Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 08:45   #5716
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Does anybody personally see this happening, that 5/10x unknown-but-within-your-social-circles died (of all causes) in 2021 than in the BC (Before Covid)era?

5/10x under reporting is an exaggeration? Or is my analysis wrong?
In my social circle I definitely see a spurt, but don't quite have an handle on the 'x'.
In the firm I'm employed in, based on the passing away of colleagues, the second wave has taken away atleast 5x the number, if not more.

Last edited by whitewing : 25th July 2021 at 08:48.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 06:38   #5717
BHPian

Canada is going to open border with USA from 9 August
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-57a05eddaa344899a6aadd07139c1683.jpeg  

Old 27th July 2021, 23:57   #5718
BHPian

Data from Israel - the first country to "vaccinate" it's (majority?) population. Is it back to square one now?
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-image_9344b279e2354b3c87e0c527fad366e420210727_235325.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:08   #5719
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile, the situation here in Kerala seems to be going from bad to worse. We have a TPR based staggered lockdown and it does not really make sense.

Don't know when things will settle...
Old 28th July 2021, 11:03   #5720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Data from Israel - the first country to "vaccinate" it's (majority?) population. Is it back to square one now?
Perhaps not:

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1417813556888735750

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th July 2021 at 11:50. Reason: Quoted post edited/deleted.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 12:50   #5721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Whether it is waning immunity or the vaccines do not provide the immunity against Delta variant will be known in few months.

But what is clear is this - All these so-called "advanced countries" (US, UK. Israel etc) had clear 4 months time to prepare for the Delta variant since the time it was identified in India in April. And yet they are failing. India had to contend with the highly transmissible Delta variant without any advance warning.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th July 2021 at 18:32. Reason: Last line removed.. Thank you!
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 21:41   #5722
Distinguished - BHPian

Hairloss is a symptom we're seeing post COVID in our family members. And I have bad knees after my having had COVID 7 months ago. What else are we missing? I'm going to avail of my employer's master health checkup to check. There are reports talking about fatty liver and other complications post COVID. I hope a standard blood test will suffice to detect any anomalies brought on by COVID.

Just sharing my thoughts, so that other post COVID members may think of getting their own master health checkups done. Long COVID is something to look out for.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 22:53   #5723
BHPian

Back to square one - vaccinating the world (even if possible) in a frenzy is NOT the answer. Vaccine immunity will ALWAYS lag behind natural immunity and also be less durable and wane off faster. Boosters are useless for evolving variants. Young individuals and children, especially, need to get back to normal in-person activities as no amount of lockdowns and distancing are going to solve this problem. Social, psychological and economic well being is together more important than merely physical.

The Coronavirus Thread-image_f0577c95415148728c53af265c30d7f920210731_224608.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Hairloss is a symptom we're seeing post COVID in our family members. And I have bad knees after my having had COVID 7 months ago. What else are we missing? I'm going to avail of my employer's master health checkup to check. There are reports talking about fatty liver and other complications post COVID. I hope a standard blood test will suffice to detect any anomalies brought on by COVID.

Just sharing my thoughts, so that other post COVID members may think of getting their own master health checkups done. Long COVID is something to look out for.
That's the mistake. Many post viral sequelae are well known for many viral infections, some of which (like chicken pox) date back to childhood but sequelae are experienced even half a century later (herpes zoster). Blaming everything that happens after covid on covid is just convenient and does nothing but keep your panic levels up. Many "complications" might just be the manifestations of an accumulation of lifestyle factors, simply being exposed after a viral illness! (Fatty liver?). Furthermore, there is no "standard" bold test (or for that matter, any test) to conclusively link any anomaly to previous covid infection. Think - when there are a hundred fold asymptomatic and mild covid infections (undiagnosed by testing) behind every tested case, why do only the ones with positive tests report post covid symptoms?

Last edited by vb-saan : 1st August 2021 at 07:16. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Zen2001 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:36   #5724
BHPian

Those who were infected: how severe was your loss of taste and smell? Could you taste sweet and sour things? How long did it last?
Old 2nd August 2021, 23:41   #5725
BHPian

The party you're paying for -
Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:45   #5726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan nhu mare? View Post
Those who were infected: how severe was your loss of taste and smell? Could you taste sweet and sour things? How long did it last?
This was quite varied from case to case. Had multiple cases in my friend and family circle. Some had loss of taste/smell for well over 4-5 days, while for some it reverted back to normal within 48 hrs. All of them were under home isolation and needed no medication; treated it with basic home remedies.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:38   #5727
BHPian

It seems India has decided not to accept any American vaccine donations because of the indemnity issue. I honestly don't understand why India is being so bureaucratic about this since every other nation on earth has provided indemnity to vaccine makers (the rights and wrongs over indemnity in another debate). According to the BBC, SII is producing about 110 million doses of Covishield while Bharat Biotech is producing about 25-30 million doses of Covaxin. This clearly not enough as ideally, we need to be vaccinating 10 million people a day and other vaccines like Sputnik and Novavax will only be available in numbers after September. So, the availability of foreign vaccines (70 million Pfizer and 7.5 million Moderna are being offered) could be provide some support however small the availability is.

This seems like pure arrogance from the Indian polity and bureaucracy despite our flagging vaccination program and the devastating second wave. We are literally falling behind developing countries in Asia and Latin America that got most of their doses through donations while India is supposedly the largest vaccine manufacturer in the world.

Source1

Source2
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:50   #5728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
It seems India has decided not to accept any American vaccine donations because of the indemnity issue.
It will be a great service to Indians and humanity if America doesn't block raw materials needed for vaccine manufacturing rather than virtue signalling PR stunt of vaccine donation.
nandrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:40   #5729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandrive View Post
It will be a great service to Indians and humanity if America doesn't block raw materials needed for vaccine manufacturing rather than virtue signalling PR stunt of vaccine donation.
What aboutery doesn’t help. America opened up the export of raw materials back in June and it is no longer a bottleneck. Are we hitting back at the Americans for blocking raw materials by not accepting American donations (and hurting ourselves)? How does that make sense? If you put it that way, many of my friends in Africa are stuck because they got the first dose of Covishield but then India stopped exporting vaccines because of the second wave, so they don’t have a second dose. So, just to engage in whataboutery, is America wrong in blocking raw materials (which they’ve lifted) while India is right in blocking vaccine exports?
dragracer567 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:21   #5730
BHPian

I think the vaccines are not working.

From "vaccines will provide herd immunity" we have come so far to "vaccines prevent serious illness and death".

Now we know that is not true, either. A year later, they might revise it to "you will have a less painful death".

Remember when the pandemic started, they used to say "you don't need a mas unless you are sick".

Then they said, general population only need surgical or cloth masks. N95 are for medical professionals.

But now we are even talking about double masking.

And remember that - don't panic, covid doesn't spread through air, but only via touch? And keep washing and washing your hands and covid will be defeated? Remember all those alcohol you rubbed on to your hands which should have made their way to your whiskeys and rums?

Thumb rule, don't believe the so called "authorities". When they tell you to do or not do something that always has an agenda behind it.

They say, it is for your good even if we may be lying to you. Because you are ill equipped to think for yourselves. All the best brains were elected by you "less brained" folks to take actions on your behalf. So trust them.
dragonfire is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks