Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2021, 00:41   #5881
BHPian

Re: Team-BHPians and their Pets

I'm looking for decent budgeted pet-boarding options at Mumbai. Any recommendations around central suburbs Mumbai?
I checked PetFelix Chandivali, they are pretty decent, but my dog came back with kennel cough after an overnight stay. So checking out if this group knows any better ones.
Old 12th January 2022, 09:42   #5882
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Take a load of new lab. So excited to bring this little darling home:

Team-BHPians and their Pets-whoof-whoof-everybody.jpeg

I would love to get some experienced dog lovers to give us some advice on getting this wonderful going; not that he needs encouragement. But I wonder if you wonderful people could point me to the right resources in terms of care and food, or share some tips that'd make me do the right thing by him.

Thank you!
oldshivabull is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:41   #5883
Senior - BHPian

My Buddy starting shedding a lot of hair lately (It's more in winter). Was searching for a pet specific hand-vac and one was available (but only in the UK). requested my brother to hand-carry one. This is called Black & Decker PET, is about a foot long and does quite a job
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6922.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 14:49   #5884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My Buddy starting shedding a lot of hair lately (It's more in winter). Was searching for a pet specific hand-vac and one was available (but only in the UK). requested my brother to hand-carry one. This is called Black & Decker PET, is about a foot long and does quite a job
You read my mind Sebring, my Indie surprisingly has been shedding quite a lot over the month, this was not the case last year, maybe because he was lesser than a year?, he would be turning 2 this March.

I am worried he'd go bald.
Old 12th January 2022, 14:59   #5885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshivabull View Post
Hi Guys,

Attachment 2258381

I would love to get some experienced dog lovers to give us some advice on getting this wonderful going; not that he needs encouragement. But I wonder if you wonderful people could point me to the right resources in terms of care and food, or share some tips that'd make me do the right thing by him.

Thank you!
Very sweet and lovely. Labs are the most gentle and loving dogs. We had a lab for 14 years till he passed in 2019. Now we have an Indie who is 10 months old.
Few things you have to be careful with Labs from a very young age:
1) Labs are always hungry and will become overweight if you feed them too much or if they don't get enough exercise. So feed him only as much as the vet recommends for his age - nothing more!

2) Labs inherently have a tendency for Hip Dysplasia - their hip joints are weak. So they need plenty of exercise and running around and also should not be overweight - that increases the risk for them.

3) For very young puppies like yours, feed him Puppy Porridge in hot water (please don't give him Cerelac - that has sugar which is not good for him)

4) After 3 months, start introducing him to some kibble (Puppy food) - you can give him Purina / Pedigree / Royal Canin depending on your budgets.
Our Lab used to eat Pedigree Chicken and Rice and all his years he would be equally excited eating it twice a day for 14 years!

5) Do give him some calcium supplements and also Vitamins for his growth

All the best and enjoy your new parenthood

PS: You should try to toilet train him within 4 months of age (they can be easily trained) Also, they tend to feel very lonely in the first 6 months so will need human company 24 hours (even at night)
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:02   #5886
Senior - BHPian

Actually, combing daily helps manage all that hair in one place. You dont notice the shedding. Takes just 15 mins. Use a metallic brush like this. Dont worry, he wont go bald, it grows back quite fast (Unless he has some skin allergy, which I doubt). I apply coconut oil liberally on him, (once a week) as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
You read my mind Sebring, my Indie surprisingly has been shedding quite a lot over the month, this was not the case last year, maybe because he was lesser than a year?, he would be turning 2 this March.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-img_6941.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 12th January 2022 at 15:03.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 22:54   #5887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would love to get some experienced dog lovers to give us some advice ...
My contribution: you do not need to dress him or wrap him in blankets. He has plenty of fur, and a superb natural system which adjusts the fur according to the temperature.

Have fun with your new companion!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 08:42   #5888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Attachment 2258381

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My contribution: you do not need to dress him or wrap him in blankets. He has plenty of fur, and a superb natural system which adjusts the fur according to the temperature.

Have fun with your new companion!
Actually no harm in keeping him slightly dressed up currently in Gurgaon. The temperatures here are 5 degree min and 15 degree max these days.
But do avoid temperature shock to him like taking him from a heated room to outdoors immediately and without any jacket. That way they can fall sick very soon.
It is best to take a little extra care with young ones till they are 4 months old.

After that their fur becomes double layered and they can withstand cold weather very well. Labradors are known for swimming even in freezing water and enjoying it!

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th January 2022 at 08:45.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 09:13   #5889
BHPian

Thank you very much! I appreciate all these tips.

Food: Right now, since chappie is on his seventh week, going by what the vet says. I know we'd need to shift him to proper doggy nutrition 3mths down the line.

Attire: I was with you there, Thad, but the temp in Ggn is way down. And the floor tiles are super chilled. But I want to move him out of the swaddling as soon as it's right, I reckon.

Habits: We are rushing him to his own vip section of the loo, and he is getting the hang of it. I"m happily surprised because he's been with us one week. Got him too early; should have been 8 weeks-- but we"ve been such a happy household since the man arrived.

Behaviour: The humans have all become infantile, and we are all projecting into our roles. There is a new mother, father and a brother. I can"t wait to take this guy out; after vaccination, I"ve been advised. I haven"t read any books or seen TV beyond the cricket with SA--that too only when India looks like winning.

Naming: Yours truly has been overruled. We are going with Tobi, which means "God is good". Can't fight that. I had such good names: Skipper/ Sirius/ Champ/ Holmes (or Watson) but...

Any chance of getting recommendations for a superlative book about dogs?

Again, thank you one and all.
oldshivabull is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 16:05   #5890
Distinguished - BHPian

Temperature from the Indian-human perspective! And I'd agree that I would want lots of clothes at 5-15C! I don't think that dogs that are comfortable in Northern-European climates do. I'd say, don't over-wrap babies or puppies!

A good compromise, though, as a new-home little one no longer has its warm mother and/or siblings to cuddle up with, is to make sure of a cosy bed with soft stuff that they can snuggle into.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 17:23   #5891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd say, don't over-wrap babies or puppies!.
I say, Dont wrap them at all ! Animals can withstand their local climatic conditions. Would be stupid to make them lose that ability. It's only us humans who have made ourselves weaker by sitting in a/c's.

Exception is these huskies - they are not meant to be in our climatic conditions. And they will not fare well here.

(I myself avoid a/c and even a fan as much as possible. Have a fairly good range of tolerance both ways. And have slept on terraces in summer during my younger days. Oh, those were the days ! )
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 20:59   #5892
BHPian

Maybe this is off-topic, but can someone recommend a good kennel for a Golden Retriever in Bangalore?

If there is another relevant thread please let me know!
Old 14th January 2022, 12:49   #5893
BHPian

Hi folks,

Any suggestions for a good pet hotel/ hostel where I can leave my cocker spaniel for a couple of days (medical emergency), In Bangalore?

Any suggestions/ tips are welcome.
Old 14th January 2022, 13:41   #5894
Senior - BHPian

Emergency is it? You can leave him at Renee. JP Nagar. 7406734689. They're handling my Cocker spaniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Hi folks, Any suggestions for a good pet hotel/ hostel where I can leave my cocker spaniel for a couple of days (medical emergency), In Bangalore?Any suggestions/ tips are welcome.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 22:01   #5895
Senior - BHPian

First time checking in here. Here's our li'l Simba who celebrated his first b'day last week
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220110_194922.jpg  

Team-BHPians and their Pets-20220110_194924.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 17th January 2022 at 22:03.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks