This is the webpage linked from the official Punjab Government

https://dronamaps.com/corona.html#/
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 08:36   #1143
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys my friend is stuck at a Bangalore PG and she is to take a flight to her home town tomorrow. She is worried there are no cabs tomorrow. Is there news on cab transport services not being available tomorrow? If not what are the options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Thank you guys. She says she has confirmed flight is there afternoon 3. Problem is landlord is evicting due to the threat and she is alone in the entire PG bldg. She has to go tomorrow.
Edit : Metro bus is not available it seems.
Thank you guys for the all your replies and suggestion. Late night she was able to book a airport taxi and has reached the airport safely. The fare was 2k but she was ok paying as it was the need of the hour.

Thank you all guys once again.

Stay safe.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 08:47   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
We spend 2.3% of budget for health! And see what, we lost 20 times that money in a single day. I’m sure nothing will change as for the dim sighted politicians, health will never be a priority. No amount of gleaming roads, swanky malls, super speciality hospitals will make India a developed country, hope we realise that. Unless we citizens demand better public health facilities, we will come back to these situations again.
Thank you sir. Thank you for this important post.

I hope atleast this calamity will make people bring the right issues to the table during elections. Our demands should be these, not anything else.

I want to add an important insight to help drive the point. We love to compare with Italy when it comes to cases and deaths.

85.6% of people who died in Italy are over 70 years. Average life expectancy in India at birth is 69. This means an Indian born today is more likely to die before he reaches 70 years even without Corona.

I am not trying to play down the risk of Coronavirus by giving an age twist to it. But I am trying to explain how much catching up we have to do. The affluent you and me may probably outlive the average life expectancy of our country by a distance unless we are taken out by a Pandemic like this. But unless we are able to improve health care through out the nation, imagine the situation we are in. It affects all of us.

We have had sufficient time to act and I hope that we have acted in time to stop the community spread, but I shudder to think the state we (0.7 beds per 1000 people) would have been if we had got caught unaware like Italy (3.4 beds per 1000 people) or China (4.2 beds per 1000 people).

It has to be good, reliable, public health facilities at grass root levels and not just the swanky multi-speciality hospitals aiming for Medical tourism.

Last edited by vibbs : 24th March 2020 at 09:13.
vibbs is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 09:12   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
$20 tn lawsuit filed in US against China over coronavirus pandemic

My question: Given that India had more than sufficient warning and information on the effects of this virus. Why didn't it act in time? Who will sue the Indian Government for the delay in taking decisive action?
Government of India is managing the situation much better than other countries including developed ones. Our total cases are still less than 500 when US reported 5000 cases in a single day. India has one of the lowest per million affected cases. You can't shut down a country with out appropriate checks and applying caution. Not sure what you think our government should have done differently.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 09:54   #1146
Senior - BHPian

At least in Bangalore, the lockdown is being managed by the Govt badly. The daily necessities have been blocked or in short supply. I heard the vendors are being beaten by Police at the wholesale market when they went to pick up vegetables. Such actions are going to create a panic situation.

Instead, they can enforce social distancing, safety precautions and ensure the daily supplies are available.
msdivy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:14   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
...You can't shut down a country with out appropriate checks and applying caution. Not sure what you think our government should have done differently.
There would not be any reason to shut down the entire country had we just quarantined all international travelers to India starting January 31st, 2020. I don't believe that the spread of the Covid19 to India was inevitable. I have listed the reasons below in defense of my statement:
(aljazeera article) Timeline: How the new coronavirus spread

Quote:
On December 31 last year, China alerted WHO to several cases of unusual pneumonia in Wuhan, a port city of 11 million people in the central Hubei province. The virus was unknown.
Quote:
The WHO said later on January 23 that the outbreak did not yet constitute a public emergency of international concern and there was "no evidence" of the virus spreading between humans outside of China.
Quote:
On January 25, travel restrictions were imposed on a further five cities in Hubei, taking the overall number of people affected to 56 million.
Hong Kong meanwhile declared a virus emergency, cancelled Lunar New Year celebrations and restricted links to mainland China.
February 27, 2020
IAF evacuates 112 from coronavirus-hit Wuhan

You can read the Timeline article yourself to determine for yourself if the number of fatalities and the spread was something that the government should have ignored. I am guessing that the deaths in quarantine and the expense of quarantining all travelers for a few months in relative luxury would be a tiny fraction of what it is going to cost the country now.

I would like to know what delayed the Indian government's response to this "tsunami". Please quote relevant facts to support your statements.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:27   #1148
BHPian

Can anyone living in the first world countries comment how is the lockdown enforced there ?? Mumbai seems to be very strict here.
vivek95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:29   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
There would not be any reason to shut down the entire country had we just quarantined all international travelers to India starting January 31st, 2020. I don't believe that the spread of the Covid19 to India was inevitable. I have listed the reasons below in defense of my statement:
(.
It is easy to say things retrospectively. No big country can be sealed fully and no country is able to stop the spread despite even more severe measures. Case in point is Hong kong, Taiwan etc. But we can't compare these countries with India since they are smaller than most big cities in India.
AFIK there was quarantine in place for travelers from China at that point. I was to travel to Taiwan in first week of Jan and was advised to cancel the same.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:47   #1150
BHPian

Here are two useful ebooks -

Know the difference : Self-monitoring, self-isolation, and isolation for COVID-19

The Pandemic Notebook
Romins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:51   #1151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Mumbai seems to be very strict here.
Government / authorities / administration ought to be stricter. Any one out on the road, should have good reasons to be out in the open. It is being put in practice here too [Purnea, Bihar], all roads are manned, you can't enter inside the municipal area as mentioned in today's newspapers.

I am yet to go out from home, but will have to go today for some grocery. Will ask the grocery shop [over phone] that at what time is the shop a bit free and get essentials.

Problem is, people understood junta curfew, but can't make out what lockdown is . I am most worried about people coming in droves back to their homes without much or any sort of checks. We really need that population control bill.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:53   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Can anyone living in the first world countries comment how is the lockdown enforced there ?? Mumbai seems to be very strict here.
Not sure about Mumbai, but Thane was a mess in the morning. There was an open bazaar choc-a-bloc with residents as if it were a regular day.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 10:55   #1153
BHPian

Here is a global dashboard, open the link using a computer:

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases
Old 24th March 2020, 11:08   #1154
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The daily graph looks similar for India, US, Spain, etc. and that is scary. It is still accelerating here. If people follow the restrictions, things should start flattening out next week.

S.Korea & Japan seems to have it under control
m8002? is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2020, 11:17   #1155
BHPian

Didn't like what I saw on the streets of Trivandrum, this morning. Our Office being listed under essential service, I have to attend duty on alternate days. So today lots of vehicles were there on the road and I felt that most of them were driving around aimlessly, as if to test the action from the authorities. No enforcement was seen on the roads (this was around 9.30 AM), who were supposed to control the vehicles and issue a pass to those coming under essential services.

How ever a colleague of mine, who came to Office, late, remarked that the enforcement has finally started and they are letting the vehicles through only after verifying the ID cards.

The morons who came from abroad are proving to be too much trouble to the society. Several persons, who are under quarantine in several districts have slipped out and are enjoying vacation in the hills of Wayanad discretely. They were finally arrested and dispatched to their home districts. I think it is high time these people are manhandled.

Edit : Adding the order of General Administration
Order.pdf.pdf

Last edited by adrian : 24th March 2020 at 11:45.
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks