Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 13:46   #136
Team-BHP Support

speedy - lamborghini mentioned in his earlier post that the rs combi is now discontinued.
Old 25th September 2007, 19:15   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

@ROC - we need a station wagon or something of the likes for the dog. No other reason for the Octavia Combi. Guess we would have to go for the LnK only but ill still look around.
Any new station wagons/non gas guzzling compact SUV's such as the CR-V coming?

@speedy - RS is now discontinued. Guess the boy racer in the family is the OOHA (2001 Accord).

@ROC & Speedy - The corolla has given us a lot of problems. We've spent a considerable amount of money on that car. The suspension is too flimsy. A taxi dented the front bumper and the whole suspension went haywire and was eating into the tyres, forcing us to replace the tyres 4 times in 4 years. The Toyota people had no idea as to what was wrong with the suspension and as a last resort, we had to go to a locar garage who solved the problem at 1/10th the price Toyota was charging, even though they couldn't fix it.
recently, at about 50kkm, mostly on decent mumbai roads, the AC conked off and the stowage panel above the ashtray has come lose. There are some rattles and when one tries to open the front seat armrest in order to put something in it, it feels really delicate.
Apart from the engine and the space, i really don't see anything else that i like about the car. Maybe the discounts. I sure as hell hope that the new/current gen of corolla's are better.
Old 25th September 2007, 20:02   #138
Team-BHP Support

what about a Tuscon or a Vitara ?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:24   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Tuscon - It's quite expensive and I am not too fond of it.
Vitara - FE! the car is good but the interiors could be better. So could the space.
The old CR-V and the Skoda Octavia combi are some of the cars that could actually fit a full grown German Shepard in.
Doubt the Vitara and Tuscon can?
BTW - Is the Tuscon still in production?
Old 25th September 2007, 20:43   #140
Senior - BHPian

Just curious... did you look at the Safari? The new one with the 2.2L engine might fit the bill.
Old 25th September 2007, 21:26   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The corolla has given us a lot of problems. We've spent a considerable amount of money on that car. The suspension is too flimsy. A taxi dented the front bumper and the whole suspension went haywire and was eating into the tyres, forcing us to replace the tyres 4 times in 4 years. The Toyota people had no idea as to what was wrong with the suspension and as a last resort, we had to go to a locar garage who solved the problem at 1/10th the price Toyota was charging, even though they couldn't fix it.
recently, at about 50kkm, mostly on decent mumbai roads, the AC conked off and the stowage panel above the ashtray has come lose. There are some rattles and when one tries to open the front seat armrest in order to put something in it, it feels really delicate.
Apart from the engine and the space, i really don't see anything else that i like about the car. Maybe the discounts. I sure as hell hope that the new/current gen of corolla's are better.
thats something very new i heard about the corolla, thought that it was a reliable car made to last long.., IS TOYOTA HEARING???
Old 25th September 2007, 22:31   #142
BHPian

Hey Lambo - How about the Captiva? One of our freinds own a Chevy dealership and he drove the truck a few weeks ago at their plant and said it was fantastic to drive. It has a modified optra crdi engine pumping out a healthy 150bhp and is generous on interior space which would be perfect for the pooch. I know car magazines are reporting the price points at 20L but according to the dealer, the car will start between 14 and 15 and should be expected end november or early december.
Old 26th September 2007, 07:23   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

@ROC - We aren't looking at something too big right now. Want the driver's to get used to the size. Also we don't want to be a part of TATA's R&D dept and further ruin the safari name in the family (our company had one and it was high on maintainance). Maybe later on. I'm in love with the car though.

@vcash - Is the end nov/early dec launch date fixed? We don't want the dog to get too big. Also, i think they would rather launch it in 2008 instead of now as year end demand isn't a lot.

@beanstalk - even im surprised. Didn't expect this out of the corolla. It's like just when we thought that the problems stopped, the a.c. conked off, the tyres started getting eaten again from inside and the panels became loose.

Last edited by lamborghini : 26th September 2007 at 07:24.
Old 26th September 2007, 10:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

lamborghini that is something new that i have heard too. i never has these complains on my cars. the old corolla and the new one. i think you should write a letter to corolla india and let them know of your griviences.
i dont have a pet so i would not know a 100% but seeing my friends with their pets and what they say, i understand that the combi or a closed rear car (no windows) makes the animal uncomfortable and stresses them out.
you could just get a normal sedan and you get the mats for pets so that the hair does not stick to the seats when they shed.
Old 26th September 2007, 22:54   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Speedy,
IMHO it would be better to have them in the back of a station wagon as if they would be a bit more uncomfortable in the back seat of the car as the don't get proper head room. Also, by keeping them in the back seat, with the windows open, there is a chance that they would stick their head out and a flying particle may hit their eye.
It is recommended that they sit in a car with the windows up or with the windows open just a bit.
Old 26th September 2007, 23:16   #146
BHPian

Lambhorgini

As you can tell from my avatar, I have a large German Shepard - he weighs 55 kgs now, is 4 yrs old (had him since he was 7 weeks old!). I take him in the back seat of my Merc, his loves putting his head out the side window which I keep partially open. Unfortunately, the slobber makes the partially open window wet and messy!

I think a SUV or a station wagon would be actually more comfortable for him, since he can have more room and will not be therefore sitting on a seat. Just be careful not to hit the break suddenly, this could be dangerous for the poor guy. When I return to India (he is already with my parents in Hyderabad), I plan to get the new Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor.

Cheers

Nattusbs
Old 28th September 2007, 06:23   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

@nattusbs - Thats the reason we're looking at a station wagon/SUV instead of a hatchback or just a regular sedan.
Old 28th September 2007, 10:29   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@ROC & Speedy - The corolla has given us a lot of problems. We've spent a considerable amount of money on that car. The suspension is too flimsy. A taxi dented the front bumper and the whole suspension went haywire and was eating into the tyres, forcing us to replace the tyres 4 times in 4 years. The Toyota people had no idea as to what was wrong with the suspension and as a last resort, we had to go to a locar garage who solved the problem at 1/10th the price Toyota was charging, even though they couldn't fix it.
The Corolla is supposed to be the epitome of reliability amongst cars and I own one as well. I never had to bother about anything till now and everything performs as it should...touch wood !! The 2006 Corolla has modified suspensions along with tubeless tyres. I agree the build could be better though but its is still not so bad as your experience suggests.

Maybe you were one of the unlucky ones to get one of those one-in-a-thousand defective piece which is not unnatural even with the best of brands.
Old 28th September 2007, 11:26   #149

Yeah I would second sami..Never had any problems till date..approaching 10k on my Corolla '07. Suspension is lot better than the '03 model and it glides past roads even with small pot-holes.

And yeah I wont lose my sleep too much about picking up a lower segment car if I have a CLK or a 911 sitting in my garage already!
Old 29th September 2007, 00:55   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

It may be the epitome of reliability and i wouldn't mind a few problems here and there but the simple fact that a Toyota Authorised Service Station themselves could not fix the suspension just dissapoints me.
Also, i have seen the insides of the rear tyres getting eaten up in many Corollas. Not only ours so i don't think ours would be a defective piece.
The build quality is bad, atleast on the 2003 - 06 Corollas. Heck in my friends corolla, you can actually see panel gaps between the cars OE music system and the dash surrounding it. Maybe it is better on the new ones.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks