Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2006, 15:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Mainland China

Name/Location: Mainland China

Average Cost:
200-300 a dish - around 500 a person

Food:
As the name suggest Mainland China serves chinese food and in my opinion its one of the best places for chinese. The quality of food at MLC is really good and their chicken is unusually tender. I mean unless ur heaving a fried chicken the MLC chicken just melts in your mouth. They also have good quality sea food available and theyl ususally make a seafood version of any dish you want. Try the General Tao's favourite chicken which is based in a brown sauce and is medium spicey. Their Sliced Pepper Chicken is also an excellent dish which used to be on the menu but they will still make it for you if you request it. In deserts you have to try their Darsang(?) which are these crispy friend honey noodles served with vanilla ice cream. its realy good!!!! Overall the food here is really good and you cant really go wrong with what you order.

Service:
The waiters at Mainland China are polite and everything and they can take your order if you know what you want but if you want some suggestions you should probably talk to Mr Bhutia or Mr Deepak who are at the front desk. They are really good at suggesting dishes to you and really know the food well. The only complaint I have against the service is when you ask for the food to be packed. the quanitity mysteriously becomes less !!

Ambience:
The ambience is decent enough though if you come there on a weekend and have to wait, ull have to wait outside nd its not aced there. The inside is pretty good. They have opened up the private area and made it the smoking section though its not as nice as the rest of the restaurant. The rest of the restaurant is kinda symetrical. nd there are plenty of large tables which can seat 7-8 people. The branch in Lokhandwala is a lot bigger but the food is better in the Powai branch

Conclusion:
Mainland china is a real nice place to go with family or with a chick. its not really tht expensive but doesnt have a cheap feel to it at all. it is exceptionally popular with people from powai and it has many fans like me who jsut swear by it
Old 27th October 2006, 23:43   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Hey Sahil.
The Crossroads one shut shop a while back. It has been re-christened and shifted to kemps corner. Its a 20,000 sq ft. place now. Huge and rocking!!

X
Really? China Garden's back in kemps corner! Damn i looovvedd that place as a kid....when did they shut the crossroads one,it was functional till just a few months ago when i was back in bombay.
Old 29th October 2006, 20:04   #48
BHPian

Name/Location - Borivali/Kandivili - RaghuLeela Mall - Village resturant ( 1st Floor)
Average Cost - 300 per adult, child 200
Food - south indian/Jain/Rajasthani ect. Lots of them
Service - Too good
Ambience - one of the best ( Theme based )
Conclusion - enjoy the place on a saturday, absolute must for the whole family for all age group , good for surprise parties ect.

P.S. Great place for Team Bhp meets.
Old 29th October 2006, 20:43   #49
Max
BHPian

i love teambhp. this thread is very usefull.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Sahil - Pantaloons or some big company has bought over crossroads and hence apart from Mcdonalds, most of the shops and restraunts are shifting out of there.
Old 31st October 2006, 12:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Sahil - Pantaloons or some big company has bought over crossroads and hence apart from Mcdonalds, most of the shops and restraunts are shifting out of there.
Reliance and Pantaloons has apparently bought it over. And China Garden had to shut shop forcibly due to legal issues.

X
Old 5th November 2006, 09:23   #52
BANNED

Hey X-Machine,

Who told you China Garden at Cross Roads has shut down. It is very much open as is the one at Kemps Corner. FYI I just had dinner at China Garden Cross Roads on Friday night.

Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine
Hey Sahil.
The Crossroads one shut shop a while back. It has been re-christened and shifted to kemps corner. Its a 20,000 sq ft. place now. Huge and rocking!!

X
Old 10th November 2006, 11:33   #53
BHPian

Folk, this list that i received from a friend may repeat some of the places mentioned earlier. Still..

Marathi food
1. Prakash - Next to Shiv Sena Bhavan, towards PortugueseChurch, serves an excellent Misal.
2. Aaswad - Near Shiv Sena Bhavan, towards Mahim. Used to be like Prakash, but now they serve Punjabi, Southie dishes too.
3. Trupti - Opposite Plaza Cinema (in the same building that was destroyed in the 1993 bomb blasts). Aaswad above is owned by it's ex-Manager.
4. Panshikar's - Opposite Dadar Stn(W), again for traditional Maharashtrian
grub.
5. Madhura - Between Plaza and Shiv Sena Bhavan (N.C. Kelkar Rd), similar to Prakash.
6. Dattatraya - same row as Prakash aobve in Dadar

Misc Indian treats
1. Gujju thali @ 100 - Hotel Maharana - Chembur Naka
2. Rajasthani/Gujarati thali - Royal Challenge II - Thane (W) near Teen
Haath Naka

Treat places
1. Potpourri (continental) & Kabab Corner in Bandra
2. Olive (Meditteranean) in Bandra
3. Orchid Hotel (continental) Late Night Buffet in Vile Parle
4. Yoko Sizzlers & Dynasty in Santa Cruz
5. Pop Tate's (Italian) in Versova
6. Sanuk Thai in Bandra
7. Tamnak Thai in ShivajiPark
8. Sidewok in Nariman Point
9. KobeSizzlers (Andheri West, Bandra, Opera House)
10. San Marzano (Italian) near Churchgate
11. Little Italy(pure veg Italian, Tiramisu highyl recommended) in Juhu
12. Please note that in each of the above, damage per head > Rs 250
(excluding beverages).
13. 5 Spice - authentic chinese - opposite RBI headqarters, walk from VT Highly recommended - everything on the menu - Desserts (incl. Death by
chocolate) - quite cheap without compromising authenticity, presentation
or quality. Daaru available.
14. Mama Mia's Fast Food at Opera House - excellent selection of subs,
pizzas, pastas at very reasonable prices - avoid desi chinese here - no
daaru, no a/c.
15. Sassanian Boulangerie - opposite Metro Cinema/Masjid roundabout -
clean place, excellent non-veg, parsi-Irani and good european/continental, chinese, italian food - serves sizzlers - quite cheap - has a bakery too - no daaru (unless you klnow the owner and bring your own).
16. The '80s Place - start of Linking road Bandra station side - excellent
veg buffet joint Rs 80. - the pub nearby by the same name is a money-sink
17. Mama Mia (www.mamamiapizzas.com) - Opera House - American, Italian, Mexican (Pizzas, Subs and Fast food) - moderately cheap - good veg variety

Seafood (Indian)
1. Gazalee - MIDC Andheri (E) and Vile Parle(E) - moderately priced - very good food - fish and crabs
2. Saaybaa - outside Bandra Stn. (W) - very cheep and very decent place -limited seating - avoid rush hour
3. Mahesh lunch home - Fort - off the Citibank lane onDN Road - probably the most popular seafood - expensive nowadays
4. Apoorva lunch home - Fort - near Mahesh - off the lane opposite to Mahesh - cheaper and equally good
5. Excellensea/Bharat lunch home - newar RBI building - the biggest prawn I have ever eaten - very good food
6. Priya Lunch Home - Right opp. Vikhroli Station - cheap and good
7. Malvan Samudra - Outside Vikhroli station (W)
8. Sion Lunch Home - near Sion station - Speciality: Mangalorian food
9. FountainPlaza- near Fountain - off DN Road, the street that goes left at Eastern Watch. Inexpensive and great fish
10. Maharaja - near chakala - good choice of crabs
11. Highway Gomantak - under the flyover of Bandra (E) - moderately cheap and great food

Steaks
1. Cafe Royal - opposite Regal - very costly - the best juiciest steaks in
town in my opinion
2. Kobe sizzlers - Sakinaka, Andheri Stn (W), and Girgaon Chowpatty -
slightly costly - nice steaks in the form of sizzlers
3. Alps- behind Regal and Bade Miyan - very cheap - decent steaks with beer - smoky place
4. Rodas Parabola - Hiranandani Powai - expensive - the midnightmenu has excellent steak
5. Yoko sizzlers - Lokhandwala, Khar - I have had diametrically opposite
experiences here - so take a shot

Midnight Buffets
1. Le Royal Meridien - Intl. Airport - 325 per head all days - as good as
you expect a midnight buffet to be - good salads and deserts - ok main
course food - 12 to 3 - but 12 to 2 on monday
2. Rodas Parabola coffee shop - Hiranandani Powai - 225 per head on
weekends and 199 per head on weekdays - again good salads and deserts - deserts get over - not on mondays
3. Renaissance - Powai - haven't been there - only weekends - 350/400 per head
4. Lotus Suites - they have stopped their midnightbuffets
5. Leela, Marriot, Oberoi, Taj - when last called upon, they didn't have
midnightbuffets
6. Intercontinental, The Grand - Intl. airport - 350 per person - weekends
only
7. Best midnightbuffets - outside railway stations all over Bombay

24-hour coffee shops
1. Oberoi - now called Hilton - Nariman Point - very good lounge with a
sea view - though you can't see at night - have bottomless coffees for
about 80!
2. President - Cuffee Parade - Also Library Bar with live music but closes
at about 1 am.
3. Rodas - Hiranandani Powai - midnightbuffet available here
4. Leela - Intl.Airport- Good lounge for coffee - the bar behind the lounge
closes at 2 last I know
5. Hyatt Ragancy - Itnl. Airport - Great glassy lounge - standard
coffees/smoothies available
6. Grand Maratha Sheraton - Intl.Airport- excellent coffee shop and
ambience - great food
Old 13th January 2007, 11:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

When I came home this time I noticed Under the Over was closed. It was one of my favourite restaurants and they made the best chicken Djonaise nd skin nd potatoes. I had similar skin nd potatoes at Hard Rock Cafe but it just wasnt up to the mark. Im really going to miss under the over.
Old 13th January 2007, 18:12   #55
BHPian

Mmmm.. this is a very yummy thread.

For all those complaining about Bade Miyan quality going down, there are two good alternatives in the area. Ayub's at Kala Ghoda has very good kebab rolls and is also open late. During normal hours there's a guy at the corner near World Trade Centre in Cuffe Parade who makes awesome kebab rolls. His name is Idris and he's just got a table on the footpath but the rolls are to die for.

A nice date place is Vie Lounge. On weeknights its the perfect combination of a lounge and a restaurant, with decent Italian food. Best thing is to grab your drinks and go to one of the little balconies over the beach.

Pop Tates at 7 bungalows, Andheri has good burgers and steaks, for those who find it hard to get a non-exorbitant steak. Weekend nights this place is packed and they dont take reservations so expect to wait for half an hour. Same owners as Urban Tadka which is just around the corner and has surprisingly good Indian food.
Old 13th January 2007, 18:27   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A nice date place is Vie Lounge. On weeknights its the perfect combination of a lounge and a restaurant, with decent Italian food. Best thing is to grab your drinks and go to one of the little balconies over the beach.
Totally and Absolutely The food and ambience are to die for.
Old 13th January 2007, 18:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Pop Tates at 7 bungalows, Andheri has good burgers and steaks, for those who find it hard to get a non-exorbitant steak.
Bugger-all frozen food served. Best for Happy Hours in the afternoon, ek drink pe doosra free.
Old 13th January 2007, 18:33   #58
elf
BANNED

@khanak: Yeah man, was one of my favourites for years too... Especially the Devil's Food Cake.

@theEnd: Pop Tate's used to be nice a long while back. Now the music's just too darned loud for a restaurant & the colours grate on the nerves. Also, everytime we go to Urban Tadka, something goes south in our bellies. Don't know if it's the place or psychosomatic. Great food there, though, especially the Tavaa Jhinga. Avoid their cocktails under any circumstances - extremely vile!

Some of you guys should try out Toss & Grill slightly off Carter Road, near Cafe Coffee Day. Verrrrry reasonable (meal for 2 around 5-600 bucks), nice-ish Arabian decor with gadda style seating, & decent Indian food. The Arabian / Lebanese food's OK, nothing to write home about.
Old 13th January 2007, 18:42   #59
elf
BANNED

One more place I absolutely love is the Hornby Pavillion (24hr coffee shop) at the ITC Grand Central. Don't know or care much about the other food at the buffet, but on most nights they have salmon & sushi in the cold cuts section.

Once that happens (I call to check), I heap my plate with smoked salmon, a bit of sushi & other chosen cold cuts, hit the cheeses & the freshly baked hard breads & let the rest of the buffet (junk, in my opinion) go to hell.

It's the most value for money smoked salmon / sushi available in the city, at Rs. 675.00 (including taxes I think) per head for the entire buffet. Wifey tells me the desserts are also great. Who cares - I can't move by then!
Old 13th January 2007, 19:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Some of my favs restraunts:

Chinese: Royal China (Definatly one of my favourites,the peeking duck is to die for and dim sums too.)
China Garden (Otters Club one is much better than the actual one at crossroads)

Italian: Indigo(Love their Deli too)
Fangipani @Oberio (Ammmazing pizzas)
Grand Hyatt (Thinnest pizza crust u will ever see!)

Indian: Peshawari (Unbeatable kababs and Dal Makhani)
Elco Pani Puri (Best tasting and cleanest!)
Noorani (Biryani)
Gajalie(Seafood madness!)

Damn, i miss bombay food!!
hey dude can u tell me where is peshawari located and also if u know any other places which serve nice kababs and dal makhnis

Most Viewed