Team-BHP > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: Will you burn crackers this diwali?
Yes 262 35.26%
No 428 57.60%
Maybe 53 7.13%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:53   #556
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 1,422 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Precisely why the courts had to step in with the justification “We feel that Article 25 (right to religion) is subject to Article 21 (right to life)''.
Anyways, if your point is that crackers should be banned due to their harmful effect on air quality, may I humbly ask if you or the supreme court has any scientific evidence that diwali crackers are the reason for the poor AQI across northern India currently ? If yes please quote the study, if not then please stop preaching unscientific opinions.

Thank you.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd November 2018 at 20:04. Reason: Deleting provocative content. Civil discussions ONLY please. Thank you!
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 5th November 2018, 13:07   #557
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 217
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Will definitely burn fireworks this Diwali, like earlier years. Tomorrow, SC will ban all cars except "Green Cars". Go figure what these green cars are.

Banning each and everything is the easiest thing to do for governments and courts, as tackling the real problem is too much of work for them.
VineetG is offline  
Old 5th November 2018, 13:16   #558
Senior - BHPian
 
deehunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 1,917 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

It has become a matter of pride for constitutional bodies to play with the religious sentiments, first let the honorable SC take a strong action against all other kinds of pollution, then we will think of not burning crackers.
deehunk is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 04:45   #559
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 23,558
Thanked: 19,973 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
If yes please quote the study, if not then please stop preaching unscientific opinions.

Thank you.
So you are saying that the AQI the day after Diwali night is not worse than the
that the day before? I think that is the unscientific opinion.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 05:46   #560
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,521
Thanked: 834 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Here is a short summary and link to the judgment.

http://scobserver.clpr.org.in/beyond...f-firecrackers

Quote:
Delivering its decision in the PIL today, the Court has ruled that though there will be no absolute ban, only the sale of less polluting green crackers will be permissible and the same may only be sold by licensed traders. Firecrackers are not to be sold on E-commerec websites. Further, the Court has restricted that bursting of firecrackers between 8pm-10pm on Diwali in designated areas alone. The time restrictions have also been imposed of bursting of firecrackers on other occassions, namely Christmas Eve & NewYear's Eve, on which days crackers may only be burst between 11:45pm -12:45am.



On 30.10.2018, however, the Court modified its order with regard to the time slot for bursting crackers and granted the respective State Governments the liberty to fix the time slot for bursting firecrackers. The same could however not exceed 2 hours. This was done pursuant to a plea filed by the State of Tamil Nadu and UT of Puducheery seeking permission to burst crackers between 4:30am and 6:30am in accordance with their local traditions.



The Court further clarified that the direction for use of green crackers was limited to the National Capital Territory Region as manufacturing the same was not feasible acros India.
Essentially only a time restriction is in place and Delhi can only burst the low smoke variety of the crackers. I think it a pretty fair judgment.

I have some idiots near my house, who make it a habit to scare the kids at home by bursting crackers in the name of Diwali at 3AM.
govigov is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 06:54   #561
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,242
Thanked: 1,422 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So you are saying that the AQI the day after Diwali night is not worse than the
that the day before? I think that is the unscientific opinion.
Kindly read my comments properly. I had asked if there is any scientific study that crackers were the reason for the poor AQI across northern India currently?

If your intention is to curb pollution and improve AQI, then one should target the principal culprits. I'm certain that crackers are not the principal reason. Would love to be corrected if you have any scientific study to prove me wrong.
Lalvaz is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 06:58   #562
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Hayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 7,691 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Happy Diwali all. We are not bursting crackers this Diwali as my 11 year old son has been brainwashed by his school and friends into assuming (without any data) that Diwali crackers cause an unacceptable pollution burden. And I am feeling even more miserable about it than I thought I would when I gave in to his demand. Diwali morning without crackers does not feel like Diwali. Well, at least the traditional South Indian oil bath has not been banned yet. Enjoy.
Hayek is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 09:16   #563
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,689
Thanked: 2,147 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

I have no qualm on burning crackers. What I don't like about crackers is the firework industry. There are multiple issues like safety, tax evasion, labor issues, including employing child labor. Then there is the practice quoting high MRP and the selling at a huge discount, say a Rs 2000 MRP box is sold at Rs 200, with 90% discount. Appears like a shady business and don't want to contribute to it. That would be my personal reason for not buying crackers for deepavali or any other occasion. But, depending on the insistence of my family & friends, I have bought crackers for their satisfaction.
msdivy is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 12:32   #564
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,017
Thanked: 11,393 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Deepavali literally means a string of lamps in Samskrutha.
That's why we call Deepavali or Diwali as a festival of lights.
Deepavali is celebrated on the 18th day after Dasara. It is to mark the day of Rama, Sita and Lakshmana returning from Exile to Ayodhya after defeating Ravana. People welcomed them with lights and thereby marking the Victory of light over darkness, Victory of good over evil.

The earliest text versions of Ramayana are from 7th century BC so Deepavali is a much older festival than that.
Now the firecrackers. It is supposed to have been invented in China somewhere in 9th century AD.
So it's clear that fireworks were never part of the Deepavali traditions and it was adopted later...at least 1500 years later!

What I also infer is people at that time were so open to changing their traditions and adopting something new and better available. But now I see that people say fireworks have always been our tradition and we'll light fireworks even if it means violation an Apex Court's ruling! And some more people want to light more than usual in protest to that ruling!!

From 9th century till 21st century...1200+ years later...times surely have changed. We are already polluting in many other ways. I don't see any point in adding to it unnecessarily behind the reason of what is perceived to be a tradition. One individual not lighting fireworks one day may not make a huge difference. But many individuals not lighting fireworks will surely make a difference. If not for us for our children for sure.
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 14:46   #565
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 2,848
Thanked: 31,315 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

This is the quietest Diwali I have witnessed after last years blanket ban. Celebration with crackers can only happen at fixed hours in the evening thanks to the Supreme Court. People seem to follow it - such is the fear of the SC.

The schools teach the children that fire works and colours are bad!! The courts tell us how we should celebrate our festivals !! Maybe the courts can use their wisdom and clout to get our traffic indiscipline sorted out too.
V.Narayan is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 15:09   #566
Distinguished - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,942
Thanked: 3,252 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
So it's clear that fireworks were never part of the Deepavali traditions and it was adopted later...at least 1500 years later! ....
From 9th century till 21st century...1200+ years later...times surely have changed.
We only started driving cars a 100 odd years ago. So technically we should be able to give that up soon too, correct?

Most traditions are passed on generation to generation though the base reason may be the same. The reason why some of us find this offensive is it is only targeted at fireworks during this festival or water being wasted during another. I have had enough of being told what to do with little to no visibility of such rules being applied across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
We are already polluting in many other ways. I don't see any point in adding to it unnecessarily behind the reason of what is perceived to be a tradition. One individual not lighting fireworks one day may not make a huge difference. But many individuals not lighting fireworks will surely make a difference. If not for us for our children for sure.
Sure, let us start with major sources of pollution. It is all good to think about our next generation. But to save for their future, a bigger amount needs to be put away than putting a coin in a piggy bank.
selfdrive is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 15:18   #567
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,532
Thanked: 2,515 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Crackers give off an acrid smoke, and noise, that I know is polluting. BUT, in our building there are four kids of about the same age (one of whom is my son) who are all enthusiastic about crackers. I don't want to be the party pooper because I think official machinery is doing a damned fine job of it.

So I will light crackers. My way of cocking a snook at the powers that be.
KiloAlpha is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 15:43   #568
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,017
Thanked: 11,393 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
We only started driving cars a 100 odd years ago. So technically we should be able to give that up soon too, correct?
Correct but driving cars has advantages but come with pollution as a side effect. I don't see any positives in fireworks. Anyway, If we start arguing there will be no end to this.

Quote:
Most traditions are passed on generation to generation though the base reason may be the same. The reason why some of us find this offensive is it is only targeted at fireworks during this festival or water being wasted during another. I have had enough of being told what to do with little to no visibility of such rules being applied across the board.
When the second most populated country in the world, does something all at once, it's a huge thing and of course it will be targeted. This is just like how you wrote that we should start with major things.

Quote:
Sure, let us start with major sources of pollution. It is all good to think about our next generation. But to save for their future, a bigger amount needs to be put away than putting a coin in a piggy bank.
Sure yes, we should attack major issues. In no way I'm saying that we shouldn't do anything about pollution by other bigger sources of pollution. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about small things. Little droplets make the ocean!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th November 2018 at 15:47.
hemanth.anand is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 18:01   #569
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,729
Thanked: 16,646 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
We only started driving cars a 100 odd years ago. So technically we should be able to give that up soon too, correct?
Using the same fuels that we use today, yes: very correct!
Quote:
Most traditions are passed on generation to generation though the base reason may be the same.
So it doesn't matter if the expression gets changed a bit, right?
Quote:
The reason why some of us find this offensive is it is only targeted at fireworks during this festival or water being wasted during another. I have had enough of being told what to do with little to no visibility of such rules being applied across the board.
So you are turning this into a political issue. You don't mind being told not to do something if someone else is told they can't do something else. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with religion... although sentiments, maybe.
Quote:
Sure, let us start with major sources of pollution. It is all good to think about our next generation. But to save for their future, a bigger amount needs to be put away than putting a coin in a piggy bank.
A lot of laws, a lot of court orders, are not properly thought out. Talking about only buying "green" fireworks, for instance, when the stock is made and about to be sold, seems wrong. The manufacturers should have at least a full year's notice.

Anyway, as we speak, the noise has been steadily increasing all afternoon. No effective restrictions here!
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 6th November 2018, 18:10   #570
Distinguished - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,942
Thanked: 3,252 Times
Default Re: Will you burn crackers this diwali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
So you are turning this into a political issue. You don't mind being told not to do something if someone else is told they can't do something else. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with religion... although sentiments, maybe.A lot of laws, a lot of court orders, are not properly thought out.
I am not turning anything. It is what it is. Let us see the same sermons at any other time of the year and I will happily abide.
In our case, schools are locally educating children on what should be done. This has a bigger impact than any adhoc rulings that come up overnight or through overzealous policing. If they are so interested, a lot of people die every year in accidents due to non implementation of traffic rules or shoddy traffic infratsructure. They should start there as some others have said earlier.

Disposable plastic bags have been banned in MH and we are all reaping the benefits of that already and will continue to do so in the long run. So it is not as if we do not support rulings or initiatives, but they need to be applied to all. Else it is like increasing income tax for tax payers because many others evade it.
Wait, now I did turn it to something else

And you bring an interesting point. If something needs to be banned, it should start at the manufacturing end. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to push the on us onto buyers/ users.

Happy festival season to all and your families and friends. Stay safe

Last edited by selfdrive : 6th November 2018 at 18:17.
selfdrive is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks