Korea Republic 0 0%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2014, 16:47   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This is not the case with Italy, they keep on pondering with ground passes in this area. Whereas the Dutch just penetrates through.
Well, I love tactical midfield play - my all time favourite footballers were midfielders - Valderrama, Deco, Riquelme and now I will add Pirlo to the list after this World cup!!
Old 17th June 2014, 18:32   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Tonight Hazard and Kompany are taking the field
Hearing a lot of good things about the young Belgian team, eager to see them in action. Any ready reckoner from the more avid football followers (I am not one) about the team is most welcome.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:45   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Unfair! The Geman defence was rock solid. I loved the clean tackles to take possession; hardly any fouls against the Germans while the Portuguese were all over the place at the back, though in all fairness some of their attacks were pretty good.
+1

Been a Germany fan since 1990. Yesterday was sweet

But I did feel that Portugal didn't play all that hard - sort of gave up.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
@Latheesh : That was a bit harsh. I thought both the decisions were correct - penalty as well as the red card
Sorry, What I meant was Portugal played so bad that Germans could play well. Once two Portugal players were fighting for ball and even saw few Portugal players giving passes to Germans!!
Agree with red card, he could have continued without making a scene. But bit of a drama by Mueller caused the instant red card decision.
Even Portugal deserved a penalty isn't it?

Not a Portugal or Germany fan - but I did not enjoy yesterdays match except Hummel's goal.

Happy to see another Valderrama fan, do we have any player like him in this world cup? controlling the game without running much?
Old 17th June 2014, 19:05   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Agree with red card, he could have continued without making a scene. But bit of a drama by Mueller caused the instant red card decision.
Agree, Mueller overreacted rather faked injury when Pepe's hand brushed his face, this had infuriated Pepe who should have controlled his temper.
IMO Mueller should have been Yellow carded for his acting...

Also, Portugal deserved a penalty when their striker (forgot his name) was brought down in the penalty box!
Referee was clearly biased towards Germany!
Old 17th June 2014, 19:27   #111
BHPian

All the goals that Mueller scored yesterday were not hard earned ones. If you watch closely, it was somehow the ball came to Mueller's foot. Comparing that to what Robben and Van Persie scored for Netherlands, I would say that as more challenging. Christiano Ronaldo put up not so impressive performance in yesterday's match. Hope that he strikes in the rest if the Portugal's matches.

Last edited by joe1980 : 17th June 2014 at 19:28.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:30   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ref probably got swayed by the fact that the only reason Portugal got possession for that move was because the ball hit the ref and fell to a Portugal player. Not necessarily right, but there were mitigating circumstances. Calling him biased would be a tad harsh.
Old 17th June 2014, 19:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
All the goals that Mueller scored yesterday were not hard earned ones. If you watch closely, it was somehow the ball came to Mueller's foot. Comparing that to what Robben and Van Persie scored for Netherlands, I would say that as more challenging. Christiano Ronaldo put up not so impressive performance in yesterday's match. Hope that he strikes in the rest if the Portugal's matches.
Yes, agreed and we can go on and on about how some prolific goal scorers in football are just that - goal poachers. But being there at the right time at the right place is an art. And in the end, history is etched with the name of the player against the number of goals he scored. Sad but true.
Old 17th June 2014, 21:36   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Happy to see another Valderrama fan, do we have any player like him in this world cup? controlling the game without running much?
Lazy midfielders are no longer in demand

In this era of standardisation and laptop wielding support staff, it will be very difficult for a player like him to survive

Talking about support staff : Was that Kluivert in the Dutch dug-out, looking all bloated like Chris Tucker in Rush Hour 3?
Old 17th June 2014, 23:01   #115
Senior - BHPian

Finally Belgium scored an equalizer...what a relief. Expected this match to be a cake walk for them. Now they intensified the attack

Edit: they scored second goal, good finishing.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th June 2014 at 23:07.
Old 17th June 2014, 23:53   #116
Team-BHP Support

Diary of a World cup Soccer Convert

Started following world cups since 1990. Just had heard about the phenomenon called Maradona and saw him live first time then. (Incidently they lost to Cameroon!). Having played the game as kids, just realised what the guy was. But the whole 1990 Italia experience was very very dry. And with a horrible final that Germany won based on that penalty kick, I did not like the experience. Felt bad for Argentina. But that was plainly due to the emotion called Maradona and nothing else. Then I had not seen what Brazil was.

Then came 94 USA, and all the flashy scoring started with forwards hounding in pairs. Thats when I really started seeing what Brazil was. Romario/Bebeto were superb. But again finals based on shoot outs made it a horrible affair. But in spite of that I remember seeing that final each and every minute. The real appreciation being Maldini and Baresi; the injured captain who came back after injury and played one of the most amazing defence lines in the final. Really got to know why the Azurri were called the iron curtain. The other real down fall and last bow then was the exit of Matheus and his peers for Germany. What I read later is that Germany started re-building at that instant strengthening the junior leagues. I think folks like Thomas Muller are a result of that resurrection. I just can't hope to compare today's Germany against that 1994 team lead by Mathaeus. (No doubt Matheus was a legend in his own right).

The 98 world cup; most would remember for France, Zidane and Ronaldo's strange illness in the finals.

2002 : The only thing I distinctly remember is the England-Brazil match when Ronaldinho scored two goals after Brazil being one down and then been sent off the field!

No major recollections of 2006. But 2010, I was in for shock seeing Germany. This was not what I had seen in 90/94. They were fast and precise in passing. It was like seeing a traditional European side mutated by Latin American style. But so was fun, seeing seeing Spain, esp the way they strangled the Germans and not gave them any space to run.

Some other distant memories :

- Baggio missing the goal;
- Maradona drug incident in 94,
- Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Ronaldinho magic,
- Henry's brilliance,
- The unpredictable Dutch performance (just like Indian Cricket!),
- Seeing Bergkamp and Nistelroy play,
- Bulgarian performance in 94 (esp. Stoichkov),
- Suker's golden boot performance ... etc to say a few

But all in all come world cup, the midnight party begins no matter how early you may have to get up the next day for work or school or college !

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2014 at 00:16.
Old 18th June 2014, 00:01   #117
Senior - BHPian

It would have been a sad result if Algeria had won - I wanted Algeria to lose more than Belgium to win!! Even Greece would have found Algeria too defensive!! First half they were not even interested in counter attack!!

@ampere : We have similar memories. Just that my first 'live match' was the 88 Euro final and that turned me into a Holland fan, till the last world cup!!(of course 86 WC was there - but I was too young then). Thanks for reliving them!!
Old 18th June 2014, 02:04   #118
BHPian

Something is off with Brazil's attack today. I knew Mexico wouldn't be a walk in the park, but I thought atleast they would be a goal up by now (match in the 77th minute as I'm typing this). Their finishing is not as crisp as it was in the match against Croatia.
Old 18th June 2014, 02:24   #119
Team-BHP Support

Terrific game by Mexico, probably the best goalless draw I've seen in a while. The goalie is the Man of the Match, hands down.

Brazil don't have the cutting edge against well-organized defending, it may haunt them in the knockout stages.
Old 18th June 2014, 02:32   #120
BHPian

What a match. Brilliant defense by Mexico. Hats off to the goalkeeper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks