Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2005, 01:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
after reading this thread i came to one conclusion. Neither of you are driving my RS! :-)
Dont get me wrong I dont baby my car at 40kmph in city traffic but doing 0-100 in under 10 secs even the car can do it in city is dangerous. I hope it is not you guys i see weaving in and bobbing out of traffic at twice the traffic's speed.

Sorry to be a Party Pooper but guys Drive to Stay Alive.
Navin,
we (at least me..and I believe most of us) are tigers on paper (oops web) here...forget about driving rash...I dont even honk generally and sometimes not even once in a given day..

that does not mean we cannot discuss the car capabilities on this forum...

Yes...do drive on 3 digit speeds on highways but guess there one need to have a sound sense of judgement...if there are not too many trees on either side...it is generally safe as no "hidden creatures" suddenly pop up from behind them
Old 12th September 2005, 18:40   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, just because there are revs left on the meter does NOT mean you can get them. You still need the engine to produce that much power. And at high speeds and in high gears, it's not that easy.
erm...he..he...actually, i did manage to redline the car (my swift) in fourth (6300 r.pm+)- at which point, the car was doing close to 185-188 kmph on the speedo. but since i was too busy smiling, i forgot to take the pic of that one...but yes, under ideal conditions, or under basic ripping, 175 is what most can expect to see- speedo read, of course... i had redlined her on the expressway (not downhill)- so, nobody's going to get that much of road under normal situations....

Quote:
An astounding NO!! The wind factor and higher gearing will prevent it from redlining in top gear. Except for my Diesel Jeep and the Accent CRDI, I have not seen a single car redlining in top gear.
agreed- but both are diesels, and redline in fifth. in fact, even the zen d manages to redline in fifth. but in case of petrols, they redline in fourth, as you already know; and the swift and most petrols (including the vtec and baleno) can redline in fourth- i have done so myself...but, it has to be the expressway..!!

and by the way, the redlining was just a one-time thing. the next sighting of the needle nudging the 185 kmph mark will occur after 5-8000 kms on the odo..... and i shall remember to take a pic (for evidentiary purposes...).

@buffetfan- the baleno does redline in fourth- and the speedo reads in excess of 185; in fact, i think it reads close to 190, if i remember. but then again, those are speedo reads- the actual speed might have been about 175.....same is the case with my swift- a speedo-read 185 would mean actual speed in the region of 170.....

and coming back to the original comparo, i would like to say just what everybody else has said- the vtec is definitely faster than the baleno in stock guise- but mod them both, and the modded baleno would smoke the modded vtec.......
Old 14th September 2005, 01:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@buffetfan- the baleno does redline in fourth- and the speedo reads in excess of 185; in fact, i think it reads close to 190, if i remember. but then again, those are speedo reads- the actual speed might have been about 175.....same is the case with my swift- a speedo-read 185 would mean actual speed in the region of 170.....

Maybe you are correct..the best I have touched is a speedo indicated 176 on the expressway...and it was not close to the redline....the car would have gone more..but...I lifted off since I had two other persons in the car constantly reminding me to slow down .....
since I live in hyd..never got a chance to drive on the mumbai pune expressway after that
.ACI reported 185 kmph in 4th gear around 6200 rpm (Baleno redlines @ 6500 rpm). maybe they has a car that was new
Old 14th September 2005, 01:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
(Baleno redlines @ 6500 rpm). maybe they has a car that was new

doesnt the baleno redline at 6800 rpm ??

Rev
Old 14th September 2005, 03:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy

And leave the figures aside any one who has driven these cars knows. I have both the swift and the Baleno. My cousin has a MPFI esteem which i drive very often.. There's hardly any competition.
Baleno blows both away!
I do not want to debate further. But Jimmy please read my previous thread. When you say that Baleno blows away Esteem and Swift in 0-100, you have not actually done a timed run on all three cars and timed the 0-100 ... have you? Even if we go by ACI, there is very lil to choose between Esteem and Baleno in 0-100 sprint figures, even if one is to agree that Baleno is faster. However the common feeling one gets is, Baleno is way faster than Esteem, and that is due to Balenos higher torque, and relatively short gearing as compared to Esteem.
Thats why I had mentioned that give anyone Accent CRDI and it will feel even faster than Baleno, as due to its higher torque, it will respond better to the gas pedal even in higher gears.
I rest my case, no point discussing further, lets enjoy our cars!
Old 14th September 2005, 12:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
doesnt the baleno redline at 6800 rpm ??

Rev
I will check my tachometer today and double check
Old 14th September 2005, 14:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Vtec is Vtec after all!

Long time observing this thread. This thread seems to be a Baleno lover war!
Firstly it will be really bad to compare a Octavia RS(150bhp) with a Audi TT(180bhp), obviously the latter is faster. Similarly When a Baleno is compared to a vtec the latter is fsater. Vtec is no comparission. Even 2 years after its demise its still one of the fastest cars in our country!

Secondly Esteem and Baleno take just about the same time to 100(Swift no comparision here) But its the Latter which out guns it later. Esteem and baleno both are tall geared and its the Esteem which is slightly more tall geared. Its the Esteems light weight which flips it to 100 along with the baleno but then the 1600cc 16valve All Aluminium Engine producing 94bhp does whip the esteem after 120!

So its( according to who being faster)
1. Vtec
No one to be seen
2. Then the Baleno
3. Esteem
4. .....
18. Swift
Old 14th September 2005, 14:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
18. Swift
Uh .. oh .. you may have touched a raw nerve there ..
get ready for the onslaught
Old 14th September 2005, 17:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
However the common feeling one gets is, Baleno is way faster than Esteem, and that is due to Balenos higher torque, and relatively short gearing as compared to Esteem.
Thats why I had mentioned that give anyone Accent CRDI and it will feel even faster than Baleno, as due to its higher torque, it will respond better to the gas pedal even in higher gears.
I rest my case, no point discussing further, lets enjoy our cars!
Sure we enjoy our cars. Last saturday i was in a situation where i had to overtake 2 trucks and on the right there was also some plastic obstruction. So it was a case of overtaking and in sufficient time so as to avoid the obstruction. Decided to try it out..put the baby(baleno) in the 2nd gear and revved it. Went like a bullet and i sneaked one furtive glance at the needle it was 90+ kmph in the second gear(while i was overtaking). I'm sure i must have gone above or close to a 100 in the 2nd gear itself. Obviously i was able to overtake peacefully - with 4 people on board and more than 50 Kg luggage in the boot.

Can an Accent Crdi do that?? I doubt it.

Buffetfan pointed out something on similar lines.

I can tell you one thing- this engine loves to be revved. And no matter how much you abuse the car you still return with fairly decent F.E figures.

As for Esteem i doubt it has the top end Chutzpah(above 120 kmph) to challenge the Baleno.
For the Swift it does better at the top end than the Esteem but is very slow off the block coz of the high inertia.
Old 14th September 2005, 18:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Guys hang on...Let me give my 2cents: Sticking to the topic of this thread, VTec is faster than Baleno in all respects provided the driver knows basic driving skills...i mean starting the car,,,putting in 1st gear so on and so forth......kidding though but true...

Well, someone in the thread mentioned that a modded Baleno would take a modded VTec,,,absolutely incorrect...if similar mods are done on both of them i.e if you increase 20bhp on both the machines there still would be 12bhp gap favouring the VTec...For Baleno to equal VTec it needs 32bhp in comparison to VTecs 20bhp!simple maths,,,thanks for not laughing!!!
VTec vs Corolla...hmmm...something to talk about...Baleno,,naaaa!

Note: Above comments might be biased as the owner of the comments owns a VTec incidentally!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 14th September 2005 at 18:48.
Old 14th September 2005, 19:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, someone in the thread mentioned that a modded Baleno would take a modded VTec,,,absolutely incorrect...if similar mods are done on both of them i.e if you increase 20bhp on both the machines there still would be 12bhp gap favouring the VTec...For Baleno to equal VTec it needs 32bhp in comparison to VTecs 20bhp!simple maths,,,thanks for not laughing!!!
VTec vs Corolla...hmmm...something to talk about...Baleno,,naaaa!
you're right...i almost laughed there...just kiddin', dude.

but seriously, modding a vtec is a serious job, as it's cams and profiles are very sensitive. also, the e.c.m is not that receptive to heavy mods. but, like i said, if we mod both cars equally, (a dohc vtec head in the city, and a dohc head in the baleno, and both getting all the works), the baleno has an extra 100 ceecees, so the baleno will pump out more horsepower; now laying all that horsepower on the road, is a different matter...

vtec vs corolla...no comparison there, buddy- as it is, the vtec suffers from a 300cc deficiency in this comparo- not to mention those 19 horses....add a turbo, and the mighty toyota would smoke a Vrs in a straight line, let alone a vtec.....in a track though, it would be a different story- unless the corolla receives some heavy suspension and mid-chassis mods....

Quote:
Firstly it will be really bad to compare a Octavia RS(150bhp) with a Audi TT(180bhp), obviously the latter is faster.
out here, both the octy and the TT make 150 horses; out there, in europe, both of them make 180 horses, so i guess it could be fair to compare them both; but money-wise, the octy is a much better bet; in india, that is- except for that gorgeous looks and mind-numbing quality, the TT doesn't offer anything more. just imagine, the TT costs twice as much as the octy, for the same performance, and less practicality....

Quote:
So its( according to who being faster)
1. Vtec
No one to be seen
2. Then the Baleno
3. Esteem
4. .....
18. Swift
ha..ha...ahem..the swift ain't that bad, yaar....otherwise i (and many others like me) wouldn't have bought it......but forgive me, i'm partial to all machines, irrespective of caste, creed, company, number of wheels....
Old 14th September 2005, 20:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
but seriously, modding a vtec is a serious job, as it's cams and profiles are very sensitive. also, the e.c.m is not that receptive to heavy mods. but, like i said, if we mod both cars equally, (a dohc vtec head in the city, and a dohc head in the baleno, and both getting all the works), the baleno has an extra 100 ceecees, so the baleno will pump out more horsepower; now laying all that horsepower on the road, is a different matter...
Well, Veyron I agree to a part of what you said about the technical difficulties dealing with Vtecs ecm...but the fact is that if you get it right you dont need a corolla's mill!!! VTecs engine is more advanced when compared to that of Baleno's hence it churns out 12bhp more despite of being 100cc lesser! The fact is that VTec is a sensitively placed technology years ahead of our local mechanics tampering spree due to the moolah it weighs out into and in numbers they exist on roads, but once it loses out its exclusivity in the market and value drops we will see some heavily tampered machines smoking Indian streets coz I know what potential that machine has, being a proud owner of one....Trust me the power delivery and the overall feel of the car is just so incomparable to Baleno any day. I can comment so confidently coz my best friend has a baleno and we swap cars very often,,,mostly on his request though...heheheheee.. We have done ample number of street races and the result has always been in the VTecs favour...power and mileage both actually...But hard core traffic situations baleno has an edge coz of its extremely good low end torque enabling minimal gear shifts...Both are are great cars to sum it all up
Old 14th September 2005, 21:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but the fact is that if you get it right you dont need a corolla's mill
Either you get it right or you blow up that lovely Vtec engine

Quote:
out here, both the octy and the TT make 150 horses; out there, in europe, both of them make 180 horses, so i guess it could be fair to compare them both
I meant get the TT from Europe to india and then! LOL you can tune both! They are meant to produce 200bhp without mods to the tyres, suspension, chassy, etc..

Quote:
ha..ha...ahem..the swift ain't that bad, yaar
Here is the justification!
1. Hate to say this Sonata Embera
2.Octy RS
3. Corolla
4. Accord 2.4 MT
5. Accord 3.0 I vtec
6. Accord 2.3
7. Honda City Vtec
8. Honda City 1.5
9. Baleno
10. Ikon 1.6
11. Palio 1.6
12. Petra 1.6
13. Octy 2.0 MPi
14. Elantra 1.8
15. Esteem
16. Elantra CRDi
17. Toyota Innova VVTi 2..0 Petrol
18. Swift(finally)
Sorry if i missed any!
Old 15th September 2005, 01:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the justification!.......
i'm assuming these are the cars that you like in your order of preference...

but personally speaking, the swift, ikon 1.6, and the Vrs are more of "driver's cars".... if i had to choose, my top 3 would be the above stated cars, albeit in the reverse order- the rest aren't as much fun to mod or drive; except maybe the baleno and the city 1.5......up the ante, and there's the beemer 3-series, porsche......

p.s- under what god's name do you consider the innova 2.0 petrol as an enthusiast's choice..???? given an enthusiast's preference, i would've chosen the mahindra classic, the gypsy, or the endeavour/pajero.....
Old 15th September 2005, 02:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Ok, guys, please check both cars before you come up with comparos like this! Honda City 1.5 Vtec will manage a 16.3 second quarter mile. In stock form, only the Octavia 1.8 Turbo series is in the same league. Baleno is atleast 1 second behind, even in the 100kmph run.

BUT, in-gear acceleration times are quicker by about a second on the Baleno. Reason? The low-end torque.

Yaar veyron, no offense, but don't driver's cars need good stoppers too? Ikon's anchors are bad man, and seems like all the people dying around the place are victims of this fault. No offense dude.

Wolf, try modding your Vtec, and chances are you'll end up with a non-mover. The car is not meant for that sort of stuff. Any good tuner would rather take a stock Baleno than a stock Vtec. Ask Iceman!

FYI, guys, the 'Rolla doesn't need a TC to take on the RS. All you need is a 17" kit and a higher OD, and you can get a 16 sec flat run on the car. The engine is bloody brilliant. Too bad the rest of the car isn't.

Wolfman, when do we meet? My Baleno needs to meet your Vtec!

OT: I'm a great fan of both cars, so this post is pretty much unbiased.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks