Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 15:02   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Couple of recommendations based on recent experience:
1. Amar Juice Centre on Gulmohar Road (near Mithibai College). This is located very close to Andheri, Juhu and Vile Parle.
Amazing sandwiches, juices, milk shakes and even Idli, Dosa. Turns out it is owned by a Mangalorean, we felt at home conversing in Kannada with the staff there
Maybe you are new to Mumbai so not aware, the resturants/bar buisnesses in and around Mumbai is dominated by Mangaloreans.
Old 28th December 2015, 13:53   #1082
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody, specially missal lovers.
From today's (8/6) Times of India.

Misal Rules

Chembur has a famous misal place - Bhatt Vishranthi Gruh. This is at Chembur Naka - opposite the MTNL Exchange. It's hidden behind trees - so not easily visible when you are driving on the Sion Trombay road.

It opens at the break of dawn, hence popular with Auto drivers who start their day there. It has seating for around 20 people - so you will have to share a table. It used to have waiters but now they have converted it into a self-service place. It's really old - may be 40+ years.

The misal is very good and is guaranteed to make you sweat. 1 plate of misal pav costs Rs. 40. The place also serves other stuff but is famous for it's misal forever.

I ate there after almost 15 years - hence the review.
Old 31st December 2015, 12:14   #1083
BHPian

I used to be a regular visitor to Paratha Mantra in Fort area, which was earlier known as Nandu's Paratha. My favourites were Lachha Paratha, Chana Masala, Aloo Paratha. The taste used to be awesome and the quantity was enough for a good lunch.

But after almost 3 years I visited the place last month and was disappointed to see the size of Aloo paratha has reduced, though the taste is more less same. And boy it is no more value for money. Rs. 200 odd for one Aloo Paratha !!! that too reduced size. No wonder there were very few people.
Old 31st December 2015, 13:33   #1084
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Chembur Camp is another place in Bombay filled with eateries which are all like 50 years old. Most of them are very non-fancy and non-family places. But worth going there. If you want to feed your family also then do takeout. Chembur Camp is also called Sindhi Camp - the place is filled with Sindhi/Punjabi food.

- Sainath Amritsari Kulcha
Very difficult to find - it's a little away from all the other eateries. It's in a small lane opposite the big Ganesh temple. As you go from Jhama, you have to walk further past Sattu/Vig etc - around 200-300 meters after Vig to find this. It's on the right side as soon as the lane starts.
Their signature product is Alu Cheese Kulcha. They also sell Onion Cheese, Paneer & mix Kulcha. It's served with some Chole & an cut onion chutney.
It's really a hole in the wall place. There is no sitting. There is a standing table with enough place for 3 people to stand. You either stand on the street and eat or takeout. The kulcha is very good.
There is another Amritsari Kulcha place right adjacent called Hardev but not tried it.

- Vig Restaurant.

Famous for Dal Pakwaan but I have never tried it because it gets over before evening - I plan to visit in the mornings or afternoon once. I have tried their Samosa Chole & Pattice Chole both of which are good.

- Jhama

Very famous place. The Kapoors & a lot of other actors order Gulab Jamun from there regularly. They also have other snack stuff.

- Ranjit the Dhaba

This is probably the most family like place there serving Tandoori stuff - kebabs, tandoori check etc. But still not in a good area. It's a little expensive for a Dhaba but the food is good.

- Sindh Panipuri

From memory, this is one of the oldest places to start Cold pani puri - where the liquid is kept cold with ice. At one time the pot used to be surrounded with ice. Now they don't seem to do this, but the liquid is still cold but not as cold as before.

There are lots and lots of other places in Camp. You can spend a month of days just exploring different eateries in the Camp area.

Last edited by carboy : 31st December 2015 at 13:34.
Old 2nd January 2016, 23:57   #1085
BHPian

Carboy.
Hi.
You may get pakwan at Sattu's albeit with cholle and maybe once in a while with daal.
Next to King's is a "bhajiya" shop owned by a Sindhi. Great"sanaah" bhajiyas. Sindhis fry it twice
Long back had 3 varieties of daal with bread hawked by a hand cart,near the entrance of Inlak's. Superb. Was available only until 12 noon
Outside Kailash tea shop there is a hand cart selling paaya soup. Loved his plain soup.
Read on a different site about Gopal's sindhi mutton which is still good whereas Sobhraj's mutton is not good.
Bon appetit.
Regards
PS: I havnt eaten in that area for more than 5 years. Reg Jhama have heard that it is not good anymore. Nowhere compared to Guru Kripa Sion
Old 3rd January 2016, 00:16   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

Hit & Run - JB Nagar, good Chicken Biriyani & Shawarma. I have had Chicken Biriyanis from The Persian Durbar, Shalimar, Kakori House - didn't like any of those (me being a Keralite could be a reason, for the taste).

But Hit & Run was quite good. Even better, at 150/- a plate, this is cheaper than all the places mentioned above.

Rajadhani Restaurant @ Phoenix Market City, Kurla. Only a veg thali and unlimited serving for all the dishes. Quite expensive @ 500/- + taxes (or around) but the food was tasty. Unimited Chaas, one of the lightest I ever had, 3-4 desserts (no ice creams), 2 variety rices, chappathis, dahi wadas etc. The waiters are very keen to feed you, they dont scream across the floor, all of them are very skilled at signs.

5 Spice - Sakinaka, Andheri East - Some of the dishes are really good. I had Chicken Chilly (starter) which was awesome. Had another starter which I can't seem to remember (but was listed at the bottom of the page IIRC). I also like their Chicken Pepper rice. Some colleagues of mine are fans of their Mangolian pot rice, but I never liked it.

The quantity is the highlight - One rice + 2 starters can easily feed 4 persons with decent appetite (their fresh lime is served in a 500ml glass). Quite decently priced, guess they give some corporate discounts on take away too (NOT for dining though). Among the desserts, we are a big fan of Rocky Road, which is a combination of chocolate brownie with cashews & a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd January 2016 at 00:24.
Old 10th January 2016, 09:49   #1087
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here's a treat for veggie lovers - Madras Mushrooms at Bonobo, Bandra. It's so good that you'll be licking your fingers. A bunch of Mods had gone there on Tuesday and even the non-vegetarian Mods pigged out on the madras mushrooms. It's a gravy based dish served with bread and lots of butter & garlic.

Even the last time we'd gone there, this dish was repeated a couple of times. Unmissable for a vegetarian.
Old 10th January 2016, 09:52   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Here's a treat for veggie lovers - Madras Mushrooms at Bonobo, Bandra. It's so good that you'll be licking your fingers. A bunch of Mods had gone there on Tuesday and even the non-vegetarian Mods pigged out on the madras mushrooms. It's a gravy based dish served with bread and lots of butter & garlic.

Even the last time we'd gone there, this dish was repeated a couple of times. Unmissable for a vegetarian.
Bread, butter and garlic. What can go wrong there!? Bonobo has good food and good cocktails.. Pity it's super crowded on weekends, though!
Old 10th January 2016, 19:23   #1089
BHPian

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Yet another treat for vegetarians - Govinda's at Hare Krishna ISKCON Juhu. Buffet dinner was so good that I was happy we decided for it over Barbecue Nation last night!

They serve juices (strawberry, ginger, papaya) and ice-creams over the table; rest all the items are a typical help yourself buffet style. Apart from Indian dishes you will find cold salads, pastas and pizza too! Ambience felt very nice. Definitely recommend to try out.

Reasonably priced @ 450 pp and 230 per child. They close sharp @ 1030pm.

Last edited by TMRT : 10th January 2016 at 19:25.
Old 18th January 2016, 08:42   #1090
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Yet another treat for vegetarians - Govinda's at Hare Krishna ISKCON Juhu. Buffet dinner was so good that I was happy we decided for it over Barbecue Nation last night!
I've never really liked Govindas and think of it as a very over-hyped place. IMHO, there are better options for buffets. The food is very average here.
Old 18th January 2016, 10:17   #1091
BHPian

I recently tried out a place in Powai called Mirchi And Mime. I don't know if people know about it. It's a restaurant which is hiring deaf/mute servers. You sign the dish that you want to the server which is a brilliant concept IMO. It's the highest rated restaurant on zomato now. The food is excellent to say the least. I had my doubts about the quality of food as I thought people had given a 4.9/5.0 on zomato as pity score but boy, was I surprised. If you haven't been there already, I'll suggest please visit!

PS: You need reservation 2-3 days in advance.
Old 1st February 2016, 01:45   #1092
BHPian

Hi everybody. An excerpt :SodaBottleOpenerWala is a concept that is unique to India -the dying legacy of the wonderful chaotic, crowded, bustling, colourful, quirky, cluttered, eccentric and real world of a Mumbai Irani café and bar.
The full article :http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...30012016108051

What catches the attention of the article is the words used to describe an Irani cafe.
Bon Appetit. Regards
Old 3rd February 2016, 17:01   #1093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
SodaBottleOpenerWala is a concept that is unique to India
Tried out this restaurant the other day with some office colleagues. Place is nice but a bit too loud for my taste.

On the up-side the food was very good - will rate 4/5 at least. -1 only because the dessert spread was not as good.

Main course dishes like - Chicken Pav, Eggs Kejriwal, Onion Bhajiya, Dhansak (served in a steel tiffin box) and drinks were very good and am therefore planning to go take my family there as well - followed by dessert at Theobroma!
Old 3rd February 2016, 18:41   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Rajadhani Restaurant @ Phoenix Market City, Kurla. Only a veg thali and unlimited serving for all the dishes.

5 Spice - Sakinaka, Andheri East -
Come on guys - lets not start adding the local chains to this thread. What next - the next door Shiv Sagar?

Btw surprised to see there isn't any mention of Soam

Delicious Gujju food - this is an al-a-carte restaurant serving up some of the most delicious gujarati dishes that can be found in this city. I have taken a few gujjus and they swear by this place.

Of course, this is a strictly veg only place.
Old 14th February 2016, 19:19   #1095
BHPian

Re: Whole wheat pav?

Well, I am curious. Are there any places/chains in Mumbai which serve vada pav, where pav is made of whole wheat flour? I heard, usually the pavs are made of Maida/All purpose flour.

Last edited by JMaruru : 14th February 2016 at 19:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks