Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 15:11   #76
BANNED

Re: Advice needed urgently. City / Rapid / Vento / Ciaz : petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMKAM View Post
So, to get down to the question.
Is it worth waiting for the Honda City (VMT petrol) or should I go for an alternative (please suggest between Ciaz or Vento) . I need the car by March 2015.
I'd say the Ciaz out of the lot.

Honda City has lost the zing and quality it demanded that held customers come what may but now the dealers attitude is worsening along with the parts quality.

Have you spoken with Maruti dealers for the waiting period for the Ciaz ZXi or ZXi+ variants?

I guess both the Honda City and Ciaz (specially the top-end) are running long in waiting times.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 21:08   #77
BHPian

New C2 sedan advice for a first time buyer

Hi Folks,
This will be my first car purchase in my life. I had small stints of driving my father in law's/father's car. So I am still a learner and my driving is rusty in nature. Monthly consumption is ~1300 with ~50% in Bangalore city. # of folks in the car will be mostly 2 including me. Following are my requirements in the order of priority for a C2 segment sedan (No SUVs or hatchbacks) within a budget of 10-13 lakhs

1. Fun and delightful to drive
2. Safety and comfort for typical occupants of 2
3. Long term durability and reliability
4. Fuel consumption and resale value
5. Gadgetry / extra non-car features

After going through many team-bhp official reviews and ownership reports following are my choices in order.

1. New Fiat Linea T-jet:
Like the looks.
Safety features and
Fun and addictive to drive with excellent handling
5 years warranty and hence I guess it is going to more reliable
Priced reasonably with discounts

2. New Ford Fiesta
Like the looks
Diesel economy
Lots of premium features
Priced reasonably

3. Skoda Rapid DSG
DSG is mouth watering. Don't like the looks of Vento twin

4. Honda City ivtec
Best seller and supposedly reliable eventhough only 40K or 2 year warranty
Excellent city ride
Lots of cabin space
Lots of additional features and intutive controls

Would humbly request your inputs on my choices according to my requirements and suggest if anything else I can consider ?
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: New C2 sedan advice for a first time buyer

From the given status and budget I would buy the Honda City but with the AT gear box.

If I were in your place I would buy the VW Polo GT TSI. Ciao

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Would humbly request your inputs on my choices according to my requirements and suggest if anything else I can consider ?
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:12   #79
BHPian

Linea T-jet , test drive it

+ Superb Engine
+ Unmatched ride and handling package
+ tank like build feel
+ great looks
+ those all discs brakes are really too good.
+ since your running is <1500kms per month, Petrol engine makes sense
+ Hydraulic steering
+ Since most of the time max 2 people are going to be travelling it , the lesser legroom at rear won't bother you.
etc

- lower resale value, so as the Rapid and Fiesta too
- After sales and spares availability, depends on your city. check the linea thread.

Honda City is really good too, except the handling, it's the stupid 175 section tyres. But, even with wider tyres it cannot match linea or Punto's handling and ride package.

Basically, buy the fun car while you are young. you are buying your first car, go for what your heart says...

Also Once a Fiat, always a Fiat !!

This is for a new car, but since you are still learning to drive, I'd recommend you buy a used (pre worshiped) car. you can get NHC, Corolla, linea for 3-4 L. Sell it after 1 year without loosing too much money.
My choice would be NHC.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:15   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
AT gear box.
+1
1300km monthly running with 50% in B'lore traffic, you deserve an AT buddy. Out of your selection either pick Honda City AT or Rapid DSG.

Or if you prefer MT, the other 2 cars that your mentioned (T-Jet & Fiesta) will have a tough selection war. Ford wins when the preference is towards better A.S.S and Linea T-Jet will steal your hear if you could compromise on A.S.S part. That will keep you smiling whenever you are behind the wheel.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:25   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
This will be my first car purchase in my life. I had small stints of driving
I would suggest you to either go for Linea Tjet or New Fiesta. I own both the cars (mine is a 2009 Linea 1.4 NA) and Linea will easily trump all other cars in your list when it comes to build quality, Honda City is not even a match for it. It has a very good ride quality, good 5 year warranty package, handles nicely and still looks gracious though it has started looking a bit aged. Fuel efficiency will be low with Tjet and it is a pretty long car so city driving is a bit cumbersome. Resale value would be low since it is a petrol Fiat and after sales though still better than Skoda is still not upto the mark.

When it comes to Fiesta, you will totally love the drive of this car. Engine has a lot of pep in city, has a very fresh face, shortest C segment car and its very chuckable. Steering is just mind blowing and handles even better than Linea. Rear seat space would not matter to you. It will also deliver you fantastic fuel efficiency + it is a diesel so double savings for you. Ford India's service is miles better than Fiat and on Fiesta also you can get 5 years warranty. There are a lot of gadgets bundled in and it is priced very reasonably. Service costs would be 3-4k every year.

Avoid Skoda, i own a Vento as well and VW/Skoda are not for first time buyers. You need to be a very informed owner to live with these brands, service costs would be highest with Rapid to the tune of 9-10k every year.

I have never really liked City so would not comment much, for me this car is a mind decision when it comes to heart v/s mind. Could never connect with the car during whole test drive, after owning european brands, i do not think i would ever get back to Japanese cars, they may be much more reliable with great resale but just do not pull those strings at heart
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:29   #82
BHPian

I request you to wait for the launch of Ford Aspire and consider the same if it satisfies your requirements. Though it cannot be compared with the above list as they are one level higher, but there is a possibility that Ford Aspire might surprise everyone.

Last edited by Grand Drive : 3rd April 2015 at 23:34.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:42   #83
Team-BHP Support

Rapid DSG if diesel / automatic. Linea TJet for petrol.

Both these cars can put a nice wide smile on your face.

Being a Punto owner, I can vouch for FIAT service in Bangalore being something you could easily live with. However- with 1300 kms per month projected usage and 50% of it being within Bangalore City itself- I feel it is best to get the diesel DSG instead of the petrol manual TJet.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:47   #84
BHPian

My two cents worth:

I would suggest the Ford Fiesta out of the cars you have shortlisted.
Though Linea T-Jet is one hell of a car, but considering your monthly odo figures, it might turn out to be a bit heavy on the pocket.

I would also suggest you look at the the Ford Ecosport. Both, the Fiesta and Ecosport are very competent products and have some good equipment.
Fiesta scores higher with better suspension and fuel economy as compared to Ecosport.
I own an Ecosport and can tell you that it does command some amount of respect on the road due to its imposing front. You sit a lot higher than the sedan and have good frontal view.

Hope this helps..
ObsessedByFIAT is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 07:20   #85
BHPian

Is there any particular reason you want a sedan? Unless a large boot is required regularly, I wouldn't go for a sedan, that too a mid-sizer.

The current breed of sub four metre sedans are quite boring, so I wouldn't consider them either.

What your left with is hatchbacks and compact SUVs.
Among the hatches, the Polo GT TSI is a car an enthusiast would really crave for. You could wait for the Punto T jet, but the brilliant package could be let down by poor fuel efficiency.

You could consider the Ecosport as well. Though the Ecoboost is said to be the enthusiasts choice, you may like the diesel as well. In the end, it all boils down to personal choice. It does have the looks and the presence and you'll look like a very cool youthful dude in it!

Happy shopping.
Turbo_asd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 08:23   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly different perspective. You have mentioned your driving is Rusty and still a learner. In such a situation, I would not advice buying a new 12 lakh sedan at the first go, that too in Bangalore traffic. I would first suggest buying a small 2nd hand car like the alto, user it for 6 months to a year, get comfortable driving a lot, get a better picture on your expectations and then spend the money on a c2 sedan. As all ready recommended an AT is the way to go.

From your list, all the cars will satisfy your requirement to a great extent, so it will be mostly a matter of personal preference.

For a manual, my personal choice would be the tjet followed by the fiesta.
For an AT, the most fun to drive choice will be the vento tsi AT. Although it is not in your list, would suggest a TD to get a feel of the tsi+ dsg. The rapid petrol does not come with the tsi or dsg. So going for rapid means it will have to be a diesel. This and the Honda city CVT would be your top choices for an AT. There is a rumor about the fiesta AT. That would also be an ideal choice.

Happy hunting.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 16:20   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A few thoughts:
  • Still a learner means I would suggest you to stick to MT options. If you start with an AT, moving to the other side later will be a hard task (the opposite is comparatively easier.
  • The first two options fits your requirements perfectly except for the second part of the 4th requirement i.e.; resale value.
  • In my opinion, it’s always nice to start with a good driver’s car where in you’ll appreciate the finer aspects of driving.

Considering the above, my suggestions would be the Fiesta or the T-Jet. Alternately, you may also consider the Polo GT TDI.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th April 2015 at 16:22. Reason: Quoted post added
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 17:40   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks,
This will be my first car purchase in my life. I had small stints of driving my father in law's/father's car. So I am still a learner and my driving is rusty in nature. Monthly consumption is ~1300 with ~50% in Bangalore city. # of folks in the car will be mostly 2 including me. Following are my requirements in the order of priority for a C2 segment sedan (No SUVs or hatchbacks) within a budget of 10-13 lakhs

1. Fun and delightful to drive
2. Safety and comfort for typical occupants of 2
3. Long term durability and reliability
4. Fuel consumption and resale value
5. Gadgetry / extra non-car features
Personally, keeping your requirements in mind, I would actually urge you to check out a compact SUV, like the Ecosport out first.
Not only are the dimensions compact, but given how popular the model is, resale would be good too. It also meets all your criteria, but the compact dimensions and better visibility (from higher seating) would be a boon for a new driver.

After this, I would list the Fiesta - as it meets all your requirements to the T. I am placing this over the Linea simply because the service is better, as are the ergonomics.

The Rapid, and Honda City are the no-brainers in the segment, but neither will be as fun to drive as the Fiesta and Linea. They will offer better resale value, and in the case of the city more features (at a price of course) - but if you want to have a smile on your face every time you step out of the gate, the Fiesta and Linea are far ahead!

I am not too excited by the second hand route as changing again after a few months is a hassle, and since you are not very experienced - you might just end up with a lemon. Instead, might make sense to invest in a smaller sedan to use for a few years until you get comfortable. Ideally if you can get your hands on the Fiesta Classic 1.6 Titanium - that would be ideal. One of the most fun cars you can drive within your budget - superb steering and ride/handling balance, good reliability, fantastic engine, and the excellent visibility and tough nature is a boon for new drivers etc. It may not have the most features or a good resale value - but at the asking price, the car is very very good VFM and offers most of today's features. You can always upgrade to a better touch screen sound system, leather seats, etc. with the amount saved too!
Personally, I would love to bring home a Classic 1.6, and deck it out like the 1.6S + a few modifications. If only!

Last edited by lamborghini : 4th April 2015 at 17:47.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 19:05   #89
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest the following.
1. Get a small second hand car, Alto is ideal. Use it for six months to a year and then buy a new car.
2. Start with an MT. Once you have mastered the MT in B2B traffic, then switch to Auto transmission. As commented if you start with Auto, you may never be able to drive MT.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 14:47   #90
BHPian

Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

@All. Thanks for your specific inputs for my requirements. I will get back once I made a decison

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks