Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 14:59   #5596
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
I have to point it out, it's wrong to start steroids in asymptomatic patients based only on CRP and for raised D dimer the steroids are not the choice.
I am surprised you have been suggested it and I am Sure you and your father would have recovered without it also.
I should have been clearer with my post. Steroids (methyl Prednisone ) was for me and my dad for increased CRP. My sister had raised D Dimer and she was given apaxaban.
Old 5th June 2021, 23:50   #5597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thank you. What kind of power does a portable Oxygenator consume? .
Hi,
Most concentrators come with 4 or 8 cell battery back up which can last for 3 to 6 hrs and each pack will take 4H on an average to charge fully. Certain low cost and refurbished ones may not have such options. I doubt whether you can run it on an inverter. Better to get in touch with a service provider at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I should have been clearer with my post. Steroids (methyl Prednisone ) was for me and my dad for increased CRP. My sister had raised D Dimer and she was given apaxaban.
Hi,
Asymptomatic patients with raised CRP very rarely need steroids which is counter intuitive and if started in early phase of the viral infection can be potentially problematic.
CRP is a sign of your body fighting the infection and unless the fight is derailing your physiological limits you should not be on steroids. This is the reason the CRP value is taken along with other parameters to decide. Maybe you have not summarised all the details and the good doctor has been justified is doing so.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 12:02   #5598
BHPian

Vaccine Hesitancy is real, courtesy, Whatsapp university

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le34742239.ece

Quote:
“There is hesitancy among workers to take the jab. A lot of misinformation is being spread on Facebook and WhatsApp about the vaccines, which is making some workers sceptical. Both the unions and managements are creating awareness,” G. Vinayagam, president, United Union of Hyundai Employees (UUHE), said.
Quote:
“We read through social media that people died after taking the vaccine. I also heard several people have fallen sick and got infected after taking the first dose. My family is reluctant in allowing me to take the shot,” said an employee who wished anonymity.

Another employee said, “I have not fallen sick for the last seven years and I personally feel that I have good immunity. I’m worried that taking the jab might not go well with my body and might have some complications.”

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 6th June 2021 at 12:11.
Old 6th June 2021, 12:45   #5599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
It's too early and better to defer for 3months unless your risk of 're exposure is high.
Hi doctor,

I just wanted to follow up on this. I recovered from Covid on 15th April and I have my vaccination scheduled for 9th June. I am actually looking to get fully vaccinated as I anticipate travelling abroad in the next 2-3 months, hence why considering the gap in doses of Covishield, I am getting the vaccine at this time.

That should not be an issue right?
Old 6th June 2021, 13:22   #5600
Senior - BHPian

My wife took her first Covishield dose about 10 days ago. She needs to get a tooth removal done. How long should we wait for her to develop sufficient antibodies after the first dose ? Is 2 weeks enough and are there any guidelines or recommendations ? We’ve been avoiding outside contact as much as possible but this needs to be done and we can’t wait for the second dose to complete. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 6th June 2021 at 13:24.
Old 6th June 2021, 19:49   #5601
BHPian

Dear Friends, My dad has taken both doses of COVAXIN and have fortunately passed both waves w/o getting infected.

The second doses was in first week of April. However, I wanted to check if the anti bodies have developed as there have been some reports that not everyone (esp those above 60) develop antibodies (e.g. https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/na...covaxin-263977).

Should we go for an anti body test to check and have peace of mind?

Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 20:12   #5602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Vaccine Hesitancy is real, courtesy, Whatsapp university
I don't need to look as far as the newspaper... I only need to look as far as my wife!

But she is not an outright antivaxxer, and did consent to take the first dose. I finished my doses before supply and demand became a problem, and, even at the second one, was concerned about the number of people at the venue. She is ready, and due, to take the second one now, but we are waiting for easier availability.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:42   #5603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't need to look as far as the newspaper... I only need to look as far as my wife!
Oh yeah, did I mention that my wife yet to get vaccinated because none of her friends and their families are vaccinated yet, so she will get jabbed only if most of the population got vaccinated, ignoring the fact that close to 9 million people in TN alone already vaccinated. Luckily, she didn't influence my wish to get vaccinated, as I have my 2nd dose appointment scheduled today.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:02   #5604
BHPian

The Union health ministry’s revised guidelines, issued on May 27 have dropped all drugs including hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, doxycycline, zinc, multivitamins, etc prescribed by the doctors to asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic Covid-19 patients retaining only antipyretic for fever and antitussive for cold symptoms.

https://www.news18.com/news/india/re...t-3817415.html

All this, too late, after the horse has already bolted. Sigh!

I guess the good doctors on this thread had already advocated the same many weeks/months ago.

Last edited by PearlJam : 7th June 2021 at 12:03.
PearlJam is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 12:18   #5605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
All this, too late, after the horse has already bolted. Sigh!
What we don't realize is that once something has been given an "official" sanction, it is very difficult to revert that even if later research shows that it doesn't do any good.

From recent experience with immediate family members testing positive and the saga for two weeks shows that once the panic sets in, people stop behaving rationally. I've seen the doctor actually in charge of managing the patients trying his best to reassure them that they are asymptomatic, no need to worry unless absolutely required, but I've seen the patients not willing to listen and call up n-number of doctors till they find one who advises hospitalization! I've seen Remdesivr and steroids being prescribed for a patient who was only showing symptoms of moderate fever and a sore throat. Again, not by the doctor in charge, but by another doc literally a thousand km away! I saw a family member who had received both doses of the vaccine and was completely asymptomatic try to get hospitalized as "a precaution". I saw one young family member get admitted and stay in the hospital for just 2 days. What that achieved I don't know, they just kept the patient in a room and checked oxygen levels with an oximeter twice a day.

And of course liters of kashayam, vitamins, etc.

(At some point I can't blame even the doctors for giving up trying to keep people calm. I know i did after a point!)

Last edited by am1m : 7th June 2021 at 12:20.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 13:26   #5606
BHPian

Are Moderna & Pfizer (as well as the other vaccine makers) looking at creating or updating the vaccines to take into account the various Variants of Concern (VoC)?
I remember reading that for the mRNA vaccines, it will just take a 6 to 8 week window to synthesize the vaccine. Wondering if they have already done so, considering its been a 3 to 4 months since these variants have been out there.

Covaxin also should be updated; since it is based on an inactivated virus, probably they can use the Delta variant to trigger a better immune response to the fast spreading variant; But not aware of the development time for Covaxin when compared to the mRNA vaccines.

Pfizer recently mentioned that they are working on a booster (3rd dose) and may imbibe other VoCs. But not sure why they are not incorporating it into the 1st and 2nd doses that are coming out of the manufacturing line right now, and nip as many VoCs in the bud, before they spread out.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...t-tracker.html
Dennis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 13:27   #5607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I've seen the patients not willing to listen and call up n-number of doctors till they find one who advises hospitalization!
I saw a family member who had received both doses of the vaccine and was completely asymptomatic try to get hospitalized as "a precaution". I saw one young family member get admitted and stay in the hospital for just 2 days. What that achieved I don't know, they just kept the patient in a room and checked oxygen levels with an oximeter twice a day.
This is a different issue. Since our country historically had shortages and waiting times, people start to hoard things at the drop of a hat. Grabbing hospital beds is just one manifestation. The thought is "what if I need it in 3-4 days? At that time I may not get a bed. So let me settle down in one right now"
PearlJam is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 14:28   #5608
BHPian

Generic query to doctors

I was vaccinated with the first dose of Covishield on 06th Apr.
Then unfortunately got affected with COVID and recovered on 15th May.

Given this should I still proceed with my 2nd dose now since 8 weeks have elapsed, or is it suggested to wait for more time since I recovered from COVID 15th May. ?

Any suggested new timeline ?

Last edited by Fillmore : 7th June 2021 at 14:31. Reason: typo
Old 7th June 2021, 14:40   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But she is not an outright antivaxxer, and did consent to take the first dose. I finished my doses before supply and demand became a problem, and, even at the second one, was concerned about the number of people at the venue. She is ready, and due, to take the second one now, but we are waiting for easier availability.
My wife was the same. At last consented to get vaccinated. Did it this Saturday. if you are in Chennai, there are lots of slots available in Apollo hospitals. My wife's was fone at Apollo first Med. The wait was only for 10 min.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 14:52   #5610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Generic query to doctors

I was vaccinated with the first dose of Covishield on 06th Apr.
Then unfortunately got affected with COVID and recovered on 15th May.

Given this should I still proceed with my 2nd dose now since 8 weeks have elapsed, or is it suggested to wait for more time since I recovered from COVID 15th May. ?

Any suggested new timeline ?
2nd dose of Covishield is scheduled after 12 to 16 weeks (the dates are printed in your certificate) so in any case you will have to wait.

One of my doctor friends has stated that 90 days from the date of your infection would be suitable for the 2nd dose. If you scroll up this thread you will also find similar doubts cleared by our in house experts.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed