Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2018, 18:00   #1831
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Log on into Moneycontrol.com and register yourself in the Portfolio Section and feed in all the details like the date of investment, NAV prices, Number of units etc. It would automatically update all your investments on a daily basis. You could add all your FD investments as well.

Its a simple to use tool .

Kaushal.
Thanks for the response mate. I have five monthly SIP's for the past four years. So does that mean that I'll have to enter all the details you mentioned manually? If so it is going to be tedious

Any tool that can extract the data from my account statement?
Old 27th January 2018, 18:47   #1832
Senior - BHPian

No, You just need to search and select the fund, start date, SIP amount, and duration. Everything else is calculated automatically.
Old 28th January 2018, 15:23   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Hi guys, which is the most reliable and hassle-free method to keep track on multiple MF portfolios, all in a single place? I'm kinda tired of logging into multiple websites to keep track of my funds' performance.
I use value research online's portal. It is free.
Old 28th January 2018, 21:31   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Hi guys, which is the most reliable and hassle-free method to keep track on multiple MF portfolios, all in a single place? I'm kinda tired of logging into multiple websites to keep track of my funds' performance.
Over last many years, I tried many portals, and at the end got fedup with flaws + inconvinience here and there with each system.

Finally created my own solution for same. In google sheet, i regularly enter my SIP investment amounts.

To calculate returns (absolute + annual) I have created special formulas in my sheet using Excel XIRR formula. Each month we receive NSDL CAS report mail, i just enter current portfolio value from same to my sheet and it gives me info on absolute + annual returns.

This system works for me because I don't trade in shares, hence not much of data entry needed, it's just SIP and occasional lum-sum MF investment.
Old 29th January 2018, 07:58   #1835
BHPian

I too use money control website for tracking my portfolio. In addition I have their mobile app which helps me get a quick glance on the move.
Old 29th January 2018, 10:09   #1836
BHPian

i too use ValueResearchOnline portfolio and it does a good job for MFs. I dont dabble in stocks and found this sufficient.
Old 29th January 2018, 10:47   #1837
BHPian

New to mutual funds investment and hence a query
1. Anyone using kuvera? Is it advisable to invest via kuvera or invest via fund house website
Old 29th January 2018, 11:37   #1838
BHPian

Hi folks. Suggestion for a Liquid fund to park small amounts for short while? Main reason is not even ROI but some way to keep me from spending it prematurely (which will happen if it remains in bank account .)

Cheers.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:40   #1839
BHPian

Hi,

Has anybody tried equity savings funds?

<From value research> The exact nature of a lot of mutual funds are driven by the structure and rates of the capital gains tax that are applicable on them. The effect can be good, or it can be bad. Balanced funds were supposed to be low-risk alternatives to equity funds, but the logic of our tax rules has meant that equity-oriented ones have become too equity-heavy and risky. However, over the last couple of years, a new type of balanced fund has become prevalent that combines tax efficiency with a more conservative, safer exposure to equities.

So far, these funds used to be known by the rather odd name of 'Equity Income Fund'. Now, under SEBI's 'Categorization and Rationalization of Mutual Fund Schemes', they have officially been named 'Equity Savings' funds. Let's see what's different about these newly named funds, and how they can deliver lower-risk while having the same lower tax liability as the balanced or equity funds that investors are used to. Fund investors know that under the tax laws, capital gains from equity investments are zero if you stay invested for more than one year. At least, that's the status right now, notwithstanding rumours that this could change in the coming budget. To qualify as an equity investment, a fund must invest more than 65 percent of its assets in equity. If the equity exposure drops below this level, then the risk will be lower, but investors will have a heavier tax liability, as for any income fund.

That's the problem that Equity Savings funds solve. They deliver lower equity exposure, combined with the lower taxation of equity funds. They do this by utilising equity derivatives in such a way that the returns are predictable and safe, while the investment is still classified as equity for tax purposes. Therefore, if one creates a balanced fund where some of the equity exposure is in the form of arbitrage trades, then one gets the very useful combination of lower risk and lower tax.

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/....asp?str=35070

Interestingly, if you look at HDFC Equity Savings Fund in the 2008 (US mortgage subprime crisis), the annual returns were -3% compared to most equity funds that would have around -50% or more. Similarly, in 2011, (European sovereign debt crisis), this fund returned around 5% annually when most equity funds would have around -20%. Basically, the average decline seems to be well contained.

https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...chemecode=2374

Any feedback on such types of funds?

Thank you,

Pradeep
Old 29th January 2018, 13:23   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Hi folks. Suggestion for a Liquid fund to park small amounts for short while? Main reason is not even ROI but some way to keep me from spending it prematurely (which will happen if it remains in bank account .)

Cheers.
Try quantum. Quite easy to initiate and redeem. Less hassle as they are direct only from the beginning.
Old 29th January 2018, 15:56   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Hi,

Has anybody tried equity savings funds?

Any feedback on such types of funds?

Thank you,

Pradeep
I was doing the same research a couple of weeks back when DSP BR had an NFO for their arbitrage fund.

As per this ET article, returns of arbitrage funds have been falling over time since the very few arbitrage opportunities are being chased by too many funds/money. Of course, there is a tax advantage angle over Liquid funds. Do you know if arbitrage funds have a exit load? I am still not convinced to switch from liquid to arbitrage schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Each month we receive NSDL CAS report mail
NSDL CAS is a fantastic report
Old 29th January 2018, 17:20   #1842
BHPian

With crude prices firming up and an estimated 3.2% fiscal deficit of GDP, the bond market has been in a turmoil for the past 6 months. Long term debt has an annual return of 4 to 5% and short term around 6%. Dynamic accrual debt funds have around 8% annual returns, but considering the low rated paper they have, what is the point in investing in them -- the whole point about investing in debt is safety, right?

I just hope the debt market turns around. I do have some short term goals that cannot be met with equities and currently I am getting dismal returns.

I was looking at "equity savings funds" in that perspective. These types of funds have 35% or less in debt, 30% in arbitrage, and another 35% in equities. The allocation % of the latter two components mostly vary from fund to fund. Moreover, they are better from a tax angle compared to debt funds. I guess I will do some more research before taking a decision.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I was doing the same research a couple of weeks back when DSP BR had an NFO for their arbitrage fund.

As per this ET article, returns of arbitrage funds have been falling over time since the very few arbitrage opportunities are being chased by too many funds/money. Of course, there is a tax advantage angle over Liquid funds. Do you know if arbitrage funds have a exit load? I am still not convinced to switch from liquid to arbitrage schemes.

Last edited by pradkumar : 29th January 2018 at 17:22.
Old 29th January 2018, 21:34   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

I read somewhere that we can buy Direct Plans via FundsIndia - can anyone confirm this please? I have been using Scripbox, but am very disappointed that these guys have been recommending DSP Blackrock & Axis LT advantage for ELSS funds. I looked through moneycontrol and see these funds are not even in the top 10 for the last 4 years. Yet, Scripbox kind of push it down the customer's throat by not giving option to invest into the performing funds like IDFC tax saver etc.

Any insights from fellow bhp'ians?
Old 30th January 2018, 18:33   #1844
BHPian

Could anyone share their insights on the newly introduced L&T Emerging Opportunities Fund which is opening today and Closing on 12th February 2018.

Considering this to be a new offering, is it okay to invest some money in this fund offering. I do not expect great returns initially , but at least expect not to go negative , . Suggestions .

mjKaushal.
Old 30th January 2018, 19:43   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Could anyone share their insights on the newly introduced L&T Emerging Opportunities Fund which is opening today and Closing on 12th February 2018.

Considering this to be a new offering, is it okay to invest some money in this fund offering. I do not expect great returns initially , but at least expect not to go negative , . Suggestions .

mjKaushal.
I am no expert and usually avoid NFOs. But in this case I am going to invest on the advice of my investment advisor primarily because this fund is focusing on selected small caps and the Fund Managers have a good track record and also corrections if any in near future is likely to happen around budget time and funds deployment would happen after the markets have corrected. In the recent past I also invested in Reliance Capital Builder -IV Series C Fund which also invests in small caps. Too early to say how these funds will perform but I stay optimistic.
Sravan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks