Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 00:28   #61
BANNED

buyist view civic all the way.
laura second option good elegance trim should fit in but there is no sunroof in that for sure since someone came up with it in this thread.
lancer since u have one no point again. and btw cedias sell for around 7.5 in used car mart.

overall id pick the civic V spec auto in violet colour. just my view no1 else will agree to this i guess.
Old 12th June 2007, 00:30   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
my therapy sessions did not help and i booked a Laura MT today. I am willing to face the Bangalore traffic torture in return for the occasional highway driving.

Having the same short list as yours (Corolla MT, Laura MT) I booked Laura for the following reasons:
1. I am willing to absorb the cost of accidental spares
2. I am OK to have a two seater backseat
3. I dont want bigger cars such as Accord,etc.

Am I a skoda sales person? No. It is just that Laura is like a nice little house with a good patch of garden in the front, tastefully and elegantly built by people who want to live in it by themselves. You always walk by that house and tell yourself I wish I owned this house. Or you say.. this is such a waste of space.. I could build 20 studio apartments in this area and sell/rent it for a fortune.

I am not saying the rest of the cars are studio apartments. But Laura is definitely like the house that I just described. They are never competetively priced becaue they know their product. That is why they got the most expensive variant Laura L&K DSG first to India and not the stripped down version. In fact I want a car of Gets size that costs 10 Lakhs with all features of Laura. We are not encouraging such products by equating VFM with BHP, Wheelbase, etc

When will my rant end?? Your shortlist of Corolla and Laura is good one. One is an excellent apartment and other is an excellent villa.

But of course dont force Laura on your family
guessing u have got the elegance version right mate does it have a sunroof still ?
Old 12th June 2007, 00:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey jesal,
the Civic is not an option.
It's too cramped.

Does the Skoda Laura Elegance come in Auto?
Old 12th June 2007, 00:52   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Does the Skoda Laura Elegance come in Auto?
No Elegance does not come in Auto. Go for Corolla as this is the only option left for automatic.

Last edited by abhibh : 12th June 2007 at 00:59.
Old 12th June 2007, 11:26   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought L&K instead of elegance. Elegance has a single-CD player without AUX-IN and not easy to 'enhance' the ICE especially because of its on-board computer. I love my music. The upgrade (not the car) seemed like a good 'value for money'. I get the following for a difference of 1.7Lakh (on road price)
1. Full leather (good to have) part leather also looks good.
2. Front parking sensors (very good to have)
3. Electric seats with memory (No big deal)
4. Sunroof (No big deal)
5. Electronic Stability Control (good to have)
6. Xenon (No big deal)
7. Steering audio controls (Very good to have)
8. 6-CD MP3 player (Very good)
9. AUX-IN (Very good)
10. 6 airbags as against 4 (Very good)
11. I wanted black color which is not there in elegance.
maybe more i don't know..

About the Bangalore skoda service (I spoke to few owners here):
1. You have to book well in advance for servicing.
2. The service takes its own time.. if its your only car, it is a pain. Perfect if you have another spare car and a driver to run around for your servicing chores.
3. Skoda insists on 'authorized' parts and consumables (oil,etc.) so you have to keep going to them only.
4. Lot of rural folks buy Skodas and they send their vehicles for servicing all the way to Bangalore and still the service guys dont give a damn :-)
5. But I did not hear of any abuse,etc. during servicing.

I am a bit optimistic about the future.. unlike Fiat and Mitsu.. skoda is selling well.. they are selling more 20Lakh-price cars than anyone else.. so I am hoping the servicing and the spare parts area will become their focus soon. I also heard Skoda will be sharing servicing infrastructure with Audi and VW so maybe things will improve.

Team-bhp made my car selection experience very enjoyable. It has got fantastic people and tons of useful info - a first and the very best on the Indian consumer scene. Be warned though, you are screwed if your budget is flexible.
Old 13th June 2007, 02:13   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
saw the Laura today.
Wasn't as big as i expected and dad didn't like it.
Cost was 21L OTR Company which was way to expensive.
We're now thinking of a Camry AT or a Corolla AT.
Are there any other suggestions in the D segment AT?
Old 13th June 2007, 08:36   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Btw, what is the Corolla AT OTR price after discount, etc? Corolla AT is the sensible choice IMHO - unless you are looking for the "official car of the family" which is usually the best we can afford.

If your budget is in Camry AT range (which is also overpriced in public opinion), there are many more choices I think. It is hard to shop with flexible budget!!!

Yeah.. If I had gone with my family, they would have voted against Laura ;-)
Old 13th June 2007, 11:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
We're now thinking of a Camry AT or a Corolla AT.
Are there any other suggestions in the D segment AT?
New Camry A/T should cost you as much as the Laura if not more IMO.

then you have the Honda Accord 3.0 A/T. But I still would say - Corolla A/T is the way to go.

Cheers
Old 13th June 2007, 17:04   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

@Androdev, the Corolla AT is around 14.6 after discounts, company reg.
@NC - Price is not a problem anymore. I guess dad is willing to stretch the budget to around 30L (he suggested the Camry which is 28L OTR Company reg).
We (as in me) aren't to keen on the Corolla because it will be replaced soon, and the suspension is very flimsy.
As of right now, we have 5 cars at home. They are the -
Merc - which is used by dad. Mix of chaueffuer and self drive
Accord - mom. Only chauffuer
Sonata - Spare/mom
Corolla - Spare
Fiesta - me. Getting my license in a few months

The car used by mom is technically the official family car, i.e, whenever we all go out for a family occasion, we take mom's car as the mer isn't very comfortable in the back seat for 4people+
Now we are replacing the Accord and the Company ikon and we had thought of giving the Sonata to mom and getting a smaller vehicle like the Corolla or something which would be used by everyone.
But now, we are thinking of getting a Camry AT for mom instead and keeping our Ikon as a spare car for everyone to use. And then next year, once the new corolla is out, replace the Sonata or Corolla with the new Corolla.

We aren't to keen on the Accord V6 as the extra power will never be used, the car isn't as safe as the Camry, will be replaced in the next year or two, Doesn't ride as well as the Camry and FE isn't too good either.
Hows the Nissan Teana?

The other option is to keep the Accord for another year.

And now, i am extremely confused!

So these are the 3 options -
Get the Corolla AT.
Get a Camry AT or something similar.
Keep the Accord.

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th June 2007 at 17:06.
Old 13th June 2007, 17:38   #70
BHPian

corolla AT is good, i am happy with mine, but camry is leagues ahead, no point comparing these segments..ones 14l the other is 24+
Old 13th June 2007, 17:49   #71
BHPian

Hey Lambo, here's a curve ball - why not the BMW 320d ? I remember you stretching upto a E270; the move from a Camry to the Bimmer isnt much.

The 3 comes with AT, is as small as a Corolla (I think) and you know how well it drives... Having both a Merc and Bimmer in the same garage would be something, wouldnt it ?
Old 13th June 2007, 19:09   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey ballkey,
i had suggested the Bimmer to my dad but he wasn't to keen on it.
Besides, i think the price is around 37L ish for the diesel and the rear seat isn't one of the best.
We're actually thinking of keeping the Accord for another year till something worthwhile comes out.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately the Nissan xtrail does not come with AT but what about the Honda CRV AT.

Also did you have a look at the newly launched Teana as well.What about the Skoda Superb that could also be a good choice.Personally am not in a position to comment about these cars.

The camry though would be my personal favorite.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 13th June 2007 at 19:16.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:33   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to change the title of the thread for sure.. maybe double the budget

Camry AT is a good stop I think. Nissan teana though very good.. is a bit CEOish car and not family car??. Camry got better a.s.s.

I would either get the new family car, or keep the accord till the next itch - ultimately there should be some excitement in the house when a new car comes, no?

I am sure there is confusion but I hope you guys are enjoying the shopping. Goodluck.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:53   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey rahul,
we aren't looking at SUVs or any vehicle like that.
I plan to look at the Teana and the Skoda Superb.
But as of right now, it seems to be either the new Camry or keep the Accord.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed