Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, two people have been arrested in connection with the molestation case.
Mumbai molestation case: Two arrested
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:07   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Errr... It isn't that freely available; but I guess what you mean is it is a normal thing to happen in a relationship that is not necessarily going to lead to marriage, which is largely true.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:08   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
What do u mean??? Where does it say that women can not come out and celebrate the new year? Its the duty of the cops to make sure that each and every one of us feels safe when we step out of our houses.
true but it is also carelessness
forget about women even men avoid from getting into such crowded areas

not that the victims deserved it,but being there has too be some protective from your side too
police are not bodyguards to look after you everywhere
so you must be reasonable and sensible
i am a MAN i dont have o worry about rape,but yes i have a threat of being robbed and getting killed while in the process of getting looted

so what i do is avoid carrying expensive accesories when in a vulnerable environment
now if i failed to do so and get robbed i cant say law allows me to do so

believe me i find this incident much more embarrasing

by the way were those foreigners?
if hats the case we cannot blame those poor ladies for anything and any neglegence

Last edited by AMATMO : 3rd January 2008 at 23:10.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

Amatmo, the women were from California.. NRIs.
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:41   #110
BHPian

I seriously doubt that it is the lack of openess about the topics mentioned which leads to this.
I lived in Indonesia for a long time and it is a Islam following country with 95% population Islamic. However the society is as helpful and as tolerant as they come. The topics mentioned are taboo there too but the younger crowd is more experimental. They are brought up in the same environment as us however the sense of right and wrong is very deeply instilled in them. Rules of the law and society are honored and respected. They are as respectful towards their family as us. But they are much more respectful towards each other than we are, even towards younger people. It is considered a matter of personal integrity to follow the law. For example you will never find them blaring horns at each other or breaking lane change rules.

So i guess that it starts at home and the people who do this actually have very little respect for others. It is probably because they have seen their parents disregard the laws , of society as well as the book of law, and they have no fear of the upholders of these laws. Hence they feel that they can do anything to women and they will get away with it.

Sorry for using laws of the road as examples as they are very unimportant compared to the awful incident but it made it easier to explain.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:17   #111
BHPian

According to the news, one of the arrested was brought to the police station by the parents.... It is good to see that some parents are willing to act in responsible manner and not hide/protect their child as we all have seen all too often in various incidents!
Old 4th January 2008, 11:10   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ok, so whats the definition of proper clothes?
Jeans? Suit? Sari , Salwar?
Maybe wrap themseleves in Jute bags.

I am really glad that there are people in this country who have realized that the women are at fault, and the molesters were giving them whats due.
Hats off to you dude. I am really in awe and admiration of your thinking.
I am yet to come across such a progressive thinking dude
Friend, you have got me wrong. The fault lies with those PERVERTS.
This incident started with eve teasing. What women should do is to dress properly and try not to be outside during odd hours. There are anti social elements outside and the best thing women can do is to take precautions. Proper clothes are clothes which helps to hide their beauty than to disclose it. Its upto them to decide whether they want to use sari, salwar, suit, parda or even a jute bag.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th January 2008 at 11:20.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:23   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
According to the news, one of the arrested was brought to the police station by the parents.... It is good to see that some parents are willing to act in responsible manner and not hide/protect their child as we all have seen all too often in various incidents!
The mistake parents do is to protect their children. I did not expect those anti social elements to have responsible parents.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:29   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Friend, you have got me wrong. The fault lies with those PERVERTS.
This incident started with eve teasing. What women should do is to dress properly and try not to be outside during odd hours. There are anti social elements outside and the best thing women can do is to take precautions. Proper clothes are clothes which helps to hide their beauty than to disclose it. Its upto them to decide whether they want to use sari, salwar, suit, parda or even a jute bag.
This is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS line of reasoning. Curtailing of personal freedoms in order to pander to the sentiments of a largely uneducated and illiterate mob will have tremendously bad consequences for all concerned. Who decides what "proper clothes" or "odd hours" are? You?
Old 4th January 2008, 11:43   #115
BHPian

it is time the government relooked into the rules and laws, with the population crossing 100 crores +, it is quite an herculean task to attain whatever social equality and peace we all crave for.

the country of late is going down in its morale values, we can see irresponsible people everywhere where there is no respect for other fellow country men be in terms of driving or conversing or anything for that matter.

for each and every law breaking activity it finally comes down to paying money and getting off, from a few rs to few lakhs of rs you can do anything and get away with it, that is the current condition, the govt has to instill FEAR in the minds of the citizens that whatever wrong doing will be severly punished, without which, the place will not be a peaceful country for our next generation to live.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:48   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
This is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS line of reasoning. Curtailing of personal freedoms in order to pander to the sentiments of a largely uneducated and illiterate mob will have tremendously bad consequences for all concerned. Who decides what "proper clothes" or "odd hours" are? You?
We are living in India!! Forget women, MEN are not safe in Ring Road in the night. Its better to be safe than to be sorry later. As long as our system cannot protect us, we are unsafe.

I see the reaction of men (includes educated and literate guys) when the Kingfisher air hostessess pass by my road. I live next to Bangalore airport. A girl passing by in decent clothes does not get any attention.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 4th January 2008 at 11:51.
Old 4th January 2008, 11:51   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Sorry if this is already posted but it seems that the couple was NRI & didnt not press any charges since they were supposed to leave back to US in a day or two.
You got that only partially right. As per reports in the TOI they were a Gujratis who had come to india to get married, and it was an arranged marriage. After the wedding in their home town, they came to Mumbai to celebrate New Year's and then this horrible incident took place.

The couples initially planned on staying in Mumbai for two fortnights before they returned back to the US, but following the incident they want to leave at the earliest, and are not interested in even filing a case. Cant blame them, knowing the crappy justice system in our country.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:14   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
We are living in India!! Forget women, MEN are not safe in Ring Road in the night. Its better to be safe than to be sorry later. As long as our system cannot protect us, we are unsafe.

I see the reaction of men (includes educated and literate guys) when the Kingfisher air hostessess pass by my road. I live next to Bangalore airport. A girl passing by in decent clothes does not get any attention.
I agree with you. Instead of talking about what attire a lady should wear, I guess we should talk about what we should be learning from this very unfortunate incident. My learnings are:
  1. Not to move out at an odd hour as much as possible(Applicable to both men and women). However, exceptions may exist (Job/duty hours)
  2. If there are ladies with me and I need to move out (let's take this case, ask the ladies to wait inside the premises of the hotel and I would go and fetch the car whatever hour of the day it is).
  3. Let's not talk what a lady should wear. Every person has the right to decide what one should be wearing/not wearing. They say, one should wear sari but I guess a saree if not draped correctly reveals more than what a skirt/Jeans/Tops reveal. Let's not talk on this point further as this is my view.
  4. We are talking that one should carry pepper spray etc etc for safety. However, it is not possible to do that always.
What the govt/ Police should learn:
  1. Instead of blaming the poor souls who were molested, they should increase the nos patrolling teams/Vehicles and please stop this blame game.
  2. Areas are marked for the polices stations and not the citizens. Lodge the complaint and then forward the same immediately to the concerned station. Do not tell the citizen that its not their area and not their headache.
  3. Increase the payments/living conditions of the police so that even they are sensitive to the concerns of the citizens rather than talking about their own plights. ( Have heard this many a times from the police when you go there to lodge a complaint or any assistance).
  4. Make the laws stringent so that such people are not left scot free.
Am I missing something. I know I might get some brickbats here but I am ready to face them. These are my views and I think they can be implemented effectively.

Last edited by amtak : 4th January 2008 at 13:15.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:22   #119
Team-BHP Support

Amit what you have said is very logical and wise to follow, according to me.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:01   #120
BHPian

Amit, you made some very good points. A number of commonsense practices that people can follow to ensure their own security, without compromising on personal freedoms.

Also, there was a very good opinion piece by Jug Suraiya on page 9 of today's TOI (Bangalore edition) regarding this incident.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 4th January 2008 at 14:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks