got a pretty good offer for a very new 11month old City iVtec SV run just 5500kms.

As my office commute has now come down to 30kms from 80kms to & fro, and as it falls right in the highest traffic area, I have been using bike for daily commute and the figo was used only for weekends and out of town trips. In the last couple of years, the figo barely clocked 10-12k kms. And with us getting a Nano AMT for wifey last Nov, the figo usage came down even more. No car can beat the convenience of Nano AMT in traffic.
But the Figo was still serving us fantastically well with very low maintenance costs. Never thought of replacing it for a few years.

But had to learn a life lesson recently when the whole family of one my colleague died in a road accident in a Swift Dzire(previous gen) and the variant did not have ABS or airbags. So the thought of replacing my figo which dint have the safety features was at the back of my mind. And add to it, the figo is now used only for our out station trips.

My beloved Figo
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza-4.jpg

A close friend offered a good price for my Figo(his usage is primarily within city). I was very much interested in the new Tigor & even took a TD and planned to book the XZ(o) Petrol. At the same time had an offer from one of my friend's colleague for a relatively new City. He is travelling abroad for the next 3yrs.
So all things coming together, gave the Figo and got the City iVtec SV in Urban Titanium during end of May. The car completed its 1st year early this month.
I tried to tell a few of my friends that this is a preowned car, but most of them think I'm lying to them to avoid giving a big treat for a new car.
Thats how new the car actually is. The new car smell is still present.
So I've stopped saying myself. If they ask whether its new and I just say yes :-)

The City, isn't she georgeous?
Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza-rps20170622_011329_463.jpg

Immediately after taking delivery, went and got a set of alloys and upgraded the 175/65 R15 Bridgestones to 185/65 R15 Michelins. The previous owner had already installed Fog Lamps & Reverse camera from the dealership. While seling my Figo, I had removed my 6 month old Pioneer BT Touch screen system & replaced it with the single din Pioneer system which was present previously. So got the Pioneer Touch screen system installed in the City & connected the rear camera too to it. Disposed the Mirror display which was added. Also added Seat covers and floor matting to the City.

Took the car to Maansarovar Honda and got my details updated, now that the RC name transfer is completed. Also got the 50 point check done. All green. Paid for the extended warranty, which was not availed previously.

All in all, the City in Petrol form, makes me sometime double check whether the car is actually on or off :-). See my signature below of the set of cars i've owned previously & you'll know the reason:

Last edited by swami.n : 25th June 2017 at 16:34.
swami.n is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks