Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 23:04   #5521
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Does anyone here owns or has had a Bergamont bike ? Visited a local bike shop and he was strongly vouching for it. Surprisingly not many reviews online nor any reddit posts to read through about them :/
My local bike shop guy was strongly vouching for them as an excellent touring bike, so just thought I will check here.
Old 3rd April 2021, 20:59   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Gents,
I'm looking for a cycle for my wife, and occasionally for me to borrow. She's 5'1" and I'm 5'10". Looking for something light and women's style. Not looking for geared, but can buy one if only geared is available. From the bikes we looked at
Mach City Munich was nice, some schnells were nice, but wife had a hard time getting onto them with kurtas.
Main use is for City travel. Ideally a mach City W would have been perfect but they seem to be all sold out. Budget is 10k but can stretch a bit more.

Edit. Not looked at any decathlons because no dealers in my city I know there is a big height difference between us, the bike should mainly fit her. I can manage.

Update. Purchased a rock rider st20 in small size. Hope it fits!

Last edited by ampere : 4th April 2021 at 06:35. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 4th April 2021, 11:24   #5523
BHPian

Upgrade time - My Frankenstein Monster:

Triban RC100 comes with a two bolt stem instead of standard 4 bolts. Since this is a cheap bike, it is understandable that they need to cut corners in some places (or many places in case of RC100). I find this similar to Tata Nano that has three wheel lug nuts instead of 4 which other “normal” cars have. Not only this is an eyesore, I find the stem does not securely hold the handlebar. Handlebar tends to rotate whenever I cross a bad road or pothole, which is dangerous. I used to carry an Allen key whenever I ride and occasionally check and tighten the screws.

The Bicycles thread-0.jpg

Custom stem I bought from Decathlon:
The Bicycles thread-1.png

Stock (the one which I am holding) vs custom stem
The Bicycles thread-3.jpg

This is not ideal, to mitigate this problem, I bought an 80mm stem from Decathlon which is slightly shorter than the stock stem. I think the stock stem is 100mm. The Decathlon guys informed me that it is a direct fit for RC100 bike. However, that was not the case. More on that below.

Once I received the stem, I went to my nearby cycle shop for the stem change.

If you have RC100 and you want to upgrade, there are quite a few things you need to keep in mind. RC100 comes with non-standard road bike gears. As a result, swapping requires some kind of jugaad.

Problem 1:
This stem change required a spacer. Unfortunately, at least near to my place none of the shops had a spacer. After a few searches, I was able to get one for free from a newly opened shop. The problem is spacers are usually sold along with headset stem raiser.

New Spacer wallet damage: Rs: 0 (got it for free from a new bike shop)

The Bicycles thread-2.jpg

Problem 2: (Stem and handlebar compatibility)

The 80mm stem I bought is not compatible with the handlebar of the bike. The diameter of the handlebar is smaller than the stem. As a result, I have to purchase a handler bar from the bike shop (Shimano handlebar) which has a flat top. This was an unexpected expense. It also shows that do not take the Decathlon guys' words as a gospel.

New handle bar Wallet damage: Rs: 3500

Sorry for the shaky photos

The Bicycles thread-20210403_172616.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210403_172628.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210403_173232.jpg

Problem 3: (New handlebar tape)

Initially I thought of removing the old handlebar tape from the existing handlebar and use it on the new handlebar but that was not possible. When the mechanic tried to remove the tape, it disintegrated into pieces. This results in purchase of new handlebar tape. Thankfully the store has Fizik Vento (2.7mm) and Tempo (2mm) tapes. I went for the Fizik Vento tape. I went for slightly thicker tape since it will provide good cushioning compared to the other.

New handlebar tape wallet damage: Rs: 1550

The Bicycles thread-20210403_173713.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20210403_173722.jpg

Problem 4: (Gear shifter and handle bar compatibility)

This was a huge hurdle. Since the new Shimano handlebar has a flat top, placing the gear shifter was a problem. Gear shifter clamp was originally designed to fit in the small round handlebar. After some discussion and checking, finally the mechanic was able to find a big clamp and a big screw.

The big screw and the improperly fit handlebar tape is an eyesore for sure.

The Bicycles thread-20210404_072049.jpg

Similar custom screw that was used to fit the gear shifter

The Bicycles thread-20210404_072141.jpg

As you can see, the handlebar tape is not properly attached to the bike, but it is understandable since we have added a custom long screw to the gear shifter mechanism. After the Frankenstein job was completed yesterday night, today I rode some 24KM and so far so good. I have not faced any issue.

Brake pad update:
The Shimano 105 brake pads I fitted earlier are okay compared to stock brake pads. However, it is still not ideal. I think the rim’s brake grooves are not that deep.

Now with the upgrades (Shimano 105 brake pads, smaller stem, new handle bar, new seat and new bar tape) I have spent close to the cost of Triban RC120 including the cost of the bike.

This is how it looks
The Bicycles thread-20210404_072104.jpg

Comparison of stock vs new stem
The Bicycles thread-4.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2140379

Last edited by amvj : 4th April 2021 at 11:42.
Old 4th April 2021, 17:48   #5524
BHPian

Hello
All

I bent my crank on a speed breaker

I went to decathalon for a spare
However they said it could take upto 2 months

Instaed they adviced me to source the spare

Can someone help where I can by a spare
In South mumbai or online

Bike is
Riverside 120
36 spoke crank
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20210404_173617_copy_600x800.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20210404_173647_1_copy_600x800.jpg  

Old 5th April 2021, 15:45   #5525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Thanks,
-Eric
Eric hi, I'm using one of your posts to reply to so as to get your attention on a slightly out of the way request.

A cyclist friend of mine has had to move for a couple of months or more to his native village because his mother has hurt herself and has had surgery.

He's getting bored stiff out there without his bikes (a roadie, a fixie, and an mtb) and the cost and logistics of transporting one of them from here in Poona to his village is too much of a hassle.

So he's seriously thinking of picking up a simple rugged single speed bike for himself to ride around and explore, and does not need gears since its a pretty flat part of the world.

Since the nearest Decathlon is 120 km away, those bikes are out, especially anything that requires professional care like gears etc. The same holds true for any geared bike which in a remote village no one would be able to work on.

That leaves him with one bike that would not be out of place anywhere in India, even the remotest parts. the humble black roadster. He loves the idea of buying one. Especially with the fenders and a nice carrier!

Its been a long time since both of us have ridden roadsters and our knowledge of the preferred brands is very rudimentary. Hercules (premium). Atlas (strong, preferred by doodhwalas and tiffin walas). Avon (don't know). Hero (skeptical).

Also, there is a ton of inside stuff like the quality of the components used, the material and welding, etc. which we are clueless about. Cranks. Hubs. Forks. Rims and spokes. Brass nipples.

Also, there seems to be a big range in the gearing offered, both in terms of the teeth on the crank (40-48) as well as the freewheel (16-20). And wheel sizes too.

Could you give us some pointers please (though I've never seen a roadster in your collection, knowing how hands on and old school you are, I could not think of anyone better to ask!) and help us pick out a nice bike.

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th April 2021, 16:06   #5526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Eric hi, I'm using one of your posts to reply to so as to get your attention on a slightly out of the way request.

A cyclist friend of mine has had to move for a couple of months or more to his native village because his mother has hurt herself and has had surgery.

He's getting bored stiff out there without his bikes (a roadie, a fixie, and an mtb) and the cost and logistics of transporting one of them from here in Poona to his village is too much of a hassle.

So he's seriously thinking of picking up a simple rugged single speed bike for himself to ride around and explore, and does not need gears since its a pretty flat part of the world.

Since the nearest Decathlon is 120 km away, those bikes are out, especially anything that requires professional care like gears etc. The same holds true for any geared bike which in a remote village no one would be able to work on.

That leaves him with one bike that would not be out of place anywhere in India, even the remotest parts. the humble black roadster. He loves the idea of buying one. Especially with the fenders and a nice carrier!

Its been a long time since both of us have ridden roadsters and our knowledge of the preferred brands is very rudimentary. Hercules (premium). Atlas (strong, preferred by doodhwalas and tiffin walas). Avon (don't know). Hero (skeptical).

Also, there is a ton of inside stuff like the quality of the components used, the material and welding, etc. which we are clueless about. Cranks. Hubs. Forks. Rims and spokes. Brass nipples.

Also, there seems to be a big range in the gearing offered, both in terms of the teeth on the crank (40-48) as well as the freewheel (16-20). And wheel sizes too.

Could you give us some pointers please (though I've never seen a roadster in your collection, knowing how hands on and old school you are, I could not think of anyone better to ask!) and help us pick out a nice bike.

Cheers, Doc

Interesting time for this to come up, as I was hoping to add a roadster to the collection. Heavy and single-speed is not really great in the hills, of course, so as usual I'm talking about mods/jugaads...

In truth you have already informed me more than I knew re: brands. I think one of the scrap guys here has a couple sitting, which I wanted to check out. Also have a friend coming up from Delhi next month who is working on some very handsome bolt-on electric drive kits for them (more on that later, I hope). His prototype looks really super, and I may pick up these local ones to do some testing re: fitment / hill running.

Sorry I can't be of more help just yet.

For now will leave you with a couple links that served to (finally) get me interested in Indian roadsters - though I doubt this is quite what your friend has in mind!:

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 16:08   #5527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Hello
All

I went to decathalon for a spare
However they said it could take upto 2 months

Instaed they adviced me to source the spare

Can someone help where I can by a spare
In South mumbai or online

Bike is
Riverside 120
36 spoke crank
If not, a competent cycle-wallah should be able to straighten it. I do this quite regularly.

-Eric
Old 5th April 2021, 16:50   #5528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
In truth you have already informed me more than I knew re: brands.
Forgot the roadster I grew up and even raced initially on - Raleigh!

However, Raleigh is now owned and made by Suncross so I'm not too excited about that.

I've seen the second video. There are some really nice restoration videos of complete rust buckets as well that you would enjoy.

Like this very neat job ...

Also, want gears on your roadster for the mountains? Fret not. Indian jugaad has you covered!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 5th April 2021 at 17:01.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:25   #5529
BHPian

A big thanks to our very own Doc (ebonho) for helping me finalize the perfect starter bike for my better half. It is a very simple bike with good starter components and a very smooth ride.

Specifications:

Frame – 650b” Alloy MTB Frame
Fork – 650B Suspension Fork, Travel 120mm
Frame Sizes – S, M
Speed – 21 SPD
Headset – Head Set, Steel Full Bearing Ahead Type, With Veloce Logo
Top Cap – With Veloce logo
Spacer – Alloy Spacer 5mmx5 Black
B.B. Set – Cartridge BB 122.mm
Seat Bolt/Pin/Clamp – 31.8mm, Alloy with QR

Drivetrain
Shifter Right – ST-EF500-7R, Right 7-Speed
Shifter Left – ST-EF500-L, Left 3-Speed
Front Derailleur – Shimano Tourney
Rear Derailleur – Shimano Altus

Accessories: Bontrager side stand (1600/-)

More information is available here

Customary pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-2.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-3.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-4.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-5.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-6.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-7.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-8.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-9.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-10.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-11.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-12.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-13.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-14.jpeg  

The Bicycles thread-jpeg-image-15.jpeg  

drive_angry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 19:16   #5530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
A big thanks to our very own Doc (ebonho) for helping me finalize the perfect starter bike for my better half. It is a very simple bike with good starter components and a very smooth ride.

Customary pics:
Looks good. Congratulations!

Finish and components are really good. XCM is a level up from what you get in tjis price point. But no lockout is a downer.

What's the actual weight of the bike?

Cheers, Doc
Old 5th April 2021, 19:34   #5531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Looks good. Congratulations!

Finish and components are really good. XCM is a level up from what you get in tjis price point. But no lockout is a downer.

What's the actual weight of the bike?

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc! Fit & Finish and Suntour XCM suspension are indeed a level up in this price bracket. Sadly, there is no suspension lockout but I guess that's something my wife is okay with, for now
The total weight of the bike is 15kg (Including the Bontrager side stand)

Last edited by drive_angry : 5th April 2021 at 19:39.
drive_angry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 08:54   #5532
BHPian

While my quest for a new bike continues. Have borrowed a road bike from a friend for a week to take a long extended test ride. I don't know how I am going to get back to my good ol' MTB after this. My friends are joking that I have tasted blood.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210405_05414501.jpeg

Bike is a Cannondale CAAD 8 with Claris. I think it tips the scales at 9kg. a full 6-7 kg less than what I usually ride. Super smooth, loving the speed. My apprehension about back and posture on a road bike seem to be misplaced. Quite comfortable. I have taken it on three 50km rides in the last 5 odd days. The 23C tires fitted on this bike is quite impractical. I think it slows you down more than the other way, you feel everything on the road. While I am looking out for a Sora, the Claris groupset has certainly impressed me, especially coming from MTB groupsets.

Hit a 29 km average yesterday morning. Should definitely breach 30 km on the highway. Yet to ride it on the highway.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210406084126.jpg
promit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 09:31   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

Custom stem I bought from Decathlon
There is saying in Marathi, "Naalisathi Ghoda", loosely translated to getting a Horse for a horseshoe. Not sure if you checked the details of handlebar diameters. There are 2 ISO sizes, 25.4 mm and 31.8 mm. As per these the handlebar and stem compatibility can be checked. I think rather than relying on the word of decathlon, you should have checked the diameter of handlebar. It would have avoided all this hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post

Did you try local cycle repair shop? Not sure if you can find these in South Mumbai. I met an accident where the chainring was deformed. Just visited a local cyclewala who straightened it for 20 rs. Obviously it wasn't restored to factory fit but it is working fine.

Last edited by shipnil : 6th April 2021 at 09:39.
shipnil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 10:32   #5534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
While my quest for a new bike continues.

Bike is a Cannondale CAAD 8 with Claris. I think it tips the scales at 9kg. a full 6-7 kg less than what I usually ride. Super smooth, loving the speed. My apprehension about back and posture on a road bike seem to be misplaced. Quite comfortable. I have taken it on three 50km rides in the last 5 odd days. The 23C tires fitted on this bike is quite impractical. I think it slows you down more than the other way, you feel everything on the road. While I am looking out for a Sora, the Claris groupset has certainly impressed me, especially coming from MTB groupsets.
That's my bike.

You will need to upgrade to a VERY good bike after this, the more you ride her, so as not to come away feeling underwhelmed.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 6th April 2021 at 10:33.
Old 6th April 2021, 16:44   #5535
BHPian

My wife wants a bicycle to ride around our neighborhood regularly. She checked with Decathlon but most models are out of stock. We don't know any other brands / models to look for. Please offer suggestions on what options are available for around 10K budget, can extend upto 15K if it's worth going for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks