Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 13:18   #646
BHPian

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Perhaps the day is not too far when foreworks will become extinct altogather. I let my kids (albeit restricted only to fireworks and not crackers) enjoy the experience that we had done unrestrictedly in our childhood days.
Old 25th October 2019, 15:43   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Crackers, perse, NO but I still love to cracks some rounds on the GUN TOY, The paper strip ones, I don't like those Chinese ones with PLASTIC pellets that we get these days.

Reminiscence of younger days as that was the first indicator that Diwali was nearby.
The gun would get jammed after our over ABUSE use & then we would move to bursting those strips between stones or get real hardcore & use hammers from dad's toolbox.
Getting more experimental, we would use heavy duty PLIERS by placing each pellet between teeth of Plier & then bang the plier on the hard surface.
AH, those were the days.

Who remembers them??
Attachment 1926880

Regards-Sonu
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Actually the 'caps' were called 'Roll Caps' (used in toy guns) and 'Dot Caps' for which one had to use a contraption with a nut & bolt and two washers in between. Load the dot caps within the washers, tighten the bolt on the nut and hurl it - BANG!

Even more adventurous way to burst roll caps was to scrape the strip over a rough surface so as to ignite the chemical using friction - and land up with burnt finger ends!!
Ah, yes indeed... caps! small rolls in little cardboard containers. Very much a part of my British childhood, along with the toy guns into which they were loaded. And yes, many were exploded by just hitting with a stone, or scraping the stone along the strip.

I will drape some LED lights around the front of the house. Amazing that these can now be powered by small batteries or solar boxes, so do not even have to be near a socket.

I've always had a warm feeling for Diwali. It is something that this old atheist-with-Hindu-leanings can easily celebrate in the name of letting there be light, in the world and in all our lives.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 16:51   #648
BHPian

Diwali is all about crackers and fireworks. One day in a year and I enjoy it to the core. This is one aspect of this festival that makes us all to wait for one whole year.

Though I’m concerned about the pollution, I go by this meme
Attached Thumbnails
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-af219376075047308fe37d0c2ffb151e.jpeg  

Last edited by saisree : 25th October 2019 at 16:52.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 17:01   #649
Team-BHP Support

I didn't burn crackers for ~20 years. My daughter wants to, the harmless ones and I won't deny her.

I am sure, the money on crackers can be spent somewhere else, but, sometimes, you can't put practicality everywhere.

I am sure, as time passes by, she will become aware of the cracker's malice and she would do as she pleases.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 21:09   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Though I’m concerned about the pollution, I go by this meme
Which amounts to... things are bad, let's make them worse.

Disclosure: Most of my comments on this thread are negative, but I have admitted before, and will again now, that I will probably enjoy watching the show. Most of us would have to admit liking fireworks.
Old 25th October 2019, 21:28   #651
Senior - BHPian

Anyway, modern kids don't seem to have even an iota of interest in crackers. All are after gadgets.
The sparklers that I bought last year are still lying unused in some corner No takers absolutely.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th October 2019 at 21:29.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 22:28   #652
BHPian

Will miss the smell of grey powder exploding. The ban seems like an over—kill.
Old 25th October 2019, 23:38   #653
BHPian

Crackers are an integral part of Diwali along with Lights, Sweets and Gifts. It just wouldn't be Diwali if there are no crackers. I surely plan to burst them along with my kids.
Old 26th October 2019, 15:17   #654
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi/NCR, crackers are not available easily (at least in my area). There is only 1 shop around selling green crackers. Under green crackers they have the option of sparkles, fountain, and sky shots. Prices are on the higher side - Rs.100 for a pack of sparkles.

Bought a few packs of sparkles for this Diwali.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 18:25   #655
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The sparklers that I bought last year are still lying unused in some corner No takers absolutely.
Yes, similar situation at our home, have a few crackers left over from last year, decided not to buy any this year.

The school curriculum includes environmental studies that discourages use of crackers and it seems to have made a huge impact on children who just don't want to be anywhere near crackers.

I'm all for going green, but not buying even a single box of sparklers & flower pots feels rather odd after all these years. Looks like it's going to be only lamps/diyas for symbolism.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 21:19   #656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The school curriculum includes environmental studies that discourages use of crackers and it seems to have made a huge impact on children who just don't want to be anywhere near crackers.
Yes, I've received 'gyan' that crackers are bad for the environment, adds to global warming and its like burning money and so on. The curriculum also includes safety hazard awareness, sensitivity about lighting crackers near animals and other people. It definitely has made a huge impact on young minds. Quite different from the older gen mindset where we use to look forward to Diwali every year as kids, just to get our hands on crackers.
I will still light some minimal fireworks. Old habits, will need to wean out of them gradually.

On the same lines, road safety and road rules must be a mandatory subject every year from std 1 to X. If we want a safety conscious and rules abiding society, we need to catch them young.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 26th October 2019 at 21:38.
Old 26th October 2019, 22:44   #657
Senior - BHPian

Diwali won't be complete without fireworks in TN. Even the oldest members in the family will light at least a couple of sparklers, it is a custom. Bought just for Rs 1000 today from a direct factory outlet, it just filled a carry bag! Remembered buying a sackful for the same amount of money in the not too distant past!
Old 26th October 2019, 23:30   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly - in fact already set off the first lot. Staying away from noisy bombs - but Diwali without flower pots and zameen chakkars does not work.
Old 27th October 2019, 11:02   #659
BHPian

Last burnt crackers 4 years back. Never touched it afterwards.

I am happy that these dangerous and harmful substances are finally on a decline. They are one of the major industries using children as labourers. These children should be going to school and not to be employed in such a dangerous industry. These are literally tiny bombs. They are transported and stored in an unregulated way. Often the shops are in crowded markets. Any mistake here can prove to be costly.

Today I have not heard a single cracker. Its all peaceful and calm. India should be a role model and do a blanket ban on crackers. Its a shame we are promoting the cracker industry and at the same time advocating Climate Change prevention strategies at global forums
Old 27th October 2019, 11:34   #660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

I am happy that these dangerous and harmful substances are finally on a decline. They are one of the major industries using children as labourers. These children should be going to school and not to be employed in such a dangerous industry. These are literally tiny bombs. They are transported and stored in an unregulated way. Often the shops are in crowded markets. Any mistake here can prove to be costly.

Today I have not heard a single cracker. Its all peaceful and calm. India should be a role model and do a blanket ban on crackers. Its a shame we are promoting the cracker industry and at the same time advocating Climate Change prevention strategies at global forums
The child labour story is at least a generation old and does not exist as of 2019.

Bursting crackers is a personal wish. You have have the right to impringe on others right to burst crackers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks