Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:48   #91
BHPian

Hyundai Verna 1.6 SX VTVT or Fiat Linea T-Jet Emotion..??

Hi everyone.

This is my first topic on Team-BHP, so it might get a little bit long. I hope you can bear with me. And, the views expressed here-within are purely my own and don't represent a true picture towards any car / manufacturer. My apologies if anyone gets offended if their favorite car / brand is not spoken of in high regard in this thread.

I'm one of the millions of engineers in India, working in an Auto OEM. Like every auto enthusiast, I too had lots of smoky, hazy dreams of driving a two seater sports coupe along a winding mountain road, listening to AC/DC.

But, once I completed my engineering and joined an organization, reality gave a solid kick in my middle class shin. I understood that living life and dreaming about it are two very separate entities. So, as far as cars were considered, I had to manage with my cute bug "Estelle", the Santro Zip Plus (2002 model).

Life in the meanwhile was getting complicated, me shifting jobs and basically trying to save up some serious money, while staying away from my parents, who were working in a different part of the world. Then I shifted to another city for a different job, which meant I had to sell our beloved Estelle.

And then, in 2011, my uncle wanted to buy a car (his first car, at the age of 54 in 2011). Naturally, he wanted my help. He has a medical condition in his left leg, hence he can't lift his ankle too much for too long. So, it had to be an automatic. Back in 2011, the only Automatic hatchbacks were the i10 Auto and A-Star Auto.

We decided to check out both cars.

We first went to the ABT Maruti showroom (Guindy, Chennai) and checked out the A-Star. After lots of sitting around in different position, it was agreed upon that the space in the A-Star was woefully inadequate for our primary usage (weekend roaming in cities and occasional intercity drives). Also, the dealer was showing us some "attitude" with regards to giving a test drive.

Then we went to the HMP showroom, where the pre-sales experience was completely different. We were shown all cars within our range, even though we were asking for i10 automatic. We test drove the automatic and it felt good for the intended usage. We were also given a solid cash discount and free third year extended warranty and free insurance for the first year.

Just 3 months after taking delivery of the car, my uncle was transferred to a different location (goddamn nationalized banks). So, I was the sole trusted person whom he allowed to run the car. It is running solid and will unite with him shortly, as he is expecting a transfer back here.

And, to add to this, my parents announced that they are returning to India within a month. This lead to a simple, yet, difficult situation. We needed our own car. This meant many hours of pre-read on Team-BHP.

My parents decided to come here for a week for some last minute personal work. I utilized this opportunity and started a conversation with dad that went like this.

Me: Since you guys are coming back to India, why don't we buy a new car for our personal use?

Dad: Sure, what do you have in mind?

Me: Budget of 20L max.

Dad: I'd rather invest that money in real estate and make a clean sweep for my retirement.

Me: I think there's more to life than just simple mathematical transactions dad.

Dad: That’s true, but 20L is way too much to justify our limited usage.

Me: What’s on your mind..??

Dad: Nice, Comfy spacious sedan. No Compact Sedan nonsense.

Me: Since when did you learn car classifications?? (earlier, my dad was a total non-car person, with absolutely no interest in cars, let alone their classification)

Dad: Well, don't forget that I did work abroad for a few years and was chauffeured around in a Nissan Patrol.

(Thinking inside my head - how could I ever forget being chauffeured around in that Silky Smooth 5.6L litre V8 Monster dad...?)

Me: Again, budget..??

Dad: Max 12L OTR.

Me: Great, let’s go for some window shopping.

Dad: List out your options before we step out the door. I don't want to roam around the city all day, speaking to car dealers.

Me: Sounds Fair. Here's the list

1. Fiat Linea T-Jet
2. Hyundai Verna
3. Honda City
4. Maruti Ciaz
5. VW Vento
6. Toyota Etios

Dad takes his argument sniper out and starts shooting down my options one by one as follows:

Toyota Etios - I don't need a Taxi car
VW Vento - Looks very stern faced
Maruti Ciaz - A Maruti for 12 Lakhs..?? Are you out of your mind?
Honda City - It looks very awkward

Me: So, you're telling me that you don't want any of these nice cars based on this..??

Dad: It’s our money. How we feel about it should decide the car, not the sales gimmicks.

Me: What made you not to shoot down the Fiat & Hyundai?

Dad: We've had three Hyundai cars in our family. I've travelled in my colleague's Linea a few times, and it was comfy. Also, it looks elegant.

Me: Alright then, it’s decided. Let’s go check out these cars.

We head to the Fiat showroom first. It was a nice showroom, located in the middle of velachery (Ramkay Fiat) with individual test drive cars for each model and fuel variant.

Once we enter the showroom, only to be greeted by a power-cut. Luckily, they had a few pedestal fans running. We went to straight to the Linea on display.

Dad: What’s this..??

Me: This is the Linea we were talking about.

Dad: No, this is not the car I'm talking about.

He then looked around and pointed to a large wall poster of the Original Linea.

Dad: That is the car I'm talking about.

Me: This is the older model. The car that you're seeing here is the face lifted model.

Dad: This looks awkward. Like a botched up Botox job.

Me: Look, there's no way we can get the older model in brand new condition now. At least, let’s take this for a drive.

(This has been going on for 5 mins now, but no sales person has interacted with us yet).

Dad (pointing to one of the sales executives): Excuse me young man, could you tell us a little bit about this car..??

S.A: Good afternoon sir. What car are you interested in..??

Dad (pointing to the Old Linea wall poster): Can you get me some details about that car..??

S.A: Sir, that is older model. This is the latest one (pointing to the new car).

Dad: What's so special about this car compared to the one on the wall?

S.A: Sir, this new car has Turbo-Jet engine (his exact words, no pun intended). It has 1.4 litres @ 114ps (I'm trying so hard to control my laughter at this point). This is the fastest car in India today.

Me: Can I take it for a test drive?

S.A: Sure sir, we can go for a test drive as soon as the car comes back.

Mom, in the meanwhile goes around, observing the car and comments that the color is very good (Tuscan Wine). She also loves the leather seats and the rear AC vent. Dad goes on to check the boot space and is equally impressed. He also asks about the gas struts, to which the S.A replies - "Saar, they are lifetime guarantee items"..!!

Meanwhile I check out the seating position and the rear leg room with the driver seat in my position (I'm 6'2"). Its good enough for a 5'10" person behind me.

Then the S.A announces that we can go for a test drive. I offer him my driving license to make a copy for his documentarion, to which he idiotically replies - "Its not required in our dealership saar". I was like - "whatever, your problem buddy..!!"

We go down and check out T-Jet. Its a Champagne Gold color, in the Emotion variant. Myself, mom & dad unanimously agree that this color best suits the new face of the Linea and hides that chrome overdose very well.

I open the driver door and am greeted by a dirty soiled leather seat. Its so bad that I ask for some newspaper to be laid upon before we sit in the car. My parents are also alarmed by the sweat stains on the rear seat.

Me (to the S.A): Why are the seats so dirty? Couldn't you guys atleast maintain it once in a while?

S.A: It just came back from a 900km tour sir.

I was too stunned to quip further. My mom commented that maintaining these leather seats could pose a problem in the long term. I comfort her saying that if we clean it regularly and condition the leather at 3M, it'll last well.

We then start the test drive, wading through the horrendous traffic. The clutch kiss point is quite sharp and I exercise some caution. I take a U-turn at the next intersection and find the turning radius to be slightly large, albeit manageable. We then head toward a small well laid 4-lane stretch. I watch out for over-enthusiatic cops with those damn defective speed radars.

The road is pretty deserted on this Sunday afternoon. Once I'm sure that the coast is clear, I start gingerly and ease into 2nd. Then, I floor it and the fun begins. The torque wave unleashed is too good. My dad cautions me to be safe; while mom is grinning with a smile plastered across her face. We reach 100kmph pretty quick and I spot an undulation too late. It goes over that, but is really composed. Dad did complain of some muted, albeit audible "thud" noise in this car, compared to the older car, which he said was quieter on such roads. I think it might be due to the raised suspension. One alarming thing which I noticed was heavy wind noise past 90kmph. I rechecked thrice to see if all windows were rolled-up fully. Lane changing was very good. Steering was communicative.

Braking was very sharp. Brownie points for the effortless stopping power. Then we turned back towards the dealership. I drove a little sedately to observe for part throttle response and gauge turbo lag. Lag was noticeable below 1200rpm. Above that, it had little pep. Spool started around 1500rpm and the turbo shove began around 1800rpm. One thing I observed was the torque steer in less than ideal road conditions. I could feel the front tires squirm when forced between the torque from the engine and my minute counter-inputs.

In the 30-70kmph zone, ride quality was not as subtle as my dad expected, him being quite vocal about the jolts in the seat across the same undulation which it dispatched effortlessly at high speed. The S.A interfered that this is not a big problem, and can be sorted out (whatever that means). My dad repeated that this was never a problem in his friend's older Linea. I too could feel it, albeit lesser, cause I was between the wheels, while my dad was seated near the rear wheels.

Once we returned to the showroom, I reversed the car and was surprised to observe that the reversing sensors did not have any kind of numerical display or digital bars, but only audible warning buzzer. I mean, how exactly is one supposed to know which edge of the bumper is there an obstruction and steer away from it..??

I then asked him if they will honor electrical warranty if I replace the headlamp bulbs with more powerful ones, as I have heard the lack of powerful lighting in the Linea. The silly fellow shows me the head lamp leveller switch and says, "Saar, this is a nice feature which a lot of people don't know about. Using this, we can get very good lighting, especially in high beam".

I decided not to bother him with any more technical questions. Then we discussed finace options and left to the next showroom.

The Hyundai showroom is company operated (HMP Chennai), at Ekkaduthangal. Its a nice place with all car
Models on display, except the Sonata & Santa Fe. I observe the Creta adverts hanging from the interior lighting decorations.

As soon as we enter the showroom, we are greeted by the floor manager and she asks us to wait for two minutes until she sends a Sales Associate to attend to us. And then, I meet Mr. Nidheesh, the gentleman who sold us our uncle's i10 as well as two of my close friends' Eon cars. Perfect gentleman and entirely receptive. We chitchat for a few minutes and then we get down to business.

I tell him my requirement. He shows me the 4S Verna. My mom in the meanwhile looks at the Elite i20 and suggests that we should test drive it. So, we take the Asta VTVT out for a test drive. Features are overwhelming. But the engine lacks the low end grunt I'm expecting. I mean, the AT in our i10 is so good that it masks this engine's low end torque deficit. It is Seriously underpowered. I'd say atleast provide the 1.4L Petrol from the 4S Verna as an option, excise duty notwithstanding. The ride is a little stiff and the self-centering is too quick for my liking. It hasn't got a "feel" during self-centering and simply springs back to the centre like my Logitech G27 Racing Wheel.!!

My dad complains about the rear headroom, also mentioning that the suspension thuds are audible when passing over some patchy roads.

We then go back to the showroom. My dad sits in the Verna. They have a Silver 1.6 S(O) CRDi on display. He is impressed by the quality levels of the interiors. He then checks out the boot space. He notes that this one doesn't have the gas struts for boot like the Linea and suggests that the hinge might restrict usable luggage space.

I then ask about the Creta and Nidheesh replies that the vehicle is expected on July 18th. He quickly adds that the showroom display would be only from 21st.

I'm now in two splits, but still go ahead with the test drive for the Verna. I ask for the Verna 1.6SX VTVT. He brings a white car for the test drive. The color doesn't look as appealing as the photos suggest. I enter the test drive car and immediately notice that the car has been maintained perfectly. No stain marks of the seats. And there is a pleasant fragrance from the air freshener.

My mom & dad slip into the back seat. My dad immediately notices that the space available between the rear seat and the B-Pillar is limited. He said he had to wedge his feet inside for the sake of this seat. But soon he feels comfortable in the rear and likes the arm rest. Mom is a little skeptical about fitting a 3rd person in the middle. I assure her that they can adjust for short city drives.

I feel at home in the driver's seat and soon find the perfect seating position, thanks to the seat height adjustment and tilt & telescopic steering. I then pair my phone and BT Audio streaming is very good. Sound quality is good for normal use, and it even had a speed sensitive volume, with three levels of adjustment.

I then eased out of the parking lot. The car felt smooth with zero vibes at idle. The horn felt muted compared to the Linea's dual tone unit. The engine is simply butter creamy in power delivery. I upshifted early and was greeted by a smooth effortless surge, just what I was looking for..!!

Don't get me wrong, I like fast cars with some serious shove. But, it can be enjoyed only once in a while thanks to the reality that its my own car and not some rental car. Also, there is not much road space in Chennai's lovely traffic to enjoy the power surge. For the rest of the time, this effortless fast driving is what I expect. Then I encounter a poorly paved road and slow down. But, Nidheesh urges me to continue. I drive over the undulations and the car exhibits a very smooth demeanour. None of us feel a thing. Looking at the outside surroundings, my dad notes that the ride quality is really very good.

We then head out to the main road and head towards the Kathipara Clover Leaf Flyover. The car climbs effortlessly on the bridge, with the engine pulling cleanly from 1500rpm in 3rd gear, with 4 people on board and the AC at a nice 18 degrees. This bridge has many steel ridges between blocks of paved roads. In my uncle's i10 and the Elite i20, they were a little unsettling. In the Verna, it just felt like it wasn't there. The ride was that good. My dad was really impressed. And then I asked my mom how she felt, only to find that she has dozed off comfortably in the rear seat.

The steering weighed up well above 50kmph, but wasn't as communicative as the Linea. It certainly didn't feel dead like in the reviews. I then took a U-turn near the St. Thomas Mount Post Office. The turning radius was very good. And after that, the car just glided over the concrete undulations under the Metro bridge, at the edge of the construction area. We then had to inadvertently check the car's braking prowess thanks to a lovely MTC Driver who decided to pull out from the Aasharghana bus stop without any care for the world around him.

The car stopped effortlessly from around 60kmph. I didn't feel much of a difference in the Verna's braking ability compared to the Linea in normal conditions to care about the missing rear discs. Maybe a highway drive might clear things a little bit more. I then proceeded back over the Clover shaped flyover towards the showroom, again impressed by the ride quality and the effortless performance.

None of us felt any of the long wave bounciness that I read of in so many reviews of the older Verna when we went on the down ramp at 80kmph over the steel ridges on the bridge. I finally went back to the showroom, fully satisfied.

Dad & Mom were happy with the overall experience at Hyundai. But, my dilemma started there. I have a soft corner for the Linea since 2010.

I'm afraid that the old adage "Never meet your dream hero in person" might have become true in my case. I had towering expectations for the Linea. The car did deliver well for me, as an individual. But, am not satisfied because my parents don't fully approve of the car. But the Verna, which was never in my radar pretty mich the whole time, has now all of a sudden swept me clean off my feet with its all-roundedness. Also, it offers more safety kit. And there-in lies the reason I have typed in so much. I need the guidance and counsel of expert BHP-ians and other Team-BHP owners' take on this conundrum.

Another cause of concern towards Fiat Linea is my scare of Fiat's After Sales Service. I mean, I really don't know the competency of Fiat Service, especially here in Chennai. Also, due to the nature of my work, I really cannot spend time for any warranty follow ups and alternate visits to FNGs to resolve some other issues which might crop up from time to time. Also, the resale value on the Linea seems too low, although its not the car's fault on any of these human reasons.

Hyundai on the other hand is a brand I can take with my eyes closed. Because of my service experience with them. And also because of the confidence my little Estelle has imbibed in the brand's reliability.

In a gist, here are my key requirements:
  • Cars short listed – Hyundai 4S Verna 1.6 SX VTVT & Fiat Linea T-Jet Emotion

• Price range – Max 12L OTR
  • Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations – Peace of mind is primary requirement, with no nasty surprises
  • Average distance traveled per month – Approx. 500 – 600 km
  • Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) – 60% City, 40% Highway, with some rough roads thrown in here & there
  • Chauffeur driven / self driven – Self Driven, but mostly with a full load of passengers & luggage
  • Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family – Only me
  • Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
1st – Effortless Performance
2nd – Top Notch Safety Features
3rd – Rear Seat Comfort
4th – Good luggage space
  • How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) – Till the warranty expires – Approx 5 years, since I will take extended warranty
So, please provide me a solution. Also, some clarity on the type of insurance and the reliable fuss free insurance service providers from whom this ought to be taken will be of great help.

Thanks a lot for the patience in taking time and reading my very lengthy query. And, thanks in advance for taking your time off to reply to my queries.

Last edited by Surya-TJet : 2nd July 2015 at 20:55. Reason: Some gibberish appeared around each sentence. Wrong formatting. My bad..!
Surya-TJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 23:09   #92
BHPian

Skoda Rapid or Volkswagen Vento - which one to buy?

Hello Guys,

I own a Santro GLS for 7 years, have driven 80,000 kms and have aggressively started to think about upgrading in the month of November/December 2015.

Initially I thought of upgrading to SUV (Duster/Terrano) looking at their bulky appearance and the high ground clearance those vehicles offers. But after reading reviews in team-Bhp i got convinced that i should buy only a sedan that gives me excellent ride handling and comfort. it is also for the reason that the vehicle is for a family of 3 and rarely 5.

My expectations are as below:
It should be diesel MT with excellent BHP and torque
High speed braking should be fantastic.
On the road cost should not be more than 12L
Should provide excellent ride handling comfort, stable cornering
of course high ground clearance but unfortunately could not find one in sedan
airbags in the front seats
refined engine
ABS
Solid build - particularly the thud sound action of the doors
Superior suspension set up
Less noise vibrations in the cabin
Enough space/legroom at the front and rear.
Quality interiors
Bigger boot space
Light clutch as i have joint pain in the leg(but my mind does not allow me to go for AT as i feel i will miss the MT drive)
ASS should be at least to the normal expectation if not great.

Below are the options i have considered after reading team Bhp reviews but have not done a test drive yet.

Honda City: Overall looks good in terms of appearance, space, mileage, fuss free ASS but got dropped from my list as the engine is not so powerful, skinny tyres that looks awkward and i do not like the thick chrome at the front.

Skoda: have read about Scary ASS of Skoda, wanted to understand from you if they have improved or not.

Ciaz: Projector headlamps, a lot other features, Maruti's excellent ASS made me think about Ciaz but I am not for the 1.3 L diesel engine. Though ciaz is going hybrid, I believe engine is going to be the same 1.3 L diesel and hence a big "NO" from my end.

Vento: I am craze of Vento since the time it got launched and my head never miss to make a turn whenever I see a Vento on the road. Vento meets all my expectations, its a strong contender and I am fine in spending more for one service in a year (and using Synthetic oil) which in other cases i will be spending for two service in a year. hence I think the service cost will get offset over there.

My area of concern in case of Vento: While i agree that cost of spares will be relatively higher for a German Volkswagen but I am afraid on reading certain user reviews that cost of spares is very very huge. Example i have read that cost of clutch plate replacement alone will cost 50-60K. how is that possible. How can that exceed 25-30K rupees for a clutch replacement. Another thing that I want to understand is how good is the clutch play - is it too hard or is it normal. Can any Vento user comment on their experiences, in terms of cost of spares and quality of ASS.

While I know that I definitely need to spend more if need a solid built German build vehicle - Volkswagen but at the same time i am willing to spend unrealistic expenditures for the sake of my craziness on German build vehicles.

Also I understand that Rapid is a close competitor to Vento with similar quality and performance together with a better value for money and priced relatively low compared to Vento. I am confused and definitely need your views and suggestions. Thanks for taking time to read my post, waiting for your expert suggestions,

Regards
Anandh.
Old 27th August 2015, 11:17   #93
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid or Volkswagen Vento - which one to buy?

The Vento and Rapid is basically the same car, made in the same factory. Only changes are to the front, rear, dashboard & trim levels. The Rapid is a rebadged Vento (pretty much like the Terrano is a rebadged Duster).

Both the Vento & Rapid now come with a Diesel Automatic & I believe this is the way to go, even if it marginally exceeds your budget. The DSG is a pure joy to have.

Hope this helps
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 14:07   #94
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid or Volkswagen Vento - which one to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post

My expectations are as below:
It should be diesel MT with excellent BHP and torque
High speed braking should be fantastic.
On the road cost should not be more than 12L
Should provide excellent ride handling comfort, stable cornering
of course high ground clearance but unfortunately could not find one in sedan
airbags in the front seats
refined engine
ABS
Solid build - particularly the thud sound action of the doors
Superior suspension set up
Less noise vibrations in the cabin
Enough space/legroom at the front and rear.
Quality interiors
Bigger boot space
Light clutch as i have joint pain in the leg(but my mind does not allow me to go for AT as i feel i will miss the MT drive)
ASS should be at least to the normal expectation if not great.
If you don't mind doing it, try a TD of Ford Fiesta and I'll wait for your response here. For me, it drives better than both the city and the ciaz. Features are on-par with any car in segment except rear air-con.

If you can live with poor resale value and hatch like back seat space, FF is the car to beat in the segment. An added advantage will be the exclusivity it offers

P.S. Try and you might get an on-road discount of close to 1L.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:45   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

So there is a good possibility that our current Etios D might be seeing a new role, and there is an opening for a new car.

Requirements are:
- Rear seat space & comfort: Should accommodate a 6' person, who is in his mid-sixties. Will also be used by elderly relatives every once in a while. Low cars where one has to bend down to get in are ruled out (i.e: half of the segment)

- easy to maintain & reliable: Car will see 3-4 drivers, and will complement the ageing german/pseudo-german trio at home, so reliability and ease of maintenance is very important! Will be the vehicle of choice when going to areas with poor parking, etc. so don't want something that would be expensive to repair or one that would require frequent visits to a below-par workshop.

- Good ride quality in the city: Should be able to gobble up bumps and undulations. Will rarely see the highway, so high speed stability isn't important. The etios was fun-to-drive which was an added bonus.

- Basic safety equipment: including speed sensing door locks.

Performance isn't important, neither is outstanding handling, and as long as basic features are in place - we aren't too fussy about touchscreen audio and such either.
The etios twins were perfect for these requirements, but as the Liva turns 4 this year (with 60Kkm of use), we are thinking of replacing it, and would like to explore other options (don't want a third Etios/Liva in the garage, though we are very happy with the car).

Would prefer Diesel.

Heart says: Forget these requirements - pick up the Fiesta D/Classic 1.6

Mind says: Another Etios?

What other options are there? Open to the pseudo-SUVs (EcoSport, Duster 85, etc.) as well. My take on the segment is as follows:
- Honda City - ideal replacement but over-priced, noisy, low rear seat (deal breaker)
- Nissan Sunny - If only the rear seats weren't low. Service?
- Hyundai Verna - I'd go ahead with the Fiesta over this. Any day, any time.
- Duster 85 - overpriced, but perfect. Service?
- Ecosport - the perfect mind/heart mix?
- Rapid / Vento - not comfortable dealing with VWAG Service Centres anymore. Highly incompetent, but definitely a good all-rounder.
- Ciaz - turbo lag and low rear seats spoil the party
- Linea - a good all rounder, but service and quality headaches? Turbo Lag is another issue.

EDIT: Would love an automatic, but given that nothing in the segment is either comfortable (Verna), or reliable (Skoda/VW) - happy to stick with manual. Similarly, given piece of mind is a big requirement, would want to avoid pre-owned.

Last edited by lamborghini : 3rd September 2015 at 15:48.
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:16   #96
BHPian

Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
My take on the segment is as follows:
- Honda City - ideal replacement but over-priced, noisy, low rear seat (deal breaker)
- Rapid / Vento - not comfortable dealing with VWAG Service Centres anymore. Highly incompetent, but definitely a good all-rounder.
- Linea - a good all rounder, but service and quality headaches? Turbo Lag is another issue.
Linea MJD perfectly fits the bill here. I am owning one and I can surely say that the "Turbo lag" is highly overrated. It was there for the first 1000 Kms or so but after that, the car is butter smooth. Also, Fiat has issued a ECU update to all new linea MJDs (I guess cars manufactured after June 2015 are factory updated with this) which help kick the turbo at as low as 1200 RPM.

Rest of the parameters like build quality,handling, driveability, comfortableness etc, no need to look elsewhere. Even the service interval is 1 year or 15,000 kms. Considering your budget, its a real VFM proposition.
vinit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:27   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit View Post
Linea MJD perfectly fits the bill here. I am owning one and I can surely say that the "Turbo lag" is highly overrated. It was there for the first 1000 Kms or so but after that, the car is butter smooth. Also, Fiat has issued a ECU update to all new linea MJDs (I guess cars manufactured after June 2015 are factory updated with this) which help kick the turbo at as low as 1200 RPM.

Rest of the parameters like build quality,handling, driveability, comfortableness etc, no need to look elsewhere. Even the service interval is 1 year or 15,000 kms. Considering your budget, its a real VFM proposition.
Vinit, as a Mumbai resident - how is the dealership in terms of response and service?
I have only seen Torrid Fiat dealership - and the name does not inspire much confidence
I actually really like the Linea as a vehicle, but I was hoping to get an Abarth Punto in a year or two Not sure if i can handle multiple Fiat's in the garage, but I will definitely take a TD - the ECU update makes it a worthy contender if it helps mask the turbo-lag.

Thanks!
Old 3rd September 2015, 16:58   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Requirements are:
- Rear seat space & comfort:

- easy to maintain & reliable:

- Good ride quality in the city:

- Basic safety equipment:

Would prefer Diesel.

Heart says: Forget these requirements - pick up the Fiesta D/Classic 1.6

Mind says: Another Etios?

What other options are there? Open to the pseudo-SUVs (EcoSport, Duster 85, etc.) as well. My take on the segment is as follows:

EDIT: Would love an automatic
Apart from another Etios, the Honda Jazz is the only car which fulfills all your criteria. If you can bear the diesel clatter of the liva/etios, I don't see why the jazz should be an issue. It is meant for tall, elderly people and is easy to maneuver in the city. You can even go for the CVT if you so wish.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 17:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Vinit, as a Mumbai resident - how is the dealership in terms of response and service?
I have only seen Torrid Fiat dealership - and the name does not inspire much confidence
I actually really like the Linea as a vehicle, but I was hoping to get an Abarth Punto in a year or two Not sure if i can handle multiple Fiat's in the garage, but I will definitely take a TD - the ECU update makes it a worthy contender if it helps mask the turbo-lag.

Thanks!
R.S. Motors, Kandivali is another Fiat Authorised service center. My experience with Torrid is absolutely neutral, nothing good and nothing bad.

Abarth Punto is expected by Diwali, Hopefully

Enjoy...

Last edited by vinit : 3rd September 2015 at 17:19. Reason: Typo error
vinit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 11:51   #100
BHPian

Apologies for bumping up this thread. I would like to get the help of fellow t-bhp-ians. I am looking out for a new car for replacing my chevy beat diesel.

Below is my requirement criteria,

1) ABS and dual airbags (minimum). Happy if I can get 4 or 6.
2) Good structural strength.(I can say beat has a good structural strength based on my ownership). I don't mean hear a bulky body but by engineering means, If the car can digest any of the hits then I prefer it. I can manage the bills through insurance cover
3) Looking for other than hatchbacks (should accomodate 3, no execuses here) kind of. I know there are couple of hatch backs that can hold 3 in the rear, but wifey wants to try something other than hatch now.
4) Service support should not be a problem. Also I have even have no regrets for choosing petrol over diesel if it can cut my service bills. I am aware that the fuel bills will be high if I chose petrol, but still....
5) I don't mind about how ugly the interiors are. As I believe once you get used with a person, you don't see how bad he/she looks but the character is what you go for. For me the same I see in cars. This is my self opinion and nothing offense against friends who have priority for interiors.

After few rounds of test drives, its now between the etios and ciaz. Ciaz came into the picture because the discounts brought it to Etios pricing. Could any of the owners bring out the pros and cons based on the quality time spent with the car so far? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th February 2016, 13:49   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
After few rounds of test drives, its now between the etios and ciaz. Ciaz came into the picture because the discounts brought it to Etios pricing. Could any of the owners bring out the pros and cons based on the quality time spent with the car so far? Thanks in advance.
Between the Etios and Ciaz, Ciaz is obviously the far superior choice. Etios is a C1 segment car while the Ciaz is a C2 segment one. Unlike popular opinion, the 1.3 multijet in the Ciaz is more than adequate and driving it even in traffic is extremely easy. You have not mentioned your budget, but if you can stretch it a bit, it might be worth a visit to the Chevrolet dealership. The facelifted Cruze is out and you ought to be able to get massive discounts on the pre-facelift Cruze. I wouldn't be surprised if you manage to get a discount of 4 to 5 lakhs also. At the end of the day, all these sub D segment sedans are just as good as their Hathback relatives in terms of quality. A D-segment sedan might only offer a few more features and a bit more space but it still feels far more premium and complete in terms of everything and worth every single penny over a budget sedan, so it ought to satisfy your and your wife's yearning for something different

Last edited by IshaanIan : 15th February 2016 at 13:50.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 14:54   #102
BHPian

Thanks Ishaan. My Budget is just above 10L (only for a very good option, else I like to stick to 10L). I don't want to be a chevy customer after the service experience that I had with them. It was no less than terrible. Even if Cruze is going to be priced less than 10L for sure I won't be buying it. Please note that I might look exaggerating but I am strong with my opinion.
I did checkout on Ciaz. I have again fixed an appointment for tomorrow for a longer TD. Somehow the crash testing report about Etios still lingers around my mind and so I am not willing to discount Etios from option.
Old 15th February 2016, 15:24   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for bumping up this thread. I would like to get the help of fellow t-bhp-ians. I am looking out for a new car for replacing my chevy beat diesel.

The Etios is a little under rated. we have a 80K run 5 year old Etios in the family driven by a driver. Still runs perfectly with only the regular maintenance stuff needed. You get a full size, very spacious sedan for the cost of a compact sedan from the competition. The light build perception has been laid to rest with the 4 stars in the crash test. Interiors will not win any competition, but it does get most of the needed features. The Etios Xlusive edition also gets a touch screen system. So you will not be left wanting for features.

Having said all that, the Etios is a 5 year old model with minimal refreshes. And it is pretty much the de-facto car for the taxi segment. So if you can get the Ciaz for a price close to the Etios, then that's the car to go for. It is more modern, better kitted and drives decently. It will feel like a good upgrade.

Since you would like to have more than 2 airbags, if you are ok with compact sedans, have a look at the Ford Aspire Titanium+ which comes with 6 airbags. if you are ok with Skoda, worth looking at the Rapid Diesel also. Big discounts available on the Rapid.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 15th February 2016 at 15:25.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 19:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ishaan. My Budget is just above 10L (only for a very good option, else I like to stick to 10L). I don't want to be a chevy customer after the service experience that I had with them. It was no less than terrible. Even if Cruze is going to be priced less than 10L for sure I won't be buying it. Please note that I might look exaggerating but I am strong with my opinion.
I understand. I was under the impression that Chennai being a metro, would have atleast one dealership/service center that offered a satisfactory ownership experience and that being a previous Chevrolet owner, you would have found it. Simply pathetic. Chevrolet ought to be reading this
Quote:
I did checkout on Ciaz. I have again fixed an appointment for tomorrow for a longer TD. Somehow the crash testing report about Etios still lingers around my mind and so I am not willing to discount Etios from option.
Etios is definitely spacious and safe as I now understand, but that is still in comparison to other cut-price sedans. The Ciaz is superior in every way and is newer and a segment above so it ought to be no contest. Do try the S-Cross as well. It handles better than the Ciaz, comes with a more mature ride quality that inspires confidence on the highways and offers the rough road ability to ease stress on Indian roads. Feels better built as well
Old 1st March 2016, 15:57   #105
BHPian

Need advice and help in shortlisting a new car. The cars are Creta, Ciaz, City, Vento and the Altis. Price is not much of an issue. Should be good for highway as well as city with space for 4 adults and a child. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks