Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 02:05   #16
BHPian

Do give a thought about cruze LTZ man. Its good in exterior looks. And its kind of loaded with all the high end features. Plus it suits your purpose.
Skoda is something that is i will never go for after reading about the hassle stories fellow BHPians had.
About sonata do you really want to wait for the sonata when you yourself knows that you are already getting better deals in market than waiting for new sonata.
I would recommend a cruze LTZ . You can go in for 320d but 40pc driven by you window is not letting me do that.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:57   #17

I feel Jetta is the best in this lot. It got the classy look, VW tag and excellent on road presence, amazing safety features, a pretty good engine and an over-all sense of satisfaction when you in the car. You might find the maintenance cost on the higher side. Well, all of the cars listed here, except for Cruze are on the higher side.

Cruze comes with a 2.0 Ltr engine and 150 BHP , amazing interior spacing, amazing engine and pick up that can put other cars in its class to shame. Currently, the resale value for Chevys are not worth mentioning, Servicing is also a problem - not to mention the long waits.

Laura and Sonata are not worth it. Skoda is a ripoff. Buying Skoda vehicles is like getting robbed in the dark. You might want to read this thread before considering buying a Skoda vehicle.

Sonata is from Hyundai and I have never felt comfortable using those cars. So, IMO, you can choose between Cruze and Jetta. I would be inclined towards Jetta. Now it is your call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
I would recommend a cruze LTZ . You can go in for 320d but 40pc driven by you window is not letting me do that.
I thought 320D costs a little more than 20 Lakhs. punitkakri's maximum on-road budget is 20 Lakhs. I thought a 320D costs around 28 Lakhs or so. Not to mention the maintenance charges.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baleno4397 View Post
I feel Jetta is the best in this lot. It got the classy look, VW tag and excellent on road presence, amazing safety features, a pretty good engine and an over-all sense of satisfaction when you in the car. You might find the maintenance cost on the higher side. Well, all of the cars listed here, except for Cruze are on the higher side.
How reliable is the DSG box? Jetta - an over engineered car, over priced car? I would say the total cost of ownership of a Jetta may be higher compared to competition. Of course, not as high as a Skoda.

Quote:
Sonata is from Hyundai and I have never felt comfortable using those cars.
Why do you say so? If it is the Korean tag, then I suggest to read the below link. Hyundai has changed a lot over the years.

Hyundai: America's Most Successful Car Company - TIME
Old 20th February 2010, 09:34   #19
BHPian

Irrespective of whatever car you buy, don't make up your mind before you drive and have a ride in all of them. I would say go for the Jetta, but then again I'd be accused of being biased.

You seem to have a clear-cut idea on what you're looking for in your next car. All of these cars have their own strengths, as rightly pointed out by you. At the end of the day, you should make the call on your own. So enjoy the experience and good luck!
Old 20th February 2010, 09:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
You seem to have a clear-cut idea on what you're looking for in your next car. All of these cars have their own strengths, as rightly pointed out by you. At the end of the day, you should make the call on your own. So enjoy the experience and good luck!
Well said.

And please share your experience and decision making inputs with us.

Last edited by sbraj : 20th February 2010 at 09:51.
Old 20th February 2010, 16:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
As my dear friend of my runs Car Rental Business I get to drive most of the Indian Car's and know there problems as well (Not technical stuff but from Customer point of view)
As I said I am just sharing my experience as user and not Tech-master... you can drive both of them and then make your decision...
As far as upcoming Car are considered I would suggest wait for Maruti Kizashi
Your points about the Cruze and Laura seem pretty valid. With regard to the Kizashi, well i`ll be ready to take the car into consideration only if it launches in time for a mid-may delivery at the max. I need the car by mid-may any which ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
yeah i also know that the new sonata is due for launch.i didn't mention it in this discussion because imho, when its going to be launched is a big question? i think it may be 2011 march/april sadly. and not 2010 for its launch. this car is aimed for USA sales.(sells a lot more there). go to usa website for hyundai and it shows 2011 sonata.
but the question still remains "would you go out and buy the new sonata over say and accord or superb?" can they do what i20 is doing to jazz these days?
I`ve checked out the website of the new Sonata. The car certainly seems desirable enough. Now as with the Kizashi the same problem remains. I need the car delivery by mid-may at the maximum. Also i do believe the new Sonata could be expensive. Please update if anyone has any idea in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-e-ok View Post
Do give a thought about cruze LTZ man. Its good in exterior looks. And its kind of loaded with all the high end features. Plus it suits your purpose.
Skoda is something that is i will never go for after reading about the hassle stories fellow BHPians had.
About sonata do you really want to wait for the sonata when you yourself knows that you are already getting better deals in market than waiting for new sonata.
Well Cruze is definitey still under consideration. Monday is the test drive for all the four cars under consideration. So will reserve further judgements till then.With regard to the Sonata i would say even the current car is pretty competent and would not like to elimiate it from consideration. I would also consider the new Sonata if it launches on time.

Quote:
Cruze comes with a 2.0 Ltr engine and 150 BHP
Laura and Sonata are not worth it. Sonata is from Hyundai and I have never felt comfortable using those cars. So, IMO, you can choose between Cruze and Jetta. I would be inclined towards Jetta. Now it is your call.I thought 320D costs a little more than 20 Lakhs. punitkakri's maximum on-road budget is 20 Lakhs. I thought a 320D costs around 28 Lakhs or so. Not to mention the maintenance charges.
As you rightly pointed out budget is 20 lakhs. But this is for outright purchase. I could consider taking a bit of a loan if i`m totally floored by the car though. However i have one issue. If i`m spending above 20lakhs i can push to a max of 25-26 lakhs and then i would only want to consider BMW or Audi which may not be possile.

With regard to the Jetta, i like it a lot. I like the Cruze and Sonata as well. I`m a little averse to LAura bt dont want to totally elimiate it from consideration without driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
How reliable is the DSG box? Jetta - an over engineered car, over priced car? I would say the total cost of ownership of a Jetta may be higher compared to competition. Of course, not as high as a Skoda.
Why do you say so? If it is the Korean tag, then I suggest to read the below link. Hyundai has changed a lot over the years.
Hyundai: America's Most Successful Car Company - TIME
The article made good reading. It`s really good to see Hyundai coming up in a big way there by using innovative financing strategis. From what i have heard the DSG box is pretty reliable. Pls there is a four year extended warranty. In case anyone has come across any major reliability issues regarding the DSG please let me know. I am also considering the 1.9 Trendline manual as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Irrespective of whatever car you buy, don't make up your mind before you drive and have a ride in all of them. I would say go for the Jetta, but then again I'd be accused of being biased.
Quote:
Well said. And please share your experience and decision making inputs with us.
I completely agree with you guys and thus i am going for a detailed test drive for each on Monday. I`ll share all details when i`m done.

Another thing i visited the Passat i have mentioned in the earlier posts. Now it was a Thane registration. The car seemed fine, but there were couple of issues. There was definite uneven tyre wear. Is it due to wheel alignment issues or could it be something more serious. Also the interiors were black, but the leather seats semed faded. All this in a car which has done just 18,900 kms. It`s a 2008 September registered model.
The guy is asking for 17.5 lakhs. What do you guys think?

Now geeting back to the test drives.
My tentaive schedule for Monday is as follows:
Skoda Laura: 11.00 am
VW Jetta: 12.15 am
Hyundai Sonata: 3.30 pm
Cruze: 5.15 pm

Just want to ask you guys is there a particular order i should follow while testing the cars or my order seems okay. I can still shift the timings. But schedule needs to be finalized by today evening. Please let me know guys.
Old 21st February 2010, 02:03   #22
BHPian

Going a lil but if you have 20L to spend and you would be sitting on the back seat for 60% of time would you mind considering "Toyota Fortuner"

I have driven the car its Huge, Comfertable - i mean you oush the middle row back and make a bed out of it ... As far as driving Fortuner i found it less poweful than Ford Endev. but still road presence is excellent...

I am sorry for going off the topic but this what I feel... I have spent lot of money on my Car for getin the driving pleasure and all but after a hard day at work I like to driven in a Car which is comfertable rather having many funtions and powerfull engine...

You have already planned TD for short-Listed cars if possible take few time out and try out Fortuner as well... As far as Sedan choice is concern I will still suggest Cruze over Skoda and VW for following reasons:

Powerful, Better Looking, Excellent features, Fun to Drive, Low maintain cost (Thanks to GM plans - btw my friend got only 2 year service free 3 years pack which they display over the TV commericials is not valid for Cruze is what we hear from 2 showrooms we went before buying th car)
Old 21st February 2010, 09:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry for going off the topic but this what I feel... I have spent lot of money on my Car for getin the driving pleasure and all but after a hard day at work I like to driven in a Car which is comfertable rather having many funtions and powerfull engine...
You have asked a question that is in my mind since quite some time. My next upgrade/buy would be in the range of 10-20L. And in this range my options are Laura, Jetta, Cruze, Altis, Civic, Endeavour, Fortuner (even Innova, Scorpio also). But I am not able to decide between a sedan and a SUV.

Thus, viraj_s85, I ask you back a question. Why do you say the below?
Quote:
but after a hard day at work I like to driven in a Car which is comfertable rather having many funtions and powerfull engine
Isn't Jetta, Laura as comfortable as Fortuner? In fact, isn't the ride quality of sedans better than that of SUVs? Yes, of course, a SUV has more space, but what about other aspects of comfort?

punitkakri, my apologies for going off topic.
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Going a lil but if you have 20L to spend and you would be sitting on the back seat for 60% of time would you mind considering "Toyota Fortuner"

I have driven the car its Huge, Comfertable - i mean you oush the middle row back and make a bed out of it ... As far as driving Fortuner i found it less poweful than Ford Endev. but still road presence is excellent...

You have already planned TD for short-Listed cars if possible take few time out and try out Fortuner as well... As far as Sedan choice is concern I will still suggest Cruze over Skoda and VW for following reasons:

Powerful, Better Looking, Excellent features, Fun to Drive, Low maintain cost (Thanks to GM plans - btw my friend got only 2 year service free 3 years pack which they display over the TV commericials is not valid for Cruze is what we hear from 2 showrooms we went before buying th car)
First..I`d prefer a sedan over an SUV..simply because i actually dont really have the need for an SUV..I~m not really planning to go on too many long trips as such..Still i`m going to drive the car for around 40% of the time..Well the handling of an SUV cannot really match a sedan....

With regard to the service part you are totally right..the 3 year part is not valid for the cruze as well as the beat....My test drive for the sruze is scheduled tomorrow..lets see how it goes

Quote:
You have asked a question that is in my mind since quite some time. My next upgrade/buy would be in the range of 10-20L. And in this range my options are Laura, Jetta, Cruze, Altis, Civic, Endeavour, Fortuner (even Innova, Scorpio also). But I am not able to decide between a sedan and a SUV.

Isn't Jetta, Laura as comfortable as Fortuner? In fact, isn't the ride quality of sedans better than that of SUVs? Yes, of course, a SUV has more space, but what about other aspects of comfort?

punitkakri, my apologies for going off topic.
For relative strengths and weaknesses of SUVs and sedans

Sedan Strength vs. SUV • Low step-in height.
• Looks more professional
• Handles better

• Better mileage.
• Easy to maneuver and park.
• Low overall height so more mobile in that sense

• Lower center of gravity makes it feel more secure to drive, less of a rollover risk.
• Lower price. You can get a really well-equipped sedan for the same price as a base SUV.

Sedan Weaknesses vs. SUV
• Limited carrying capacity for passengers and cargo.
• Constricted visibility (you can’t see over other cars).
• Fewer all-wheel-drive models.
• Less towing capacity.
• Less ground clearance.

So depending upon your usage..the choice differs.

I would say that Sedans could be almost as comfortable as SUVs..only thing is that space is relatively less.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:19   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Punit,
I have the Laura Tsi and the A/C feels very weak.
So please plan to test the Laura and Jetta at the hottest time of day - also park the car for 5/10 minutes in the sun sometime midway your test drive, and then restart the TD to see how much time the A/C takes to make you comfortable. This is a serious issue...
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Punit,
So please plan to test the Laura and Jetta at the hottest time of day - also park the car for 5/10 minutes in the sun sometime midway your test drive, and then restart the TD to see how much time the A/C takes to make you comfortable. This is a serious issue...
anandpadhye, Huber Optik sunfilm should solve this issue.

See the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1690159-post14.html
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:48   #27
BHPian

The new Sonata looks the most compelling IF they are able to launch it in the next 6 months or so. That car should IMO leave the rest of the cars in your choice range reasonably behind. Here are my two cents on the issue. Try to locate a good used Sonata. I don't think you should have much of a problem in locating one. As many people on the forum have already pointed out, the existing Sonata has a terrible resale value so you should get a good one under or around the 8L range. With that in hand you can possible wait for 6-8 months for Hyundai to launch the new version of the sedan while at the same time driving (or being driven around) in a credible vehicle. If you have to buy new now then I suggest you go with the VW Jetta. Cruze is a head-turner but like you rightly pointed out the back seat (esp. the headroom) is cramped. VW is solid understated car that will get the job done. Laura - don't consider it. I say that even though I myself own a Skoda Octy. It's a wonderful car but with Skoda you live in a constant fear of falling into the A.S.S. mess that they have created for themselves.
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:57   #28
BHPian

punitkakri, my apologies for going off topic.[/quote]

I guess Punit already gave the answer in details with Pro's n Con's of SUV n Sedan

However my suggestion was purely based on personal experience, I never said that Jetta, Laura are not as comfortable as Fortuner... Each car has its Pro's and Con's and definition of comfort may vary from person to person...

Just to give an example:

Recently I went with my friend (Who runs Car Rental Business) for a business meeting with one of reputed Financial institutes having their corporate office at Prabhadevi...

The company is using old Corolla's fleet for their top executives and want to change the vendor so we went their with a proposal.

We offered them 3 cars with same price tag on long term contract basis: Altis, Skoda Acty and Civic

However I was surprised by the gentleman's reply "We have been using Corolla's for last 2 years but our top guys think Innova is the best car to seat in after long day at work and hence we are looking for Vendors who can provide the same to us"

So its all depending upon person to person...

@Punit : I did make some calls to check the launch of Maruti Kizashi there was a mix reply ... but I think Maruti is keeping it as Diwali gift for Indian Market... (not too sure though)
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:44   #29
BHPian

The day started with the VW Jetta test drive at 11.15 am. The car i drove was the 1.9 Comfortline. Mom sat at the back seat. Here are my findings from the test drive.
  • Engine seemed refined enough.
  • The auto gearbox seemed to be working well.
  • The steering felt assured. The handling seemed good.
  • Felt a slight craving for a little more power.
  • Front seat and driving position were really comfortable.
  • My mom felt comfortable at the rear seat as well.
  • The overall ride seemed a bit firm although acceptable.
  • The bottom of the car tended to scrape the really high breakers at Carter road.
  • The car behavior was good over the bad roads. Mom didn`t complain at all.
  • The brakes were extremely good.
  • Cabin felt fairly silent.
  • Lots of cubby holes for storage. Nice touch.
  • Car seems to be put together extremely well.
  • The car had 47,890 on odometer. No rattle at all.
  • A/C was cool though i felt the Music system could have sounded a bit better. It had 8 speakers after all. However in itself the system wasn`t bad.
Overall impression was pretty good. Will also drive the 1.9 trendline tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Punit,
Next up came the Laura Elegance 1.9 A/T at 2.00 pm. post lunch. Mom accompanied me here as well.
  • The car had about 28,790 on the odometer.
  • In many ways the engine response was similar to the Jetta.
  • For some reason i felt some turbo lag which was not that apparent in the Jetta.
  • Felt nosiser than the Jetta.
  • Built seemed good, but somehow Jetta won here.
  • Definite buzzing sound from the left side.
  • Ride was decent and fairly simlar to what the Jetta offered.
  • The A/C definitely took a loong time to cool as rightly pointed out by anandpadhye.
  • The overallcabin quality felt better in the Jetta.
  • Brakes were great.
  • Mom felt fine at the rear.
Overall impression was good. However it needed to be great to stay in contention rimarily because
  • Horrendous after sales service. So to compensate that i needed something mind blowing which didn`t happen.
  • VW as a brand seems better to me. From what i know and have heard VW do not have huge service issues.
  • Skoda is offering only a 2 year non extendible waaranty compared to the Jetta`s 4.
  • The overall build of the Jetta is deinitely better. Thats not to say the Laura isnt good, but Jetta takes the cake here.
So here comes my first decision. Skoda Laura is no longer in contention. I gave the car it`s chance. It had to be something special to overcome the negativity of After sales Service. No offence meant to Laura owners, but between the two i felt that the Jetta was the better package.

Next up came the Cruze 2.0 LTZ manual. Mom in the back seat.
  • The car had about 6216 km on the Odometer.
  • Well firstly great driving position. Extremely sporting interiors.
  • Front passenger space is great.
  • Interior are good looking but the Jetta and Laura interiors seemed to be higher in quality.
  • The glovebox at the top of the dash didn`t shut properly and there was a spacing when it was closed. For a similar one in jetta they had felt lining. The sunglass holder at the top right too seemed lacking in quality.
  • Engine felt a lot more powerful.
  • I felt the clutch was especially hard, in the sense that once it is pressed down it tends to pop up with some force once pressure is lessened. Is it beacuse it is a relatively newer car compared to others or did some of you guys have felt this as well.
  • Huge tubo lag at lower speeds.
  • Gearbox slightly notchy.
  • However at higher speeds the experience increased for the better exponentially.
  • Ride quality is pretty good.
  • Lots of features provided including the sun/ moon roof.
  • Cabin noise was lesser.
  • A/C and stereo were good.
  • Mom was okay with the ride at the back, though she did say that she felt the car roof was a bit lower than others.
  • The handling was decent though the steering felt a little light.
Overall it was good. The city driving can be a bit ardous but the the ride increases with the speed. Turbo lag is a bit of an issue though. Two years warranty on this one. Stays in contention for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
The new Sonata looks the most compelling IF they are able to launch it in the next 6 months or so. That car should IMO leave the rest of the cars in your choice range reasonably behind. Here are my two cents on the issue. Try to locate a good used Sonata. I don't think you should have much of a problem in locating one. As many people on the forum have already pointed out, the existing Sonata has a terrible resale value so you should get a good one under or around the 8L range. With that in hand you can possible wait for 6-8 months for Hyundai to launch the new version of the sedan while at the same time driving (or being driven around) in a credible vehicle. If you have to buy new now then I suggest you go with the VW Jetta. Cruze is a head-turner but like you rightly pointed out the back seat (esp. the headroom) is cramped. VW is solid understated car that will get the job done. Laura - don't consider it. I say that even though I myself own a Skoda Octy. It's a wonderful car but with Skoda you live in a constant fear of falling into the A.S.S. mess that they have created for themselves.
Well i do feel that the Sonata embera`s ibteriors are not as good as the Transform. I'll be relly happy if someone wants to sell the Transform. I`ll try finding it. I'm not totally averse to picking up a new Transform though the test drive is still pending. Well i`m just hoping that somehow a used tranform is up for grabs which i can take up for the time being.
Further comments reserved until i test drive the Transform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85
I guess Punit already gave the answer in details with Pro's n Con's of SUV n Sedan

However my suggestion was purely based on personal experience, I never said that Jetta, Laura are not as comfortable as Fortuner... Each car has its Pro's and Con's and definition of comfort may vary from person to person...

Just to give an example:

-----

So its all depending upon person to person...

@Punit : I did make some calls to check the launch of Maruti Kizashi there was a mix reply ... but I think Maruti is keeping it as Diwali gift for Indian Market... (not too sure though)
I`m hoping the Kizashi makes it in time. Would love to have a greater choice. By the way guys any idea on the Renault Fluence.

The schedule for tomorrow`s test drives.

11.30 am 1.9 Jetta Trendline
2.30 pm 2.0 Sonata Transform CRDI AT

Will update about these once i`m done
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:30   #30
BHPian

just looks at each car in a neutral way. and looks at the features list and compare it.these little things which makes life easy and end of the day make that significant difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks