Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 12:31   #5416
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Seeking some guidance from the experts and doctors here. I had tested positive for COVID twice, first time in Feb and once again in March. The first instance was very mild, just cold and nothing else. In the second instance last month, I had fever and severe headache. Before I tested positive the second time, I was asked by the doctor to check my anti bodies, and the result came as 0.02, which means my body did not generate anti bodies from the first infection or I may have got a different strain the 2nd time, well that’s what my doctor mentioned. Now, should I check for anti bodies once again, before vaccination? Its been nearly 4 weeks since the date of my 2nd infection in April, I assume I can take the Vaccine after 30 days, and anyway since there is an availability constraint, I see myself getting the vaccine only by 1st or 2nd week of June. Hence checking if there are any tests that I need to run before the planned vaccination? Thanks in advance!
ICMR recommends taking vaccine after 8 weeks of recovery and american CDC recommends it after 6 months. Antibodies tests are called IgM and IgG. I am not a doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkuch View Post
Hello team,
Yesterday, I woke up with slight fever and sound in nose like in cold. And the situation after 24 hours is exactly same. Some more observations:
1- I took first dose of covishield on 10 May after which I developed high fever and it stays for 24 hours. After that everything was fine.
2- On 16 May, I rook bathe late at 3PM and sit directly in front of cooler. Only after sometime I realise that it is not comfortable so I switched off the cooler. Climate at my place is such that days are hot around 32℃ and in morning it cool down to 25℃ means lot of fluctuations in temperature so I am not ruling out the normal fever.
3- on 17 May, I woke up with slight fever and nose sound. However the temperature reading are around 99.2 to 99.8. it is not touching 100 but not going down either till now.
4- no sneezing, no soar throat at all, no cough.

Can I connect with any doc here for consultation on phone.
I am not a doctor but have seen enough to regard this as covid. Get tested asap if possible even by rapid antigen. Talk to a doctor urgently and monitor it as covid infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Eminent Dr KK Agarwal passed away on 17 May after battling Covid. He helped thousands of people with short, useful Youtube videos and live Zoom sessions on properly tackling Covid threat, and was a source of credible knowledge among the noise all around. He will be missed by many of us.
He had taken 2 doses of vaccine, but looks like Covid or its after effects still found a way through.
RIP Sir!
His voice was one of sanity. He handled the situation so well that it calmed the stormed mind of viewers. Om Shanti.
Old 18th May 2021, 15:23   #5417
BHPian

Thanks for all our doctors providing excellant support here.

Need you advice on treatment for dad

1) on 7th may he had mild fever & body pain, took dolo and till date no symptons other than loss of smell & fatigue on exertion

2) Heart CT taken on 13 may shows score of 6/25

3) Blood test taken on 13th may shows D Dimer @ 328 ng/ml & CRP @ 17.30 mg/dl

4) Blood test taken on 17th may shows D Dimer @ 298 ng/ml & CRP @ 26.60 mg/dl

5) Ferritin @ 507 ng/ml, ESR 1hour 47 mm/hr, platelet 2.27 lacs / cumm

6) Tablets taken currently are
bp
moxovas 0.3 = 1-1-1
nicardia retrd 20 = 1-0-1
minipress xl 5 mg = 1-0-1
concor 5 = 1-0-0
nose pain
cazlac 80 = 0-0-1
zeptol xl 200 = 1-0-1
maxgalin 75 = 0-0-1
rozagold = 0-0-1

8) Covaxin 2nd dose taken on 17th april & had stroke in Jan 2018
dvprasad is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2021, 16:07   #5418
Senior - BHPian

This query must have been discussed in the past but in this sea of information, searching it out is a herculean task.

How to decide if one can get vaccinated or not in case if he was asymptomatic, never tested, was absolutely fine, but just that he was exposed to a Covid+ case and stayed in isolation for 14 days and came out of it assuming to be not infected. Can he go right away and take vaccination after that 14 days of isolation. Is there any harm, say just in case if he were infected but never knew?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 18th May 2021 at 16:08.
Old 18th May 2021, 20:46   #5419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
Hello Doc,

I just recovered from covid with first symptoms on May 9. Today I took a blood test, all the values are normal except d-dimer, it is .59 ng/ml. Refrange should be < .5. Anything I should take care of?
Old 18th May 2021, 21:15   #5420
Senior - BHPian

Any info from doctors about the 2 DG medicine from DRDO? Who needs it and how effective is it? I read it can replace Remdesivir at less cost and be more effective. When it will become available?
Old 18th May 2021, 22:50   #5421
Team-BHP Support

Just look at the sea of change:

The Coronavirus Thread-17e7c3090c784f45b35abf7289329005.jpeg

The Coronavirus Thread-a4e713b78467494e887140348a906048.jpeg

Isn’t this due to the various lockdowns enforced across the country? Even the TPR is on a downward trend.

The Coronavirus Thread-51612d59938f466ab6610e444d5ab66b.jpeg
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 07:07   #5422
BHPian

Some very basic questions these might have been discussed in the past also.

If one is COVID +ve in a hospital that permits an attender with a PPE suite

Once the attendant is back from the hospital
- Will washing the patients clothes in a regular washing m/c with regular washing detergent be a safe method to prevent infecting people in the house ?
- What about inert objects that are exposed in the hospital ? like maybe your spectacles, pen, bag etc.. Can these carry the virus back to your house ?
Old 19th May 2021, 07:58   #5423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Now, should I check for anti bodies once again, before vaccination? Its been nearly 4 weeks since the date of my 2nd infection in April, I assume I can take the Vaccine after 30 days, and anyway since there is an availability constraint, I see myself getting the vaccine only by 1st or 2nd week of June. Hence checking if there are any tests that I need to run before the planned vaccination? Thanks in advance!
Hi,
No need to check your antibody titers. ICMR recommendation is different but if I were you I would consider getting my 2nd shot after 60days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitkuch View Post
Hello team,
Can I connect with any doc here for consultation on phone?
Hi,
Share your number and will call you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post

8) Covaxin 2nd dose taken on 17th april & had stroke in Jan 2018
Hi,
How is his clinical status, that would guide the level of care required. I think the labs are being done so frequently without relevance. It's 10 days since his symptomps and with the data you have shared he should be recovering. Stroke 3 years earlier should not impact the present course of illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
How to decide if one can get vaccinated or not in case if he was asymptomatic, never tested, was absolutely fine, but just that he was exposed to a Covid+ case and stayed in isolation for 14 days and came out of it assuming to be not infected. Can he go right away and take vaccination after that 14 days of isolation. Is there any harm, say just in case if he were infected but never knew?
Hi,
If he or she is exposed to a positive patient but remains asymptomatic we will not know whether they got infected or not. I can't say there is a specifics recommendation for this scenario. If we act with prudence we can check the antibody titers and if IgG is positive wait for 2 months and if not detected he or she has never been infected or did not seroconvert and can take the vaccine at the earliest date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Hello Doc,

I just recovered from covid with first symptoms on May 9. Today I took a blood test, all the values are normal except d-dimer, it is .59 ng/ml. Refrange should be < .5. Anything I should take care of?
Nope. The value is slightly above normal and Will return to baseline over a period of time. If your clinical status has improved don't attach much significance to this number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Some very basic questions these might have been discussed in the past also.

If one is COVID +ve in a hospital that permits an attender with a PPE suite

Once the attendant is back from the hospital
- Will washing the patients clothes in a regular washing m/c with regular washing detergent be a safe method to prevent infecting people in the house ?
- What about inert objects that are exposed in the hospital ? like maybe your spectacles, pen, bag etc.. Can these carry the virus back to your house ?
Hi,
The answers for your questions
1. Washing with detergent is safe to prevent spreading.
2. Avoid carrying any inert objects into ICU. Though the chances are less wiping them with hand rub should suffice.
Just to point out, PPE decreases the chances but does not nullify them. Ensure doffing appropriately. Most mistakes happen when we are trying to remove the PPE.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 11:01   #5424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
08/05/21

ICU:2505
Ventilator support:1236

64% increase in ICU admission over 10 days.
131% increase in patients needing ventilator support in the same 10 days.

As per our health experts, the peak is expected in mid-May for Kerala, really scary days. Looks like the healthcare system could get overwhelmed pretty soon at this rate.
ICU:3862
Ventilator support:1474

54% increase in ICU admission over 11 days.
19% increase in patients needing ventilator support in the same 11 days.

The number of patients recovering is increasing, on 17th May, Kerala recorded a total of 99651 recoveries. On account of the surplus recoveries over the new infections, the total active cases are coming down, which is definitely good news.

Sutra prediction model is also encouraging, according to which Kerala has passed its infection peak.

One thing which worries me is whether easing off the lockdown increases the spread of the virus again?

The total number of people vaccinated + No of people infected accounts for roughly 25% of the total population in Kerala. The actual number of people infected will be far higher than the official figures. So, if we continue the vaccination drive at a maximum pace, we can avoid the third wave.

Regarding the third wave, we can actively look at what is happening in other nations, like the US, they have eased off their restrictions like wearing a mask if vaccinated, etc. If a new wave of infection occurs anywhere else, it should be a warning sign for us, we should not make the same mistake twice. We cannot afford it.

Last edited by ecenandu : 19th May 2021 at 11:03.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 13:52   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Did not mean to spam this thread with typical forwarded bits, but well, if CNN can, then..

Not sure where do they get these statistics at the drop of a hat, but glad to see some positivity around. The word "sachets" sounds very cosmetic, rather medical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Any info from doctors about the 2 DG medicine from DRDO? Who needs it and how effective is it?
The Coronavirus Thread-whatsapp-image-20210519-13.42.25.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 19th May 2021 at 13:58.
Old 19th May 2021, 14:05   #5426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post

Hi,
If he or she is exposed to a positive patient but remains asymptomatic we will not know whether they got infected or not. I can't say there is a specifics recommendation for this scenario. If we act with prudence we can check the antibody titers and if IgG is positive wait for 2 months and if not detected he or she has never been infected or did not seroconvert and can take the vaccine at the earliest date.
Is there any risk if someone gets vaccinated with 30 or 45 days of getting infected doc? Since vaccine availability has become a problem many people are in panic and want to get vaccinated if a chance arises via a local Municipal camp or workplace even though they were infected and recovered recently.
Old 19th May 2021, 15:13   #5427
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Not sure where do they get these statistics at the drop of a hat, but glad to see some positivity around. The word "sachets" sounds very cosmetic, rather medical.
I never trust anything flashing in the media/whatsapp. Mostly filtered and relatively better vetted info from the myriad of information in the public domain, is presented in this thread.
I use this thread as reference, thanks to the esteemed doctors and thorough-researching members who are active in this thread.

Media is the classic definition of 'knee jerk' behavior - the meaning of "flash news" or "just in" is long gone. Drugged/drunken misbehavior or adultery by bollywood people - that also finds place in "flash news" nowadays.

Last edited by venkyhere : 19th May 2021 at 15:14.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 16:55   #5428
BHPian

Both the mainstream media and the alternative media played a destructive role during the pandemic. In the beginning, it was the mainstream media that downplayed the problem by comparing it to the seasonal flu, that masks aren't necessary, and compared the pandemic deaths to deaths due to car accidents. In hindsight, it sounds crazy right. It's not just the flu, masks contain the transmission with very little cost and car accidents aren't chain events. No car accidents in Wuhan had ever killed anyone in the hinterland of India. We simply can't see that in isolation.

The alternative media went into the other direction by claiming that the pandemic isn't even real. It's just some harmless flu but being used by the governments to control people. People even went out protesting against 'imposition of masks' citing lack of evidence and conspiracy. This also sounds crazy, right. The problem is that Covid a novel problem. There is no way to know how bad it can get, but we prepare while assuming the worst. We treat it like a war. If you wait for the evidence to take action, it could be too late and everyone could be dead. Every war is new and it doesn't end the same way but we learn from past wars. We knew how pandemics go; that they come in waves and the second one is usually harsher, but it's hard to tell the outcome in advance. But, we don't wait to find out how bad it can get, before taking action. Some people mistake risk management for disaster recovery. We don't wait for the disaster to strike before taking action.

Then I come to another stigma that our world has with saying 'I/We don't know'. Being into consulting for so many years, it's almost a cardinal sin to say these three words either to your client or management or juniors. How hard is it for anyone to accept that we don't/didn't really know how bad it could/can get and let's just err on the side of the caution, instead of the mistaking absence of evidence for evidence of absence (quoting NNT).

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th May 2021 at 18:04. Reason: Some sections removed to avoid any kind of off-topic discussions. Thank you!
atnyia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:35   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I never trust anything flashing in the media/whatsapp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Both the mainstream media and the alternative media played a destructive role during the pandemic..
Web-only news portals are worse. They keep changing headlines every couple of hours for the same news story and see which gets most clicks. They just play on the readers' emotional triggers.

My personal filter for believing anything is if there is a follow-up story in a few days. Otherwise, ignore it as a planted agenda story.

And for the past few days, I have been practicing this while posting on this thread or in my social media groups:

The Coronavirus Thread-rumi_quotes.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th May 2021 at 18:05. Reason: Quoted post edited
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 18:12   #5430
AZT
BHPian

Just a gentle reminder of the below. I understand Remdesvir may also be dropped soon from line of treatment.

The Coronavirus Thread-covid-not-use.jpg
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks