Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Just to keep track
Yes, thank you kindly, I've got the woofers 6 13.33%
I don't know why I'm voting here, total time pass 36 80.00%
I am interested in getting suitable tweeters (pairs) as well (post 161) at under 3K per pair 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2007, 13:28   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
AEven with a EBS alignment (Extended bass shelf) the port length does not fall below 12" for a 2" dia port in a 10 liter box. Hence I'd rather stick to a sealed box of about 0.2 cu. ft. (5-6 ltiers). This might give a F3 of about 80Hz but F6 is at 50Hz and if the box is placed on against a wall the boundry reinforcement should even things out. The other option is to use a rather small port (1" dia or 3cm dia) in a 0.24cu. ft. (7 liter) box. a 1" port need only be 9cm in length while a 3cm dia port will need to be a bit longer (say 13-14cm) in length.
This is deep and intelligent conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
kooldude ,
How can you be the 2nd ? Sam=1st, Rudra=2nd and you are 3rd
Your honour please strike my previous statement off the record hahaha.
Old 5th March 2007, 19:57   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
This is deep and intelligent conversation.

Your honour please strike my previous statement off the record hahaha.
Sam a few pages back you gave a circuit about a filter(1st order) to connect a tweeter to this woofer(which u said even a baboon can make)
Well there you said 4.7mfd, that "m" is micro farad right??
i think it should be mircro farad"ufd" and not "mfd" ?? so its value is 4.7uFd/63V

* Also Navin thats for all that port info, you are right i forget to see port length in my WinISD simulator
Old 5th March 2007, 21:08   #183
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now that some of you folks have the drivers with you, who's going to be the first to post pics of work-in-progress or finished stuff?

I'm looking forward to a very enlightening thread Especially as most of the stuff is going to be home audio.
Old 6th March 2007, 00:34   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1101 View Post
Sam a few pages back you gave a circuit about a filter(1st order) to connect a tweeter to this woofer(which u said even a baboon can make)
Well there you said 4.7mfd, that "m" is micro farad right??
i think it should be mircro farad"ufd" and not "mfd" ?? so its value is 4.7uFd/63V
Baba, the common terminology for Micro farad is mfd. it isn't really "U" it's "mju" Promounced mew.

However, if you walk into an electronics store and ask for 4.7 mfd, you will get a 4.7 micro farad condensor. Not to worry. You cannot ask for a 4.7 ufd That is incorrect completely.
Old 6th March 2007, 00:57   #185
BHPian

Sam,

Not that it is of any major consequence, but mF would usually mean milli-Farad. Since we cant type mju on a standard keyboard, how about using nano-farad or nF as the unit next time.

This will resolve the confusion for the purists and will surely drive the components shop owner mad

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 6th March 2007, 02:06   #186
BHPian

Sorry sam

hello Sam

look i did try my best here, too bad i cant get any one to pick those woofers up for me, will let you know incase there is some scope within 2 days, else pls. give it to some one else.

anyways this is what i had in mind, i m sure its gonna sound nice,sorry if it seems crazy but you see i am sure i am gonna make this thing some day, i call it boom bed

Last edited by amit1101 : 6th March 2007 at 02:12. Reason: its my old bad habbit
Old 6th March 2007, 09:33   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is deep and intelligent conversation..
Sam, it was basic box design. I did not even investigate TLs (Fs too high), Aperiodic (Vb too small and F3 too high to begin with), Horns (I dont hink any TBHPian save B&T would try to build a horn), etc.

I still dont know how many TBHPIans are gonna make 2 way speakers using this woofer the way it was suppsoed to be used.

Ideally this woofer would be in a 5 liter sealed box or a 7 liter ported box. A larger ported box (10 liters) would give more bass but would also give too much overhang for my taste.

So how many of you want to make a 2 way speaker? I see 3 pairs of tweeters. I hoped to have alteast 10. Come on guys get with this program.

Now that we have a basic box we can move on to a choice of tweeter and a tweeter. If not I'm going to go back to sleep.

Last edited by navin : 6th March 2007 at 09:34.
Old 6th March 2007, 13:43   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Sam,

Not that it is of any major consequence, but mF would usually mean milli-Farad. Since we cant type mju on a standard keyboard, how about using nano-farad or nF as the unit next time.
lol. OK listen, I know mF SHOULD mean milli farad. But generally, capacitance is measured in Micro (especially for electrolytic, BiPolar or not) However, Nano and pico farad are very much used on other types of capacitors.
Not milli. or vanilli.

You would either ask for microfarad, or mfd and to the component guy it would make perfect sense. That's why I prefer to write mfd, because that is the common terminology, atleast here in India.

People, woofers will not stay forever. Make plans or arrangements quickly.
Old 6th March 2007, 13:50   #189
Team-BHP Support

Yeah what Sam is correct. To the store wallahs you need to put mfd but in engineering sense it is ufd where u is actually mju.

This is not only for caps it is for e raised to some number.

e-3 (e power -3) = milli (m)
e-6 (e power -6) = micro (mju)
e-9 (e power -9) = nano (n)
e-12(e power -12) = pico (p) for caps its pF but pronounced as puff
e-15(e power -15) = femto

e+3(e power 3) = kilo (k)
e+6(e power 6) = Mega (M)
e+9(e power 9) = Giga (G)
Old 6th March 2007, 13:54   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
lol. OK listen, I know mF SHOULD mean milli farad. But generally, capacitance is measured in Micro (especially for electrolytic, BiPolar or not) However, Nano and pico farad are very much used on other types of capacitors.
This is exactly why I did not butt in.

the "m" in mfd can mean micro farad or milli farad. In general parlance (given that 1 F is such a big thing) it means micro-farad just ask anyone who wields a soldering iron regularly. End of Discussion.

Now can anyone tell me how many pairs of tweeters I should be asking for! Like I said (and put on the poll) expected price will be less than Rs. 3K per pair.

Last edited by navin : 6th March 2007 at 13:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks