Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 22:19   #736
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

I used to burn loads of crackers when I was a kid, it was fun and all that. But since 3-4 years I've not touched any cracker at all. I was not finding any substantial reason to burn crackers and also the money factor made me realize it's not good. And now I've adopted a cat and a dog so, yes I realize now why pet owners avoid crackers. Wish you all a happy Diwali.
Akshay6988 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 22:20   #737
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/delh...w/87527749.cms
What is the Fun and Use of this type of celebrations?
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 03:52   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Really serious air pollution in this part of Chennai in the evening. I would not have stood outside to watch the skies even if I had wanted to.

Spent the afternoon fixing LED strip light around the garden, plus a couple of strings of serial lights. We put 65m of LED strip on the front of the front of the house and up and down the drive. It is amazingly bright. Far brighter than usual 10w LED flood that we keep outside the front door.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 08:21   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

We have stopped bursting crackers since many years. Doesn't make much of a sense with all adults and especially pets in the house.

Ban or no ban, most metros on diwali seem like a war zone with all the smoke, pollution and noise.
ninjatalli is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 08:36   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ban or no ban, most metros on diwali seem like a war zone with all the smoke, pollution and noise.
Do you think it's reduced in intensity over the years? I'm not home this year for Deepavali, but over the past few years I think the level of cracker bursting has gone down in Bangalore at least. I remember when we were kids, it was a 3-5 day thing, every evening till 10-11pm. (And I was an enthusiastic participant back then!) Don't see that these days, or perhaps I'm mistaken.

(Over the years have lost the appetite for smoke and noise, I now enjoy diyas and watching rockets.)
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 08:55   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Like many others I work the telephone on Diwali to personally wish myriad relatives, colleagues, business associates etc. I'm not one for those WhatsApp memes. This Diwali I had to be careful not to call several who had lost a family member to covid19. And there were quite a few of those. More than I realized.
V.Narayan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 09:09   #742
BHPian

Though I have stopped burning crackers long ago, restarted it for my two girls who started talking about crackers almost three months back. My cousin bought few boxes last week from Hosur. Traveled to in - laws place on Tuesday and along with their cousins the two girls had a real blast.

So may continue for few more years.

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-20211105090518.jpg

Wish you all a happy, safe and prosperous Deepavali.

- Girish
girishv is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 10:02   #743
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at the real-time air quality index now (10 AM, 05-Nov-2021) across India. North Indian air quality seems to be at hazardous levels but the southern part seems to be ok. However, it is not just the north that celebrates Diwali. So I am doubtful about the role of Diwali firecrackers contributing significantly to air pollution. Yes, it may be just a temporary blip in a very small time window.

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-air.jpg
clevermax is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 10:09   #744
Senior - BHPian

My two kids ran through a few boxes of sparklers for this Deepavali and that was that
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 10:12   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
North Indian air quality seems to be at hazardous levels but the southern part seems to be ok. However, it is not just the north that celebrates Diwali. So I am doubtful about the role of Diwali firecrackers contributing significantly to air pollution. Yes, it may be just a temporary blip in a very small time window.
North India pollution levels are mainly due to crop stubble burning. This is compounded by the north westerly winds during winters plus the dew effect. Firecrackers do add to it but not as much as other issues. Air was bad since 3rd November morning at many places across NCR.
BoneCollector is online now   (38) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:19   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
https://m.timesofindia.com/city/delh...w/87527749.cms
What is the Fun and Use of this type of celebrations?
People were tired of one particular religion being admonished very frequently for various reasons, while everyone soft pedalled around others. Slowly that tiredness has turned into smouldering anger. Now people have begun to thumb their noses and ignore government/court bans,even those who had stopped buying crackers are now deliberately buying and firing them. If everyone violates the ban everywhere, whom will you arrest and how? The ban has become a laughing stock.

The government,courts and corporates should realize too much sermonizing and admonishing during diwali is getting them the opposite results. Better to stop and rethink their strategy. And cut down the overactive "social reformers" to size. If tempers cool, the situation will automatically improve.
Gansan is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 12:22   #747
ike
BHPian

I had decided to not burn any crackers, however my neighbor invited me and my son to burn crackers along with his kids and it would have been remarkably rude to refuse. Had to.
Old 5th November 2021, 14:02   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
People were tired of one particular religion being admonished very frequently for various reasons, while everyone soft pedalled around others.
I don't think firecrackers have anything to do with religion. All of us friends from different religions used to enjoy bursting crackers with equal enthusiasm. We've stopped not because we belong or don't belong to a particular faith but because we've become old and can't handle the noise and smoke anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
...even those who had stopped buying crackers are now deliberately buying and firing them.
But I guess ultimately they and their children too have to breathe that same air. Well, if they're ok with it and making a statement is worth that, then fair enough.

Last edited by am1m : 5th November 2021 at 14:04.
am1m is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 14:14   #749
Senior - BHPian

The day I stop using cars, ac, mobile phones and all the modern comforts is the day I start taking seriously those who advice me to stop fire crackers in the name of pollution. I have a pet and he loves Diwali and is with us bursting crackers. The last one who gave me gyan about no to crackers, smokes 1 packet cigarette a day. I love their hypocricy and they respect my arrogance to swat them away.
VW2010 is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 14:39   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The day I stop using cars, ac, mobile phones and all the modern comforts is the day I start taking seriously those who advice me to stop fire crackers in the name of pollution.
You think crackers are a modern conveniences? Doesn't make any actual logical sense.

There are good things old and new; there are bad things old and new. We need to choose each one on its merits. Would you argue the same as a reason to make your family ruin its health cooking with wood?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (40) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks