Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2007, 20:14   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Which Car <13L

Hey guys,
we're looking for a replacement for our 2001 OHA.
Our budget is around 14L and we're looking for an entry level Luxury Saloon as we don't really need another big car in the family.
This rules out the likes of the Accord and Camry gang.
The accord was mainly used by my mom but she's using the Sonata now and this car will be an extra car.
Here are the requirments -
- Safety
- Automatic would be nice
- Easy to get in and out (my mom may use this car once or twice and she has a minor knee problem)
- Easy to drive (Sister's and bua and some visiting relatives may use the car)
- Fun to drive (dad takes the car on self when he goes out in the nights and even i would be using this car once i get my license)
- Good resale value
- Good legroom and trunk space (my dad and me are both 6 footers).

We had zeroed in on the Civic but when i sat in the drivers seat, i had to push the seat fully behind in order to get comfortable. Also, we couln't see over the steering wheel and that is not a nice thing for my sisters and co.
Also the car was horrible VFM
Also, this car may be used to travel to Pune and Shirdi too so it needs a big boot.

Choices are anything below 13L.
My dad wants a Corolla A/T (this would be the second corolla in the family and so i am not keen on it)
I want an Octavia (but it is cramped. Visibility is better than the Civic though)

Any other options? SUVs are ruled out.
Thinking of buying anytime between now and Mid - July.

Last edited by lamborghini : 6th June 2007 at 20:15.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:34   #2
BHPian

as you prefer automatic i think honda civic is the best option.the automatic civic comes with the paddle shift which is the new experience.smooth engine,fun drive and gorgeouse look.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:42   #3
BHPian

Lambo,
I would suggest you Honda Civic or Laura (Elegance). Take the second one and save some bucks on fuel every time....

Cheers,
Jai
Old 6th June 2007, 20:43   #4
BHPian

Optra 1.8 ? dont know much about the car honestly, but might fit your requirements..it has an auto transmission option too right ?
Old 6th June 2007, 20:44   #5
BHPian

actually Laura sounds really good.. Forget my previous suggestion..hehe..
Old 6th June 2007, 20:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

nevertouchme,
we aren't looking for a second hand car as the car would be in the company's name and i don't think depreciation is possible if it issecond hand.
Civic seems to be the only option but i just wanted to know if any other cars, even manual, would fit the bill.
Old 6th June 2007, 20:58   #7
BHPian

I did not mean a "second hand car ". May bad, should have mentioned it as buy the later one....

Jai
Old 6th June 2007, 20:59   #8
BHPian

Laura Elegance @ 14.3 Laks with some features like Xenon Lights, Moon roof, 2 air bags instead of 6 and etc stripped.....
Old 6th June 2007, 21:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Check out the Cedia Sports. It has all the features other than resale value. Since there are no cedias on the used car market, no one knows the price of one. You can get one for roughly 10lac OTR or less.
Old 6th June 2007, 21:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey guys,
Our budget is around 14L and we're looking for an entry level Luxury Saloon as we don't really need another big car in the family.

this car will be an extra car.

- Safety
- Easy to get in and out (my mom may use this car once or twice and she has a minor knee problem)
- Fun to drive (dad takes the car on self when he goes out in the nights and even i would be using this car once i get my license)
- Good resale value

My dad wants a Corolla A/T (this would be the second corolla in the family and so i am not keen on it)
Lambo , Dad is right. Looking at your requirements I also was going to suggest you the Corolla Auto, then I saw your Dad had already spoken.

Since this will be a spare car, I say go for the Corolla Auto. And you might get a nice discount from the dealer if you play on the fact that this is your 2nd Corolla.
Old 6th June 2007, 21:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey guys,
This rules out the likes of the Accord and Camry gang.
The accord was mainly used by my mom but she's using the Sonata now and this car will be an extra car.
- Safety
- Good resale value

We had zeroed in on the Civic but when i sat in the drivers seat, i had to push the seat fully behind in order to get comfortable. Also, we couln't see over the steering wheel and that is not a nice thing for my sisters and co.
Also the car was horrible VFM
Also, this car may be used to travel to Pune and Shirdi too so it needs a big boot.

Choices are anything below 13L.
I want an Octavia (but it is cramped. Visibility is better than the Civic though)

Any other options? SUVs are ruled out.
Thinking of buying anytime between now and Mid - July.
Go of Civic Auto. They launched the 1.8V today with goodies. Other option is Corolla Great A/T tranny.

Quote:
i would be using this car once i get my license
I am waiting for the day u get yer license. And if you gonna drive it then go for civic u will look kool
Old 6th June 2007, 22:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Corolla AT is very good choice for you because it exactly suits your requirement except for already you own one

I will pick corolla anyday compared to Civic.

My pick : Corrola AT -> civic AT -> Optra 1.6 top end.

I am suggesting you TD Innova too (this is not because I own it), you can think about it too its really very good car and can be used as MUV.The reason behind this is its really spacious but you can drive it like car even in Mumbai heavy traffic. Once you are used to it you will simply love it.

I don't find any difference between Innova and other luxury cars infact Innova gives more comfort and space. This car is very usefull for week end trip too, If you have already any big SUV Innova won't make sense.
If all your cars 5 seators then Innova or Scorpio or Safari you may think although you have mentioned you have ruled it out.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 6th June 2007, 22:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Laura Elegance @ 14.3 Laks with some features like Xenon Lights, Moon roof, 2 air bags instead of 6 and etc stripped.....
you mean octavia elegance1.9TDI
Old 6th June 2007, 23:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Payam - I think he was referring to the Laura Elegance but that only comes in Manual.
Civic is out. Its too small and too low.
After some discussions with my dad, the car has to be an auto.
Guess its going to be the Corolla AT only now.
Will look at the Optra too. Had completely forgotten about that.
Cheers guys, will keep you updated.
Old 7th June 2007, 00:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Does the CRV come in Auto? Tall designs are easy on knees etc.,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks