Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2007, 00:31   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

tsk - the CR-V comes in Auto but we aren't looking for a SUV or any high vehicle. Also, at 22 -23L its a bit expensive.
Dad would rather get the Camry.
Old 7th June 2007, 00:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will look at the Optra too
The 1.8 comes with AT, has good visibility, decent boot and visibility is very good. Seating is comfortable for 6 footers, and it has ABS, Airbags, Sun Roof, Lumbar Support, 5 CD Changer, Fog Lamps(Civic S doesnot have) Audio mounted controls on steering, leather seats, Electric folding mirrors(Octavia doesnot have) Chilled Glove box, 15inch alloys.

On the negative side is the engine could do with few more horses at high revvs but the torque is sweet. And most importantly its going to give you not more then 7 in any condition, the AT has very poor FE.

Is FE a concern?

Does it have to be a petrol, the Optra is going to get a state of the art diesel better then that of the Laura, and with petes its going to whip even Mercedes C220CDi's in straight line drag.

If you are going to get the car later then why why why a auto, since you in your learning phase its better you drive a Manual so you can learn better.
Old 7th June 2007, 00:38   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

BUSA - i'll be learning in the Fiesta.
FE doesn't matter much as the car would be doing only around 500kms a month.
But if it is a diesel, then def. more.
Will be looking at the Laura and the Optra and the corolla as well tomorrow.
When is the diesel Optra expected?
Old 7th June 2007, 01:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
BUSA - i'll be learning in the Fiesta.
FE doesn't matter much as the car would be doing only around 500kms a month.
But if it is a diesel, then def. more.
Will be looking at the Laura and the Optra and the corolla as well tomorrow.
When is the diesel Optra expected?
If FE doesnot matter then is 6-7kpl ok with the Optra AT?
Diesel Optra anytime next week.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Err 6 - 7kmpl.
I would doubt that.
Around 8kmpl would be acceptable.
Looking forward for the diesel Optra.
Old 7th June 2007, 01:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payam View Post
as you prefer automatic i think honda civic is the best option.the automatic civic comes with the paddle shift which is the new experience.smooth engine,fun drive and gorgeouse look.
Paddle shift takes time to master... Actually I recently rented Mazda 3 with paddle shift in Dubai, and it was such a pain getting used to, that after a week of driving, I choose just to choose the normal auto vs paddle shift. Even while playing GTR2 with logitech force feedback steering, i havent quite mastered paddle shift yet.
I am not sure if most Civic auto owners end up using paddle shift as opposed to plain auto...
Old 7th June 2007, 01:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Paddle shift takes time to master...
I am not sure if most Civic auto owners end up using paddle shift as opposed to plain auto...
Don't know about you but when I drove the AT Civic, it was a doodle! Had absolutely no problems mastering the paddle shift within a couple of gearchanges, quite enjoyed it.
Old 7th June 2007, 02:14   #23
BHPian

even to me it was quite new and fun and as i said "new experience" .
Old 7th June 2007, 10:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
We had zeroed in on the Civic but when i sat in the drivers seat, i had to push the seat fully behind in order to get comfortable. Also, we couln't see over the steering wheel and that is not a nice thing for my sisters and co.
Finally I found someone who said this! This is how I also felt. I dont know about new leather seats (1.8V), but the fabric seats are not that great.

Civic is a great car but if it falls short of your expectations, then 15Lac (in Bangalore for the 1.8V) is on the higher side. It is a compelling choice because of the Honda reliability so you can always buy it and 'get' to like it.

The only problem with Corolla is that its 'image' has taken a bit of beating off late. It will get worse once they launch the new Corolla esp with models that span several segments. If you dont care about the 'image' then it is a very good choice with very good FE and very low maintenance costs.

I am also looking for an entry level luxary saloon (15-18Lac in Bangalore same as 13-16L in Delhi I think) which is not as huge as Accord. So going for laura elegance mostly (how could they miss out electric ORVMs!!!!!!) I was apprehensive about the diesel engine but it is fantastic. Civic is too fashionesque for my taste and Laura is just right for me ;-)

Laura DSG costs 20Lac in Bangalore. Also it is considered to be very high on maintenance. If you are OK with these issues, go for Laura!
Old 7th June 2007, 11:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

Laura is more solid and on long drives is less taxing. The civic has the paddle shift but really it does thin after a while. Why not the Embera. I found it ok to drive (I drive an RS so am used to a spirited car) not as much fun as the RS but more fum than the Corolla and the rear leg room was great. All the embera is missing is a 6 cyl block. And despite Sam Kapasi's recent escapades with his Verna, Hyundai is known for good A.S.S.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Does Cedia come with AT option? If yes, *drool* *drool* *drool*.
Old 7th June 2007, 12:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nope unfortunately doesnt :(. Only manual.
Old 7th June 2007, 13:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Err 6 - 7kmpl.
I would doubt that.
Around 8kmpl would be acceptable.
My 1.8 gives 9kmpl, in normal City driving conditions with KnN Conical filter, but its a manual, i doubt the AT would give you more then 8 or so.

Quote:
We had zeroed in on the Civic but when i sat in the drivers seat, i had to push the seat fully behind in order to get comfortable.
Read my Test Drive report one year back on the launch date i have complained about the same thing.
Old 7th June 2007, 20:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@Navin - We aren't looking at the Embera as it is too big. We are looking for a small car that can be driven on self in city traffic and is eas to park. We already have a Sonata and an E class in addition to the Accord.
@androdev - The Skoda Laura is quite expensive and the auto costs 20.28L for us OTR and to be really honest, it is simply not worth the money.
As of right now, the decision is moving towards the Corolla but I am not convinced about the suspension after owning a Corolla since the last 4 years. It seems that with most of the Corollas i have seen, there is an alignment problem with the inner side of the tyres getting work out really fast. Also the suspension is quite delicate.
We have also left out the Optra as they have no plans of introducing a diesel optra AT as of now and they cannot confirm if the AT variant would be continued.
Once i have seen all the options, i'll be showing it to my dad, with all the pros and cons and then we'll decide.
Old 7th June 2007, 20:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

I agree about suspension part of Corolla, it needs improvement, but still its better than Civic in beat seat, although front seat won't make much difference. I didn't travel in bad roads where we can find not so comfortable suspension but thats what person told me who works in car plant.

I am also thinking why can't you consider NHC AT (CVT) ... thats good its good too for city use.

Ravi..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed