Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 16:20   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Question about Indian Customs and your experience

Quote:
Do we need to pay customs duty on the extra amount above 45,000 (An iphone 6S costs $1000 depedning on GB -64/128) ?
Any first hand experiences would be welcome
Yes , mine 6S was struck at customs for want of Homologation certificate or something which is now mandatory , this was when 6S was not launched in India & my phone was shipped to company address which I had to later get to changed to home address before they released , in case you are getting a single piece it should not be a concern but for a bigger lot without such manufacturer certificates it might create problem. Don't forgot to get it on residential address and as others suggested we now have some of cheapest prices for iPhones worldwide at current exchange rates.
Old 9th February 2016, 06:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

After more than a decade of stay in the US, a good friend of mine is shifting back to India. He wishes to ship most if his stuff back- including beds, couches etc.
Will these used goods still attract customs duties?
Also, what would be the best way to go about the shipping process?
Old 9th February 2016, 08:18   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
After more than a decade of stay in the US, a good friend of mine is shifting back to India. He wishes to ship most if his stuff back- including beds, couches etc.
Will these used goods still attract customs duties?
Hi schakravarthy,

Document in the below link may be useful for you. Go through the same.

Source of this document is from the official website of CBEC (Central Board of Excise & Customs).

http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources//ht...n05feb2015.pdf

Regards,
KK
Old 9th February 2016, 08:55   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Hi schakravarthy,

Document in the below link may be useful for you. Go through the same.

Source of this document is from the official website of CBEC (Central Board of Excise & Customs).

http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources//ht...n05feb2015.pdf

Regards,
KK
Thanks a lot, sir. That is indeed helpful. I've passed on the information to him.
Old 15th July 2016, 19:52   #140

Guys I have ordered a tab from Gearbest

This is what the tracking shows right now

2016-06-28 16:41
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner

2016-06-24 17:32
India, MUMBAI AIR, Send item to customs (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE

How long should this take before its released
Its already 3 weeks since it has arrived
by the way I live in hyderabad
Old 26th July 2016, 14:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocizer View Post
Guys I have ordered a tab from Gearbest

This is what the tracking shows right now

2016-06-28 16:41
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner

2016-06-24 17:32
India, MUMBAI AIR, Send item to customs (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE

How long should this take before its released
Its already 3 weeks since it has arrived
by the way I live in hyderabad
Mine too is stuck at customs here in Mumbai since a week and the status only shows "Held for custom inspection", Which should basically mean the inspection isn't yet done! I had paid 100$ for a quicker shipping method and its of no use now, I had ordered a front lip body kit for my jetta which can be clearly seen as a car part for personal use.

Anyone has any idea what can be done? Mine is stuck in Mumbai customs.
Old 18th August 2016, 21:10   #142
Senior - BHPian

Saw this news on moneycontrol that Indian govt has hiked the limit for import of electronic good for personal use to 50,000 from the earlier 2,000 INR.

Had to order a set of bavsound speakers from usa, wondering whether it would come into this bracket or it is only for mobiles, LCD etc.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cur...k_7288321.html
Old 18th August 2016, 21:33   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had to order a set of bavsound speakers from usa, wondering whether it would come into this bracket or it is only for mobiles, LCD
That's a great move to cut unnecessary delays and harassment in clearance. I don't think they have removed duties just that these goods will get cleared without any additional documentation like homologation certificate etc..
Old 22nd August 2016, 12:40   #144

I had got a new ipad using my skymiles points on 14th Aug 2016. I was charged a customs duty of Rs. 5080 by DHL billed by shipper from UAE at official apple price of 1499AED. bill date is 15th and delivery date is 20th aug.

From dgca website the 50k for personal import order is from 8th Aug 2016, Is it possible to get a refund from customs duty. Has anyone tried getting a refund from the website I understand it is possible with a form but no explanation as to where or to whom to submit the same .
Old 22nd August 2016, 13:54   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinshetty View Post
I had got a new ipad using my skymiles points on 14th Aug 2016. I was charged a customs duty of Rs. 5080 by DHL billed by shipper from UAE at official apple price of 1499AED. bill date is 15th and delivery date is 20th aug.

From dgca website the 50k for personal import order is from 8th Aug 2016, Is it possible to get a refund from customs duty. Has anyone tried getting a refund from the website I understand it is possible with a form but no explanation as to where or to whom to submit the same .
The new ruling doesn't remove any duties.
It only increases the limit of consumer electronics for personal use to 50k from 2k, that you can import without an import license and not get penalized. Earlier, customs used to charge 42% customs duty as penalty for importing without a license.

As with all custom laws, this one is also ambiguous and lots of discretionary powers are given to custom officials .
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:50   #146
BHPian

I had ordered a headlight for my bike from aliexpress and the tracking shows this currently:
2/1/2017 2:19:22 PM India MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Record item customs information (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
Retention reason : Articles importation subject to restrictions import- license

Should I visit the FPO in mumbai and what documentation do I need?
Old 7th March 2017, 00:43   #147
BHPian

Re: Customs on Arrival in B'lore Airport?

What is the free duty allowance for returning resident?

Does all passengers have to go through X-ray in B'lore airport OR the green channel is exempted from this routine?

Please advise!
Old 13th June 2017, 20:36   #148
BANNED

DHL bonded storage charges 500 valid?

Hey Folks

Last two items I imported using DHL, they charged me 500 handling fee + 500 Bonded Storage charges. According to their email that attached BoE it says:

Quote:
Storage charges will be levied if the shipment is kept on hold at our service center for more than 7 days, the charge is INR 500 or INR 4.45 per kg per day whichever is higher
The last shipment was delayed +7 days because they could not obtain Gate Pass from Customs for a few days. The current shipment is less than 7 days - arrived India on the 9th and to be delivered tomorrow.

Is DHL fleecing me by adding Bonded Storage charge to each shipment. I am having to pay 1000/- extra (500 handling + 500 storage) over and above the freight charges and customs duties.

Thanks for your inputs on this.
Old 13th June 2017, 20:51   #149
BHPian

Re: Customs on Arrival in B'lore Airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is the free duty allowance for returning resident?

Does all passengers have to go through X-ray in B'lore airport OR the green channel is exempted from this routine?

Please advise!
Well, let me answer the question myself. They mark the bag with chalks even before the bags are loaded on the carousal and at the exit the customs person will ask the marked bags to undergo x-ray inspection. The guy at the x-ray asked me about the pioneer speakers and when i nodded, waved me off.

All in all, it was NOT much as much as I feared.
Old 30th August 2017, 19:01   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Saw this news on moneycontrol that Indian govt has hiked the limit for import of electronic good for personal use to 50,000 from the earlier 2,000 INR.

Had to order a set of bavsound speakers from usa, wondering whether it would come into this bracket or it is only for mobiles, LCD etc.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/cur...k_7288321.html
How is your experience with Bavsound speakers and subs. How much did it cost you and how much duty you paid on them. I'm planning to get them installed on my bmw 530d.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks