Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 09:24   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

A different perspective from Wion -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:24   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xway View Post
why just Diwali which is one day of the year...Yes, the pollution levels are extreme, and starts much before Diwali and throughout the year, but singling out a tradition and banning is absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
As to pollution before and after Diwali?
Guys!! Diwali is jujubi!! Come to TN in the month of January (usually 13); it appears as if entire TN has lit on fire & an attempt to put out the fire has caused the smoke, like a post war zone, everything is covered in white thick smoke that makes a born baby to 100 year old elder & everyone in between to cough as if they're having an asthma attack. Sometimes reminds of Winters of DL where visibility is near 0, just that here we can hear everyone coughing!!

And the reason for this, ecstatic or not but, asthmatic experience is called Bhogi festival

Best part being, people "celebrate" dancing & playing music around the fire lighted throwing anything & everything into it except for any living beings!! And we also have audacity to say...
Will you burn crackers this diwali?-253919happynhogi.jpg

Atleast the firecrackers have restriction & the price of crackers are going up every year so we see a decline in trend, but this one? Most dangerous!! Costs nothing to throw anything unwanted (thank God until some form of law prevails to protect humans) into fire & the celebration never ceases year after year!!

Last edited by aargee : 6th November 2021 at 09:49.
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:31   #768
BHPian

As a wise person once said - Crackers don't kill animals. Slaughter houses do. Happy Diwali. And looking forward to the 24 hours fireworks display for the new years eve ... ALL OVER THE WORLD..
Naetik30 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:32   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why should I be made to put up with YOUR smoke and noise?
I don't want to get into debate of whether to burst crackers or not if it is just limited to the liking of individuals. But as someone suggested, even I started believing that there is an agenda behind this initiative of broadcast against crackers. Hence this clarification and response to your question.

As per statistics of 2018, only 2.6% of the overall population own cars. Why should remaining 97.4% inhale polluted air because of these 2.6% population in India? and ther pollution caused by flights, trains, other transport means are not counted in the above pollution.

And, what about industrial pollution which is generated 24*7? What about radio active pollution created by nuclear industries? How about e-waste generated by IT industries? And the list goes on. All these are considered essentials for development of the country.

Is there any computation to compare the amount of pollution created by these above means through out the year versus one day pollution created by crackers?

If no voice is raised against any of these pollution but all noise is just against crackers, don't we smell fishy situation and a hidden agenda behind the noise?

At least, I am convinced that there is an agenda. Hence we decided to burst crackers this time.

Last edited by gkveda : 6th November 2021 at 09:34.
gkveda is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:07   #770

It is shocking to see people defending an activity which generates so much unnecessary pollution. Especially since we are on the brink of an environmental tipping point.
Fishtail is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:20   #771
Senior - BHPian

I am not so much riled up about the smoke part of the firecrackers since the argument about 24x7x365 pollution is a valid one. But the noise is what really gets me. If one has a dedicated or fixed 15 -30 minutes of using bangers then one can suffer it or make alternatives if possible. But the randomness of these types of crackers for the better part of the evening is what causes more stress than anything else.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:54   #772
BHPian

I think the opinions both for and against the crackers are too strong vs what’s needed. Personally I am ok with following traditions and we did as well. I made sure to buy only green crackers form reputable brands.

I don’t care about so called celebrities giving free gyan. Most of these guys who call for cracker ban are the ones celebrating new year fireworks abroad or are shown enjoying fireworks at their own events.

We can share our opinions on the matter but have no right to infringe or rub opinions on others. As long as this is followed, I am good.
charanreddy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:01   #773
BHPian

Diwali has been celebrated for several millennia, but I doubt people have been bursting fire crackers that long, so that whole "tradition" argument is out the window. Is it noisy and disturbing? Yes, but I can live with that. I don't burst crackers and if there are a few chaps bursting crackers, I don't mind.

BUT, when every state, city, town and village starts bursting crackers at the same time, pollution levels are off the charts, not to mention it sounds like an actual warzone. Obviously, crackers ought to be banned. Just look at the news, pollution levels in Chennai are off the charts just like in every other major city. All these arguments defending crackers are ironic to say the least, because people are encouraging poisoning the air they breathe for a day of noise? Please look at the news, seriously.
hrk997 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:03   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

The week before Diwali and now the 2 days after Diwali have witnessed absolutely the worst pollution days in Delhi-NCR in the whole year so far. The ban on fireworks was in place and while there were some violations the ban held by and large. Time the all knowing courts and our weak kneed politicians finally understood where the pollution stems from instead of going for politically visible easy pickings of fireworks on a day or two in the year. Stubble burning & prevailing winds.

To permit or not to permit fireworks is a political issue. Without a doubt it does have a role to play in spiking pollution on two days of the year and making a bad situation worse. But to term it as a primary factor is to miss the woods for the trees. And if modes of celebration of ancient festivals are to be curbed let it apply equally to all festivals of all religions.

If the move against fire works especially the noisy ones had remained a social trend their usage would have declined on its own gradually over a decade or so. Unfortunately the courts and sermonizing liberals have forced people to dig in their heels - the very people who otherwise would most probably have reduced their fireworks usage of their own volition.
V.Narayan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:29   #775
Senior - BHPian

The cracker industry was a handicraft/cottage industry before the 20th century in India. Firework was reserved for kings & the elite. The advent of factories and mass production enabled access to fireworks for the masses. The current fireworks available in the market weren't available 100 years back.

Crackers at weddings are very localized events and last for a few minutes. Might be this won't be noticed a few blocks away. Fireworks at New Year parties are mostly conducted at paid events, which are again localized and few.

During Deepavali, the entire country burns crackers and the scale far exceeds any other cracker burning event. Hence there is air pollution, sound pollution and since it involves fire, kids there are fire accidents. People who are affected oppose crackers. I don't think there is an agenda or pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
At least, I am convinced that there is an agenda.
People have no issue burning oil lamps, candles even though it causes carbon emission. But they raise concerns with crackers. Could it be crackers emitting sound, smoke at ground level, and cause discomfort, affect health?

Likewise, though smokers can claim it is their money, their health they are affecting other health by their smoking action.

Last edited by msdivy : 6th November 2021 at 12:33.
msdivy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:40   #776
BHPian

Like many i used to burn lot of crackers in school years. Since last decade or more have completely stopped and only this past 2-3 years after marriage and with my daughter bit older do i burn a box or two of firecrackers like sparklers, flower pot or ground spinner to celebrate the occasion. Don't know what changed since past years but the smoke these crackers produce is lot lot more than i remember.

This year i also wanted to do this with my camera

Re: the politics. It's the same tactic being used how Christmas is dying in US.
AnandB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:44   #777
BHPian

Slightly off topic:

As we debate whether firecracker bursting is good or bad we have forgotten how the cracker ban has destroyed firecracker Industry in India more so in the town of Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu.

Aren't we accountable to these people also, whose lives we have destroyed due to constant changing rules culminating into a ban on firecracker. As a matter of fact they have complied with every ruling of court, eco warriors. Ultimately everyone pays a price directly or indirectly. We need sensible rules and regulations not unscientific ban.

P.S
Delhi's pollution has increased since 2013 which had been on decline since 2000s. Main reason is rampant construction activity in Delhi and NCR and change of sowing season from june/july to September/ October.
FrozeninTime is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:07   #778
BHPian

It’s been almost a decade that I have left firing crackers not just in Diwali but in other events too (maybe I’m getting older), this doesn’t mean that I would preach that don’t burn crackers or as a revenge burn crackers, to each his own, if you like it then go ahead and if you don’t like it then there’s no need for moral policing. I mean, if crackers pollute in Diwali then they equally do in political rallies, in new year, in Singapore grand prix too. I think we are overlooking the elephant in the room and going for some people appeasing policies to gain share.

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-eea19197f1d0452d9ed7c4d048e81fd6.jpeg

We need to address the sectors which are the biggest emitters on a priority basis and not run after few like automobile sector by pushing strict & expensive emission norms down our throat in this already precarious times. Unregulated industrial emissions, our garbage burning habits, energy sector and many more really need a sustainable approach. I really hope that we as a nation are able to comply with the recently made promises at COP26 in Glasgow.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 6th November 2021 at 13:11. Reason: Grammar
sachin_cs is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:41   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't bursted a cracker for atleast 10 years and not against crackers either. I love the ones which makes lesser noise and is more visual. Absolutely can't stand the loud ones which annoys me big.

I don't think this needs a blanket ban, however very strict measures to ban really loud ones are required. I was on my terrace on Diwali day at 7 pm and the sky was nice. In about 15 mins, it was filled with smog and frankly, I was a little taken aback.

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-pxl_20211104_134244862.night.jpg

Will you burn crackers this diwali?-pxl_20211104_134227432.night.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th November 2021 at 13:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:30   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post

Last year, I had created a post on Facebook which I am sharing here too.

Looking forward for people to rise above religion and think of humanity
Sad to say this, but I will tell you what will happen over the next 30 years.

Now: Don't burst crackers, light a diya instead
After 10 years: Just light 'one' diya, save the environment
After 20 years: Light a candle, diya is old fashioned.
After 30 years: ....... you know it.

The more you yield, the more you will be expected to yield. Resist it the first time, and every single time.

I want my children to feel excited and have happy memories of celebrating my favourite religious festival which I would love them to pass on to their children and on. I am willing to cycle to work for the next 1 month to do my part to bring down the pollution but wouldn't want to compromise on the firecrackers. Ever.

Children don't get excited to light a diya. Sweets, they get to eat through out the year these days. Only firecrackers excite them and precisely for this reason firecrackers are getting targetted.

When you kill the excitement for a festival in children, you kill the festival for the next generation.

Last edited by Geta : 6th November 2021 at 14:45.
Geta is offline   (89) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks