Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2021, 02:24   #5506
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Here is Dr Devi Shetty's take on the oxygen scenario in our nation's Covid crisis.

for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 05:52   #5507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Query to Doctors or scientists in this field ?
Hi,
Answers to your queries
1. Most likely it will be a annual affair. Even if the immunity is well sustained the variants may not be susceptible and we may need additional doses.
2. Yes. Health workers are already receiving flu jabs every year. COVID will likely follow the same trend
3. Probably yes but wouldn't frame it as being doomed.
4. Western countries with smaller population numbers managed to vaccinate most people and are opening up with no mask policy and we all know where india stands.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:17   #5508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
1. Most likely it will be a annual affair. Even if the immunity is well sustained the variants may not be susceptible and we may need additional doses.
2. Yes. Health workers are already receiving flu jabs every year. COVID will likely follow the same trend
4. Western countries with smaller population numbers managed to vaccinate most people and are opening up with no mask policy and we all know where india stands.
1. So if some other type of virus decides to come into action or if we have to take different vaccines for different variants of Covid virus then vaccination might become a monthly affair!
2. I think these flu jabs are being given in rich countries or in India also do health workers get flu jabs?
3. I think doomed is the appropriate word because a year and half back, on one in their dreams saw such a situation coming.
4. My query was different. Why are poor countries not facing this problem even though they are not vaccinating? Why countries vaccinating eg Seychelles and we are seeing it in India also, facing increased Covid cases? Why is it that in India daily Covid cases are going down in direct relationship to the number of daily vaccinations going down? Shouldn't there be some research for this point of view?

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd May 2021 at 06:45. Reason: Quote trimmed.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:27   #5509
BHPian

Guys, all these long term vague symptoms that some of you are reporting could mostly be psychological to be very honest. A miniscule number of people genuinely have some sequelae and this is common with all the viruses, not just Sars-Cov2. I say psychological because everyone is now locked up at homes all time, have plenty of time and get continuously bombarded by the hyped news about
Covid on the media and internet.

Millions of healthcare workers who suffered covid were back on feet to serve again within a fortnight's time. My direct colleague had covid last year along with deep venous thrombosis in legs which apparently was ascribed to Covid ( that I doubt ). He underwent vascular surgery and was back on covid ICU duties with me at the very earliest . He hasn't reported any long term effects so far, atleast none of the vague symptoms - no loss of energy, fatigue and blah blah. There is no time as such as well to talk about these insignificant things. I am finishing a 14 hour covid ICU shift while I write this post. All viral illnesses may have some long term minor vague symptoms and as such some small symptoms within the body will be there with or without covid throughout our lives. Best thing to do is to talk to your family doctor and check if your symptoms warrant proper medical attention. Rest assured, please relax 😁 We aren't experiencing a virus for the first time.

--Dr Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:35   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
4. My query was different. Why are poor countries not facing this problem even though they are not vaccinating? Why countries vaccinating eg Seychelles and we are seeing it in India also, facing increased Covid cases? Why is it that in India daily Covid cases are going down in direct relationship to the number of daily vaccinations going down? Shouldn't there be some research for this point of view?
Hi,
1. Unlikely to be a monthly affair and the vaccines will need rework to make it more efficient as new strains pop up. I can't predict but will be the likely scenario.
2. Flu jabs are offered to health workers who are at risk in Most places, in India too.
3. We are still fighting and are winning better than what is being dished out by the media. If there is future wave we should be able to handle it better.
4. The vaccine doesn't make a person immune but prevents severe illness. Small proportion of people do not sero convert even after vaccination and will have severe form of illness. Countries which had vaccinated most people and started opening up Will have resurgence in number of cases but majority will be milder form of illness which again is expected. UK for example presently has reduced the burden on critical care exponentially. With regards to poor countries having low mortality do remember the virus is yet to run its course across all nations and we have to wait and see.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 23rd May 2021 at 08:37.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:41   #5511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Guys, all these long term vague symptoms that some of you are reporting could mostly be psychological to be very honest.
Glad that a doctor who has been actually treating/seeing covid cases right from the beginning is saying this.

While not devaluing the pain, distress and certainly several serious cases, just want to say that I've see this sort of manifestation personally too.

Only two of the people I know personally who got covid had to be hospitalized (and in both cases, it was preemptive because one had a heart condition and the other was elderly, both recovered completely), the majority of them barely showed any symptoms, but yet all of them panicked and did several tests, repeat tests, kept thinking they were going to deteriorate at any time, all thanks to the media and 'well-meaning' people who kept forwarding half-baked 'news' on whatsapp.

Met a good friend last week who recovered completely from covid a month ago. Even though I knew that there was no way he could still be shedding a live virus, plus we met outdoors, more than 6 feet away and wearing masks, I too felt that I was developing some symptoms for a couple of days! Was all imagination!

So again (before the outrage brigade jumps on me ) I am certainly NOT saying the epidemic is not serious, obviously it is and several cases have taken a very serious turn. Just saying we need not panic unnecessarily. And thank goodness for the doctors on this thread who are bringing the rational views backed by the science and their actual experience. God bless all of you!

Last edited by am1m : 23rd May 2021 at 08:50.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 10:31   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Where as in India, nearly half of the deaths are in the below 60 group. A stark figure to keep in mind is that only 6000 odd deaths among the nearly 6Lakh covid deaths in the US are in the 30 to 39 year age group. This is just 1 percent. Where are this would be 8 to 10 times more in India.
Data from Kerala.

Source

The Coronavirus Thread-covid-data-2.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-covid-data.jpg
ecenandu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:52   #5513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Here is Dr Devi Shetty's take on the oxygen scenario in our nation's Covid crisis.

https://Youtu.be/hFv6csIHKgs
It appears that he is doing some damage control. Didn't the courts have to step in and take over the logistics of Oxygen transportation because of the bad way it was being managed ?

And we are in the second year of COIVD. What were we doing all this time ??
These logistics could have been planned much earlier.

Last edited by Fillmore : 23rd May 2021 at 11:55.
Fillmore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 12:09   #5514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

https://Youtu.be/hFv6csIHKgs
Logistics and manufacturing of medical oxygen is responsibility of center. He is not admitting that real problem is in logistics due to shortage of cryogenic tankers.
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 14:41   #5515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Answers to your queries
An annual or a semi-annual vaccine booster affair can actually be a blessing in disguise, if the government can nudge people to healthy behaviors. For instance,

a. Linking an comprehensive health checkups to the vaccine shot.
b. give the shot free if the person shows healthy trends (weight-loss, reduced sugar levels etc)
c. link the shot to a health food providers like vegetable salads delivery apps...
and so on.

The general idea being that along with Covid, it is better to detect early, and control diseases like diabetes, Hypertension, heart disease.

When the next virus/variant/wave strikes, one has a far better chance to beat it if you are not comorbid.
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:54   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
And regarding your link, I don’t read articles from one eyed publications.
I am glad you stopped reading TheWire, ThePrint, TheQuint and NDTV

Anyway, back to the thread, I saw the G20 numbers in terms of percentage of population vaccinated, India is at 8th position out of 20 despite being the poorest in terms of per capita gdp. India has given as many doses as EU despite starting 2 month late.

Assuming we have 1Billion 18+ population, around 15% has got atleast one dose till now. Most likely 70% population will get it by August end.
how_you_doing is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:36   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
An annual or a semi-annual vaccine booster affair can actually be a blessing in disguise, if the government can nudge people to healthy behaviors.

The general idea being that along with Covid, it is better to detect early, and control diseases like diabetes, Hypertension, heart disease.

When the next virus/variant/wave strikes, one has a far better chance to beat it if you are not comorbid.
While not doubting the good intentions behind your proposal, would it be prudent for a poor country like India to formulate a policy for 150 crore Indians just because 5% of its populations lives a self-destructing lifestyle?

PS: I am one of these 5%
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:56   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Felt good to read the article below, on regular exercise and fitness linked to a lower chance of developing severe Covid:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/82426563.cms
mooza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:17   #5519
BHPian

Update:
When I returned from hospital for one week, managing daily home routine activities was difficult for me because of breathlessness.

I started strengthening leg/hand muscle using resistance band by lying down as oxygen requirement is less. After that slowly I started physical movements inside the home. Next goal was managing personal activity independently. Then slowly I started daily walk. After three weeks from hospital discharge, today I walked 45 minute outside. Add to this I do daily sit-ups, wall push-ups, dumbbell and stairs climbing exercises along with breathing exercises.

Exercise is required for faster recovery. Corona may affect heart muscles also, so daily walking is must. Aerobic exercise will provide more oxygen to heart muscle and if any damage to it because of Corona, it will recover fast. If steroids are prescribed post discharge, it increase blood sugar. Exercise controls it.

Caution: Take it slowly. Monitor not only oxygen but also pulse during exercise. Dizziness and palpitation is signal that you are going too fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbaj View Post
Among many of my knows who were infected with Corona a cousin of mine and a friend were among those with whom I was closely interacting. For both the doctors prescribed complete bed rest for three weeks post discharge and then 3 months rest with no exposure to any physical activity not even brisk walking as the healing of lungs is a very slow process as per the doctors. My friends CT score was 13 and my cousins CT score was 18. Both of them were admitted in hospital for 3+ weeks.
Both were treated in two different locations - one in Noida and one in Chandigarh but the consultation/advice by two different doctors post recovery are almost the same.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd May 2021 at 22:55. Reason: Grammar.
IP_Man is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 22:30   #5520
BHPian

A query to Doctors:
As is being told in media that our body fights back & kills Covid virus within 5 to 10 days of catching it.
After that in some patients our immune system causes inflammation of lungs which also causes clots.
Now one query is whether Covid virus causes this inflammation during its life cycle in our bodies or whether it's our immune system that causes this inflammation?
If it's Covid virus then that would mean that after 10 days of incubation this inflammation shouldn't increase but most of the patients deteriorate after that.

If it's Covid anti-bodies then is there something peculiar about the Covid anti-bodies that's causing this massive inflammation? Because we have not heard these things about other virus illnesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post

Anyway lets not continue this discussion any further and focus on original Coronavirus discussion only.
I agree this thread is for discussion of Covid issues and so I wont say any thing except that each & every Indian appreciates each & every front line worker risking their lives and no body should harbour any doubt in their minds contrary to that.

Last edited by vb-saan : 24th May 2021 at 06:25. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks