Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 23:51   #1861
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

I always thought the VC10 was a very pretty aircraft.
I have never flown on one, but I do remember seeing them when we were plane spotting when I was very young.

I came across this interesting website: http://www.vc10.net/index2.html

To this date the debate about the VC10 or the VC10 being the better plane still rages on. Google it and you will find multiple aviation websites where this is being debated. Even on something as simple as operating costs people from the industry come with different numbers. What everybody does seem to agree is the role BOAC played in its ultimate demise.

To some degree and extend it also a British versus the American approach I guess.

I have read some technical stories about the design challenges of mounting those four engines at the tail section and the impact it had on the wing design. Lots of heavy structures and thus weight was required.

There have been a few other planes with double tail mount engines. But for various reasons, the industry started with under the wing and twin tail engines. (E.g. DC9, MD80, Fokker). And of course the odd triple tail mounted engine configuration (DC10, TriStar, MD110).

It seems we are heading to more and more twin engine under the wing configurations by and large.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 13:00   #1862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I always thought the VC10 was a very pretty aircraft.
I have never flown on one, but I do remember seeing them when we were plane spotting when I was very young.

I came across this interesting website: http://www.vc10.net/index2.html

To this date the debate about the VC10 or the VC10 being the better plane still rages on. Google it and you will find multiple aviation websites where this is being debated. Even on something as simple as operating costs people from the industry come with different numbers. What everybody does seem to agree is the role BOAC played in its ultimate demise.

It seems we are heading to more and more twin engine under the wing configurations by and large.
We did work on the VC10 tanker-transports till I think 2012 or so. Thus got to see it up and close a few times. It is indeed a well proportioned and graceful machine even in the RAF matt grey colour! The upper deck had seats facing backwards which is the correct thing to do. They also had a refueling probe fitted on most of the time. Those 4 Conways were very very noisy by the standards we are used to today.

If the lengthened fuselage Super VC10 had been introduced on day 1 with its superior seat-mile costs then this machine could have enjoyed more sales. China wanted to license build or assemble the VC10 like they had the Trident. But by the time they took the final decision in 1972 the tooling had been scrapped. Otherwise China was looking at an order in the range of 20 to 25 aircraft from what I recall reading long ago.

Thank you for that link. Good complilation.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 26th August 2022 at 13:06.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 09:21   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a large flying boat
The only one currently in production
I feature advanced lift devices, four engines and lots of endurance.
My primary role is search & rescue though I could be modified for ASW patrol too.

Who am I ?
Old 27th August 2022, 10:11   #1864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I am a large flying boat
The only one currently in production
I feature advanced lift devices, four engines and lots of endurance.
Shin Maywa US-2 Amphibian.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 13:04   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Wright Flyer :: First successful powered heavier-than-air aircraft :: 1:72 Postage Stamp make, plastic

A basic model made of plastic. Moderate in quality. Length 4"and Wingspan 6.5"

The aircraft that started it all on 17th December 1903. The Wright Flyer. Built by brothers Orville and Wilbur who perfected the wing and propeller design through extensive wind tunnel testing and with gliders. The aircraft was made of wood and canvas, the natural materials for the day. The engine was a 12 hp 4-in-line petrol of 3295cc capacity. The engines was custom made for the Wright Flyer in order to be of the lightest possible weight as ready made car engines of the day were too heavy for the power output.

The Wright flyer was of a canard bi-plane configuration with a wing span of 40 feet and a wing area of 510 sq feet. The canard (naturally) fitted in the front lay ahead of the pilot who lay prone on the lower wing to reduce drag and controlled the tail & wing warping (in place of ailerons) by his hands, feet and hip movements.

Four flights were made that day 37, 53, 61, and 260 metres. While the first 3 were hops the 4th was clearly a demonstration of the machines ability to fly. The aircraft was launched off steel rails to minimize power lost taking off from an uneven grass field. A 20 mph head wind helped take the aircraft aloft. Unfortunately a strong gust of wind at the end of the 4th flight damaged the machine irreparably. Orville and Wilbur Wright did not get credit for their achievement till they demonstrated a successor machine in France in 1908.

One lasting result of the Wright Flyer's and the early patents of the Wright Brothers is the Wrights' original concept of simultaneous coordinated roll and yaw control (rear rudder deflection), which they discovered in 1902, perfected in 1903–1905, and patented in 1906, represents the solution to controlled flight and is used today on virtually every fixed-wing aircraft. The Wright patent included the use of hinged rather than warped surfaces for the forward elevator and rear rudder. These hinged surfaces are in use today on every aircraft.

The original, duly restored, is now with the Smithsonian museum, USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Shin Maywa US-2 Amphibian.
Yup!!! You got it.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-5.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-2.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-7.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-4.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-6.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-8.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright-flyer-9.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-wright_flyer_an0231034.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 27th August 2022 at 13:07.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 12:31   #1866
Senior - BHPian

1:43 Zil-131 Truck NVA(Nationale Volks armee - The Former East German Army) - Premium Classics

The ZIL-131 is a general purpose 3.5 ton 6x6 army truck designed in the Soviet Union by ZIL (Zavod imeni Likhachyova) . The basic model being a general cargo truck, variants include a tractor-trailer truck, a dump truck, a fuel truck, and a 6x6 for towing a 4-wheeled powered trailer, Command post, Radar vehicle etc. The ZIL-131 also serves as a platform for the 9P138 rocket launcher - a 30-tube variant of the BM-21 "Grad". It also carried Surface to Air Missiles, Ballistic Missiles and ant-aircraft guns could also be mounted.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_00.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-zil_5.jpg

Zil-131 towing a SA-2 Guideline Missile
Name:  4850073574_21d99e3a21_b.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  270.3 KB
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 13:29   #1867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1:43 Zil-131 Truck NVA(Nationale Volks armee - The Former East German Army) - Premium Classics

The ZIL-131 is a general purpose 3.5 ton 6x6 army truck designed in the Soviet Union by ZIL (Zavod imeni Likhachyova) . The basic model being a general cargo truck, variants include a tractor-trailer truck, a dump truck, a fuel truck, and a 6x6 for towing a 4-wheeled powered trailer, Command post, Radar vehicle etc. The ZIL-131 also serves as a platform for the 9P138 rocket launcher - a 30-tube variant of the BM-21 "Grad". It also carried Surface to Air Missiles, Ballistic Missiles and ant-aircraft guns could also be mounted.
Looks really masculine. Lovely details.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 23:50   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
Wright Flyer :: First successful powered heavier-than-air aircraft :: 1:72 Postage Stamp make, plastic
The first, if it wasn't made maybe this thread would not exist

I had seen this at the Smithsonian museum a few times but never really realised its importance since I always thought it was a replica.

Would be great to see a size comparison with the bigger 1:72 aircraft in your collection.

Quote:
Great addition to your ground fleet. I think we will have add another vehicle type to the title of the thread!

Last edited by Foxbat : 30th August 2022 at 23:52.
Foxbat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 11:34   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

Great addition to your ground fleet. I think we will have add another vehicle type to the title of the thread!
Yup, Military Trucks.

In fact, I have the Zil's American equivalent that awaits unboxing along with a Super Cobra, couple of Tomcats and a Hornet.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:53   #1870
Senior - BHPian

1:72 M35 2.5 ton Cargo Truck US Army,345th Military Intelligence Battalion Baghdad, Iraq, 2003 (Hobbymaster)

Production of the M35 2.5 Ton Truck “Deuce and a Half” began in 1949 and was first delivered to the U.S. Army in 1950. When production ended in 1988 there were 150,000 of these vehicles produced in several variants. There are cargo trucks, water or gasoline tank trucks, wreckers, dump trucks, ambulances, tractors, shop vans, gun trucks and many more. These trucks were so durable and so plentiful they became popular world wide with some vehicles still in operation today.

"Operation Iraqi Freedom" took place from March 20 - May 1 2003 involving approximately 390,000 troops from the U.S., United Kingdom, Australia, Poland and Peshmerga forces. This many troops meant a need for a continuous supply of fuel, munitions, food and other material.
Reminiscent of the WWII Red Ball Express hundreds of M35 trucks were used to keep the constant re- supply moving. Eventually the threat of attack by RPGs and IEDs became so prevalent that more and more C-130 aircraft were used instead to carry out these types of missions.

General specifications M35 2.5 Ton Truck
Production period – 1950 – 1988

Variants
1950–88 (M35A1, M35A2) 1993–99 (M35A3)

Dimensions
Length – 274 ¾ in (6.98 m)
Width – 93 in (2.36 m)
Height – 111 in (2.82 m) to cab

Weight with winch
Empty – 12,880 lb (5,840 kg)
Loaded – 17,880 lb 8,110 kg)

Engine
Various Manufacturers - OA-331 Continental Gas I-6; LDS-427 Turbo Multi-fuel I-6; LDS-465
Multi-fuel I-6; Caterpillar 3116 Diesel I-6
Horse Power Varied - 127 to 170 horsepower depending on particular engine

Performance
Maximum Road – 55 mph (88.5 km/h)
Range On Road – 450 miles (724 km)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_0_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_2.jpg

Drain AIr "Yanks" Daily
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_6_1.jpg

Terrible Spelling mistakes
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-m35a2_with_winch.jpg
Old 3rd September 2022, 15:56   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Convoy
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-conv_9.jpg
Old 3rd September 2022, 16:44   #1872
Distinguished - BHPian

Supermarine Spitfire :: RAF, Fighter, World War -II :: JC Wings 1:72, diecast metal

This aircraft needs to introduction to readers of this thread. Along with stalwarts such as the MiG-21, the DC-3 and Boeing 747 it is one of the most recognizable aircraft shapes ever to fly.

I usually try not to buy two scale models of a kind though I did make an exception for the MiG-21 and Spitfire’s adversary, the Messerschmitt Bf109. This model was acquired less for the aircraft and more for the man – Pierre Clostermann. Clostermann {1921 – 2006} was the top scoring French ace of WW2 with 18 victories to his score book and 14 shared victories.

The Spitfire Mark IXC shown here was Britain’s response to the Fw190 that outflew the Spitfires V’s in 1941-1942. A Fw190 captured intact revealed that the German aircraft was at least 20 mph faster at all altitudes, could climb faster and was more manoeuverable except in certain turns. The Spitfire IXC, powered by a 1650 bhp Rolls Royce Merlin, was the first Spitfire variant to cross 400mph at 408 mph. Initial climb at sea level was 4100 feet/minute and range remained a modest 700 kms; or a radius of 275 kms with a dogfight + reserves being the more realistic way to view it. Armament was a mix of 2 x 0.50 inch heavy machine guns and 2 x 20mm cannons.

Those famous elliptical wings planform we see on the Spitfire were first designed by the German bureau Heinkel for the Heinkel He70 fast mail plane. That wing form helped Heinkel set the world speed record. A Canadian who worked with Heinkel later moved jobs to Supermarine and is believed to have carried the design idea, if not the actual drawings, with him. A charge denied by the British!! for the speeds in the 200 knots to 400 knots range an elliptical wing planform gives the lowest induced drag. In aviation as we know saving an ounce of weight or drag is like gold. There is no doubt the Heinkel bureau {or the Gunter Brothers working for them} invented the elliptical wing. I wonder what a Bf109 with this planform would have performed like.

Later in life Clostermann became famous as an author. He strongly criticized the American invasion of Iraq in 2003. In fact that was the time I first read of him. When he died in 2006 the Economist wrote an obituary on him.

Last photo showing the 4 aircraft that fought over England and Western Europe in 1939 to 1942, the Fw190 coming only in 1941. Messerschmitt Bf109 to the left and Focke Wolf Fw190 to the right with the Hurricane, centre top and Spitfire centre bottom. Till the end of time aviation enthusiasts will argue about which is better between the Bf109 vs Spitfire and there won't ever be a correct answer. But from a design point of view of both user and maintainer and survivability the Fw190 was the best of these 4 designs.

Quote:
Convoy
Sandesh, your military collection is getting too tempting to resist. A grand display my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-b.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-c.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-d.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-e.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-f.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-g.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-h.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-i.jpg  

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-spitfire-j.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by V.Narayan : 3rd September 2022 at 16:46.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 10:40   #1873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Supermarine Spitfire :: RAF, Fighter, World War -II :: JC Wings 1:72, diecast metal
The Legendary Spitfire!!!! Congratulations. That quad of RAF & Luftwaffe Battle of Britain fighters look really nice.

Your JC Wings Spitifire looks more crisp than the Witty Wings Spitfire. The canopy, especially looks more detailed and has the correct shape. JC Wings acquired Witty Wings & all their scale model moulds and improved upon them. No better example of this than their Spitfire.

Quote:
Sandesh, your military collection is getting too tempting to resist. A grand display my friend.
Thank you Sir.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 12:23   #1874
Senior - BHPian

1:48 Bell AH-1W Super Cobra - HMLA 167 "Warriors", United States Marine Corps, BuNo. 160820, 9/11 tribute markings, Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, Dec 2012 (Forces of Valor)

The Bell AH-1W Super Cobra is a twin-engined, twin seat attack helicopter The twin engine Cobra family, itself part of the larger UH-1 Huey family, includes the AH-1J Sea Cobra, AH-1T Improved Sea Cobra, and the AH-1W Super Cobra. The AH-1W was the backbone of the United States Marine Corps attack helicopter fleet for decades until it was replaced by the next generation Bell AH-1Z Viper.

The AH-1 Super Cobra was based on the US Army's single-engine AH-1G Cobra attack helicopter. The pilot sits in the rear cockpit while the Gunner sits in the front cockpit. The U.S. Marine Corps was very interested in the AH-1G Cobra, but it preferred a twin-engine version for improved safety in over-water operations, and also wanted a more potent turret-mounted weapon. At first, the US Department of Defense had balked at providing the Marines with a twin-engine version of the Cobra, in the belief that commonality with US Army AH-1Gs outweighed the advantages of a different engine fit. However, the Marines won out and awarded Bell a contract for 49 twin-engine AH-1J Sea Cobras in May 1968. As an interim measure, the U.S. Army passed on 38 AH-1Gs to the Marines in 1969. The AH-1J also received a more powerful gun turret. It featured a three-barrel 20 mm XM197 cannon based on the six-barrel M61 Vulcan cannon.

The Marine Corps requested greater load carrying capability in high temperatures for the Cobra in the 1970s. Bell used systems from its Model 309 to develop the AH-1T. This version had a lengthened tail boom and fuselage with an upgraded transmission and engines from the 309. Bell designed the AH-1T to be more reliable and easier to maintain in the field. The version was given full TOW missile capability with targeting system and other sensors. An advanced version, known as the AH-1T+ with more powerful T700-GE-700 engines and advanced avionics was proposed to Iran in the late 1970s, but the overthrow of the Shah of Iran resulted in the sale being canceled

In the early 1980s, the U.S. Marine Corps sought a new navalized helicopter, but it was denied funding to buy the AH-64 Apache by Congress in 1981. The Marines in turn pursued a more powerful version of the AH-1T. Other changes included modified fire control systems to carry and fire AIM-9 Sidewinder and AGM-114 Hellfire missiles. The new version was funded by Congress and received the AH-1W designation. Deliveries of AH-1W Super Cobras started in March 1986 and totaled 179 new-built helicopters plus 43 upgrades of AH-1Ts.

The AH-1W variant entered service with the USMC in 1986. The "Whiskey Cobra", as it was called, was the first day/night version pf the Super Cobra family with more powerful engines and advanced weapons capability.

AH-1W in action
During the Gulf War, 78 Marine Super Cobras deployed, and flew a total of 1,273 sorties in Iraq with no combat losses. However, three AH-1s were lost to accidents during and after the combat operations. The AH-1W units were credited with destroying 97 tanks, 104 armored personnel carriers and vehicles, and two anti-aircraft artillery sites during the 100-hour ground campaign.

Marine Cobras provided support for the U.S. humanitarian intervention in Somalia, during Operation Restore Hope in 1992–93. They were also employed during the U.S. invasion of Haiti in 1994. USMC Cobras were used in U.S. military interventions in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, and two AH-1Ws assisted in the rescue of USAF Captain Scott O'Grady, after his F-16 was shot down by a SAM in June 1995.

AH-1 Cobras continue to operate with the U.S. Marine Corps. USMC Cobras were also used in operations throughout the 1990s. USMC Cobras have also served in Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan and in Operation Iraqi Freedom in the conflict in Iraq. While new replacement aircraft were considered as an alternative to major upgrades of the AH-1 fleet, Marine Corps studies showed that an upgrade was the most affordable, most supportable and most effective solution for the Marine Corps light attack helicopter mission.

During the 2003 invasion of Iraq, 46 of 58 USMC Cobras took battle damage, mostly from infantry-type weapons.

On 19 September 2011, a USMC AH-1W crashed during training exercises at Camp Pendleton, California, killing the two crewmen on board. An investigation into the crash determined that it was caused by bird strike. The aircraft had collided with a red-tailed hawk, the impact damaging the pitch change link which in turn produced vibrations to the rotors so fierce that they caused the transmission and rotors to break off from the helicopter body

In late August 2016, Marine AH-1W Cobras flying from USS Wasp started flying combat missions over Sirte, Libya against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in Libya, providing close air support for friendly militias on the ground. In the later stages of the operation, AH-1Ws flew combat missions from the deck of USS San Antonio after that ship replaced Wasp in October 2016.

In October 2020, the U.S. Marine Corps retired the AH-1W after 34 years of service, replacing it with the AH-1Z Viper. The Marines received 179 Super Cobras from 1986 to 1999 which flew 933,614 hours. the AH-1W remains in service with the Taiwan Army & Turkish Navy.

The 9/11 Tribute
The crew of this US Marine Corps AH-1W helicopter painted a stencil of the Twin Towers on its side after reading about the heroics of the New York City firefighters on 9/11.

The Super Cobra flew combat missions in Afghanistan in 2010 but were in awe at the sacrifice of the New York Fire Department on September 11 2001.They wrote the words 'Never Forget' on the side of the AH-1W Super Cobra and painted a New York Fire Department logo on it. The Cobra was deployed against the Taliban in Afghanistan when it was given the markings to pay respect to the FDNY. The Cobra is stenciled with the emblem of the FDNY's Engine 60 and Ladder 17, whose firefighters are in the South Bronx. They wear green berets in the St. Patrick's Day parade in the city

Specifications
Contractor : Bell Helicopter, Textron, Inc. (Prime), General Electric, Kollsman Inc.
Introduction date : 1986

General characteristics
Crew 2: pilot, CPG (co-pilot/gunner)
Fuselage length : 44 ft 7 in (13.6 m)
Length, rotors turning Rotor diameter : 48 ft (14.6 m)
Height: 13 ft 5 in (4.1 m)
Disc area: 530.83 ft² (168.1 m²)
Empty weight: 10,920 lb (4,953 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 14,750 lb (6,690 kg)

Powerplant : 2× General Electric T700 turboshaft, 1,680shp (1,300 kW) each
Rotor systems : 2 blades on main rotor, 2 blades on tail rotor

Performance
Maximum speed: 190 knots (218 mph, 352 km/h)
Range: 317 nm (365 mi, 587 km)
Service ceiling: 12,200 ft (3,720 m)
Rate of climb: 1,620 ft/min (8.2 m/s)

Armament
M197 3-barreled 20 mm "Gatling-style" cannon in the A/A49E-7 turret (750 rounds ammo capacity)
2.75 in (70 mm) Hydra 70 rockets Mounted in LAU-68C/A (7 shot) or LAU-61D/A (19 shot) launchers
5 in (127mm) Zuni rockets
8 rockets in two 4-round LAU-10D/A launchers
TOW Missiles
Up to 8 missiles mounted in
two-missile launchers on each hardpoint
AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles Up to 8 missiles mounted in
two 4-round M272 missile launchers, one on each outboard hardpoint
AIM-9 Sidewinder Anti-Aircraft Missiles
1 mounted on each outboard hardpoint (total of 2)

The model
It's a beautiful model with insane amounts of detailing & wear & tear, as is evident from the photos.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_2.jpg

9/11 tribute & Cobra markings replicated with stunning detail
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_3.jpg

The cannon turret & the M65 Laser Augmented Airborne TOW (LAAT) Sighting Unit are moveable. There is an option to fix individual rockets on the rocket pods but I was too lazy to do it.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_9.jpg

Engine Doors open to reveal intricate detailing on the "engines"
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_11.jpg

The Countermeasures dispenser above the stubby wings
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_12.jpg

"In Flight"
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_8_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_8_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_10_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_11.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_12.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1w_if_13.jpg

The real helicopter
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1911_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1911_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1911_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ah1911_4.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th September 2022 at 12:28.
skanchan95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 16:04   #1875
Senior - BHPian

1:72 Grumman F-14B Tomcat BuNo. 163227, AG200, VF-11 "Red Rippers", USS George Washington (CVN-73) [Red Rippers Last Flight with the Tomcat] - (Easy Model)
The greatest jet manufactured by Grumman Ironworks doesn't need any introduction.

VF-11 "Red Rippers"
The current "Red Rippers" trace their history to US Navy Fighter Squadron 43 (VF-43) and was commissioned on September 1st, 1950 flying the F4U Corsair and nicknamed "Rebel's Raiders". The squadron transitioned through the F9F Cougar and F-8 Crusader before being redesignated as VF-11 "Red Rippers" on February 16th, 1959. The deployed to Vietnam in 1967, now flying the F-4B Phantom II( and later F-4J) and eventually upgraded to the F-14A Tomcat in 1980.

The squadron's combat debut in the F-14 occurred in early December 1983 when VF-11 aircraft engaged eight Syrian Air Force MiGs over Lebanon and were fired upon by Syrian Surface-to-air missiles (SAM) and anti-aircraft artillery. On 4 December 1983 the squadron flew combat air patrols over a Navy strike force from the carrier USS John F. Kennedy, while A-6E Intruders from the John F. Kennedy attacked Syrian positions in the Bekaa Valley. The strikes were in response to the Syrian SAM and AAA engagements. Two of the twenty-eight strong strike package were shot down, one A-7 from USS Independence and one A-6 from the John F. Kennedy. The pilot of the A-6 crew died while the bombardier/navigator Lt Bobby Goodman was held prisoner by the Syrians for 30 days before being released. While they were deployed for operations in Lebanon, one aircraft sustained damage from a suspected surface-to-air missile. VF-11 and three other squadrons from CVW-3 and the USS John F. Kennedy won Battle E's for 1983. VF-11 also won the Safety 'S'

The squadron went on to fly the Tomcat for 25 years before it was redesignated as Strike Fighter Squadron 11 (VFA-11) and switched to the F/A-18F Super Hornet in 2005.

The Red Rippers Tomcat Years
F-14A Tomcat (1980-92)
F-14D Super Tomcat (1992-96)
F-14B Tomcat (1996-2005)

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_1.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_4.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_5.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_6.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_7.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_8.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_8_1.jpg

"Thanks for the Ride 1980-2005" - Tom the Cat( From Tom & Jerry) riding and egging on an angry AIM-54 Phoenix - An apt tribute to the Tomcat
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_8_2.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_8_3.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_9.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-11_10.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f14btfr.jpeg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f14btfr_0.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-f14btfr_2.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 6th September 2022 at 16:22.
skanchan95 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks